School board president jumps in to Co...

School board president jumps in to County Commission race

There are 50 comments on the The Santa Fe New Mexican story from Oct 9, 2009, titled School board president jumps in to County Commission race. In it, The Santa Fe New Mexican reports that:

AngA©lica Ruiz, president of the board of Santa Fe Public Schools, announced Friday that she intends to campaign for the District 3 County Commission seat that will be vacated by termed-out Commissioner Michael Anaya next year.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Santa Fe New Mexican.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Agnis R

Santa Fe, NM

#1 Oct 9, 2009
Wow sounds like a whack to me. If you threaten someone with an iron you should expect to get arrested. I take it there were no windows in this room? The New Mexican needs to get this police report and report the other half of the story.
Lenny

Santa Fe, NM

#2 Oct 10, 2009
will dominate this race. He should be able to win this race as he leads the Demons to the promised state championship. Figure the Judge will be is campaign manager. Go team!!!
Pete

North Charleston, SC

#3 Oct 10, 2009
Sometimes the poor cops cannot see the real problem because they bunch and look at all incidents through the same lens, especially when it involves one of their own.

A woman that can be elected to a school board and be president surely has something to offer.

Police officers can be abusers too, remember they learn how to inflict it and how to cover it up from seeing it daily.

Attention all men, if your woman wants to leave you, let her go without violence and as painful as it may be. I am sure you had a little to do with her wanting to leave too.

I guarantee you men (and with the utmost of respect to all women), you will find they have the same equipment the woman leaving does, so don't despair, heal all your wounds and try again. Don't take the same baggage to the next relationship!
Why not

Manteca, CA

#4 Oct 10, 2009
Why not elect her for county commissioner. She has done such a wonderful job for the schools, the budget is a mess, the graduation rate a joke, testing scores way down and she socializes with some of the biggest losers in town, like counselor Dominguez (hmmm?). Just another wanna be using the school board as a stepping stone to higher office. The public should demand that those who run for the school board actually have an interest in the schools, and not just themselves.
Why not

Manteca, CA

#5 Oct 10, 2009
Lenny wrote:
will dominate this race. He should be able to win this race as he leads the Demons to the promised state championship. Figure the Judge will be is campaign manager. Go team!!!
Lenny might win this race if and when he enters, but the Demons are NOT anywhere close to a championship. Especially with Lenny and his wanna be coaching staff. Lenny should have retired in the 80's after his only state chamionship. The only real coach on his staff is Gordon. The rest are self serving, coaching only as long as their sons and relatives are on the team. What a way to build a program.
Confused

Santa Fe, NM

#6 Oct 10, 2009
I thought her school board term ended in 2011. At least that it what it says on the SFPS website.
To Clarify

Santa Fe, NM

#7 Oct 10, 2009
Lenny would run for the Vacant seat of County Commissioner Harry Montoya.

Not the open seat of Commissioner Mike Anaya.
Let me see

Albuquerque, NM

#8 Oct 10, 2009
and throw in a couple of possible names who also want a piece of the piece of the County Commissioner position. I heard Commissioner Anayas' brother wants this position badly and his brother who is leaving the position is pushing for him to go for it. I also heard former commissioner Linda Grill Cede Baca from La Cienega wants to get back in the politics after being asleep in the cave for so long. But I guess the only thing to do at this time about this particular Commissioner race is not worry about something that has nothing to do with me and my own interests. Frankly, I would not vote for either one of them, period! I cannot believe the poor quality of political candiates that want to run the local county commission with county business. I remember back in the days where we had some good folks who were down to earth, straight up, honest, and highly respected indiviudals that had no closets to hide from running for political office? But now, everytime we have an election of some type, the most of these people who are running for office have something dishonest about them and no wonder no one cares anymore about what happens next.
Give me a break

Manteca, CA

#9 Oct 10, 2009
Confused wrote:
I thought her school board term ended in 2011. At least that it what it says on the SFPS website.
Yes right after the November, 2010 Elections. The school board election is in March, I think so that voter turnout is low and future politicians will get their start.

By the way, What is commissioner Anaya going to run for. Not sure if he wrecked his political life or just his marrige!
Wow

Manteca, CA

#10 Oct 10, 2009
Commissioner Anaya's brother running. Is he the one that was let go at the county for something improper? 1st we get dumb, then we get dumber.
Passer by

