'Obama Effect' Highlights Racism in Cuba

'Obama Effect' Highlights Racism in Cuba

There are 32 comments on the News.ncmonline.com story from Dec 16, 2008, titled 'Obama Effect' Highlights Racism in Cuba. In it, News.ncmonline.com reports that:

Editor's Note: Barack Obama's victory has made Cubans more willing to speak out against the institutional racism that exists half a century after Fidel Castro established a "color blind" egalitarian society.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at News.ncmonline.com.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

“CUBA Y PUERTO RICO HERMANOS”

Since: Dec 06

San Juan,Puerto Rico

#1 Dec 16, 2008
Castro's dictatoship has keep racism alive and thriving. Just look and the Castro's government members and you will find pershaps 3 or 4 blacks out of hundreths o whites Yes sir,Obama will be Castro's worst nightmare!
"Cuba, I am inclined to believe, is nervous about the impact that a black president in the White House could have upon its own black population,” writes Carlos Moore, a black Cuban of Jamaican ancestry and author of “Pichón: Race and Revolution in Castro's Cuba,” in the Miami Herald".

Since: Jul 07

Montreal

#3 Dec 16, 2008
Yes, racism is very well alive in Cuba. It is made worst by the fact that everyone is so poor, so there are no room left for a "negro" . At the Hotels, the Cooks are white and guess who is washing the dishes... a black man.
----------
I bet that Castro doesn't even want the embargo to be lifted neither.. what excuses will he have then.

Since: Jul 07

Montreal

#4 Dec 16, 2008
hey thinking about it, i rarely see any blacks in the police force and the army in cuba... On the street we see plenty of black at an age when the other colors are in the army (obligatory).. I'm trying to search my memory as far as I can and I NEVER saw a black policeman or army guy. We can see some LARGE black man as security in the hotel though.

white Cuban never have a black girlfriend, it is seen as being very bad...even the mulatto which are the most numerous type are regarded as being "too dark"

“CUBA Y PUERTO RICO HERMANOS”

Since: Dec 06

San Juan,Puerto Rico

#5 Dec 16, 2008
kebecano wrote:
Yes, racism is very well alive in Cuba. It is made worst by the fact that everyone is so poor, so there are no room left for a "negro" . At the Hotels, the Cooks are white and guess who is washing the dishes... a black man.
----------
I bet that Castro doesn't even want the embargo to be lifted neither.. what excuses will he have then.
Exactly!You are speaking the truth my friend. I have seen that with my very own eyes.I had also seen how they use the 'mulatas' as sexual 'merchandise'!
If you go, for example to Hotel Melia at Miramar which is a hotel that employs more than 400 employess I can assure you that unless you go to the kitchens(Or working as hotel security guards ,) you won't be seen more than 10 mulatos or a blacks faces !In other words at positions where they can't have any access to tips from tourist. Black also suffer more than the rest of the Cubans,because few blacks have relatives abroad to help them. I believe that first ones that will soon revolt against the Castro's dictatorship will be the young black Cubans. Obama will be an inspiration to them and they are already wondering why its posible for an AfroAmerican to become elected president on a free elections in the so called (by Castro)'hated imperialism',but its imposible for an AfroCuban to get a decent job! Yes my friends..Obama will become Castro's worst nightmare. This is just the begining!

“CUBA Y PUERTO RICO HERMANOS”

Since: Dec 06

San Juan,Puerto Rico

#6 Dec 16, 2008
kebecano wrote:
hey thinking about it, i rarely see any blacks in the police force and the army in cuba... On the street we see plenty of black at an age when the other colors are in the army (obligatory).. I'm trying to search my memory as far as I can and I NEVER saw a black policeman or army guy. We can see some LARGE black man as security in the hotel though.
white Cuban never have a black girlfriend, it is seen as being very bad...even the mulatto which are the most numerous type are regarded as being "too dark"
True!

“CUBA Y PUERTO RICO HERMANOS”

Since: Dec 06

San Juan,Puerto Rico

#7 Dec 16, 2008
kebecano wrote:
hey thinking about it, i rarely see any blacks in the police force and the army in cuba... On the street we see plenty of black at an age when the other colors are in the army (obligatory).. I'm trying to search my memory as far as I can and I NEVER saw a black policeman or army guy. We can see some LARGE black man as security in the hotel though.
white Cuban never have a black girlfriend, it is seen as being very bad...even the mulatto which are the most numerous type are regarded as being "too dark"
Kebecano!
This is my opinion based in what I had seen in Cuba,please let me know based in you experiences in Cuba ,if you agree or not with what I'm saying!! I will appreciate your opinion!Thank you!
All policemen in Havana are from Santiago de Cuba(Oriente) very few from Havana. Also most of hotel security guards are huge afroCubans who used to be body guards or former athletes! In Cuban a white man may go out with a dark woman for a one night stand and they won't be seeing that as bad,but if a white Cuban girl goes out with a back Cuban man even for a night ,they will call her an easy cheap girl,a slut! Unfortunately that is the way it is in today Castro's Cuba!

