Activists seek to slow the flow of mo...

Activists seek to slow the flow of money to Mexico

There are 11 comments on the DL Online story from Nov 21, 2006, titled Activists seek to slow the flow of money to Mexico. In it, DL Online reports that:

"Our voice is our money! Stop the repression!" Written on Spanish-language fliers distributed in downtown Los Angeles, the slogans urged Mexicans working in the United States to stop sending money home for ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at DL Online.

Hombre

United States

#1 Nov 21, 2006
Oh yes...that is quite logical....stop sending money to the poor families of those who need it. Starve the working class families of those who fill wealthy yet cheapskate employers pockets with cash by their cheap labor. That's just such a good idea. Has anyone checked to see if the water from Mexico that immigrants have ingested prior to coming here, is not only unhealthy in a microbial sense, but also perhaps has high concentrations of heavy metals too, causing this loss of cogitive thinking skills?
alex mendivil

United States

#2 Nov 21, 2006
this action will help speed along the civil war that must come to mexico if it is ever to change from a 3rd world nation to a free socially acceptable country of ideas from all mexican /nationals .rich or poor .
live legally n Mexico 2

Monterrey, Mexico

#3 Nov 21, 2006
itll never fly...family is much too important to withhold money from, esp. for some "abstract" political concept.

Mexico doesnt need civil war.. that only hurts the poorest... what it needs is "estado de derecho" and that doesnt come from thugs in the streets of Oaxaco nor from governers that think that only God can take them out of office.
Patrick

San Andrés Cholula, Mexico

#4 Nov 21, 2006
I'd be happy if the money from the U.S. to the protestors in Oaxaca stopped. The problems won't stop as long as some are making big bucks from the donations.

And those who are eager for a civil war remind of the children in the 6th grade who were always eager to arrange a fight...for someone else.

“trained = controlled”

Since: Dec 06

where my hat is

#5 Dec 20, 2006
stop the flow of money into mexico? mexico is one of the richest countries on the face of the earth.

a senator there makes sometimes 3 times the salary of a us senator,,,

the problem in mexico is the money distribution,,,and thus the cause of the problems with the drug cartels. an average person can,,, and does make a living wage by participating.

there will be another revolution in mexico,,, nothing can stop it,,, people arent going to live like this forever without at least attempting to do something about it.

"Has anyone checked to see if the water from Mexico" i was in nuevo laredo 8 yrs,,, no problem with the water,,, hard to readjust back in the us,,, its been giving me fits.
Patrick

Orizaba, Mexico

#6 Dec 20, 2006
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countrie... (PPP)_per_capita

This has a list of countries in order of GDP.
Hombre

United States

#7 Dec 20, 2006
Fascinating list. I see that the Europeans as singular countries are roughly about 1/6 the size of the US GDP, however as a union, they are slightly bigger. Why would that figure? I'll answer my own question: Because they need to support their egos. Suppose we submit a new GDP based upon the NAFTA union. HOORAY!..we're over their heads once again. Ha-ha. The most fascinating comparison, however, has to be that between Mexico and Russia. Whoduhthunk?...and China not putting out any more than Britain?...must be because Rolls Royces are more $$$$ than Black Cat Firecrackers. I can't wait to hear the criticism about my 'racism' on that statement....but I did buy an 'AIWA' stereo from China a couple years ago. The cd player quit working after about 6 months. Dittos for a friend of mine whose unit did the same. We can only pray that the technology Clinton sold them for rocket guidance systems, is in the same manufacturers' hands.

“desde mexico ocupado”

My home is where my hat is

#8 Dec 20, 2006
LOL,especially that last remark.
I wonder how the money distribution compares with US. I think teachers as well as legislators are relatively better off than their american counterparts.
Hombre

United States

#9 Dec 21, 2006
localokie wrote:
LOL,especially that last remark.
I wonder how the money distribution compares with US. I think teachers as well as legislators are relatively better off than their american counterparts.
...I wonder if the teachers who have now learned APPO's shakedown methods, are applying it the kids lunch money...or are offering playground protection to those who can pay.......food for thought....er.... something like that....

“trained = controlled”

where my hat is

#10 Feb 5, 2007
teachers? teachers dont make any money,,, the kids they teach probably make more selling chickle in el centro before and after school,,, when they go. school is not manditory or even really encouraged anywhere ive been in mexico.

which is the main reason i relocated back to the us,,, wasnt happy with the school system for my youngest son who is currently in jr high.

i never found the teachers to be bad people tho,,, just a bad management system,,, school is just not required.
Juana Gonzales de EU

Albuquerque, NM

#11 Oct 19, 2007
Typical America.

Now we can even tell someone where how to invest their hard earned cash.

Please lets not let our ignorance get in the way of our smarts.

My opinion is if they earned it let them send it, it only will help future tasks that America will inherit.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Cuauhtemoc, Mexico Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News International alert: truck stolen with highly r... (Dec '13) Dec '13 Concerned 5
News Fight begins over opening up Mexico's oil monopoly (Nov '13) Nov '13 HRH 1
News Bloomberg gets caught up in Mexico soda tax fight (Oct '13) Oct '13 Ol No Name 1
News Mexican lawmaker asks to ban gay unions in public (Sep '13) Sep '13 Frankie Rizzo 369
News Dramatic video shows mass brawl between Polish ... (Aug '13) Aug '13 The Iron Francisk... 13
News Fight over revered ex-president's image dominat... (Aug '13) Aug '13 Dear Governor Cuomo 1
News Proper disposal of used tires: Juarez may help ... (Dec '10) Aug '11 Mr-D-ElPaso 12
More from around the web