Upper Marlboro, MD

#11 Oct 10, 2009
test
shg

Santa Fe, NM

#12 Oct 10, 2009
Let me see wrote:
and throw in a couple of possible names who also want a piece of the piece of the County Commissioner position. I heard Commissioner Anayas' brother wants this position badly and his brother who is leaving the position is pushing for him to go for it. I also heard former commissioner Linda Grill Cede Baca from La Cienega wants to get back in the politics after being asleep in the cave for so long. But I guess the only thing to do at this time about this particular Commissioner race is not worry about something that has nothing to do with me and my own interests. Frankly, I would not vote for either one of them, period! I cannot believe the poor quality of political candiates that want to run the local county commission with county business. I remember back in the days where we had some good folks who were down to earth, straight up, honest, and highly respected indiviudals that had no closets to hide from running for political office? But now, everytime we have an election of some type, the most of these people who are running for office have something dishonest about them and no wonder no one cares anymore about what happens next.
So if you remember "back in the days when we had some good folks, who were down to earth, straight up, honest and highly respected individuals" then you should be able to remember that Linda C de Baca Grill was a County Commissioner than. And a damn good one at that!!!
Eldorado Res

Albuquerque, NM

#13 Oct 10, 2009
Eldorado in not in disctrict 3. Man, what a bunch of zipper-heads.
SFWatchdog

Cerrillos, NM

#14 Oct 10, 2009
What kind of priorities are these?
"Ruiz said retaining county services and jobs, attracting new business to Santa Fe and improving public safety would be some of her top priorities."
SF County has numerous issues far greater. Ruiz better come up with something that we need real change for to get my vote.
sounds

Albuquerque, NM

#15 Oct 10, 2009
SFWatchdog wrote:
What kind of priorities are these?
"Ruiz said retaining county services and jobs, attracting new business to Santa Fe and improving public safety would be some of her top priorities."
SF County has numerous issues far greater. Ruiz better come up with something that we need real change for to get my vote.
good to me.
Confused

Santa Fe, NM

#16 Oct 10, 2009
Give me a break wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes right after the November, 2010 Elections. The school board election is in March, I think so that voter turnout is low and future politicians will get their start.
By the way, What is commissioner Anaya going to run for. Not sure if he wrecked his political life or just his marrige!
The article says that Angelica would start her Commissioner role in January 2010 and that her School Board position would end in February 2010. That is why I am confused. Read the article.
Dollars4Schools

Poway, CA

#17 Oct 10, 2009
Most of the SF school board members are lackeys and stooges of the teachers union which is dedicated to continued mediocrity and tenure and precious little about badly needed improvement of our dismal schools.
Let me see

Albuquerque, NM

#18 Oct 10, 2009
shg wrote:
<quoted text>
So if you remember "back in the days when we had some good folks, who were down to earth, straight up, honest and highly respected individuals" then you should be able to remember that Linda C de Baca Grill was a County Commissioner than. And a damn good one at that!!!
Hey "shg", you got to be kidding? Where in the beans and farts did you come from? What I remember about this gal, she sold out her own people in the traditional village of La Cienega to wealthy developers in the early 90's. So, do you really think she was a "damn good one at that!" I been living in Cerrillos, NM for over sixty-five years and have many family ties to La Cienega and what I remember is what she did to harm a traditional way of life for many of those poor farmers (like my dad) who were trying to keep thier water-rights from being threaten to be taken away or sold to the developers for pennies. And this former commissioner did not fight to keep those old folks from being taken advantage from by these greedy dogs. Yeah, Mr. shg, go back to your cave with this sell-out. If she decides to run, I can bet you would see their sons, daughters, children, and thier grandchildren of these poor farmers who were taken advantage of come out in hundreds to oppose her and what she stands for! My dad and mother are no longer here but I am to speak on thier behalf. Yes sir, mark my words.
school parent

Santa Fe, NM

#19 Oct 10, 2009
Does anyone remember the article about keeping Alvord School open? Even the board member representing that district wanted to close the school but Ruiz and Gov. Richardson (in some secret meeting) did not listen to the majority of constituents and kept the school open, despite poor performance and the financial drain on the budget. Meanwhile other children pay the price. How do we know she'll work in the best interest of county residents instead of an elite few?
Huh

Albuquerque, NM

#20 Oct 10, 2009
Lenny wrote:
Uh lenny roybal dosent live in this district (District 3). Therefore, wont be running against Ruiz. I believe hes from northern nm (District 1). Good luck to him though.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Nayarit, Mexico Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Luna County Sheriff's Office welcomes new hires (Jan '14) Aug '14 same old story 15
News Dolphins: Another world in Puerto Vallarta/Rivi... (Nov '13) Nov '13 Sirius 2
News Mexico Hopes to Expand Tourism Market to Russia... (Sep '13) Sep '13 sirius 2
News 48 hours in Madrid (Feb '13) Feb '13 Sirius 4
News Global acts of kindness (Nov '09) Jan '13 Sirius 4
News Rally planned for San Jose man facing deportation (Nov '12) Dec '12 Concerned 85
News Alejandro Martinez Passes Away After Three Year... (Aug '12) Aug '12 Osaronmcdonal 1
More from around the web