Food For Thought: Guacamole and cheese 'kamoosh'
Join the discussion below, or Read more at Andover Townsman.
#1 Aug 5, 2007
I too remember the 70's at La Choza--and komoosh. But--ah, memory--I recall it differently. It was tortilla chips, with cheese melted on top, with frioles on top of the cheese, all of which had been cooked, and then topped with guacamole. And, indeed, it was nirvana and a bag of chips. Does anyone know the chili con queso recipe from the same place, La Choza? Thanks
#2 Aug 27, 2007
That's the way I remember it, as well. Or maybe the beans were underneath the cheese.
#3 Mar 3, 2012
Yes...I remeber Kamoosh VERY well. While La Chosa was still in business I tried to reproduce Kamoosh. The 2 tricky parts were the tortillas and the cheese. The guacamole and rge refried beans were pretty standard:
1. Get the biggest corn tortilla chips you can find.
2. Heat the refried beans..add water to get a creamy consistency
3. Spread the warmed/hot refried beans on the tortillas...spread 1 to 2 layers of tortillas/refried beans on an oven proof plate (La Chosa used metal plates)
4. Put generous amounts of cheese on the tortillas.The type of cheese is critical. I tried all kinds. It was not sharp cheddar or monterey jack. The closest I got was sharp colby but that wasn't exact after trying sharp colby then eating at La Chosa.
5. Bake the tortilla, refried beans and cheese (sharp colby) until the cheese is well melted.
6. Top with a creamy guacomole.
This recipe comes the closest to Kamoosh from La Chosa but I know the cheese is not exact....but close!
I asked Sylvester what kind of cheese he used...his answer was ubiquitous..."Only the very best kind" further pressing he said it was some kind of American cheese (not Mexican)
Add your comments below
|195 Per Day - Feds Release 6,051 Illegal Immigr...||Nov 25||tomin cali||1|
|Mexican rape victim sentenced for murdering her...||Oct '16||Just Sayin||7|
|Trump's immigration stance could reverse trends...||Oct '16||Charlie||27|
|Man accused of raping eight-year-old girl order...||Oct '16||Emoticons||1|
|Billions in US remittances a lifeline for many ... (Apr '16)||Apr '16||ima Ilis Myka Ash...||1|
|3 undeniable reasons to explore Mexico (Jan '13)||Jan '16||seanjohn5||2|
|Should This Woman Be Deported? (May '08)||Dec '15||dangminhcongcom||1,256|
Find what you want!
Search Oaxaca, Mexico Forum Now
Copyright © 2016 Topix LLC