Led Zeppelin vs AC/DC
AC-DC

Lowell, MA

#21 May 17, 2007
At this point i think the score is:
Zeppelin: 8 AC/DC: 10
Bjorn from sweden

Kiruna, Sweden

#22 May 17, 2007
AC/DC has sold over 150 millon albums world wide and Led Zeppelin has sold over 300 million worldwide,

in USA alone, Zeppeling has sold 109,5 million albums, AC/DC 68 million.

That Should tell you something my friend if we are talking about who sold the most.
Craft

Grand Rapids, MI

#23 May 18, 2007
Zeppelin is by far the best band. Take one of AC/DC's songs, then another and another, THEY'RE ALL THE SAME! They either talk about drinking, rock 'n roll or women in the order of verse, chorus, verse, chorus, solo, chorus. There is no originality. Zeppelin is much more mature, their songs actually have lyrics that are decent. Page KILLS Angus as far as talent, as does the late John Bonham over Phil Rudd and Chris Slade COMBINED! When zeppelin's drummer died, they new they were finished because no one could replace him. THREE MONTHES after Bon died, Angus and Malcolm picked up BJ. AC/DC wasn't a family like Led, they were a big band corporation. Angus and Malcolm also kicked out their very first bassist because he was UGLY! If Angus wasn't as childish as he is, then the band wouldn't be as big as it is today. But Zeppelin doesn't need a 5'3" man running around on stage to get attention and fans, because they play MUSIC! Piano, organ, acoustic, mandelin, tamborine, even a 12 string is used. Zeppelin's first album "I", realeased the 69 had the song "You Shook Me." The lyrics say, "Yeah, you shook me baby, you shook me all, night long..." If that isn't a rip off by AC/DC, who released "You Shook Me All Night Long" in 1980, then I don't know what is. Angus and Malcolm will go out there and play 3 power chords the entire song. Page's fingers are all over the neck of the guitar. Since AC/DC's songs are so similar, I guess you could say, if you've listened to one song, you've listened to all of them! Don't get me wrong, I like AC/DC, but not as much as I did when I was younger because I matured and learned the Zeppelin was playing MUSIC, while Angus is slappin' at some power chords. "Something Else", W"hat is and Should Never Be", "Ramble On" and even "Boogie with Stu" kill songs like "The Razor's Edge, "High Voltage," "Flick of the Switch" and "Big Balls" for Christsake.

“yo”

Since: Jan 07

Location hidden

#24 May 19, 2007
Craft wrote:
Zeppelin is by far the best band. Take one of AC/DC's songs, then another and another, THEY'RE ALL THE SAME! They either talk about drinking, rock 'n roll or women in the order of verse, chorus, verse, chorus, solo, chorus. There is no originality. Zeppelin is much more mature, their songs actually have lyrics that are decent. Page KILLS Angus as far as talent, as does the late John Bonham over Phil Rudd and Chris Slade COMBINED! When zeppelin's drummer died, they new they were finished because no one could replace him. THREE MONTHES after Bon died, Angus and Malcolm picked up BJ. AC/DC wasn't a family like Led, they were a big band corporation. Angus and Malcolm also kicked out their very first bassist because he was UGLY! If Angus wasn't as childish as he is, then the band wouldn't be as big as it is today. But Zeppelin doesn't need a 5'3" man running around on stage to get attention and fans, because they play MUSIC! Piano, organ, acoustic, mandelin, tamborine, even a 12 string is used. Zeppelin's first album "I", realeased the 69 had the song "You Shook Me." The lyrics say, "Yeah, you shook me baby, you shook me all, night long..." If that isn't a rip off by AC/DC, who released "You Shook Me All Night Long" in 1980, then I don't know what is. Angus and Malcolm will go out there and play 3 power chords the entire song. Page's fingers are all over the neck of the guitar. Since AC/DC's songs are so similar, I guess you could say, if you've listened to one song, you've listened to all of them! Don't get me wrong, I like AC/DC, but not as much as I did when I was younger because I matured and learned the Zeppelin was playing MUSIC, while Angus is slappin' at some power chords. "Something Else", W"hat is and Should Never Be", "Ramble On" and even "Boogie with Stu" kill songs like "The Razor's Edge, "High Voltage," "Flick of the Switch" and "Big Balls" for Christsake.
your dumb.ACDC rules!!!!
AC-DC