Since: Jul 07

Montreal

#8 Dec 17, 2008
yes i've heard about the fact that policemen come from another province, to prevent corruption with "helping" the family and stuff like this..

As you say, all the other blacks are hidden or don't have access to the $$. No wonder why the bandits are all blacks.

It took me a while to see what was going on with the mulatas and the racism in Cuba, I find them more attractive than pure white or black girls, so I was presuming that a Cuban man would also think the same. I am not racist so I tend to be naive and think that many people are the same as me, until someone explained to me that if I look well, i will not see many MIX races couples. Only for a quickie , as you say.

For many years now i don't go anymore in the discos or for girls $$, so I am somewhat not informed that much anymore on the subject but from what I see at the hotel and on the beach, most of the real whore are mulatas or black. At the disco, I went there once last year and it's a mix of all colors but there are more white girls than blacks or mulata.

All depend of where we go, in some cities , it's almost all white and others are mostly black.

“CUBA Y PUERTO RICO HERMANOS”

Since: Dec 06

San Juan,Puerto Rico

#9 Dec 17, 2008
kebecano wrote:
yes i've heard about the fact that policemen come from another province, to prevent corruption with "helping" the family and stuff like this..
As you say, all the other blacks are hidden or don't have access to the $$. No wonder why the bandits are all blacks.
It took me a while to see what was going on with the mulatas and the racism in Cuba, I find them more attractive than pure white or black girls, so I was presuming that a Cuban man would also think the same. I am not racist so I tend to be naive and think that many people are the same as me, until someone explained to me that if I look well, i will not see many MIX races couples. Only for a quickie , as you say.
For many years now i don't go anymore in the discos or for girls $$, so I am somewhat not informed that much anymore on the subject but from what I see at the hotel and on the beach, most of the real whore are mulatas or black. At the disco, I went there once last year and it's a mix of all colors but there are more white girls than blacks or mulata.
All depend of where we go, in some cities , it's almost all white and others are mostly black.
You are correct in your appreciation about my country society. It has been like that for ages,before and under Castro too.!Cuba is not an easy country to understand,that's why some people that go there for a 5 days vacations get many wrong ideas about Cuba,Cubans or the Castro's dictatorship. Also you are very correct about almost all white cities and others almost all black or almost all mulattos. Cuba is not a racely homogeneous country like the rest of the Caribbean and most of LatinAmerica were their populations are heavely racially mixed!If you go to some cities and not to anothers,you may come back with a wrong image of race in Cuba. Also as I'm sure you know,because you have lived there,Cubans has two faces(Doble cara) when they talk about politics and mostly in front of a foreigner. That's why for example,many Canadians left Cuba with a wrong opinion about Cubans's race or Cubans real political belief. I'm very happy that you can understand us,because you have lived there and have friends and family there. Yes, Cubans are racists in their(our too)own odd ways. Maybe a white Cuban won't allow his white sister to marry his best black or mulato friend,but if that black or mulato friend is attacked by others(Even if they are white like him) he is capable of risking his life to defend his black or mulato friend.It also happen between blacks to whites,blacks to mulatos and vice versa !Like I said before we are not very easy to understand,but that's the way it is and always be..my friend!Why I have seen different in Cuba if you compare the preCastro Cuba and Cuba today is that the mulata before Castro was considered a sexy,beautiful,hot woman. Now is the same,but they now they use the mulata as a sexual piece of meat, to lure the tourist and sadly its been promoted by the Cuban government. Just check at any travel agency in Canada or Europe and you will see that the posters(prepared by the Cuban Tourism Ministry) about Cuba,show 98% of the times some sexy light clothed mulatas! Right?
Tinsnip13

Carpinteria, CA

#10 Dec 17, 2008
kebecano"]hey thinking about it, i rarely see any blacks in the police force and the army in cuba... On the street we see plenty of black at an age when the other colors are in the army (obligatory).. I'm trying to search my memory as far as I can and I NEVER saw a black policeman or army guy. We can see some LARGE black man as security in the hotel though.
white Cuban never have a black girlfriend, it is seen as being very bad...even the mulatto which are the most numerous type are regarded as being "too dark"

