Music Box: Ex-Supreme Mary Wilson offers new range of songs

Feb 19, 2009 Full story: Hometown Annapolis 15

Mary Wilson, the former Supreme, continues her run at Blues Alley in Georgetown this weekend .

Full Story
James Grattan

United States

#1 Feb 19, 2009
I think Mary Wison is an idiot.
Mark Desjardins

Canada

#2 Mar 14, 2009
I was fortunate to obtain a limited edition copy of Mary Wilson's "Live From San Francisco....Up Close" CD and I was stunned at her vocal range and vitality. Her Fan Club president confided to me that had seen her perform the same show just last month and it is even better. Much aligned, Mary is a survivor and gets my respect. It is impossible for female artists of a certain age to obtain recording contracts today. Aretha Franklin, Diana Ross and Dionne Warwick are among the casualties of this new reality.
Supremes Fan

Richmond, VA

#3 Mar 28, 2009
Mary is a surviver.
Supremes Fan

Richmond, VA

#4 Mar 28, 2009
James Grattan wrote:
I think Mary Wison is an idiot.
Mary is a surviver
Mark Desjardins

Canada

#5 Apr 4, 2009
Mary Wilson taped her "Up Close" cabaret show while performing in Las Vegas recently and a DVD will be released in shortly. Mary has come into her own now and while it may not change the mind of her detractors, she will win over new fans as well as solidify her fan base. If she takes her show anywhere near Vancouver, I will travel to cheer her on!
latinrick

San Ramon, CA

#6 Jun 8, 2009
PLEASE..HATE HER...HATE HER UNTALENTED VOICE.....MARY HAS MADE SO MANY MISTAKES IN HER CAREER THAT IT WAS NO LONGER A CAREER, BUT A DIANA BASHING IDIOT. THAT IS HER CAREER TO BASH DIANA AND LIE ABOUT BEING FRIENDS...HEARD DIANA READ DIANA DOES NOT WANT ANYTHING TO DO WITH THIS COW. GO BACK TO DOING COKE MARY...YOU SEMMED A LITTLE HUMAN THEN!
Fairness Doctrine

Richmond, VA

#7 Jun 11, 2009
latinrick wrote:
PLEASE..HATE HER...HATE HER UNTALENTED VOICE.....MARY HAS MADE SO MANY MISTAKES IN HER CAREER THAT IT WAS NO LONGER A CAREER, BUT A DIANA BASHING IDIOT. THAT IS HER CAREER TO BASH DIANA AND LIE ABOUT BEING FRIENDS...HEARD DIANA READ DIANA DOES NOT WANT ANYTHING TO DO WITH THIS COW. GO BACK TO DOING COKE MARY...YOU SEMMED A LITTLE HUMAN THEN!
Do I detect a little jealousy here?You don't know the first thing about Mary or Diane.Grow up little child,grow up.
Fairness Doctrine

Richmond, VA

#8 Jun 11, 2009
latinrick,you don't know the first thing about Mary or Diane.Grow up little child,grow up.
Bear

Saint Catharines, Canada

#9 Mar 2, 2011
Survivor?

Of What?, Herpes?, She's a Psychotic Parasite, Living on the crumbs dropped from Diana Ross's Table.
larrynyc

New York, NY

#10 Mar 6, 2011
I don't hate Mary but will never forgive her for bashing Diana who is responsible for her career. She owes Diana everything and a very heartfelt public apology is a good place to start.

Since: Apr 11

Hinsdale, IL

#11 Apr 14, 2011
larrynyc wrote:
I don't hate Mary but will never forgive her for bashing Diana who is responsible for her career. She owes Diana everything and a very heartfelt public apology is a good place to start.
This is so true! Anyone who knows the history of the Supremes knows that Diana was the last choice as lead vocalist of the Supremes in the early days - in fact, before they were even called the Supremes. Truth is, they couldn't sell a record disk until Motown smartened up and made Diana Ross the lead singer. Without Diana finally becoming the lead singer of the group, we wouldn't be writing this thread because no one would have ever heard of the phenomenal group. Mary Wilson was good "oooooh-ing" and "aaaaah-ing" in the background, but never made it as a lead singer. She ought to be thanking Diana with every breath she has left. But know, she's dillusional. Totally dillusional! Diana made any career Mary ever had possible - and everyone ought to know that.
Marc

Union City, CA

#12 Apr 20, 2011
hate this bitch with such passion! shes as useless as dog poop! and hell no there is no ljealousy here..just plain hatred for this bitch!
neil david

UK

#13 Dec 9, 2011
its rather sad that people can say some of the awful things on this site and get away with it. leave mary alone. she is a talent in her own right. diana ross cant sing in key .this is proved beyond doubt.mary has a career now in r n b and jazz asnd has a large fan base in the uk. i have all 3 albums of mary and like what i hear . some commenters need to get over the fact that mary is successful in her own right bnow. she doesnt need the drag queen ross whos only audience is gay drag queens trying to insulkt her by parading round like her. if she had a real brain she would see it for what it is an insult to her. but dont worry she is just using u fools to make money. she would not survive without it. so so sad but there you have it . enough said.
Larry NYC

Brooklyn, NY

#14 Dec 21, 2011
Mary owed Diana a BIG apology. Without Diana nobody would even know she existed!!
Jim

Point Pleasant, WV

#15 Jan 4, 2012
I was a huge fan of the Supremes and followed Diana's solo career very carefully. I was a fan of the original Supremes and stayed with them when Cindy Birdsong stepped in. However, I lost respect for Mary Wilson after her book Dreamgirls came out. The book bashed Diana needlessly. Diana, in my opinion, stayed cool, calm, and collected. I have never read an interview or heard Diana make a public comment about Mary. Classy, I think. The general public, old and young, drag queens and good old straight people. Diana plays to them all and she does it well. There would be no divas without Miss Ross.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Jazz Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
How Meghan Trainor Is Exploiting Body Image, Ju... 16 hr friv4school 1
Tony Bennett and Lady Gaga's 'Cheek to Cheek':T... Sep 24 Sleep To Sleep 1
Lady Gaga and Tony Bennett show little chemistr... Sep 23 Big mike 7
Remembering WBEE Harvey, Illinois (Aug '07) Sep 22 Anon 17
Belgian jazz musician Thielemans retires at 91 (Mar '14) Sep 19 Trak 3
How to become a jazz musician? Sep 16 Dick 1
Revisiting the early days of Chicago's social-d... Sep 15 suoper hard 2

Jazz People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE