School board president jumps in to County Commission race

There are 10 comments on the The Santa Fe New Mexican story from Oct 9, 2009, titled School board president jumps in to County Commission race. In it, The Santa Fe New Mexican reports that:

AngA©lica Ruiz, president of the board of Santa Fe Public Schools, announced Friday that she intends to campaign for the District 3 County Commission seat that will be vacated by termed-out Commissioner Michael Anaya next year.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Santa Fe New Mexican.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Since: Sep 09

Albuquerque, NM

#41 Oct 11, 2009
Concerned Citizen wrote:
Really?? Worried about the economy, school, and santa feans jobs???? Wow, bringing up past history about an incident that never got charges pressed sounds like she's wanting pity sympathy to me....Is that how we get to the Top now at days???? How about talking about you want to do for SF instead???? To me, that is just plain pathetic.
FENCE RIDER!
Maria

Portales, NM

#43 Oct 11, 2009
Look at our public schools! She can't handle the job she has nor her family. I won't vote for her.
JOSE VARELA

Santa Fe, NM

#44 Oct 11, 2009
Harry Gomez wrote:
Is there any other qualify person who can run for this district that the community can support without any witch hunt? I know there has to be one person people know to be a true and honest leader that can handle the commission position. Where is he or her? I think people could start recommending names on this blogging and let the show begin!
The one true and honest leader out there that can handle the commission position is JOSE VARELA.Mr, Varela,a resident of Cieneguilla for years has worked on water issues,cleanup projects,farming,ranching and other factors affecting south Santa Fe County residents.The only problem he has is he is a republican.If we could convince ourselves that some republicans are good and honest people,we could benifit from the leadership of a person like Jose.
la cienega native

Chaparral, NM

#45 Oct 11, 2009
Jose Varela served on SF Counties CDRC committee where he disapproved several development projects. reciently Jose was an active participatant in protecting water rights for the La Cinega area, participating in the current re-write of SF Counties land use code. Jose would be an excelent canidate for SF Commissioner. He has demonistrated a caring for his local roots for years. Just ask any La Cinega resident for his oponion about Jose.
Stanley Group

Santa Fe, NM

#46 Oct 12, 2009
Jose we urge you to get in the race.I believe that the residents in the southern district are tired of the same old politicians using their offices for personal gain.Your past tenancy on the commission proved that you were an able representative for the Edgewood,Stanley and Cienega-Cieneguilla.Go for it,you have more support than you think.
Harry Gomez

Santa Fe, NM

#47 Oct 13, 2009
JOSE VARELA wrote:
<quoted text>The one true and honest leader out there that can handle the commission position is JOSE VARELA.Mr, Varela,a resident of Cieneguilla for years has worked on water issues,cleanup projects,farming,ranching and other factors affecting south Santa Fe County residents.The only problem he has is he is a republican.If we could convince ourselves that some republicans are good and honest people,we could benifit from the leadership of a person like Jose.
Sounds like this Jose Varela from Cieneguilla could change the final election outcome if he does run with it. Regardless if he is Republican, it really does not matter in this specific race for this district 3 because in past landuse and zoning cases, many of these Democrats who made it through the election cycles misrepresented thier constituants with selling out to the greedy developers and wealthy landowners. By the way, I heard this Senor Jose Varela has already proven his track record for helping many poor people in the La Cienega/Cieneguilla valley. Isn't this person the same one who was protecting the Native-American petroglyphs and water-rights stuff back in the 1990's in Cieneguilla?
Chuck Romero

Albuquerque, NM

#48 Oct 13, 2009
Harry Gomez wrote:
<quoted text>
Sounds like this Jose Varela from Cieneguilla could change the final election outcome if he does run with it. Regardless if he is Republican, it really does not matter in this specific race for this district 3 because in past landuse and zoning cases, many of these Democrats who made it through the election cycles misrepresented thier constituants with selling out to the greedy developers and wealthy landowners. By the way, I heard this Senor Jose Varela has already proven his track record for helping many poor people in the La Cienega/Cieneguilla valley. Isn't this person the same one who was protecting the Native-American petroglyphs and water-rights stuff back in the 1990's in Cieneguilla?
Mr. Gomez, I believe your talking about another Jose from the same area who has been involved in many good causes throughout Santa Fe for a long time. Anyways, I think there are some good people out there in the La Cieneguilla area that would be excellent representatives for any type of political office, but many are still employed and are too young for retirement. Yeah, I think this Varela that your speaking of should seriously consider running for this district. He has a better chance of making a difference than some of these others who claim they know what is good for the community for this area and seriously, they are just playing a political chess game with the people they do not know from the community they are suppose to represent, if they win.
la cienega native

United States

#49 Oct 14, 2009
Jose Varela sereved on the SF County commission as a replacement commissioner for a short time, he did not run for election due to his republican registration and his belief he could not win is a democratic area. Jose lives in upper La Cinega.
I think

Albuquerque, NM

#50 Oct 15, 2009
la cienega native wrote:
Jose Varela sereved on the SF County commission as a replacement commissioner for a short time, he did not run for election due to his republican registration and his belief he could not win is a democratic area. Jose lives in upper La Cinega.
he should run for this district because he has shown his true colors that no other future candidate would match his community work. He has alot of good people skills and is very knowledgeable about what is happening in this district. I hope he considers running for this commission race. He has my vote.
Candidate One

Albuquerque, NM

#51 Oct 28, 2009
I recently had a conversation with Jose Varela Lopez about his possible run for County Commisioner.He has been getting positive support from his local roots in La Cieneguilla,La Cienega and Agua Fria.An informal tour of Edgewood,Stanley and the East Mountains also showed wide spread support.Considering that this is traditional Anaya territory, a lot of folks would favorably consider a Varela-Lopez run.Historic and traditional values of this district make it unique and immune to politics as usual.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Nayarit, Mexico Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Luna County Sheriff's Office welcomes new hires (Jan '14) Aug '14 same old story 15
News Dolphins: Another world in Puerto Vallarta/Rivi... (Nov '13) Nov '13 Sirius 2
News Mexico Hopes to Expand Tourism Market to Russia... (Sep '13) Sep '13 sirius 2
News 48 hours in Madrid (Feb '13) Feb '13 Sirius 4
News Global acts of kindness (Nov '09) Jan '13 Sirius 4
News Rally planned for San Jose man facing deportation (Nov '12) Dec '12 Concerned 85
News Alejandro Martinez Passes Away After Three Year... (Aug '12) Aug '12 Osaronmcdonal 1
More from around the web