11,000 attend Neon Desert Music Festival, second fest a certainty

Full story: El Paso Times 56
The glowsticks have barely faded from the first one, but a second Neon Desert Music Festival in 2012 appears to be a certainty. Full Story
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
funny

Los Angeles, CA

#1 May 2, 2011
11,000 people X $35 =$385,000, not including drink/food/merchandise sales, or sponsorship $$. I think we can say they made enough money.

This festival was clearly another scheme to "put money in their pockets." Lets get some organizers that are not only into money but truly want to see the city succeed. Each one of them is going to get at least $20,000 from this event. That could go to better acts.
Rockette

El Paso, TX

#2 May 2, 2011
City council should go into the rock festival business!
pocoyo

El Paso, TX

#3 May 2, 2011
If they were smart, they would have made sure to put the amount money they were donating to non-profits up front. they did not. Even if you do the simple math, there is no way the made 385k because we don't know what the comp ticket number is. And the also had a discount ticket of 18.00 dollars on grupon. I am not against having these types of events, but when you are given advertising funds of 20k and hotels and resturants are not getting a spike on sales based on the popularity of the event, then the organizers need to pony up the advertising dollars themselves. Anyone who has tried to be a promoter would know this.
Reentry

El Paso, TX

#4 May 2, 2011
If they had allowed reentry, they would have had more attendance
sylvia sanchez

El Paso, TX

#5 May 2, 2011
these young people from Coronado were smart. they took an idea that they had seen in bigger cities and they brought it back to el paso. they have heart. and having heart means knowing your town and taking a chance on it, which they did. it doesn't matter if they made money, and i am sure we were all counting, but what matters is that they did it. they are young enough to know just how many other young people there are and how much is needed in El Paso. They put their best foot forward and that's what El Paso is all about.

Congratulations Young People of El Paso!!!!!!
haha

El Paso, TX

#6 May 2, 2011
funny wrote:
11,000 people X $35 =$385,000, not including drink/food/merchandise sales, or sponsorship $$. I think we can say they made enough money.
This festival was clearly another scheme to "put money in their pockets." Lets get some organizers that are not only into money but truly want to see the city succeed. Each one of them is going to get at least $20,000 from this event. That could go to better acts.
Let me see I guess the local rock station that sponsor's the ballon fest and the street fest are not in it to put money in their pockets either right.
east ep

El Paso, TX

#8 May 2, 2011
Glad to see another event come to town other than the one's put on by klaq.This can only get better in the future with more people coming from surrounding cities.Good job to those 3 young el pasoan's and good luck with future festival's.
Tom in Austin

Austin, TX

#9 May 2, 2011
I'm glad the festival was a success. Congrats to the organizers who put it together. This is a great thing for all El Pasoans. Eventually this will bring much needed tourism and out of town recognition to the city. The bands that played aren't your typical has been 80's hair bands and generic rock that the Balloon and Street Fest bring. Let's keep this thing going!
Local

El Paso, TX

#10 May 2, 2011
It was great! I look forward to next year:)
DeeBee

El Paso, TX

#11 May 2, 2011
It was fun, and different. It was pretty neat to see it come to fruition. Good job and thanks for doing something cool in the EPT!
bsquared82

Scottsdale, AZ

#12 May 2, 2011
There is no need for all the negativity coming from these comments. The festival was amazing and, in my opinion, one of the best, if not the best, event put on in El Paso. Yes the bands weren't all well known, but that didn't end up mattering. Kinky and Los Amigos Invisibles turned out to be two of the best shows I saw and I had never heard of them. I'm now a new fan of Radio La Chusma. Great job El Paso and congratulations to the people that put this event on!
bsquared82

Scottsdale, AZ

#13 May 2, 2011
For the record I live in El Paso. I don't know why it put Arizona as my location.
Joe

El Paso, TX

#14 May 2, 2011
funny wrote:
The event organizers are entrepreneurs. They do this not only for the cause, but also to make money - just like someone running a car wash or selling burritos. For you to decide just how much money they are allowed to make is selfish, ignorant, and un-American.
Luis

El Paso, TX

#15 May 2, 2011
Neon Desert Music Festival was groundbreaking in what they did. El Paso has been asking for this for some time now and they did, and did it right. More power to them if they made money on the event. One of the biggest reasons why young creatives leave is because there is no money for us in this city, and there success is very well deserved.
NDMF is not the only entity breaking ground in EP. Under the Frequency is a web series produced by DoubleScope Films and it is the first of its kind, taking El Paso culture to the world, with production values you would expect from the best networks.
Check it out: doublescopefilms.com/underthefrequency
Peon Desert Festival

