A faith-based approach to undocumented immigration

There are 13 comments on the MySA.com story from May 24, 2008, titled A faith-based approach to undocumented immigration. In it, MySA.com reports that:

A small group of faith-driven activists in San Antonio has a message for unauthorized immigrants who are being run out from coast to coast by new laws and massive raids: You're welcome here.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at MySA.com.

Bob Burns

Kunming, China

#1 May 24, 2008
What's your address. I've got a package for you. Tickets to see "77 Virgins"
Indiana Wiseman

Michigan City, IN

#2 May 24, 2008
Arrest those religious crazies. Ruin their lives. Only then will they see that God is NOT on the side of mojados.

“Home In Georgia Now”

Since: Jul 07

The "City of Gold" in Georgia

#3 May 24, 2008
"The activists, all Catholics." Ahh that explains about 99% of it.
Sandollar

Saint Louis, MO

#4 May 25, 2008
John In North Carolina wrote:
"The activists, all Catholics." Ahh that explains about 99% of it.
Ummm.... dont be so quick to judge .....

Here is what I saw in the article ....

Critics of the plan — including anti-illegal-immigration groups, government officials and THE TOP CATHOLIC LEADER in South Texas — warn that “Grupo Romo” is misguided at best and willfully breaking the law at worst.

I am Catholic and I feel the same way , I dont support this at all .

Helping with safe passage home , yes.

Illegal immigration has ruined south Texas for everyone , no matter what color you are.

She Be Me

AOL

#5 May 25, 2008
SHUT this "church" down and seize everything under the RICO law. Jail the "priest" as a terrorist and charge anyone who is an active member of that "church" as an accomplice/co-conspiritor and seize their personal assets too.

“Home In Georgia Now”

#6 May 25, 2008
Sandollar you are correct. Let me be clear I DO NOT INCLUDE ALL CATHOLICS in my statement. As I do not include ALL HISPANICS for the problem we face with "ILLEGAL ALIENS".

However there is a lot of evidence that the Catholic Church is one of the problems with giving sanctuary to "ILLEGAL ALIENS" and their "ANCHOR BABIES".
Sandollar

Saint Louis, MO

#7 May 25, 2008
Thank you John ,,, and that is true , with some border parishes....
I am really sensitive to this because I had to come back to the US 2 years ago in an emergency and bring my European husband with me ,, of course.
We are BOTH Catholic and we went through immigration the legal way , it took one terrble expensive year , doing it ourselves , with no lawyer cost us right at 3500. including gasoline to San Antonio for our required appointments .

We got no help at all,like what they are talking about and we are LEGAL , so yes it REALLY makes me mad .

I had to take care of both of us on our own until he got his work permit 10 mo later,,After having liver surgery of all things in the middle of it ,, some weeks we had to split 25.00 between the 3 of us .

Our parish helped us by giving my husband odd jobs to do for elderly parishoners until his work permit came through , but they knew our immigration was legal and pending , and that my husband had a professional job waiting for him when the work permit came through.

so no , It makes me angry to read about stuff like that , we did it right and nearly starved to death.

In the middle of our struggle , there was a woman they picked up outside of Kingsville , walking from Mexico , she spat that kid out as they got her in the ambulance,, right then she surpassed my husband and I and out youngest daughter in rights and priviledges , help , food , housing and work ,, made me SICK ,, it makes me want to leave here NOW !
NE Red

United States

#8 May 25, 2008
Sandollar you are correct. Let me be clear I DO NOT INCLUDE ALL CATHOLICS in my statement. As I do not include ALL HISPANICS for the problem we face with "ILLEGAL ALIENS".
However there is a lot of evidence that the Catholic Church is one of the problems with giving sanctuary to "ILLEGAL ALIENS" and their "ANCHOR BABIES".
And the reason Hispanic females give birth as fast as possible.

“Home In Georgia Now”

#9 May 25, 2008
Sandollar I am sorry that you and your family had to go through such hard times in an effort to "do it the right way". You statement about the birth of the "ANCHOR BABY" just gives more fuel to the fire.

I have a question about the application of the 14th amendment to "ANCHOR BABIES".

Article 30 of the Mexican Constitution states "Mexican nationality is acquired by birth or naturalalization.

MEXICANS BY BIRTH ARE:
1.Those that are born in the territory of the Republic, whatever the nationality of their parents.

