Food For Thought: Guacamole and cheese 'kamoosh'

There are 3 comments on the Andover Townsman story from Apr 14, 2007, titled Food For Thought: Guacamole and cheese 'kamoosh'. In it, Andover Townsman reports that:

The first time I ever ate Mexican food was at a small and dingy joint on the northern fringes of Chicago. via Andover Townsman

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Andover Townsman.

Paul Emmett

Manitowoc, WI

#1 Aug 5, 2007
I too remember the 70's at La Choza--and komoosh. But--ah, memory--I recall it differently. It was tortilla chips, with cheese melted on top, with frioles on top of the cheese, all of which had been cooked, and then topped with guacamole. And, indeed, it was nirvana and a bag of chips. Does anyone know the chili con queso recipe from the same place, La Choza? Thanks
Ouatic-7

Rockford, IL

#2 Aug 27, 2007
Paul Emmett wrote:
I too remember the 70's at La Choza--and komoosh. But--ah, memory--I recall it differently. It was tortilla chips, with cheese melted on top, with frioles on top of the cheese, all of which had been cooked, and then topped with guacamole. And, indeed, it was nirvana and a bag of chips. Does anyone know the chili con queso recipe from the same place, La Choza? Thanks
That's the way I remember it, as well. Or maybe the beans were underneath the cheese.
LunarTool

Stanton, CA

#3 Mar 3, 2012
Yes...I remeber Kamoosh VERY well. While La Chosa was still in business I tried to reproduce Kamoosh. The 2 tricky parts were the tortillas and the cheese. The guacamole and rge refried beans were pretty standard:

1. Get the biggest corn tortilla chips you can find.
2. Heat the refried beans..add water to get a creamy consistency
3. Spread the warmed/hot refried beans on the tortillas...spread 1 to 2 layers of tortillas/refried beans on an oven proof plate (La Chosa used metal plates)
4. Put generous amounts of cheese on the tortillas.The type of cheese is critical. I tried all kinds. It was not sharp cheddar or monterey jack. The closest I got was sharp colby but that wasn't exact after trying sharp colby then eating at La Chosa.
5. Bake the tortilla, refried beans and cheese (sharp colby) until the cheese is well melted.
6. Top with a creamy guacomole.

This recipe comes the closest to Kamoosh from La Chosa but I know the cheese is not exact....but close!

I asked Sylvester what kind of cheese he used...his answer was ubiquitous..."Only the very best kind" further pressing he said it was some kind of American cheese (not Mexican)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Oaxaca, Mexico Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News REPORTAJE: Salvia "Mar a pastora", de planta me... (Oct '08) Mar '15 concienciadespierta 19
News Two Mexican places coming to Grand and Prospect... Feb '15 Luis 1
Salina Cruz aduana - nationalizing foreign cars (May '13) Nov '14 Citizen 10
Split Coconut Puerto Escondido (Nov '14) Nov '14 GAME AGAIN 1
funny (Oct '14) Oct '14 PATRIOT DVC MOLON... 1
News Migration spotlights Mexican 'coyote' smugglers (Jul '14) Jul '14 flight other 1
News Fitchburg mural honors environmentalist Marion ... (Jul '14) Jul '14 Pajama People 6
More from around the web