Sticking up for Mexico

Feb 2, 2011 Full story: Coquitlam Now

Re: "Mexican vacation turns into a nightmare," Friday, Jan. 28. I feel I must comment on the story of MLA Diane Thorne and her husband in Progreso, YucatA n. Progreso is also my second home, with my other hometown being Maple Ridge.

Full Story
Carlton

Mexico

#1 Feb 4, 2011
I live on the beach near progreso and i can tell you that if you have few friends that have been robbed, you must have few friends. There may be few mexicans that steal but they are very active. The police have not been a problem in my interaction with them but they are of little use in catching the thieves. Most mayans are nice but, like anywhere else, you always have to be on your guard.
Dwight

Sarasota, FL

#2 Feb 5, 2011
Carlton
My wife and I have gone to Mexico probably 25 times in our life and things appear to be changing. I am not criticizing the Mayan people, far from that. One of the reasons we go to the Yucatan is the Mayan people. They are truly a lovely and friendly people.
As for you telling me I have few friends...well that doesn't even deserve a response!
Oh by the way, a number of other people I know that stay in Mexico for extended period of time have been hastled by the police on their way to various places. We even me a couple from Holland that had to pay 1000 Pesos to continue on to Campeche. We were stopped driving to St Ignacio and hastled for pesos as well. All I can say is...Things are changing.

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#3 Feb 5, 2011
Mexico has many places where foreigners live, they retire there!
Those places are called Colonias!

Brits, Italians, Germans, French, Americans, Japanese, Arbas,Muslims, and more live in Mexico.
Some of you posters seem to be living in the dark ages when it comes to Americans neighbors!

Both Mexico and Canada have a rich culture, and just like the USA have many problems. Take the drug problem, the USA is what creates the opportunity for the drug culture to run rampart here.

Many of Americas poorest figured out long ago that if they were willing, smart enough, and took risks that could lead to lengthy prison terms they could become rich if they were not caught. That is one way, another is to join the ranks of politicians who rob america blind!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Nuevo Leon, Mexico Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Does Mexico need a new Zapata or Villa to lead ... Dec 10 MexicanINexile 2
El Paso Police identify man shot by officer (1:... (Dec '08) Dec 8 Concerned 4
Vigilantes Take Mexico's Safety Into Their Own ... (Jul '13) Dec 7 Sur 13 Beat 6
A teen girl's broken heart (Feb '09) Oct '14 JackBNimble 18
Border Patrol: Leave law enforcement to the pros Sep '14 dirtbag1958 1
Nuevo Leon Music Forum (Nov '12) Sep '14 Musikologist 9
Raymond becomes major hurricane as it nears Mexico (Oct '13) Oct '13 Peter 1
More from around the web

NFL Latest News

Updated 5:51 am PST