Neon Desert lights El Paso: 10,000 ro...

Neon Desert lights El Paso: 10,000 rock to 29 bands at music fest

There are 75 comments on the El Paso Times story from Apr 30, 2011, titled Neon Desert lights El Paso: 10,000 rock to 29 bands at music fest. In it, El Paso Times reports that:

The Omar Rodriguez Lopez Group co-headlines the Neon Desert Music festival late Saturday night.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at El Paso Times.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last

“Tardy For The Party ”

Since: May 10

United States

#1 May 1, 2011
I had a great time.

CSS WAS AWESOME!
Ese

El Paso, TX

#2 May 1, 2011
Wow, maybe 10,000 for an all day event in a metroplex of almost 2 million. That is really a success!
ohmygosh

Scottsdale, AZ

#3 May 1, 2011
So maybe after this event they will go to a bar and get so wasted to come up with another event. Apparently they can't think when they're sober.
hugo stiglitz

Lenoir City, TN

#4 May 1, 2011
Ese wrote:
Wow, maybe 10,000 for an all day event in a metroplex of almost 2 million. That is really a success!
Waaah waaaah waaah, go to church pendejo.
BoKnows

Houston, TX

#5 May 1, 2011
Good effort. But attendance is probably lower than hoped and expected. The lack of big names and a true headliner probably attributed to this. For example, Buzz fest in Houston is a music festival that takes place twice a year at a single venue (an ampitheater) and sells out to crowds of 17,000 plus each time, with only two stages. The line up for today's festival is Main Stage: Jane's Addiction, Social Distortion, Seether, Puddle of Mudd, Flogging Molly, The Airborne Toxic Event, New Politics.
Side Stage: The Dirty Heads, Evans Blue, Red Jumpsuit Apparatus, Middle Class Rut, My Darkest Days, Young the Giant, Electric Touch.
So 14 bands, 17k people, two stages, one venue and tickets maxed out at $50.
NDMF will eventually become more organized, recoognized, and lucrative. SO once agin good effort and let's see what becomes of NDMF II.
Dorado

La Canada Flintridge, CA

#6 May 1, 2011
That Buzz fest sucks! First of all. An amphitheater? Why? F#ck that. Secondly, Social D, Puddle if Mud, Seether and most of those bands are douche magnets. Neon Desert has a whole different vide, the urban setting had to be amazing, similar to festivals like Lolapalloza and the music was more in tune to the Coachella experience, not th Buzz Fest. Great job, I'll be there next year. Also, don't be afraid to charge more if $50-75 dll tickets will bring more quality I would say go for it! Cheers.
RocketScientist

Chicago, IL

#7 May 1, 2011
Anyone who says El Paso shouldn't try and have more similar events is outta their mind! 10,000 for a first year show, not bad, and proves that there could be a future for this festival.
edubble

El Paso, TX

#8 May 1, 2011
Free tickets (SO Vanessa), free VIP wristbands (SO Ernie), free beer (SO vip bartenders), food trucks were too expensive but tasted good. Sound was garbage, it was windy and hot (no tents for shade even in VIP). People were still too conservative because too many cops and security to feel free. I didn't even see any tits. Lost my cell phone and thanks to the dude who answered and met me on westside circle k to return it.
Golfer 24

El Paso, TX

#9 May 1, 2011
I wonder if these good time seekers, pot smoking, beer drinking, and self-serving promoters will pay back the $25,000 dollars the taxpayers of the City of El Paso gave them to promote this pipe smoking deal.
The actual gross ticket sales will never see the El Paso sunshine.
rae

Seminole, FL

#10 May 1, 2011
Great now that's $350,000 plus food & beverage straight to Austin on the taxpayer time. El Paso got hoodwinked.
rae

Seminole, FL

#11 May 1, 2011
we want our $20,000 back now. Please return the $20,000 back to the taxpayer. ITs our money please return it.
yo waddup

El Paso, TX

#12 May 1, 2011
rae wrote:
we want our $20,000 back now. Please return the $20,000 back to the taxpayer. ITs our money please return it.
so if we do the math,$20,000 divided by say, 200,000 people that pay taxes,(one of those probably not you), you'd get what, about a dime back? you are a moron, and probably pissed cuz you didnt go.

