50 Cent Sues Taco Bell Over '99 Cent' Ad

A lot of people thought it was cute when Taco Bell came up with an ad that asks the rapper to change his name to 99 Cent -- but 50 Cent isn't laughing, he's suing. Read more
First Prev
of 5
Next Last
interesting information

Dallas, TX

#84 Jul 25, 2008
NEW YORK MIAMI - Rapper 50 Cent stole some of the lyrics for his 2003 hit "In Da Club" from a song by former 2 Live Crew frontman Luther Campbell, an attorney claims in a lawsuit.

Richard C. Wolfe filed the copyright infringement lawsuit against Curtis Jackson, aka 50 Cent, in Miami federal court last week on behalf of Lil' Joe Wein Music.

Parts of "In Da Club," from the album "Get Rich or Die Tryin'", copy "It's Your Birthday," released in 1994 on Campbell's solo album "Still a Freak for Life," the lawsuit alleged.

A message left Friday for Wolfe was not immediately returned.

Lil' Joe Wein Music holds the copyright to "It's Your Birthday" and other songs Campbell produced with his rap group 2 Live Crew and as a solo artist. Lil' Joe Wein Music is owned by Joseph Weinberger, an attorney who formerly represented Campbell.

Campbell's song "I Like It, I love It" can also be heard on the 2003 DVD "50 Cent The New Breed," the lawsuit claims.
WWHD

Dallas, TX

#86 Jul 25, 2008
David wrote:
<quoted text>
Probably standing in the Welfare line.
BlackPower is/was EricDallas, silly...
Karen

Andreas, PA

#87 Jul 25, 2008
Guess all those lil kids that had the lemonaide stands this summer with the big "50 CENTS" sign best watch out they could be the next on the to be sued list!!!
David

United States

#88 Jul 25, 2008
WWHD wrote:
<quoted text>
BlackPower is/was EricDallas, silly...
Eric Dallas?
Soldat

Selm, Germany

#89 Jul 25, 2008
Chrissy06 wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh you hit that one on the nail...I do not like 50 *F**U**C**K**I**N* CENT because he acts ignorant. Moreover, the BS you stated about the legal actions is true for some. Do you honestly think an average person could get 4 million dollars out of that? Hell, no they would never even consider it. Seriously get off your high horse or whatever you are on and think about the public seeing this. A young child could very well get the wrong idea. People suing for millions when it is not necessary is one of the many problems we have come into in the past decades. It seems like the proper path to take would be to have a restraining order for the company to remove all things pertaining to him and his name.
To tell you the truth I do not believe the thing about the media getting the information about the 10,000-dollar donation before he did. He obviously has people working around the clock looking for something to complain about. Even if he did hear about it, that would have been good publicity for the $10,000 going to a charity. It would make him look like a nice person.
Which he is not...
As far as the 4 million dollar amount...no I don't see an average person getting that much out of that...then again how many "average people would be in the same predicament?

& BTW you asked "Do I honestly think..." as if I somehow implied the avaerage person could get that amount which I did not.

Also why are you referring to me being on a high horse I need to get off of?

& as far as $10,000 going to charity being good for publicity or making him look good as a person...

How about donating over $200,000 in grants & scholarships in 2007 alone through his G-Unit (His Rap Collective)Foundation?

Does that make him seem any nicer to you?

Lastly...

Just because a corporation offers to donate money to charity on your behalf in exchange for product endorsement doesn't obligate you to accept.
Soldat

Selm, Germany

#90 Jul 25, 2008
interesting information wrote:
NEW YORK MIAMI - Rapper 50 Cent stole some of the lyrics for his 2003 hit "In Da Club" from a song by former 2 Live Crew frontman Luther Campbell, an attorney claims in a lawsuit.
Richard C. Wolfe filed the copyright infringement lawsuit against Curtis Jackson, aka 50 Cent, in Miami federal court last week on behalf of Lil' Joe Wein Music.
Parts of "In Da Club," from the album "Get Rich or Die Tryin'", copy "It's Your Birthday," released in 1994 on Campbell's solo album "Still a Freak for Life," the lawsuit alleged.
A message left Friday for Wolfe was not immediately returned.
Lil' Joe Wein Music holds the copyright to "It's Your Birthday" and other songs Campbell produced with his rap group 2 Live Crew and as a solo artist. Lil' Joe Wein Music is owned by Joseph Weinberger, an attorney who formerly represented Campbell.
Campbell's song "I Like It, I love It" can also be heard on the 2003 DVD "50 Cent The New Breed," the lawsuit claims.
50 Cent won that lawsuit & rightfully so IMO

U
NEW YORK A judge has dismissed a copyright infringement lawsuit accusing rapper 50 Cent of stealing the opening line for his 2003 hit "In Da Club" from a song by former 2 Live Crew frontman Luther Campbell.

