Great white shark released from Monte...

Great white shark released from Monterey aquarium dies in fishing n...

There are 27 comments on the Santa Cruz Sentinel story from May 11, 2010, titled Great white shark released from Monterey aquarium dies in fishing n.... In it, Santa Cruz Sentinel reports that:

The young great white shark released by the Monterey Bay Aquarium in November has been found dead in a fishing net off Baja California.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Santa Cruz Sentinel.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
WTF

Seattle, WA

#2 May 11, 2010
This sucks... Commercial fishing should be limited to a set amount of hooks, NOT NETS. Nets kill everything and the commercial fisherman just pick and chose throwing back all the rest which is dead from the nets.
VERY SAD.
WTF

Seattle, WA

#3 May 11, 2010
I can't believe the sentinal commented out the word s*u*c*k*s

No FREE SPEECH!!!
mad men

Santa Cruz, CA

#4 May 11, 2010
:(
Just me -

Los Angeles, CA

#6 May 11, 2010
I second that. In Mexico, for every one pound of shrimp brought up to the surface, 100 lbs of other sea life is caught and usually dead by the time they throw it back.
WTF wrote:
This sucks... Commercial fishing should be limited to a set amount of hooks, NOT NETS. Nets kill everything and the commercial fisherman just pick and chose throwing back all the rest which is dead from the nets.
VERY SAD.
BenB

Ashburn, VA

#7 May 11, 2010
WTF wrote:
VERY SAD.
And, YOU'LL be the first one to b*tch when you have to dish out $40 for fish 'n chips!
BenB

Ashburn, VA

#8 May 11, 2010
Just me - wrote:
I second that. In Mexico, for every one pound of shrimp brought up to the surface, 100 lbs of other sea life is caught and usually dead by the time they throw it back.
<quoted text>
YOU LIE!
Show us a reference...LMAO
Duh

United States

#9 May 11, 2010
Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha! Stop, your killing me! My stomach is starting to hurt and I can't stop laughing! Libs and animal lovers unite and let's ban fishing in Mehiko! Are you with me?
Shark Lover

Union City, CA

#10 May 11, 2010
Duh wrote:
Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha! Stop, your killing me! My stomach is starting to hurt and I can't stop laughing! Libs and animal lovers unite and let's ban fishing in Mehiko! Are you with me?
Save the Great White Sharks. We won't quit until the Monterey Bay is teeming with them.
dON

San Francisco, CA

#11 May 11, 2010
WTF wrote:
I can't believe the sentinal commented out the word s*u*c*k*s
No FREE SPEECH!!!
Topix does the censoring, not the Sentinel...

Monterey Bay deep water reefs still are damaged from DECADES of trawling with bottom nets. I think it is no longer allowed in Monterey Bay...but the damage has been done.

http://members.tripod.com/becker_danson/ocean...
Trawling of ocean floor takes heavy toll on marine habitats Relevancy: 100; ( USA Today ) Tim Friend; 12-15-1998 Size: 8K

Picture a large blimp dragging a heavy net over the ground, knocking down all of the trees in a forest to catch birds for people to eat.

This is a strange scenario, and it likely would never be allowed. But scientists say it is similar to what occurs when commercial fishing vessels engaged in the widespread practice of bottom trawling drag their nets across the ocean floor.

Bottom trawling is done by thousands of fishing vessels worldwide to catch marine animals that live near, on or under the sea floor, such as cod, flounder, grouper, shrimp, scallops and mussels. Nets are dragged at all depths, from 10 feet to 6,000, near coastlines, in bays and along continental shelves and their slopes. More than 80% of fish are caught along the continental shelves, and a little more than half of the catch is bottom species.

Bottom trawling has been done for more than 100 years and has increased greatly since the 1970s.

BUT THEN I GUESS WE WANT CHEAP SEAFOOD AT THE GROCERY...
Mr Fiz

Santa Cruz, CA

#13 May 11, 2010
DAS IS SAD.... very sad
Stop Eating Fish

Alviso, CA

#14 May 11, 2010
The only way to be sure you are contributing to the health of the GWS population, and that of all sea creatures, is to stop eating fish.

Every vegetarian helps...
Scuba Steve

Mountain View, CA

#15 May 11, 2010
There's more where that one came from.
oh really

Santa Cruz, CA

#16 May 11, 2010
Scuba Steve wrote:
There's more where that one came from.
Not that many more, numbnuts.
Beenherelongtime

Santa Cruz, CA

#17 May 11, 2010
How many are not that many more? Do you have a number?
Lucas

Lafayette, CA

#18 May 11, 2010
I bet if the Mexicans killed a brown shark it never would have made the news.

Since: Dec 08

Oakland, CA

#19 May 11, 2010
Was it White ?
Devi

Walnut, CA

#20 May 11, 2010
How sad! I wanted to see this shark when she was still at the aquarium, but never made it.*sniff sniff*
Beenherelongtime

Santa Cruz, CA

#21 May 11, 2010
If the Monterey Bay Aquarium didnt catch and release it
it never would have made the news. It would have been just another dead fish caught in Mexico.
Beenherelongtime

Santa Cruz, CA

#22 May 11, 2010
Don, post #11

This was in Mexico with gill nets not
in Monterey with drag nets.

Its a different type of fishery than the one you posted about.
Also, your post failed to say anything about the strict laws and regulations of the US drag fisheries.
Scuba Steve

United States

#23 May 11, 2010
Mmm... Fish and chips...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ensenada, Mexico Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Electricity Sep '16 Tetess 1
hoteles Jul '16 ed s 1
Looking 4 birth brother/Busco hermano (Sep '15) Sep '15 Mamaria 1
Redemption needed for orphans of Miracle Ranch ... (Oct '07) Jul '15 Mary 10
News Gurzi Pleads Guilty, Sentenced to 12 Years in P... (Dec '07) Jul '15 nofool 10
Roadblock (Mar '15) Mar '15 Brian 1
News New fusion cuisine flourishes in Baja California (Nov '12) Oct '14 Mike Fields 2
More from around the web