Latino-indigenous Mexican divide stirs Calif. town

Aug 14, 2011 Full story: www.sfgate.com 20
Nearly all of Greenfield's 16,300 people are Latino and yet an ugly conflict has been brewing between longer-time residents and newcomers from another part of Mexico. Established residents say a massive influx of migrants from the Mexican state of Oaxaca has changed their city for the worse. Read more

“Work hard at work worth doing.”

Since: Apr 11

Location hidden

#1 Aug 14, 2011
Check this out, alan. The majority of people here are Latino, and they can't stand what these illegals are doing to their town...imagine that.

Ortiz and others in newly-formed community groups complained that the Oaxacan families clustered in overcrowded apartments and garages, threw trash into the streets, thronged city parks, held loud parties. Some urinated in public and were involved in break-ins.

"It's fine when you live over there in Oaxaca," said Ortiz, 53, whose grandfather came from Mexico. "But here things are done differently. Here you have to maintain your home, your children, your job and yourself."

It is pretty much what I described seeing in my town...talk your way out of this one. LMAO
Sterco

La Junta, CO

#2 Aug 14, 2011
Hey Juanitta what part of Mexihole are your from? I would take you for being ignorant enough to be an Oxassacacan.

“It matters but not very much”

Since: Oct 07

Houston, TX

#3 Aug 14, 2011
Police Chief Grebmeier ssys, "What keeps me in this fight is how many people support us."

Doesn't he understand that the people supporting him are Mexican nationals, not American citizens? Makes one wonder what kind of benefit he reaps for being a quisling. Follow the money, folks.

According to the article, the illegal foreign nationals this man aids and abets aren't contributing positively to his town. As a law enforcement officer, he sure likes to pick and choose what duly enacted laws of his country he will follow. What other laws does he blatantly ignore at his convenience?

“Call Me Curious”

Since: Oct 10

United States

#4 Aug 14, 2011
This only serves to prove that intolerance does come in all colors. Here it is Mexicans opposed to Indigenous Mexicans. No surprise, though, as the Oaxacan Indigenous Tribes have always been subjected to much the same thing that the Native American Tribes were subjected.

US indigenous were subjected to the Anglo, Spanish, and Mexicans trying to convert them and to change them culturally because they were viewed as "savages".

The Oaxacan indigenous have been and continue to be treated as inferior by Mexicans, just as other indigenous groups in Mexico. With over 60 indigenous languages, its silly to try to impose their language as the dominant one on these people. It's too much like Americans trying to impose that only English be spoken in the US.

We're too diverse a nation and people would be better off being multilingual like in other countries.

“Call Me Curious”

United States

#5 Aug 14, 2011
Independent patriot wrote:
Police Chief Grebmeier ssys, "What keeps me in this fight is how many people support us."
Doesn't he understand that the people supporting him are Mexican nationals, not American citizens? Makes one wonder what kind of benefit he reaps for being a quisling. Follow the money, folks.
According to the article, the illegal foreign nationals this man aids and abets aren't contributing positively to his town. As a law enforcement officer, he sure likes to pick and choose what duly enacted laws of his country he will follow. What other laws does he blatantly ignore at his convenience?
Where do you get that they are exclusively Mexican nationals? Some of them are, but a large number of the Latino population in the Salinas Valley are American citizens of Mexican descent. There is a huge difference in what you're stating and the facts.

The bottom line is that whether they are Mexicans or Indigenous Mexicans, if they are here illegally and without political asylum, they need to be deported. If they don't have work visas to work as migrant farm workers, deport them. It's the feds that are charged with enforcing immigration laws, not the local LEOs. Until each state changes its laws to authorize their local LEOs to deal with the immigration aspect, they can't do it; otherwise, they leave their local community government open to lawsuits by NCLR, MALDEF, LULAC, ACLU, etc.
Faith

New Baltimore, MI

#6 Aug 14, 2011
All Foreign born people in the US should be deported (along with their "anchor" babies) and our borders should be sealed. We can't afford to feed these people with welfare or house them in prisons.

“Green card?”

Since: Jan 08

Tepic, Nayarit, Mexico

#7 Aug 14, 2011
CMC1 wrote:
This only serves to prove that intolerance does come in all colors. Here it is Mexicans opposed to Indigenous Mexicans. No surprise, though, as the Oaxacan Indigenous Tribes have always been subjected to much the same thing that the Native American Tribes were subjected.
US indigenous were subjected to the Anglo, Spanish, and Mexicans trying to convert them and to change them culturally because they were viewed as "savages".
The Oaxacan indigenous have been and continue to be treated as inferior by Mexicans, just as other indigenous groups in Mexico. With over 60 indigenous languages, its silly to try to impose their language as the dominant one on these people. It's too much like Americans trying to impose that only English be spoken in the US.
We're too diverse a nation and people would be better off being multilingual like in other countries.
Interesting that you should say that, here in Tepic most speak Spanish, but, a large minority speak Cora (a form of Uto-Aztecan) and another smaller group, Huichol speak yet another language. They don't get along at all, the smaller group remains in abject poverty, the Cora are lower to lower middle class and those that Speak Spanish are from middle to upper class.
Multilingual and multiculturalism is one of the main reason Mexico is in such dire straights.
Mexico is a very class based society. This is one of the main reasons it is known as a third world county, Would you have the USA sink to that depth?