El Paso, TX

#16 May 2, 2011
11,000 turn out is such crap heard from an inside source within the festival that it was only 6,000-7,000 but for sponsorship/media sake they are going to exaggerate those actual numbers (11,000). Event was done half ****, the sound blew, the talent blew, this was very dis-organzied. I prefer downtown street festival, they get 15-20k without having to pimp el paso for 20k nor take advantage of "volunteers". the point of the 20k is to pump money back into El Paso economy , not take it, juice el pasoans for their free labor and run to austin with the money. I'm almost willing to bet that none of the local talent got paid and instead got paid with "FREE" tickets to the event for their friends, groupies, support Local my ****,just another slickster trying to make a buck at the expense of idiots... sounds like wolves in sheep's skin, you can put wool on the wolf, but a wolf is still a wolf! WAKE UP EL PASO YOU JUST GOT IT IN THE ARSE ROYALY!
Alma

El Paso, TX

#17 May 2, 2011
2 thumbs up on the festival! 2 thumbs down on lack of so-called water stations! OVERALL GRADE: B+
BRAVO EL PASO! FINALLY!
computer virus

El Paso, TX

#19 May 2, 2011
events like NDMF where discovered on the backbone of the young, creative and enthusiastic minds of the youth of el paso, who have also staged events like The Barbed Wire Open Mic Series, First Fridays/La Parada, Al Fresco Fridays, played hosts to such galleries as the 2nd Floor and have run production teams such as Double Scope Films with Under the Frequency.

artists like the DA, the Royalty, Zechs Marqueses, Radio La Chusma, Bulletproof Tiger and the Lusitania are on their way to stardom.

This is the "foundation" that many artists in el paso have been asking for for many years. now we have it, and now we only grow bigger from here.

i'm so happy el paso is finally waking up and realizing two things.

1) we're not austin, we're never going to be austin.

2) we're chuco!! better than any austin on the map! we have our own style, and this is what we do.

i love my city, and this event was not only the greatest thing to ever happen to our cool little town, but also the great awakening of the young and spirited youth. congratulations to everyone!

let's hope this helps that dirty little inferiority complex of ours.
computer virus

El Paso, TX

#20 May 2, 2011
Peon Desert Festival wrote:
11,000 turn out is such crap heard from an inside source within the festival that it was only 6,000-7,000 but for sponsorship/media sake they are going to exaggerate those actual numbers (11,000). Event was done half ****, the sound blew, the talent blew, this was very dis-organzied. I prefer downtown street festival, they get 15-20k without having to pimp el paso for 20k nor take advantage of "volunteers". the point of the 20k is to pump money back into El Paso economy , not take it, juice el pasoans for their free labor and run to austin with the money. I'm almost willing to bet that none of the local talent got paid and instead got paid with "FREE" tickets to the event for their friends, groupies, support Local my ****,just another slickster trying to make a buck at the expense of idiots... sounds like wolves in sheep's skin, you can put wool on the wolf, but a wolf is still a wolf! WAKE UP EL PASO YOU JUST GOT IT IN THE ARSE ROYALY!
lol, inside source. ok, john stossel.....you take your inside source and enjoy your street festival. from what i saw, everyone and their mother had a blast at this thing. only thing was, i don't think i saw you there. how could i? i didn't hear anybody pissing and moaning about anything all day.

xoxo
fixXxed

Las Cruces, NM

#21 May 2, 2011
good event, great starting point! keep up the good work!
Coolluck

Lubbock, TX

#23 May 2, 2011
computer virus wrote:
events like NDMF where discovered on the backbone of the young, creative and enthusiastic minds of the youth of el paso, who have also staged events like The Barbed Wire Open Mic Series, First Fridays/La Parada, Al Fresco Fridays, played hosts to such galleries as the 2nd Floor and have run production teams such as Double Scope Films with Under the Frequency.
artists like the DA, the Royalty, Zechs Marqueses, Radio La Chusma, Bulletproof Tiger and the Lusitania are on their way to stardom.
This is the "foundation" that many artists in el paso have been asking for for many years. now we have it, and now we only grow bigger from here.
i'm so happy el paso is finally waking up and realizing two things.
1) we're not austin, we're never going to be austin.
2) we're chuco!! better than any austin on the map! we have our own style, and this is what we do.
i love my city, and this event was not only the greatest thing to ever happen to our cool little town, but also the great awakening of the young and spirited youth. congratulations to everyone!
let's hope this helps that dirty little inferiority complex of ours.
Do not call El Paso El Chuco. That is the idiotic mentality that keeps people away and drives out a lot of talented young blood. We are exactly what the sign says, El Paso.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Progressive-Rock Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Winery Dogs make their Philadelphia debut t... Jul '14 Sterling Boyd 1
Wing walker's emotional tribute to Stephen Sutton May '14 Richard Smith 1
Heather Findlay and Dave Kerzner form Mantra Vega May '14 Stephen Allenby 1
For O'Rourke, border a plus not a minus Mar '14 Harvey Wireman 4
Steven Wilson/Pineapple Thief 7inch limited to ... (Dec '13) Dec '13 meid 1
Weekend Rock Question: What Is the Greatest Vid... (Oct '13) Oct '13 phiwhite 2
Iman, 58, shows off her stunning curves in a fi... (Oct '13) Oct '13 tigger31086 2
•••
•••

Progressive-Rock People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••