Lowell, MA

#25 May 19, 2007
Sure, Zeppelin could play great music, but AC/DC's style, not only the music, is what made me choose them. what other band's lead guitarist wears a schoolboy uniform? By the way, rock n' roll isn't about maturity, it's about rockin' hard and living life to it's fullest. Name one band that did that better than AC/DC/. Also, the songs may sound similar, but they sure sound damn good. Angus can pull off great solos that could match Page any day. When Bon died, he wouldn't have wanted that to be the end of AC/DC. He would have wanted them to move on and keep going. You can even make an argument that they were even better after he died. In my opinion, continuing to play was the best thing AC/DC could have done. Also, I doubt the reason why they kicked out that bassist was because he was too ugly. None of the guys in AC/DC are the best lookin' guys around, so it must have been another reason. Also, if you say it's because he was too nerdy, then I can understand that because AC/DC was too badass to have someone like that in the band. If you have listened to one AC/DC song, you most certainly have NOT listened to them all. Different beats, different solos, different lyrics. While most of their songs might have to do with the same things, not all of them do. Whenever AC/DC was confronted with a challenge, such as someone who was a distraction to the band, or someone who quit or died, they still came out fighting. They never gave up, no matter what life threw at them. Someone quit, they would go out and find someone else to do the job, and do it right, which made them able to surive longer than Zeppelin. Ever wonder why AC/DC has been popular for over 30 years now? It's because of their persistence. Mike, you're starting to forget the real reason why you liked them in the first place. You didn't mature, all you did was give up on your favorite band to side with the popular opinion.
AC-DC

Lowell, MA

#26 May 19, 2007
A few more things. You try to say that all AC/DC songs "sound the same." Well, yeah, it's called the sound of a band. If anyone has heard at least 2 songs of any band, if they hear another one from that band that they've never heard before, they'd be able to tell it was by them just by the sound, I know I have before. If all bands had the same sounds, then no one would want to listen to them. It's just the way it is. You could make the same argument for Zeppelin. If I heard a song on the radio by Zeppelin but I had never heard it before, I would be able to tell it was them just by the sound and style. This is just the style and sound of AC/DC, deal with it. Also, you guys are talkin' about how AC/DC is stealing rythm and lyrics from Zeppelin, while the same accusations have been made for Zeppelin! A writer for Rolling Stone Magazine wrote about the band for stealing music, notably "Black Mountain Side" from Bert Jansch's "Black Water Side" and the riff from "Your Time Is Gonna Come" from Traffic's "Dear Mr. Fantasy". The prelude to "Bring It on Home" is a cover of Sonny Boy Williamson's "Bring it on Home" In the 1970s, Arc Music, the publishing arm of Chess Records, brought a lawsuit against Led Zeppelin for copyright infringement over "Bring It on Home." Know your facts before you start talking. Another thing, you wanna talk about maturity and the "maturity" of Zeppelin? When they first came out, there were people who accused them of mimicking black artists and showing off. Led Zeppelin's album with the Hindenburg burning and crashing to the ground upset a lot of people and drew some legal action. Some maturity!
doyle