Since: Feb 09

Downtown LA

#9 Aug 15, 2011
Rogerg wrote:
<quoted text>
Interesting that you should say that, here in Tepic most speak Spanish, but, a large minority speak Cora (a form of Uto-Aztecan) and another smaller group, Huichol speak yet another language. They don't get along at all, the smaller group remains in abject poverty, the Cora are lower to lower middle class and those that Speak Spanish are from middle to upper class.
Multilingual and multiculturalism is one of the main reason Mexico is in such dire straights.
Mexico is a very class based society. This is one of the main reasons it is known as a third world county, Would you have the USA sink to that depth?
I speak a bit Huichol myself Rogelio! Have you ever dated a cora or huichol heard they are some hot babes amigo LOL!

Houston, TX

#10 Aug 15, 2011
CMC1 wrote:
You are mistaken in your beliefs about English in the USA. In this country, people can speak any language they want to speak. If they aren't understood, however, that's their problem to deal with, and their expense for a translator. They can remain isolated from society by their own lack of communication skills - that's their choice. People can live here legally and not speak a word of English, but to become citizens, they must qualify and learn rudimentary English skills.

The USA, as in most countries, conducts government business in one language - in ours, it's English. The national archives of our government documents are in English and always have been. To conduct government business in many languages puts an enormous cost burden on taxpayers. I'm sure that other countries with one national language have this for the same reasons.

The majority of the fifty US states have passed laws making English their official language. These states don't have to spend the taxpayers' money to cater to foreigners who refuse to or can't learn English. The expense of communicating rests rightfully with the non-English speakers. Foreigners have no right to come here and demand, or even expect, that things be done THEIR way.

“Call Me Curious”

United States

#11 Aug 15, 2011
<quoted text>
You are mistaken in your beliefs about English in the USA. In this country, people can speak any language they want to speak. If they aren't understood, however, that's their problem to deal with, and their expense for a translator. They can remain isolated from society by their own lack of communication skills - that's their choice. People can live here legally and not speak a word of English, but to become citizens, they must qualify and learn rudimentary English skills.
The USA, as in most countries, conducts government business in one language - in ours, it's English. The national archives of our government documents are in English and always have been. To conduct government business in many languages puts an enormous cost burden on taxpayers. I'm sure that other countries with one national language have this for the same reasons.
The majority of the fifty US states have passed laws making English their official language. These states don't have to spend the taxpayers' money to cater to foreigners who refuse to or can't learn English. The expense of communicating rests rightfully with the non-English speakers. Foreigners have no right to come here and demand, or even expect, that things be done THEIR way.
I've not even stated my beliefs on English, to the degree that you've assumed...so it appears that you are mistaken. Much of what is contained to some degree of variation are points I have made about not catering to immigrants (legal or illegal); however, your statement of trying to impose a monolingual culture is a pipe dream. You can make the claim all you want that many states have made English their official language, but that still isn't going to make the difference that you so desire.

Maybe you need to do more research as to what is considered unconstitutional by the US Supreme Court.

Here's a start for you:

http://law.jrank.org/pages/6488/English-Only-...

“Green card?”

Since: Jan 08

Tepic, Nayarit, Mexico

#12 Aug 15, 2011
joebluedog wrote:
<quoted text>I speak a bit Huichol myself Rogelio! Have you ever dated a cora or huichol heard they are some hot babes amigo LOL!
Are you in the restaurant business?
No I haven't, I have seen many very attractive ladies, many wearing what is now traditional dress, so you can tell what tribe they are from. My landlord is Cora, that is the majority here.
One of my sons married an Amerindian, but, she doesn't know too much about here ancestry (she is not from here). Got three grandchildren and a great grand child from them and they are very pretty. The great grand child is only about 4 months old now though.

Houston, TX

#13 Aug 15, 2011
CMC1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I've not even stated my beliefs on English, to the degree that you've assumed...so it appears that you are mistaken. Much of what is contained to some degree of variation are points I have made about not catering to immigrants (legal or illegal); however, your statement of trying to impose a monolingual culture is a pipe dream. You can make the claim all you want that many states have made English their official language, but that still isn't going to make the difference that you so desire.
Maybe you need to do more research as to what is considered unconstitutional by the US Supreme Court.
Here's a start for you:
You stated your beliefs about English quite clearly. Here's a direct quote from your post: It's too much like Americans trying to impose that only English be spoken in the US."

