11,000 attend Neon Desert Music Festi...

11,000 attend Neon Desert Music Festival, second fest a certainty

There are 56 comments on the El Paso Times story from May 2, 2011, titled 11,000 attend Neon Desert Music Festival, second fest a certainty. In it, El Paso Times reports that:

The glowsticks have barely faded from the first one, but a second Neon Desert Music Festival in 2012 appears to be a certainty.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at El Paso Times.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last

“Get over yourself...”

Since: Jan 08

You're not that important

#48 May 2, 2011
Yawn Fest wrote:
They just took all the local bands that preformed at last years Sunset Heights block party and then added a few lesser indie acts and then went to the bank.
Lesser Indie acts? Dirty Vegas is not 'lesser' or 'indie'.
Gabe

United States

#49 May 2, 2011
El Paso will always be "El Chuco" and with good reason. You know where the zoot suit came from? The Pachuco's made them famous. The what? The Pachuco. They originated here in El Paso and Juarez back in the day and the style went west all the way to L.A. where it blossomed. I lived in LA for 15 years and came back to EP about 4 yrs ago-- you know I used to run into people in LA quite often who ALWAYS (it seemed) had some relative in El Paso. It was pretty funny. But what struck me was that when I ran into an older person with EL Paso roots, as soon as I said "El Paso" they smiled and said, "El Chuco"--- there's no negative connotation there. It is what it is-- a piece of our history and it's one of the things that makes us unique.
callie

Deming, NM

#50 May 2, 2011
funny wrote:
11,000 people X $35 =$385,000, not including drink/food/merchandise sales, or sponsorship $$. I think we can say they made enough money.
This festival was clearly another scheme to "put money in their pockets." Lets get some organizers that are not only into money but truly want to see the city succeed. Each one of them is going to get at least $20,000 from this event. That could go to better acts.
You don't know how to do math very well. Since not everyone paid $35. Some people paid $18. Some paid $25. Some won free tickets. There are electricity fees as well as other things to account for. It isn't all about the money, so stfu.
callie

Deming, NM

#51 May 2, 2011
Reentry wrote:
If they had allowed reentry, they would have had more attendance
They still would have made less money though because idiots would have been going to their cars to get food, beer, water, or doing drugs. Then coming back intoxicated and causing trouble. No thanks.
callie

Deming, NM

#52 May 2, 2011
Gabe wrote:
El Paso will always be "El Chuco" and with good reason. You know where the zoot suit came from? The Pachuco's made them famous. The what? The Pachuco. They originated here in El Paso and Juarez back in the day and the style went west all the way to L.A. where it blossomed. I lived in LA for 15 years and came back to EP about 4 yrs ago-- you know I used to run into people in LA quite often who ALWAYS (it seemed) had some relative in El Paso. It was pretty funny. But what struck me was that when I ran into an older person with EL Paso roots, as soon as I said "El Paso" they smiled and said, "El Chuco"--- there's no negative connotation there. It is what it is-- a piece of our history and it's one of the things that makes us unique.
Thanks for sharing.^_^ I kept wondering what that meant because I'm not from the area. That's some pretty sweet stuff.
callie

Deming, NM

#53 May 2, 2011
1. Some people clearly failed economics.

2. Some people are full of too much hatred.

3. If you don't like the music, fine.

4. Whether or not the smaller artists were paid, I do not know. But what I do know is that they clearly went by CHOICE, they ENJOYED IT, they gained NEW FANS, and shared the love of MUSIC. It is not exploitation if it is done by choice and knowingly. None of those artists were idiots, they knew what they were doing. And they did it very well. I think that publicity is truly greater than any sum of money they could have been paid.

5. El Paso is a beautiful city with a lot of pride....and I felt that emanating from the hearts of all that were there enjoying themselves.
Ageism

El Paso, TX

#55 May 2, 2011
the monster wrote:
<quoted text>No they also suck and those has been crusty old idiots at that station need to retire.
People of all ages like music and deserve to have fun too. You just sound paranoid about your own age and getting older. That's life, there's nothing you can do about it accept it. But you can look and feel really young no matter what age you are.
mex CANTS

El Paso, TX

#56 May 2, 2011
Ageism wrote:
<quoted text>
People of all ages like music and deserve to have fun too. You just sound paranoid about your own age and getting older. That's life, there's nothing you can do about it accept it. But you can look and feel really young no matter what age you are.
Go to bed you j0tit0. You're brain is trying to work overtime.
Luis

El Paso, TX

#59 May 2, 2011
"They just took all the local bands that preformed at last years Sunset Heights block party and then added a few lesser indie acts and then went to the bank."
^^
Kudos Yawn Fest
Family

El Paso, TX

#60 May 2, 2011
I would like to see Omar Rodriguez's Dad El Doctor de Salsa get down with his Salsa band or join Omar and little brother who looks just like Omar.
El Paso, TX

#61 May 2, 2011
I love love the location of the festival. Right in front of City Hall. Keep it the same next year and we will know where all to go.
fking Hipster

El Paso, TX

#62 May 2, 2011
"A Southern California artist was arrested early today while allegedly filming himself spray-painting graffiti in Downtown El Paso."
At least Neon Desert Festival Attracted artist to downtown literally. Go back to Austin d****bags
el Q

Goliad, TX

#63 May 2, 2011
Ageism wrote:
<quoted text> People of all ages like music and deserve to have fun too. You just sound paranoid about your own age and getting older. That's life, there's nothing you can do about it accept it. But you can look and feel really young no matter what age you are.
Do you know old those morons who do the show are? In their 50s. Im surprised that they are still in business. Now stfu fool.
yay

United States

#64 May 3, 2011
11,000 hipsters with ironic t-shirts.
funny

United States

#65 May 3, 2011
Family wrote:
I would like to see Omar Rodriguez's Dad El Doctor de Salsa get down with his Salsa band or join Omar and little brother who looks just like Omar.
Boy now that would have been a circus show with two semi talented pendejos and one jotillo on stage. No gracias.
tumbleweed

El Paso, TX

#66 May 3, 2011
It's very funny to hear people happy that the money is going back into the community. There are only two non profits recieving proceeds, Amor Por Juarez is one of them. So go give your money to Amor por Juarez, you can never give enough.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Progressive-Rock Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Alabamaa s voters, divided over Trumpa s remark... Oct '17 Mullahing It Over 43
News Beto O'Rourke, Ted Cruz challenger, answers que... Aug '17 Fart Ted Fart 3
News Top StoryTupac Shakur, Pearl Jam, Yes to be ind... (Dec '16) Dec '16 Dr Wu 1
News Guitarist/singer Greg Lake of Emerson, Lake and... (Dec '16) Dec '16 Dr Wu 1
News How and why Jaguar designed an electric SUV (Nov '16) Nov '16 GGabrielK 1
News Three questions with Debbie Harry... (Jun '07) Oct '16 Shelly 2
News Daevid Allen Weird Quartet - Elevenses (Feb '16) Feb '16 Mitt s Dog Crate ... 1
More from around the web