2.Those born outside Mexican territory of one or both parents that were born in Mexico.

3.Anyone born outside of Mexico of one or both parents that are naturalized Mexicans

4.Those born on board Mexican ships or aircraft.

Now the 14th amendment states:
Section 1. All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside. No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.

The purpose of section 1 was to assure former slaves born in the US would be citizens.

In 1884 the case of Elk v Wilkins the Supreme Court ruled children of Native Americans were not citizen though born in the US. This was rectified with the passage of The Indian Citizenship Act of 1924

In 1898 in The United States v Wong Kim Ark the Supreme Court ruled that children born on US soil,with limited exceptions are US citizens.

The Supreme Court has never ruled on the issue of "ANCHOR BABIES" born to "ILLEGAL ALIENS". In the case of INS v Rios-Pineda and Plyer v Doe the court has suggested or indirectly assumed these "ANCHOR BABIES" are citizens.

My question is this. If these "ANCHOR BABIES" are citizens of Mexico, then they owe an allegiance to Mexico not the United States. Therefore these "ANCHOR BABIES" are not "subject to the jurisdiction thereof" of the United States.

I feel that if this issue was pursued in the climate that exsists today, the Supreme Court would issue a ruling stating the children born in the US of Mexican parent(s) are not citizens. This same line of application would apply to any country that has a similiar wording of citizenship application like Mexico.

“The End Of America Coming Soon”

Since: Dec 07

Welfare State

#10 May 25, 2008
Need a place to stay? They can find one for you. Pockets and stomach empty? They'll get you some food. Too afraid to go to a hospital? They'll line up a doctor.

Boy are they asking for trouble! These scumbags will have thousands stashed and claim they don't have a penny to their name.
They'll dry up every dime and every avaiable resource this Church and it's members have.
I can just hear the sob stories now.

Welfare State

#11 May 25, 2008
Sandollar wrote:
Thank you John ,,, and that is true , with some border parishes....
I am really sensitive to this because I had to come back to the US 2 years ago in an emergency and bring my European husband with me ,, of course.
We are BOTH Catholic and we went through immigration the legal way , it took one terrble expensive year , doing it ourselves , with no lawyer cost us right at 3500. including gasoline to San Antonio for our required appointments .
We got no help at all,like what they are talking about and we are LEGAL , so yes it REALLY makes me mad .
I had to take care of both of us on our own until he got his work permit 10 mo later,,After having liver surgery of all things in the middle of it ,, some weeks we had to split 25.00 between the 3 of us .
Our parish helped us by giving my husband odd jobs to do for elderly parishoners until his work permit came through , but they knew our immigration was legal and pending , and that my husband had a professional job waiting for him when the work permit came through.
so no , It makes me angry to read about stuff like that , we did it right and nearly starved to death.
In the middle of our struggle , there was a woman they picked up outside of Kingsville , walking from Mexico , she spat that kid out as they got her in the ambulance,, right then she surpassed my husband and I and out youngest daughter in rights and priviledges , help , food , housing and work ,, made me SICK ,, it makes me want to leave here NOW !
I know how angry you must feel.
I had to go to the ER Friday night with a friend.
There were signs posted all over the place in Spanish informing them of their "right" to "free" treatment. It also stated this "free treatment" included a newborn too. In other words they were telling them to "come one, come all"...free deliveries on the house! It made my blood boil!

“Home In Georgia Now”

#12 May 25, 2008
Hey Fed Up, I borrowed your avatar. It now graces my desktop. Thanks!!!

Welfare State

#13 May 25, 2008
Hey Fed Up, I borrowed your avatar. It now graces my desktop. Thanks!!!
No problem...glad you like it.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Nayarit, Mexico Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Luna County Sheriff's Office welcomes new hires (Jan '14) Aug '14 same old story 15
News Dolphins: Another world in Puerto Vallarta/Rivi... (Nov '13) Nov '13 Sirius 2
News Mexico Hopes to Expand Tourism Market to Russia... (Sep '13) Sep '13 sirius 2
News 48 hours in Madrid (Feb '13) Feb '13 Sirius 4
News Global acts of kindness (Nov '09) Jan '13 Sirius 4
News Rally planned for San Jose man facing deportation (Nov '12) Dec '12 Concerned 85
News Alejandro Martinez Passes Away After Three Year... (Aug '12) Aug '12 Osaronmcdonal 1
More from around the web