Hermano that is true Cuban exiles are very racist. Just look at WJDC. He floated to Miami in 1960 with his boyfriend Jorge and because he was black and gay was ostracizesed by the very few white Miami Cubans. Poor guy had to move with his boyfriend to Puerto Rico. There he did OK and can afford to go fishing but in Miami he was shunned because of his color and sexual orientation. Pobricito mariposa
IMAFREEMAN

United States

#12 Dec 24, 2008
GOD said: go to, let us go down and make the people speak many languages, and it was so.
What makes you think HE didn’t come down again to make people of different colors and levels of stupid.
Im inclined to think HE did, that is why we are here in this prison, and you masturbate.

“HURT ME & MAKE ME STRONGER!”

Since: Nov 08

Where Freedom Dwells!

#13 Dec 25, 2008
Merry CHRISTmas!

“TRUE AMERIICAN”

Since: Nov 08

Tempe AZ

#14 Dec 30, 2008
LigerOmniPotentMaxx wrote:
Merry CHRISTmas!
__________

What's this Cuban Forum doing in the Mexican Forum ? The Cubans have their own forum.

GO AWAY !
FREEMAN

United States

#15 Dec 30, 2008
THATS IT MAN!!!!!.....
GOING BACK TO MEXICO!!!!!!!!!!
where the babes are underdeveloped, DELICIOUS!!!!!!!!!!
FREEMAN

United States

#16 Dec 30, 2008
IS THAT TRUE LigerOmniPotentMaxx?????
YOu coME BACK HERE! NOT finished with YOU YET!!
Tinsnip13

Carpinteria, CA

#17 Dec 30, 2008
WE JUST DONT CARE ABOUT BEING A MULATA
Exactly!You are speaking the truth my friend. I have seen that with my very own eyes.I had also seen how they use the 'mulatas' as sexual 'merchandise'!
If you go, for example to Hotel Melia at Miramar which is a hotel that employs more than 400 employess I can assure you that unless you go to the kitchens(Or working as hotel security guards ,) you won't be seen more than 10 mulatos or a blacks faces !In other words at positions where they can't have any access to tips from tourist. Black also suffer more than the rest of the Cubans,because few blacks have relatives abroad to help them. I believe that first ones that will soon revolt against the Castro's dictatorship will be the young black Cubans. Obama will be an inspiration to them and they are already wondering why its posible for an AfroAmerican to become elected president on a free elections in the so called (by Castro)'hated imperialism',but its imposible for an AfroCuban to get a decent job! Yes my friends..Obama will become Castro's worst nightmare. This is just the begining!

Buddy everyone on this board knows about your problems of being a Cuban black and gay and being accepted in Miami. Thankfully you and Jorge were recieved well in Puerto Rico. Hermano the world is changing you gays are more and more accepted. Look hermano the younger Cubans in Miami are now much more open than when you and Jorge first tried to live there. Maybe you could move back to Miami have you and Jorge ever thought of that?

“ELIMINATE COMMUNISM!”

Since: Nov 08

WHEREVER FREEDOM DWELLS!

#18 Dec 31, 2008
Hi folks having a good time at South Beach!

Wish you all a Happy New Year!
Tinsnip13

Carpinteria, CA

#19 Dec 31, 2008
"WE JUST DONT CARE ABOUT WHITE CUBANS ANYMORE"]Castro's dictatoship has keep racism alive and thriving. Just look and the Castro's government members and you will find pershaps 3 or 4 blacks out of hundreths o whites Yes sir,Obama will be Castro's worst nightmare!
"Cuba, I am inclined to believe, is nervous about the impact that a black president in the White House could have upon its own black population,” writes WE JUST DONT CARE, a black Cuban of Jamaican ancestry and author of “Pichón: Race and Revolution in Castro's Cuba,” in the Miami Herald".

Buddy, look being black and Cuban like you should no longer be a burden. You live in Puerto Rico that has many blacks. I worry about Dr Burro who is now in South Beach FL. Remember you complained last year about how promiscuous he was. Hopefully he wears protection this year. When are you coming to California? Happy New Year!

“ELIMINATE COMMUNISM!”

Since: Nov 08

WHEREVER FREEDOM DWELLS!

