Clashes erupt as Mexican president vi...

Clashes erupt as Mexican president visits city

There are 12 comments on the Las Cruces Sun-News story from Feb 15, 2011, titled Clashes erupt as Mexican president visits city. In it, Las Cruces Sun-News reports that:

Police fired tear gas and clashed for several hours Tuesday with teachers protesting a visit by President Felipe Calderon to the colonial city of Oaxaca.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Las Cruces Sun-News.

jon2

Mexico, Mexico

#1 Feb 16, 2011
One may falsely conclude that yesterday Oaxaca was all in turmoil.
I had many errands to run and by simple skirting the Zocolo I conducted my day as any other. Enjoying the beauty and charm of this wonderful city.
News like this should not further tarnish Mexico's image. The truly horrible things happen in the north of the country not here.
Honest tourist

Mexico

#2 Feb 16, 2011
Are you kidding???
There were shots fired, tear gas, protectors breaking up pavement and destroying ornamental parts of historic buildings to use the pieces of rock and debris to hurl at police. A car was burned in towns central square. It was SCARY!
Why do you tell lies that it wasn't serious? It's all about protecting tourism money. You and the locals covering up the dangers.
Truth be told -- tourists should think twice before coming to Mexico. I felt safer in Yemen.
gringo

Oaxaca, Mexico

#3 Feb 16, 2011
It wasn't serious just a few local thugs paid to cause some ruckus along with some left wing anarchists teachers unions who don't understand democracy or education.
Its safe! Just don't get involved in their mess.

By the way tourist, there was no gun shots, they just were shooting bottle rockets hoping to get some trigger happy police to do something stupid some the left wing media can condone their heinous despiccable actions that are contributed to reduction in economic activity and increase unemployement.
Honest tourist

Mexico

#4 Feb 16, 2011
Hey Gringo,
Check your facts
Here's the quote from news report yesterday:

"The Section 22 teachers union said 20 protesters were injured during the running clashes, which lasted several hours. Police at the scene said five officers were hurt. Reporter Gildardo Mota of Radio Rama said he was struck on the left leg by a bullet."

Were you there?
jon2

Ciudad De México, Mexico

#5 Feb 17, 2011
Hello "Honest Tourist"
If you were in the middle of it, it was your choice. One only needed to see which way the wind was blowing and skirt around it.
Personally when I'm cooking, for example, I use a spatula in the pan not my hand, common sense.

Oaxaca is again quiet and beautiful, sorry you feel so threatened by all of Mexico.
Donna

Puebla, Mexico

#6 Feb 17, 2011
jon2 wrote:
One may falsely conclude that yesterday Oaxaca was all in turmoil.
I had many errands to run and by simple skirting the Zocolo I conducted my day as any other. Enjoying the beauty and charm of this wonderful city.
News like this should not further tarnish Mexico's image. The truly horrible things happen in the north of the country not here.
I am here now and I had a glass of wine on the Zocalo and listened to some beautiful panpipe and guitar music. It was apparant that the policia were vigilant but they always look that way in Mexico, It is part of the ambiance.
Donna

Puebla, Mexico

#7 Feb 17, 2011
Hmmmm. that was me adding onto the last guy while I didn't mean too. On Friday, the 16th---The music on the Zocalo was fine and so5 was the wine.
Valley Native

Albuquerque, NM

#8 Feb 17, 2011
Now if we could get the US government do the same in terms of tax breaks for private education.

Things keep going the way they are here in the states and I might be joining you folks sooner than latter.

Hola
grtwyt

United States

#9 Feb 17, 2011
Maybe they can emulate Egypt and get rid of their entire government, they're nothing but crooks.
jon2

Ciudad De México, Mexico

#10 Feb 17, 2011
Per Valley Native.
Tax breaks for private education is one thing, tax breaks for religion based schools sort of crosses separation of church and state, yes?
Valley Native

Albuquerque, NM

#11 Feb 18, 2011
Per Jon2

The First Amendment reads "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof ...."

Think about it...
jon2

Mexico

#12 Feb 19, 2011
Valley native,
Thanks for the invitation and opportunity to think about this more. I have.

I'm with Jefferson who in 1802 referred to this "...I contemplate with sovereign reverence that act of the whole American people which declared that their legislature should 'make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof,' thus building a wall of separation between Church & State."

But this is a digression from the original point of discontent voiced by the teachers union here in Mexico. I suggest for you to review what the Mexican government and people went through with their struggles to separate church and state.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Oaxaca, Mexico Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Billions in US remittances a lifeline for many ... Apr '16 ima Ilis Myka Ash... 1
News 3 undeniable reasons to explore Mexico (Jan '13) Jan '16 seanjohn5 2
News Should This Woman Be Deported? (May '08) Dec '15 dangminhcongcom 1,256
News Chuck Barrett: Mexican immigration rooted in U.... (Sep '15) Sep '15 tomin cali 1
News Judge orders WH to release illegal immigrants f... (Jul '15) Jul '15 wild child 1
News Smith: ISIS training camps at border? Puras men... (Jul '15) Jul '15 Penske Material 3
News REPORTAJE: Salvia "Mar a pastora", de planta me... (Oct '08) Mar '15 concienciadespierta 19
More from around the web