Catalina benefits from cruise ship sw...

Catalina benefits from cruise ship swine flu fears

There are 12 comments on the Daily Breeze story from May 1, 2009, titled Catalina benefits from cruise ship swine flu fears. In it, Daily Breeze reports that:

Two cruise ships diverted from Mexico to Catalina Island because of swine flu fears have given the island an influx of visitors and an "economic shot in the arm," officials said Friday.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Daily Breeze.

Dave The Sailor

Las Vegas, NV

#1 May 1, 2009
Great news for the economy of Avalon. We enjoy the town when there are good crowds there. It makes for fun people watching. We look forward to picking up a mooring in the next couple of weeks.
Chun Hoj

Redondo Beach, CA

#2 May 2, 2009
I'm stunned people still go to that tourist trap called Catalina.

I've never understood the allure...small dirty beaches, deep fried only restaurants, cut throat prices on everything and hordes of overweight tourists wandering around.

William Wrigley never wanted this!
Sparkie

Olympia, WA

#3 May 2, 2009
Chun Hoj wrote:
I've never understood the allure...small dirty beaches, deep fried only restaurants, cut throat prices on everything and hordes of overweight tourists wandering around.
Chun Hoj, You sound like an idiot! To put it nicely!!
Illegals are ILLEGAL

Glendora, CA

#4 May 2, 2009
Chun, are you sure you have been to Catalina Island? The place you are describing is nothing like I remember. Total opposite.
Duke

San Marino, CA

#5 May 2, 2009
Spread the swine flu all over the island and get rid of the gangs.
No on Catalina

Los Angeles, CA

#6 May 2, 2009
Sparkie wrote:
<quoted text>Chun Hoj, You sound like an idiot! To put it nicely!!
What an incredibly childish way to express your feelings. Just because someone has a different view than you do, this is how you react? Wow. Nice manners.
Catalina is not a nice as it used to be. Unfortunately the prices are set for tourists and some (not all) of the island inhabitants believe the laws don't apply to them. Despite living just across the ocean from the island, I have no desire to go there again. Just not like it used to be!
Taxpayer

Los Angeles, CA

#8 May 2, 2009
Its great that we can boost our own economy as opposed to Mexico's. Catalina is a great alternative.
King BOBby

Torrance, CA

#9 May 3, 2009
Chun Hoj wrote:
When going to Catalina, go see other parts of the island. Most people don't even visit Wrigley Memorial and Botanical Gardens. Wrigley wanted you to visit this, but you were too busy sitting on your bar stool in the resaurant. Where else can you see buffalo running around in Los Angeles besides Catalina. You can go golfing on the island as well.

Catalina Island is more than just one city and you shouldn't be afraid to leave Avalon.

Where do you go for your vacations?
J-Roni

El Segundo, CA

#10 May 4, 2009
I was on the island this weekend. What an incredible place! There were a lot of people, but still WAY less crowded than anywhere in L.A. on ANY day. The beach was infinitely cleaner than Redondo. And OMG how clear the water was! Try that on the mainland! Only saw 20 or so overweight tourists too. ;-) I think Mr Chun is just a little bit lost.
Rup

El Segundo, CA

#11 May 4, 2009
King BOBby wrote:
<quoted text>.
Catalina Island is more than just one city and you shouldn't be afraid to leave Avalon.
Don't forget about Two Harbors at the "Isthmus". Now that is a cool getaway! The Catalina Express runs boats there every day in the summer. The snorkeling & diving kicks some serious butt, there is a great restaurant & bar, and the porch at the Banning House Lodge has the MOST incredible view. The ultimate relaxing vacation!
King BOBby

Torrance, CA

#12 May 4, 2009
Rup wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't forget about Two Harbors at the "Isthmus".
I didn't forget, but I didn't want people like Chung Ho ruining it there. The buffalo don't mind people like him, but I do.
Tito

El Segundo, CA

#14 May 5, 2009
Yah, but have you seen how much the cruises in that area are going for now? You can get a 4 day cruise for under a hundred bucks! And the TV news said that people who had already booked are getting refunds down to the new prices as well. Sounds like a perfect time to take a "Mexican Riviera" cruise to Catalina Island!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ensenada, Mexico Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Redemption needed for orphans of Miracle Ranch ... (Oct '07) Jul 28 Mary 10
News Gurzi Pleads Guilty, Sentenced to 12 Years in P... (Dec '07) Jul 14 nofool 10
Roadblock Mar '15 Brian 1
News New fusion cuisine flourishes in Baja California (Nov '12) Oct '14 Mike Fields 2
News Grand jury indictment reveals nearly 9-year CCS... (Sep '14) Sep '14 Mike Fields 1
News The Wall Street Journal: Baja California, in Me... (Sep '14) Sep '14 Mike Fields 1
News World of Wines: Make a road trip into Mexico's ... (Sep '14) Sep '14 Mike Fields 1
More from around the web