#20 Jan 1, 2009
May the New Year bring Cuba:

Freedom for Oscar Elias Biscet & the rest of the unjustly imprisoned political dissidents!

freedom for the over 2000 kidnapped children and allow them to reunite with their parents!

OSCAR ELIAS BISCET for PRESIDENT of a Democratic Cuba with free enterprise!!!!!
Live from Bolivia

Santa Cruz, Bolivia

#21 Jan 8, 2009
Obama is a socialist disguised as a democrat. So socialist, in fact, that other socialist world leaders (like president Hugo Chavez of Venezuela and Evo Morales of Bolivia and Raul Castro of Cuba and the President of Iran) recognize his socialist tendencies right away and are extremely happy he's been elected.

They have, in fact, recently likened him to themselves and welcomed his election, stating that they are now sure that relations between Venezuela and the US and between Bolivia and the US and between Cuba and the US will very much improve. But you probably don't get that news in the U.S.

We all know how well socialism has worked in the past, at least those of us who have lived in countries like Bolivia and Cuba.

Let me tell you what Cubans in CUBA (not Miami) have to say about the embargo, and I quote:

Cuba is a teeny island, just a speck on the world map, and Castro is just one of many dictators in the world, who would have NEVER gained the power and glory he has gained if the US had lifted the embargo decades ago.

By keeping the embargo on Cuba, the US inadvertently gave Castro more power than he would have EVER had as well as an excuse for why things are so bad in Cuba and someone else to blame other than himself.

He's been playing the "things are bad in Cuba because of the US embargo" game for so long he actually believes it.

If the US had lifted the embargo, Castro would have been ousted by the Cubans themselves decades ago because it would have been so obvious his socialist policies do not work!

And he would not have had any influence on current socialist dictators who are following in his footsteps, consider him their best friend, like Hugo Chavez and Evo Morales, who are trying to emulate Castro to the point of driving their countries' economies into the ground.

The US made Castro the powerful emblem of anti-americanism and socialist "success" that he is today."

And that's what Cuban Cubans have to say about that.

“ELIMINATE COMMUNISM!”

Since: Nov 08

WHEREVER FREEDOM DWELLS!

#22 Jan 8, 2009
Live from Bolivia wrote:
Obama is a socialist disguised as a democrat. So socialist, in fact, that other socialist world leaders (like president Hugo Chavez of Venezuela and Evo Morales of Bolivia and Raul Castro of Cuba and the President of Iran) recognize his socialist tendencies right away and are extremely happy he's been elected.
They have, in fact, recently likened him to themselves and welcomed his election, stating that they are now sure that relations between Venezuela and the US and between Bolivia and the US and between Cuba and the US will very much improve. But you probably don't get that news in the U.S.
We all know how well socialism has worked in the past, at least those of us who have lived in countries like Bolivia and Cuba.
Let me tell you what Cubans in CUBA (not Miami) have to say about the embargo, and I quote:
Cuba is a teeny island, just a speck on the world map, and Castro is just one of many dictators in the world, who would have NEVER gained the power and glory he has gained if the US had lifted the embargo decades ago.
By keeping the embargo on Cuba, the US inadvertently gave Castro more power than he would have EVER had as well as an excuse for why things are so bad in Cuba and someone else to blame other than himself.
He's been playing the "things are bad in Cuba because of the US embargo" game for so long he actually believes it.
If the US had lifted the embargo, Castro would have been ousted by the Cubans themselves decades ago because it would have been so obvious his socialist policies do not work!
And he would not have had any influence on current socialist dictators who are following in his footsteps, consider him their best friend, like Hugo Chavez and Evo Morales, who are trying to emulate Castro to the point of driving their countries' economies into the ground.
The US made Castro the powerful emblem of anti-americanism and socialist "success" that he is today."
And that's what Cuban Cubans have to say about that.
Well said!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Merida, Mexico Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
motorcycle rental (Dec '10) May '15 kearbear314 3
News Two Cuban migrants dead, eight missing at sea, ... (Sep '14) Sep '14 WE JUST DONT CARE 3
News Mexico initiates major high-speed rail project (Aug '14) Aug '14 Maverick 1
News Man injured in East Oakland shooting (Jun '14) Jun '14 OMF 9
News Mexico sets $100 billion rail, ports, roads plan (Jul '13) Jul '13 Carol 1
News The Cost of Living in Merida Yucatan (Apr '13) Apr '13 Barry 1
News Yucatan News: Virtual Library & Migrant Money (Apr '13) Apr '13 Barry 1
More from around the web