Officials: At least 40 dead in Mexico prison riot

Full story: USA Today 53
Relatives of inmates cry while waiting outside Apodaca prison in Nuevo Leon, Mexico, on Sunday. Full Story
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

“Uzi Does It”

Since: Nov 08

UZILAND

#42 Feb 21, 2012
emperorjohn wrote:
<quoted text> Why should I not worry abut bad people? Are you sme form of idiot?
Are they going to sneak up your bung and find the hidden treasure? LOL.

“Uzi Does It”

Since: Nov 08

UZILAND

#43 Feb 21, 2012
Keep wishing bad on your neighbors to the south and they will become your next door neighbors, LOL!

BIRMINGHAM, Alabama (AP) Ana Jimenez and her husband were so terrified of being sent back to their native Mexico when Alabama's tough crackdown on illegal immigrants took effect that they fled more than 2,000 miles (3,200 kilometers) to Los Angeles, cramming into a two-bedroom apartment with more than 20 other relatives.

Now they are among the families coming back to cities like Birmingham, as the mass deportations never materialized and federal courts blocked parts of the law. No one knows how many people initially left the state, so it's impossible to say how many have returned. But some illegal immigrants are trickling back, unable to find work elsewhere and missing the place that had been home for years.

Of 18 Hispanic immigrants interviewed by The Associated Press in the Birmingham area, six said they had friends or relatives who had returned to Alabama after fleeing because of the law.

As for Jimenez, she left Birmingham with her husband, father and brother three days after the law took effect. Now, all except her brother are back. Jimenez said through a translator that not much had changed, though she can't reclaim her job at a McDonald's restaurant because managers are checking citizenship papers.

"Everything is the same. I just can't work now," Jimenez said through a translator. She said the family is living off the income of her husband, who installs carpets and flooring.
What Went Wrong

Opelousas, LA

#44 Feb 21, 2012
Of course we want these kind of folk to be Americans. 40 less is better than 40 more!
pinchejuan

Georgetown, TX

#45 Feb 21, 2012
H DELBRUK wrote:
<quoted text> I like that part about the death penalty for traffikers. It would result in a wave of executions at first, but after that, very few criminals would opt to go into that business. Without the street level distribution network, demand would dry up. Voila! End of problem. However that isn't going to happen untill we have our revolution- like China 1949.
Some people like the idea of other people dying. They're referred to as sociopaths. Or monsters. Are just plain evil. Of course, there's no reason to suppose that any expansion of "stoning the woman at the well", aka capital punishment, would be any less racially based than the current capital punishment - in fact, considering that current drug laws put such a disproportional percentage of minorities in jail, the results would increase racism in punishment.
Say What What

Newport News, VA

#46 Feb 21, 2012
So...they just made room for 40 new inmates. There is no shortage.
hextazy

Mexico, Mexico

#47 Feb 21, 2012
reza june wrote:
40 less illegal drug mules that will be entering the USA - cause for celebrating.
You will have nothing to celebrate with you mofo addicts!
hextazy

Mexico, Mexico

#48 Feb 21, 2012
Richard_ wrote:
<quoted text>LOL, the US is the world's largest consumer of illicit drugs. Only a stinking demorat like yourself would think that more government or imprisoning foreigners will stop a stupid amelican from feeding their dope habit.
Well said Sir!
hextazy

Mexico, Mexico

#49 Feb 21, 2012
Concerned wrote:
<quoted text>I live in Mexico. The drug use percentage of Mexican people here in Mexico is easilly much higher then in the USA. I see it daily as I do my business around here. They have even made it legal to have small amounts here because they know they do not have enough room in the prisons and jails to arrest all the users. So why not ask Mexico to stop their drug consumption and lead the way by example? See if it works. Why must America do everything that other countries will not do. You need to have severe penalties like China and other countries where the death penalty is common place. But that would not go over well would it?

I was in Tijuana and they have old run down buildings that are used by known Heroin users. The police do not bother them. Previously in Mexico if you were caught doing drugs and to confess to being a drug user with small amounts found on you, you were given a break. Since then they have changed the law and you can carry small amounts of the drugs legally. So what is the message they are sending to Americans?

