Underground Rock Bands Steal The Meta...

Underground Rock Bands Steal The Metal Thunder

There are 9 comments on the Hartford Courant story from Aug 18, 2008, titled Underground Rock Bands Steal The Metal Thunder. In it, Hartford Courant reports that:

An interesting dichotomy played out on the main stage when the Rockstar Energy Drink Mayhem Festival rolled through Dodge Music Center in Hartford Saturday.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hartford Courant.

Dave

Halifax, Canada

#1 Aug 18, 2008
This article is a joke.
Kat

Chandler, AZ

#2 Aug 18, 2008
Granted didn't see the Hartford show, but I have seen Disturbed on THIS tour. They were amazing! Are you sure you went to the show or just wrote the article from the safety of your living room?
lady

Newington, CT

#3 Aug 18, 2008
Totally agree with Kat & Dave... this review was a joke! I went to the Mayhem Fest @ The Meadows and it was unbelievable!!!!!!!!!

Some of my fav's were Five Finger Death Punch, Airbourne, Dragonforce, Disturbed...and because of Slipknot's AWESOME performance I am now a HUGE FAN!!!!!!!

Disturbed, "like slow dinosaurs ready for extinction"??? Are you kidding me??? Disturbed got the crowd jumping and crazy!!! They kicked butt!! Vocals annoy??? You are joking, right?

"Slipknot -- band as a whole seemed unfocused, as if the musicians weren't sure whether they wanted to be a heavy band in their own right, or a more tepid copy of Disturbed." Unfocused? Not sure if they wanted to be heavy?? I don't know a lot of Slipknot's songs but from what I do know of them they are a serious focused band and serious kick butt heavy and know exactly where they want to be...in your face with metal!!! Their performance was strong, full of energy and the crowd was loving every minute!!!

I know everyone entitled to their opinions but this review was way off !!
Jake

United States

#4 Aug 18, 2008
Whoever wrote this article is an idiot. He must not have been to the same show that I was at (LAST NIGHT, nissan pavilion) but Mastodon and Dragonforce sucked pretty hard. Herman Li was as sloppy as ever on guitar, mangling their songs that sound "almost impressive" on their album cuts. Mastodon was "OKAY" but they didn't have ANY crowd energy going on at all. no one was standing and the guys in the pit BARELY had their hands up.

Disturbed (while not my favorite band) put on a good show. pulled a 9yr old girl and her mother on the stage (cute story)

Slipknot has never looked better. more focused and enthused to play than i have ever seen them, and i've seen them PLENTY OF TIMES. though they didn't play all my favorite songs, the set was amazing and the energy was just astonishing.

THIS ARTICLE=EPIC FAIL!
Scott

United States

#5 Aug 18, 2008
Did you even attend the show? The seats were about 2/5 full and most of the audience was half asleep while Dragonforce was onstage. I heard several people comment on how they would have preferred Five Finger Death Punch in that spot. Disturbed owned the place and had the crowd into every single song. If you'd like a lesson on Disturbed you can actually listen to their albums and hear that Indestructible is heavier than previous releases. They played songs from all four albums and every one you'd expect them to play - saying David's vocal tics annoy you is the giveaway that you simply do not care for the band. If that wasn't enough, taking a shot at David for playing to the Hartford crowd is insane. Who doesn't say things like that? He fired up the crowd. Considering the audience knew every word and every "tic" I am sure you speak for the masses.

Slipknot didn't have as much of the crowd as Disturbed did (simply because Disturbed is more popular in this area) but they still put on a great show. The audience was into the big hits (like Duality) and enjoyed the heaviest songs too (Prosthetics). I can't imagine what the guys in the band would say and do to you when after you referred to them as "radio-friendly" and a "commercial loud rock [band]". I know parents across America love hearing their children tune into Corey Taylor's screams and seeing his beautifully horrifying mask on their TVs.

I loved when the Dragonforce lead singer went into the crowd - did you see Corey or David try that? I don't think so. Well, you wouldn't know either way since it's clear you did not attend the show, but I can assure you that they attempted no such thing. They would have been engulfed in adoring fans.

This article is simply a holier-than-thou and condescending attempt to take shots at the bands at the front of nu metal (even though it's tough to put Disturbed in that category) while believing only the "underground" is acceptable for real rock music. Get over yourself. All of the bands were good but Disturbed and Slipknot put on an absolutely fantastic show.
Bridget

New York, NY

#6 Aug 20, 2008
Disturbed bored the crowd? Try telling that to the hundreds of people behind me when they crushed me into the barrier when the lights went out for them, and they didn't let up until the lights came back on after Slipknot ended. I didn't feel any pushing whatsoever when Mastadon or Dragonforce were playing. And I don't know what show this reporter was at, but the Slipknot performance that I saw at the Dodge on the 16th absolutely destroyed the performances by all the other bands who had played.
Melody A

Mabank, TX

#7 Nov 15, 2008
Bridget wrote:
Disturbed bored the crowd? Try telling that to the hundreds of people behind me when they crushed me into the barrier when the lights went out for them, and they didn't let up until the lights came back on after Slipknot ended. I didn't feel any pushing whatsoever when Mastadon or Dragonforce were playing. And I don't know what show this reporter was at, but the Slipknot performance that I saw at the Dodge on the 16th absolutely destroyed the performances by all the other bands who had played.
aint no way that that band bores a crowd. that band is so awesome!!!
sh8o

Lindenhurst, NY

#8 Dec 26, 2008
I've seen Disturbed 3 times. I liked them a lot with their first album but found most of everything after it uninspiring. They seem afraid to grow as musicians or as a band. Personally I think Draiman is a business man more than musician. Pandering to his loyal fans to make sure their #1. Who fuckin cares? Leave that to Nickelback and Seether. Anyway , I find their shows to be very methodical and premeditated , without that raw soul and energy and totally reliant on modern live audio enhancement technology. With that said,their hard core fans seemed to enjoy it.

“Never go to my youtube channel”

Since: Sep 13

United Kingdom

#9 Sep 21, 2013
Disturd isn't real music, Elton John is real music, remember that.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Metal Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Al-Maliki steps down as Iraqi prime minister (Aug '14) Jul 27 swedenforever 11
News Legacy started with a single album for S.N.F.U. Jul 18 Stating the Obvious 2
News Ask Phil Anselmo Anything (Oct '12) Jul 14 Heretic 4
News Gurzi Pleads Guilty, Sentenced to 12 Years in P... (Dec '07) Jul 14 nofool 10
News Beloved El Paso metal band Pissing Razors reuni... Jul 9 DC Dave 1
News ISIS supporter Aaron Driver's charter challenge... Jul 8 American Jingoist 6
News KISS, Motley Crue rock out in Louisville (Aug '12) Jul 8 rebel111 24
More from around the web