To reiterate, anyone can speak any language they want to speak in the USA. Federal government business, however, is required to be conducted in English. This is quite constitutional, as is the majority of states passing laws to make English their offical language of government business. US citizens aren't required to speak any other language than English. Non-government businesses are not required to do business in any other language. But people can SPEAK in any language they desire. If they aren't understood, that is their problem.

The difference I desire is quite met in states who have made English their official language. Their taxpayers don't bear the cost burden of translating every little thing for foreign language speakers who can't or won't learn English. Their businesses don't have to hire non-English speakers. Their schools don't have to delay students' progress to cater to non-English students.

Officially in the majority of states, de facto in the Federal government, and officially in every school system in the country, the USA IS a monoliguistic culture that is NOT imposed - rather, it is a choice the American people have made since the inception of our country.

None of this is difficult to understand. Most of the world's countries are quite the same regarding their respective languages. No research is necessary.
Klaus

Toronto, Canada

#14 Aug 15, 2011
Race war and revolution are the only solution! I lok foward to the day, coming soon, when those evil elites who have forced diversity, immigration and integration on the White people of America and the Western world are hunted down and tortured to death for their crimes.
Davy

United States

#15 Aug 15, 2011
Klaus wrote:
Race war and revolution are the only solution! I lok foward to the day, coming soon, when those evil elites who have forced diversity, immigration and integration on the White people of America and the Western world are hunted down and tortured to death for their crimes.
Hey Pally if Ya feel froggy just jump. But We all know Your a coward that wont do crap.
Klaus

Toronto, Canada

#16 Aug 15, 2011
Davy wrote:
<quoted text>Hey Pally if Ya feel froggy just jump. But We all know Your a coward that wont do crap.
Tic toc davy boy, tic toc. You'd be surprised how much fun you can have with a blow torch and a length of piano wire.
bronck burger

Bayonne, NJ

#17 Aug 15, 2011
THIS BE VERY very FUNNY

Since: Jun 11

Location hidden

#18 Aug 15, 2011
CMC1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Here's a start for you:
Anyone that reads your comments knows exactly what you're stating. This person has a habit of making inaccurate claims.

http://www.topix.com/forum/news/immigration/T...

Also worth noting, she seems to have a serious dislike/hate of anyone she perceives as Mexican. See the link within my comment on that forum. The funny thing is that on her photo, she looks Hispanic (maybe just not of Mexican heritage) which would explain the arrogance and the elitist mentality like up in the northern part of the state. LOL.

Houston, TX

#19 Aug 15, 2011
Social Assassin wrote:
<quoted text>
Anyone that reads your comments knows exactly what you're stating. This person has a habit of making inaccurate claims.
Also worth noting, she seems to have a serious dislike/hate of anyone she perceives as Mexican. See the link within my comment on that forum. The funny thing is that on her photo, she looks Hispanic (maybe just not of Mexican heritage) which would explain the arrogance and the elitist mentality like up in the northern part of the state. LOL.
My, my. So full of wishful thinking with nothing of substance to say. Oh well. Continue to blow smoke. It matters not.

Since: Jun 11

Location hidden

#20 Aug 15, 2011
<quoted text>
My, my. So full of wishful thinking with nothing of substance to say. Oh well. Continue to blow smoke. It matters not.
The only one blowing smoke you lying b!tch is you. You posted this comment first, yet you go on another forum trying to suggest something perverse.

You're one twisted b!tch. Nothing you say is credible.

Houston, TX

#21 Aug 16, 2011
Social Assassin wrote:
<quoted text>
The only one blowing smoke you lying b!tch is you. You posted this comment first, yet you go on another forum trying to suggest something perverse.
You're one twisted b!tch. Nothing you say is credible.
Gee, you should have posted the link to the reply to your wife's post, sparky, not to one in reply to Alan. Alan could be a woman. You're letting your homophobia cloud your thinking. Tsk, tsk.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Oaxaca, Mexico Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News REPORTAJE: Salvia "Mar a pastora", de planta me... (Oct '08) Mar 25 concienciadespierta 19
News Two Mexican places coming to Grand and Prospect... Feb '15 Luis 1
Salina Cruz aduana - nationalizing foreign cars (May '13) Nov '14 Citizen 10
Split Coconut Puerto Escondido Nov '14 GAME AGAIN 1
funny Oct '14 PATRIOT DVC MOLON... 1
News Migration spotlights Mexican 'coyote' smugglers (Jul '14) Jul '14 flight other 1
News Fitchburg mural honors environmentalist Marion ... (Jul '14) Jul '14 Pajama People 6
More from around the web