Mexican municipalities know where many of the drug dealers live. There is a disconnect between what the Government at the top wants and what the reality is in the Cities. As an example I have been told by many people in Chihuahua, the army has a block where they live in government housing, and right across the street lives a group of violent Narco trafficers. But they live in Harmony together. They do not bother each other. People here know it but the government does nothing about it.
I also live in Mexico (since 2010) and do not agree with you. Even though drug use is not uncommon here, it's not as high and depraved as in the US. I don't know where you get your facts from but the highest drug user stats are in the US. And - yes you are right, you should be setting an example.
hextazy

Mexico, Mexico

#50 Feb 21, 2012
reza june wrote:
<quoted text>You are Wrong my friend about Iran at least, my wife happens to be Iranian and the women in her family are the bosses believe me.
Did you know that there are more females at universities in Iran than guys? And several women have held high-ranking posts in the government or parliament.

The movement for women's rights in Iran is particularly complex within the scope of the political and religious history of the country. Women have consistently pushed boundaries of societal mores and were continually gaining more political and economic rights up to the Iranian Revolution. Women heavily participated at every level of the revolution; however, within months of the formation of the Islamic republic by Ruhollah Khomeini many important rights were repealed. Almost immediately upon assumption of power by Khomeini, women protested the policies of the Islamic government.

During the last few decades, Iranian women have had significant presence in Iran's scientific movement, art movement, literary new wave and the new wave of Iranian cinema. According to the research ministry of Iran, about 6% of full professors, 8% of associate professors, and 14% of assistant professors were women in the 1998-99 academic year. However, women accounted for 56% of all students in the natural sciences, including one in five Ph.D. students. In total 60%-65% of the university students in Iran are women.

With the 2005 election of President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, Western media claimed that women's rights declined. However, after Ahmadinejad's re-election in 2009, the first female minister was appointed.
But is that only in Iran(?) I also was under the impression that women had absolutely no rights in muslim countries... Just curious..

However death penalty for drug traffices is accurate I think. I read that in the Airport long time ago.

“Reality is better than truth.”

Since: Nov 09

Indianapolis

#51 Feb 21, 2012
Telling others to set an example is just an easy way of abdicating your own responsibility for your own actions.
hextazy wrote:
<quoted text>
I also live in Mexico (since 2010) and do not agree with you. Even though drug use is not uncommon here, it's not as high and depraved as in the US. I don't know where you get your facts from but the highest drug user stats are in the US. And - yes you are right, you should be setting an example.

“Pardon my nosiness ”

Since: May 07

London, England

#52 Feb 22, 2012
hextazy wrote:
<quoted text>
But is that only in Iran(?) I also was under the impression that women had absolutely no rights in muslim countries... Just curious..
However death penalty for drug traffices is accurate I think. I read that in the Airport long time ago.
The Rights of women? It depends on the Islamic country and whether it's a theocracy, secular, the degree of inherent fundamentalism and
the historical culture of paternalism.
hextazy

Mexico, Mexico

#53 Feb 23, 2012
cpeter1313 wrote:
<quoted text>Telling others to set an example is just an easy way of abdicating your own responsibility for your own actions.
Exactly! That's exactly why I responded the same way to the original "...set an example..." poster.

In my opinion we should ALL set an example. Americans and Mexicans.
hextazy

Mexico, Mexico

#54 Feb 23, 2012
reza june wrote:
<quoted text>The Rights of women? It depends on the Islamic country and whether it's a theocracy, secular, the degree of inherent fundamentalism and
the historical culture of paternalism.
Thank you reza. I see there is more to it than just thinking that all the arab or muslim countries live and behave in a certain way, we 'westerns' criticize and reject. We should learn more about them, be educated in a healthy way. I believe that we were brain washed for decades and learned to dislike them.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Nuevo Leon, Mexico Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
A teen girl's broken heart (Feb '09) Oct 17 JackBNimble 18
Border Patrol: Leave law enforcement to the pros Sep '14 dirtbag1958 1
Nuevo Leon Music Forum (Nov '12) Sep '14 Musikologist 9
Raymond becomes major hurricane as it nears Mexico (Oct '13) Oct '13 Peter 1
Agents find 8 dead; seize nearly 6.5 tons of ma... (Aug '13) Sep '13 Juan 40
Illegal immigrant on high-speed chase arrested ... (Aug '13) Aug '13 Ask A Mojado 21
buscando (Jul '13) Jul '13 jorge rivas 1

Nuevo Leon, Mexico People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE