The model behind the Oscar statue is ...

The model behind the Oscar statue is Mexican actor Emilio Fern ndez

There are 2 comments on the El Paso Times story from Feb 24, 2013, titled The model behind the Oscar statue is Mexican actor Emilio Fern ndez. In it, El Paso Times reports that:

Actor Emilio Fernandez, left, who was born in Coahuila, Mexico in 1904, is the face behind the Oscar statue.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at El Paso Times.

Lester

Los Angeles, CA

#1 Feb 25, 2013
You did not know that The Oscar Is Mexican?
No joke.
People cannot fathom that the coveted Oscar is Mexican. The statue was modeled after Emilio “El Indio” Fernandez who was a very important actor, director, revolutionary and the inspiration for the most iconic American film industry award...”The Oscar”.
It was in 1928 that MGM's art director Cedric Gibbons, one of the original Academy members, supervised the design. In need of a model for his statuette, Gibbons was introduced by his future wife Mexican actress Dolores Del Río (who was Orson Wells muse while shooting Citizen Kane) to Mexican film director and actor Emilio "El Indio" Fernández. Reluctant at first, Fernández was finally convinced to pose nude to create what today is known as the "Oscar".
In Mexico, Emilio Fernández was nicknamed “El Indio,” Spanish for “The Indian,” a tribute to his Indigenous heritage and subject matter of many of his films.
His place in Mexican cinema is well known and highly regarded. However, his place in American cinema history as both an actor and muse for the ultimate Hollywood award should also be as recognized and told to everyone in the industry.
Next time you watch the Academy Awards; remember the story of how a young man in Mexico went from fighting in a revolution to becoming an acclaimed star, director and the model and symbol for the “Oscar,” the ultimate recognition in film!
Odd enough, this piece of history was missing from Wikipedia’s Oscar article a several years ago. I took it upon myself to include this information on Wikipedia. It was deleted several times until finally gaining acceptance.
Spread the word!
Viva Emilio “El Indio” Fernández!
Sirius

Querétaro, Mexico

#2 Feb 26, 2013
Well, the information is still there...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Academy_Award

Thanks, Lester. It is good to rescue those pieces of History that few people know.

----------

One Mexican-American actor that won the Oscar was Anthony Quinn.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthony_Quinn

I remember reading his autobiography very many years ago, in home of my granma, and I was fascinated by his approach of combining there actual facts with fictions about his internal world about comming to terms with his Mexican/Irish and heritage, and being a Chicano in the 40s, 50s.

Sadly, I never seen again reprinted this book.

Regards.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Coahuila, Mexico Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News With illegal immigration arrests down, does Tex... (Oct '08) May '16 truth 167
News Los Zetas Cartel Used Network of Ovens to Hide ... Feb '16 Hellisforever 3
News Shock Images**: Mexican Smugglers Dump Migrant'... (Nov '15) Nov '15 ronnie 2
Searching for Francisco Cazares in Saltillo (Nov '15) Nov '15 Lorena0529 1
News Inside the life of a drug-trafficking teen (Aug '15) Aug '15 EP, TX 11
News Mexicans Say Guard Won't Slow Migrants (May '06) Aug '15 Sandcastle 214
News Texas Cities Block Access to Border Land (Oct '07) Jul '15 Farts 12
More from around the web