Chelmsford, MA

#27 May 19, 2007
craft i think you lost
AC-DC

Lowell, MA

#28 May 19, 2007
thank you, doyle
Sabbath Bloody Sabbath

Fredericksburg, VA

#29 May 20, 2007
Lokl i like um both but im going with AC/DC
AC-DC

Lowell, MA

#30 May 20, 2007
Also, you wanna say that Zeppelin was a family but AC/DC was a corporation, and that Zeppelin respected Bonham more than AC/DC respected Bon, which is why Zeppelin stopped and AC/DC kept going? Let me tell you something about AC/DC's respect for Bon. THEIR NEXT ALBUM WAS A COMPLETE TRIBUTE TO HIM. "Back In Black", the ultimate tribute, the biggest selling album of any band. If that's not a tribute with respect fit for a king of rock n' roll, then I don't know what is. AC/DC is a corporation? It isn't their fault if most of the people that joined weren't suitable for the job because they became distractions or decided to quit, that's just bad luck. In case you wanna say, "Oh, but Zeppelin has been more popular longer than AC/DC has." AC/DC started roughly in '73, and Zeppelin started in '68. That's 5 years before AC/DC started, so even though both are still popular today, Zeppelin will of course be popular longer because they started first. Also, I'm pretty sure Zeppelin was not always more popular then AC/DC. When AC/DC got on a roll in the 80's they were the cool thing, and Zeppelin wasn't around anymore. I'm pretty sure AC/DC was more popular than Zeppelin at the time. You wanna say AC/DC's not a family, but Zeppelin was? AC/DC still has the same lineup they had in 1980, so after almost 30 years now, they still have all the same members as they did in '80. That's a difficult thing to do. Zeppelin was only in existence from '68 to '80 (12 years!), so it was much harder for AC/DC to stick together. Don't even try to say that AC/DC was a bunch of alcoholics and that Bon's death was his own fault, because then you'd just be a bunch of hipocrites. I do recall that Bonham died from choking on his own vomit after an afternoon of heavy drinking. Malcolm made an effort to quit his alcoholism, and Angus abstained from alcohol. Anything else you wanna throw at me?
Angus young

Fredericksburg, VA

#31 May 21, 2007
AC-DC wrote:
Also, you wanna say that Zeppelin was a family but AC/DC was a corporation, and that Zeppelin respected Bonham more than AC/DC respected Bon, which is why Zeppelin stopped and AC/DC kept going? Let me tell you something about AC/DC's respect for Bon. THEIR NEXT ALBUM WAS A COMPLETE TRIBUTE TO HIM. "Back In Black", the ultimate tribute, the biggest selling album of any band. If that's not a tribute with respect fit for a king of rock n' roll, then I don't know what is. AC/DC is a corporation? It isn't their fault if most of the people that joined weren't suitable for the job because they became distractions or decided to quit, that's just bad luck. In case you wanna say, "Oh, but Zeppelin has been more popular longer than AC/DC has." AC/DC started roughly in '73, and Zeppelin started in '68. That's 5 years before AC/DC started, so even though both are still popular today, Zeppelin will of course be popular longer because they started first. Also, I'm pretty sure Zeppelin was not always more popular then AC/DC. When AC/DC got on a roll in the 80's they were the cool thing, and Zeppelin wasn't around anymore. I'm pretty sure AC/DC was more popular than Zeppelin at the time. You wanna say AC/DC's not a family, but Zeppelin was? AC/DC still has the same lineup they had in 1980, so after almost 30 years now, they still have all the same members as they did in '80. That's a difficult thing to do. Zeppelin was only in existence from '68 to '80 (12 years!), so it was much harder for AC/DC to stick together. Don't even try to say that AC/DC was a bunch of alcoholics and that Bon's death was his own fault, because then you'd just be a bunch of hipocrites. I do recall that Bonham died from choking on his own vomit after an afternoon of heavy drinking. Malcolm made an effort to quit his alcoholism, and Angus abstained from alcohol. Anything else you wanna throw at me?
Man dont let them mess with u you got the perfect discription of acdc and you sound like a true fan bon scott would have wanted it this way and now we are all still listen to acdc 27 years after bons death so All Hail AC/DC a true rock band (No dis respect to Bonham may him and bon rest in peace)!
Craft

Grand Rapids, MI

#32 May 21, 2007
biohazzard wrote:
<quoted text>your dumb.ACDC rules!!!!
YOU'RE DUMB, you probably don't even know any acdc OR zeppelin songs. or if you do its probably just like black dog, and back in black.
Craft

Grand Rapids, MI

#33 May 21, 2007
If more people like AC/DC than Zeppelin then how come the diffence of albums sold is 150 million albums in favor of Zeppelin? Also, Zeppelin was only playing from 68 to 80, while AC/DC played alot longer, 74 to about 96 and STILL sold less albums.

In addition, if you look at AC/DC's latest stuff it's the dumbest stuff ever! The Razor's Edge:
"Mistress for Christmas"
"Got You By the Balls".
On Ballbreaker (which is a dumb name anyways):
"Caught With Your Pants Down"
"Cover You In Oil".
The list just goes on and on.