STFU AND GTFO!
yo waddup

El Paso, TX

#13 May 1, 2011
Golfer 24 wrote:
I wonder if these good time seekers, pot smoking, beer drinking, and self-serving promoters will pay back the $25,000 dollars the taxpayers of the City of El Paso gave them to promote this pipe smoking deal.
yeah the pot smoking at the event sucked, but really you golf every weekend, or every day. i dont see how golfing and pot smoking contribute to anything. GIVE ME BACK ALL THAT WATER THAT'S SPENT on your golf course!

STFU AND GTFO!
yo waddup

El Paso, TX

#14 May 1, 2011
RocketScientist wrote:
Anyone who says El Paso shouldn't try and have more similar events is outta their mind! 10,000 for a first year show, not bad, and proves that there could be a future for this festival.
that's righT!
Rey

AOL

#15 May 1, 2011
It was a great event. My only issue is the comment that was made. The person stated, this is what cities are supposed to do. I hope he meant host and that's all. The private sector is the one that produces these events not city government.
Mr-D ElPaso

United States

#16 May 1, 2011
Gee thats great what a turn out. Thats almost 345 people per band. What I'am trying to say ElPaso is cheap they don't like to pay. Speaking Rock does better than that. Reason its free ElPaso likes everything for FREE OK.
Golfer 24

El Paso, TX

#17 May 1, 2011
yo waddup wrote:
<quoted text>
yeah the pot smoking at the event sucked, but really you golf every weekend, or every day. i dont see how golfing and pot smoking contribute to anything. GIVE ME BACK ALL THAT WATER THAT'S SPENT on your golf course!
STFU AND GTFO!
I pay for my own green fees which contribute to paying the golf course water bill.
You really need to stop smoking your home grown weed and go back to school.
The only thing that I will ever "give" you is free advice.
rae

Seminole, FL

#18 May 1, 2011
yo waddup wrote:
<quoted text>
so if we do the math,$20,000 divided by say, 200,000 people that pay taxes,(one of those probably not you), you'd get what, about a dime back? you are a moron, and probably **** cuz you didnt go.
STFU AND GTFO!
I got in for free. I point is $20,000 is $20,000. It should be returned to the taxpayers. The city should not take money risks for these guys. Anyways the profits will be going to Austin. And they used volunteers. Screw the workers. I pay sales taxers and a property tax too. I can guarantee that I pay WAY more taxes then you easily. So come see me. We can meet downtown where the concert took place and discuss this face to face.
computer virus

El Paso, TX

#19 May 1, 2011
BoKnows wrote:
Good effort. But attendance is probably lower than hoped and expected. The lack of big names and a true headliner probably attributed to this. For example, Buzz fest in Houston is a music festival that takes place twice a year at a single venue (an ampitheater) and sells out to crowds of 17,000 plus each time, with only two stages. The line up for today's festival is Main Stage: Jane's Addiction, Social Distortion, Seether, Puddle of Mudd, Flogging Molly, The Airborne Toxic Event, New Politics.
Side Stage: The Dirty Heads, Evans Blue, Red Jumpsuit Apparatus, Middle Class Rut, My Darkest Days, Young the Giant, Electric Touch.
So 14 bands, 17k people, two stages, one venue and tickets maxed out at $50.
NDMF will eventually become more organized, recoognized, and lucrative. SO once agin good effort and let's see what becomes of NDMF II.
NDMF wasn't that kind of festival. Buzz Fest is really just a bigger version of the KLAQ Balloon Fest......mainstream acts sell more tickets, obviously. NDMF was about exploring the rich and unique talent of our local music scene, and bolstering an often shadowed collective of genres, like electronic and indie. I see what you're saying, but NDMF wasn't trying to be one of the radio station street festivals. It's a different kind of show, and it was amazing.
computer virus

El Paso, TX

#20 May 1, 2011
Golfer 24 wrote:
GRANPA!!! Get off the computer!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Progressive-Rock Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Alabamaa s voters, divided over Trumpa s remark... Oct 30 Mullahing It Over 43
News Beto O'Rourke, Ted Cruz challenger, answers que... Aug '17 Fart Ted Fart 3
News Top StoryTupac Shakur, Pearl Jam, Yes to be ind... (Dec '16) Dec '16 Dr Wu 1
News Guitarist/singer Greg Lake of Emerson, Lake and... (Dec '16) Dec '16 Dr Wu 1
News How and why Jaguar designed an electric SUV (Nov '16) Nov '16 GGabrielK 1
News Three questions with Debbie Harry... (Jun '07) Oct '16 Shelly 2
News Daevid Allen Weird Quartet - Elevenses (Feb '16) Feb '16 Mitt s Dog Crate ... 1
More from around the web