Rap disrespect of black icons raises concerns

Mar 2, 2014 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: WTOP-FM Washington

Malcolm X and rap music have always fit together like a needle in the groove, connected by struggle, strength and defiance.

Comments
1 - 15 of 15 Comments Last updated Mar 4, 2014

Since: May 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 2, 2014

Judged:

They just want money and notoriety, that's all they care about.
Cyrus

Manassas, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 2, 2014

Young money artists must be on some kind of drug that makes them act like f00ls. They know their short reign is on life support and they would do anything to stay at the top.

Since: Feb 13

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 2, 2014

Judged:

This is what happens when we are guilted into not talking about our history, told to get over it, its the past, it becomes trivialized
Unique2

Macon, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 2, 2014

Judged:

The black conscious era of Rap in the late 80's and early 90's produced some of Hip-Hop's best music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch...

“Most black females R like this”

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 2, 2014

We may not like what these artists are doing, but which one of US are going to offer them an alternative that gives them the money and "stability" that their current "occupation" does?
Zombie Corpse Rental

San Jose, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 2, 2014

Judged:

Aziya Shines wrote:
This is what happens when we are guilted into not talking about our history, told to get over it, its the past, it becomes trivialized
I'm not sure why your parents did that to you but now's your chance to get a library card and continue your free public education.
Cyrus

Manassas, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 3, 2014

fair_guy wrote:
We may not like what these artists are doing, but which one of US are going to offer them an alternative that gives them the money and "stability" that their current "occupation" does?
The track is hot but that album cover was disrespectful and totally unnecessary. I don't know if it was humor she was going for, but she failed blatantly.
Sunshine

Freeport, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 3, 2014

Kanye said it best. I sold myself to the devil. hip hop is dead and so is R& B. Most people are listening to old school music anyway. Most rappers are really broke who do not pay taxes or child support.
I've heard rumors that they have to sleep with those young and old wrinkled faced, freaky business executives in order to keep what they got. Either way they are getting raped. Turning into homo's & Being passed around like a two dollar hoe.
Niki Minaj career will not last forever. By 2016 Remy Ma will be out of jail.
Zombie Corpse Rental

San Jose, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 3, 2014

Judged:

Blacks Are Cretins wrote:
You gullible n!@@ers never cease to amaze me with your simpleminded stupidity & wholesale ignorance, when your crack addicted rap nogs were dissing the teenage single black mammies & weave wearing hood rats, it was all good, but now the old school broke n!@@ers are flipping their conks over being publicly dissed by the new sect, they see cash money in slander & libel lawsuits & you shiftless curbside welfare vermin are jumping on that 3 wheeled broke azz wagon of irrelevance, sorta like when that washed up, no talent blind has been Stevie Wonder decreed that all black entertainers should boycott appearing & performing in Florida over that Zimmerman ruling & not one week later, Jay Z & Beyonce were down in South Beach making them Benjamin's, you n!@@ers are truly a lost race.
Ok, kids, take note. This is how you rant on the internet.

You don't have to agree with it. But do step back and marvel at it.

APV

“You were saying about bp aging”

Since: Apr 08

still busy trolling??

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 3, 2014

Judged:

So sad...
KIP

San Francisco, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 3, 2014

Judged:

Can't say we didn't see it coming.

Look at this generation.
I mean just LOOK at them!!

Black icons are not the only things they show disrespect for. Many of them have an obvious disrespect for life -- their own and the lives of others. They are clueless and act without any thought of consequence.
It's as if the elders were absent from day one. Others have absolutely NO concept of anything in the natural world, because they've never been exposed to it long enough to grasp the actual meaning. Still others come without exposure to a full, honest, day of work. They expect to be given everything, but couldn't offer to serve a hungry dog a bowl of water
SadButTrue

Chantilly, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 3, 2014

KIP wrote:
Can't say we didn't see it coming.
Look at this generation.
I mean just LOOK at them!!
Black icons are not the only things they show disrespect for. Many of them have an obvious disrespect for life -- their own and the lives of others. They are clueless and act without any thought of consequence.
It's as if the elders were absent from day one. Others have absolutely NO concept of anything in the natural world, because they've never been exposed to it long enough to grasp the actual meaning. Still others come without exposure to a full, honest, day of work. They expect to be given everything, but couldn't offer to serve a hungry dog a bowl of water
Maceo

Sounds like you!

Everything you've done is similar to what they've done! You didn't respect your Whtte wife! Your Mother who died of cancer! Your Family, Black women or the Black community!

Now your 60 years old and you haven't done a damn thing, you look foolish!

Every Black women you talked about and called Sheboon,s bytches, sluts all excelled over you with White males! LMAO

While your white wife walked out of your life for good!

YOUR SAD AND SORRY NO GOOD BLACK MAN!

“Jesus loves you all!”

Since: Jul 13

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 4, 2014

Judged:

Perhaps assimilation into to the realm of mainstream music has left hip hop without a voice considering the money that is doled out to them.

The love of money is the root of all evil.

I presume it'll only get worse.

Now effeminate men and masculine women have permeated media images.

Since: Aug 09

Saint Louis, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 4, 2014

Judged:

Shalimarr wrote:
They just want money and notoriety, that's all they care about.
What do you mean "icons" anyhow? You mean you worship two-legged dogs? If the artists are criticizing Aunt Jemimas and Uncle Toms especially those like Pervert in Chief Obama, it is because they deserve criticism. Those so-called "icons" have not done dittily dot for this community since King died.

Since: Aug 09

Saint Louis, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 4, 2014

Judged:

fair_guy wrote:
Darn tooting. That is exactly what I am talking about. How many so-called icons have helped to create jobs in this community?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Rap Discussions

Search the Rap Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Show us your own Freestyle Rap song (Jun '08) 9 hr lil drizzy 355
Rappers Three 6 Mafia Make Oscar History (Mar '06) Mon xdd 3
In the spotlight: Mychal Wilkes (Dec '06) Jul 28 Anonymous 3
Ja Rule's 'Unruly' path from jail to Christianity Jul 25 UNchained 41
Top 10 Best Freestyle Rappers of All Time (Aug '09) Jul 20 keezie 205
Beyonce Leads MTV Vma Nominations Jul 17 Big mike 2
Fans or gang? Meet the Juggalos (Aug '08) Jul 14 MR SKIPPY LOC 910
•••
•••