And this is NO WAY that Angus is better than Page. On Rolling Stones 100 Greatest Guitarists of all time, Page is #9 while Angus is a staggering #96. Sure, you can say that those people are dumb and what not, but this is a FACT, an arguement that you CANNOT win. Page's whole knowledge of music is just mind blowing. I guess you could just compare Angus to Herman Lee, they both play fast, on high notes, and it sounds cool. Page is all over the place! He's truly a legend.

Angus's school boy out fit, it's what AC/DC is known for, and that was the idea Angus was going for when he thought it up. AC/DC just want to be known, that would dress up stupid so people could say "OH,that's that dumb band that dress up like its a circus." I saw a 74' clip of "Can I Sit Next to You Girl" with Dave Evans, it was hilarious. Angus is his school boy out fit, Malcom is a clown, Evans is some sort of gypsy, the bassist is a spaceman and the drummer is Tarzan! When Zeppelin released their fourth album "Zoso" or "IV", they put nothing on the sleeve. No title, artist or anything. Just a guy carring a pile of sticks. They did this to prove a point. That music, if is was truly good enough, without any flashy cover, could set itself. And it did, 23 million copies worth. They didn't need a child in a school boy uniform to sell great music.

Did AC/DC have a flaming gong?

Sure, Back in Black (The Album) was a tribute to Bon, and thats the least they could have done, but are there anysongs that actually talk about Bon and how great he was? NO! And thats what they should have done, instead, they wrote about drinking, woman, and rock. I know Bon liked all that stuff, but he needed a "Ride On" ish song, if you will, as tribute to remember him.

Also, Bon's death obviously was his own fault! I'm not saying he did it on purpose, but thats the price you pay if your getting drunk all the time. He knew it was bad and could get him in trouble, but he did it anyways.

Finaly I just want to know, if AC/DC is the better band, then WHY did Zeppelin sell 300 million records as apposed to 150 by AC/DC?
AC-DC

Lowell, MA

#34 May 21, 2007
Alright Craft, some good points, but once again let me have my say. I was talking to Leone and I brought up the fact that "Back In Black" is the #2 alltime selling album, and he said sales mean nothing, which means you have to completely ignore the fact that Zeppelin has sold more records. Leone was right, you can't go by sales, you have to go by music. The people that wrote that top 100 list obviously had biased opinions when they rated those guitarists. They had Angus behind guys like Derek Trucks, Cliff Gallup, and Link Wray...WHO??? Also, I agree that Bon's death was his own fault, I never said it wasn't. All I was saying was to NOT bring that up in your argument because then you'd be forgetting about Bonham, who died of the very same reason. I'm pretty sure the song "Back In Black" was a tribute to Bon, hence the name "Back In Black" as in Bon died, but now there back in black, the color you wear when your respecting someone who died. They didn't need another song dedicated to Bon to show their respect. That's all I have to say. Let me know if you have anything else to say.
Bjorn from sweden

Kiruna, Sweden

#35 May 21, 2007
I agree with craft on this one, Led Zeppelin are much bigger and more legendary as a band than AC/DC, and for the Angus - Jimmy question, that is even easier to answer, Jimmy Page is many times better than Angus, I don't even think that those two should be compared, don't get me wrong now, I like both bands and both guitarists but they are just not comparable.
AC-DC

Lowell, MA

#36 May 21, 2007
Bjorn from sweden wrote:
I agree with craft on this one, Led Zeppelin are much bigger and more legendary as a band than AC/DC, and for the Angus - Jimmy question, that is even easier to answer, Jimmy Page is many times better than Angus, I don't even think that those two should be compared, don't get me wrong now, I like both bands and both guitarists but they are just not comparable.
Well, just look at the two different styles. The way Page plays is kind of boring. It's easy to just stand there and play without moving much and look at the guitar. But just look at the way Angus plays. He could play just about anything Page could play except he's movin' all around the stage. He's thrashin' around and goin' psycho while doing the duck walk and jammin' out and still busting out awesome sounds on the guitar. He's just more exciting in my opinion.
Craft

