Armed teachers turn violent in pay ba...

Armed teachers turn violent in pay battle

There are 5 comments on the Scotsman.com News story from Jun 23, 2006, titled Armed teachers turn violent in pay battle. In it, Scotsman.com News reports that:

IN OAXACA DE JUAREZ, MEXICO STRIKING teachers, including some armed with machetes and guns, hijacked and burned buses and blocked about 20 motorways as their battle for a pay increase intensified.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Scotsman.com News.

Randy Hinthorn

Seattle, WA

#1 Jul 1, 2006
The author of this article has the facts completely backward and completely incorrect.
We live in Oaxaca, been there 4 plus years and we were in the city when the governor of Oaxaca state sent police units into the area where the teachers were "camping". The police entered the area about 4:00AM and were seen beating people with clubs, tearing down and burning the tarps and tents teachers were using as sleeping places.
The violence on the part of the police personnel was the primary reason more than 85 human rights and social justice organizations joined the teachers in their protest, which now calls for the resignation of the Ulises Ortiz Ruiz as governor.
You need to print a notice of this major error.
Randy and Susan Hinthorn
bob

Makanda, IL

#2 Dec 8, 2006
arming teachers is crazy
Patrick

Apizaco, Mexico

#3 Dec 8, 2006
I too live in Oaxaca and have been here the entire time and found the article accurate. It was not a complete history of what has happened but no one can deny buses and trucks were stolen and burned, highways and streets were blocked, people were beaten for being "spies", and private homes were defaced with graffiti. No one can deny the poor children were denied education for six months and have effectively lost almost a year of school. Thousands have no income because we have virtually no tourism. People are suffering.

I am certainly no fan of the governor, or the last governor, or the next governor. I am also no fan of the corrupt teachers' union or the APPO thugs. The only ones I can side with are the people of Oaxaca. They have my sympathy. The teachers don't.
Dave Tallent

Oakland, CA

#4 Dec 10, 2006
(APPOs) principles include guelaguetza, a Zapotec word meaning mutual aid, and tequio, which is unpaid community work.

How does this translate into vandalism, obstruction of freedom of movement and commerce,
usurpation of a democratically elected government and intimidation and murder of dissidents?
Hombre

United States

#5 Dec 11, 2006
Dave Tallent wrote:
(APPOs) principles include guelaguetza, a Zapotec word meaning mutual aid, and tequio, which is unpaid community work.
How does this translate into vandalism, obstruction of freedom of movement and commerce,
usurpation of a democratically elected government and intimidation and murder of dissidents?
It doesn't. It's a perversion, much like homosexuality. Those who do it support it, but everyone else knows it's wrong.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Nayarit, Mexico Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Luna County Sheriff's Office welcomes new hires (Jan '14) Aug '14 same old story 15
News Dolphins: Another world in Puerto Vallarta/Rivi... (Nov '13) Nov '13 Sirius 2
News Mexico Hopes to Expand Tourism Market to Russia... (Sep '13) Sep '13 sirius 2
News 48 hours in Madrid (Feb '13) Feb '13 Sirius 4
News Global acts of kindness (Nov '09) Jan '13 Sirius 4
News Rally planned for San Jose man facing deportation (Nov '12) Dec '12 Concerned 85
News Alejandro Martinez Passes Away After Three Year... (Aug '12) Aug '12 Osaronmcdonal 1
More from around the web