U.S. District Judge Paul C. Huck found Friday that the disputed phrase was a "common, unoriginal, and noncopyrightable element of the song" and was not entitled to copyright protection.Moreover, outside of the opening phrase, there are almost no similarities between the works, and the phrase in question represents only eleven seconds of a more than three-minute song, the judge wrote. No reasonable jury would conclude that the compositions have substantial similarities and the average person would not confuse the two songs, the judge wrote.

The original lawsuit was filed in Miami federal court in January on behalf of Lil' Joe Wein Music against Curtis James Jackson, aka 50 Cent.

The lawsuit, filed by attorney Richard C. Wolfe, said 50 Cent only changed one word from the opening line of Campbell's song from "It's Your Birthday." After repeating the word "go" several times, "Sheila" becomes "shorty" in the line, "Go shorty, it's your birthday."
Soldat

Selm, Germany

#91 Jul 25, 2008
Karen wrote:
Guess all those lil kids that had the lemonaide stands this summer with the big "50 CENTS" sign best watch out they could be the next on the to be sued list!!!
You do realize that this lawsuit is not over the use of the term "50 CENTS" right?

I hope so...if not I'd suggest reading &/or re-reading the article.
Some posters actually have miscomprehended what exactly is the basis this lawsuit.
Soldat

Selm, Germany

#92 Jul 25, 2008
Chrissy06 wrote:
<quoted text>
So why bother worrying about what I think? I do not care for a man that degrades women everyday and tries to sound like a "THUG" or whatever they call themselves. My worry is that this is a bad example for the youth that will see this as the right thing to do in any case. I do agree he can be upset, but my point is that 4 million is steep.
He may have made decent money off it, but why should someone make millions upon millions for a name. Think about it. If I named my child 50 cent...I then have a right to sue taco bell? No!
It is just a publicity stunt that made him look bad not smart. In addition, you said it right with he would be all right. That is why I wonder even more about the point between suing for 4 million?
WOW...I just read this post for the first time & realized you are among the people who wrongly believe he is suing for the use of the phrase "50 Cent" I'm afraid you are sadly mistaken.

I agree that would be ridiculous but that is not why he's suing...WOW.
Pat

Downers Grove, IL

#93 Jul 28, 2008
The whole thing is "Stupid", and doesn't make a bit of sense. He is already a Multi millionaire with a Gigantic Ego problem.
Besides, he usues the in-correct gramatical error of 50 Cent, instead of the correct wording....50 CENTS. Why do some people always leave the s off where it SHOULD be and ADD one where it shouldn't be?? IE: This is "Mines"???, instead of Mine? I never could understand this. So, actually, Taco Bell said 50 cents, NOT 50 Cent from what everyone is saying. Am I right?
Moe from Orange NJ

Delray Beach, FL

#94 Jul 30, 2008
50 do what u gotta do aint mad at u
Mystaman

Miami, FL

#95 Sep 1, 2008
People just hate a self-made BLACK millionaire... go suck a stiff one, dumb a$$es

“Never go to my youtube channel”

Since: Sep 13

United Kingdom

#96 Dec 7, 2013
Poor Mexicans had to put up with a low life hyper active studio thug like Filthy Scent, who can't even get a taco for his life dumb n****r love playing race card, idiot monkey.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Rap Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News The Arrest of Vanilla Ice and How Honest People... 9 hr flippersDontGiveA... 1
News the Best Rapper Ever: Eminem vs. 2Pac (Aug '09) Mar 28 ianoc27 235
I'm number 1 on the ReverbNation Hip Hop Local ... Mar 28 PRESLEY aka KRONIK 1
I'm number 25 on the ReverbNation Hip Hop Natio... Mar 28 PRESLEY aka KRONIK 1
The ReverbNation Hip Hop Local charts (Top 10). Mar 28 PRESLEY aka KRONIK 1
News 50 Cent makes Paris Hilton cry (Feb '08) Mar 26 cumofsumyungguy 8
News How bad does sex hurt the first time? (Jul '08) Mar 26 Runswimrocknroll 6,051
More from around the web