Grand Rapids, MI

#37 May 21, 2007
AC-DC wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, just look at the two different styles. The way Page plays is kind of boring. It's easy to just stand there and play without moving much and look at the guitar. But just look at the way Angus plays. He could play just about anything Page could play except he's movin' all around the stage. He's thrashin' around and goin' psycho while doing the duck walk and jammin' out and still busting out awesome sounds on the guitar. He's just more exciting in my opinion.
A roller coaster is much more exciting than watching Angus play, does that mean that it's better at guitar?! And once again, its about the MUSIC, not visuals. When you listen to an album you're not going to see Angus running on stage, again this coincides with "Zoso" and the idea that music can sell itself, so if Page ran around like a child he'd just be 20 times better than Angus rather than just 10 times better. Plus how can you say Page is boring? "White Summer/Black Mountain Side" pumps just as enough adrenaline as when Angus rolls on the ground. And all of his solo's are similar to Angus' if not better! Take a very well known, simple song "Rock N Roll", Angus COULD NOT play that solo. If you watch video from Madison Square Garden July 1973, his fingers are everywhere, QUICKLY! "Since I've Been Loving You" also has a very hard solo. Angus might be a good entertainer, but remember, this is about the BETTER band and I truly believe that Zeppelin takes the cake Plus, I think that Back in Black (the song) wasn't about Bon, it was about AC/DC as a band and how that would rebound after his death. How they're coming back, they've "been too long". In Zeppelin's latter years of their career, Plant's son died thus he wrote the song "All of My Love" (slow, but good song by the way). That's what AC/DC should have done. I'm not saying get all mushy and write how much they loved Bon, but atleast ONE song. Though they did put out "Bonfire", I have some problems with it. Back in Black is in the box set. IT'S CALLED "BONFIRE" NOT "BJ PLUS BONFIRE". They should have instead, not put the singer they replaced when the guy they're rembering DIED, but put alot of the stuff that Bon never put on albums, like: "Rockin' in the Palour" and "Carry Me Home". I think the only reason why "BONFIRE" was put out was probably these guys (AC/DC) sobered up and realized what a horrible thing they did replacing Bon and all.

IN ADDITION TO THIS MADNESS

Notice a pattern:

In favor of Zeppelin:
Craft (Sophomore)
Leone (Sophomore)
Gauger (Sophomore)

" " " AC/DC:
Doyle (Freshman)
Tyler (Freshman)
Pomponi (Sophomore)

Younger people like chilish, drunkin' Scots
Maturer people like MUSIC!
Craft

Grand Rapids, MI

#38 May 21, 2007
Sorry it sounds a little harsh, don't get me wrong I like AC/DC, Zeppelin's better, it's just fun playing the Devil's Advocate.
AC-DC

Belchertown, MA

#39 May 22, 2007
Like I said before, rock and roll isn't about maturity. It's about rockin' loud, rockin' good, and havin' a good time. Which is why Tyler, Doyle, and I like AC/DC more and we're more awesome. What does Gauger know??? I bet he just felt like siding with the popular opinion. You may have matured, but it doesn't mean you're cool. And AC/DC has almost defined cool.
AC-DC

Belchertown, MA

#40 May 22, 2007
All in all, this is the last thing I have to say. Truly this is a debate of opinion, and I feel that all of us should be entitled to them. But arguing like this will get us nowhere. We can argue, fight, and yell about this all we want, but in the end, we'll believe what we want to believe. You'll never stop thinking Zeppelin is better, and I'll never stop thinking that AC/DC is better. We've said all that we can in my opinion, and neither of us has budged, so let's leave it at that. It was a good battle, but a battle of opinion, so I believe there can be no winner.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Rock-N-Roll Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
New band to like Jul 2 Korovo 1
Introduction and spreadin' the message of Rock ... Jul 1 pep_moo 1
Top 10 best rock n roll bands of all time (Dec '06) Jun 26 Hygiene Gentleman 1,542
News Elvis Presley Eclipses Michael Jackson (Jul '09) Jun '16 love 53,065
Listening Test For Guitarists Jun '16 Matheus95 1
News Bruce Springsteen cancels North Carolina concer... May '16 Amess 4
News 2 - Mudcrutch May '16 Lisa Ann 1
More from around the web