Posted in the Hip-Hop Forum

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Chris

Pittsburg, TX

#1 Feb 13, 2009
The 10 most overrated rappers...
10.DMX - X isn't a bad rapper or anything but way to many people think he is a top 10 mc,and a few think he is the best.This is just a outragous idea to me.He never uses metaphors,never uses multis,can't freestyle at all from what I've been told,can't really flow well,and the whole pittbull rapper gimick is kind of lame.
----------
9.Jay-Z - I know Ubelian is wondering "Why so low".Well for one a lot of people hate jay-z,and a lot of people just don't like him that much.
Which is why I have decided to defend him around here.
However I see many people calling him a top 5 rapper,and I see MTV calling him the best rapper.That is unfortunate because he is neither.
He can flip a cool metaphor and all but he doesn't talk about shit.I'm not saying everyone has to be Chuck-D but seriously.And he has dropped more than one dud in his time and has a serious lack of emotion on some tracks.
----------
8.Immortal Technique - I.T is a idiot who rants his crack-pot conspiracy theorys over poor beats,without useing much technique.And have you heard "The Thrid World" not recomended unless you want to torture yourself.
----------
7.tie:Kanye West and Lil Wayne - I loved 'Ye back when he was working with jay-z and I like his first two albums but his new stuff is unbearable.
And lil wayne is just bad no other way to explain that.
----------
6.Snoop Dogg - Snoop is just so lazy.When was the last time you could whole-heartedly say he put a 100% effort into a album or live performance?If you haven't been to a Snoop Dogg live show DONT DO IT this is a warning.He mumbles at least half his lyrics because he forgets them it's embaressing.His entire standing in hip-hop is based off one album.Hardly the career of a legend.
----------
5.Biggy - Biggy is a strange case.Because he clearly had more potential than Big L or 2pac.And he clearly had more talent than either.I just can't see why he is considered the G.O.A.T by so many.
----------
4.Big-L - Where to start.Well for one the mis-concetion is that I hate Big L when I do not.I just think he was such a "what if" that you can't even tell where his career was heading.And imo he was heading into a negetive direction.
----------
3.Eminem - In case you haven't noticed I've had a love hate relationship with slim shady.
The love is that he just didn't give a f*ck when he started off.He was a real mc not conforming to atypical content and used to spit some of the hottest multis in hip-hop.
The hate is that the subject matter I also praise gets really stale after a minute and it could've helped if he didn't go into Slim Shady mode so often but just occasionally and after "The Eminem Show" he dumbed himself down so much that he became a parody of himself.
----------
2.Eazy-E - I believe I have said it one billion times so I don't need to explain it again.
----------
1.2pac - Anyone who really knows me knows I don't like 2pac that much.Why?Well I've given a couple of rants about why I don't like him in the past so I don't feel like I need to explain myself again,but I will say this.I find his music painfull to listen to.
RLL

Anchorage, AK

#2 Feb 14, 2009
Man it hurts me 2 see Em and DMX in ya list, but I knew ya felt that way so I ain't surprised. I actually think DMX is underrated, and other than me I ain't seen anyone else name him tha best. And az 4 Em he's def recognized but most ppl recognize him 4 tha wrong reasons. He is recognized for songs like Without Me, and Real Slim Shady, etc. when he should be recognized az tha best lyricist ever, (yes I said it, and I believe I've already said I feel that way.) O and by tha way DMX has done plenty of multi's, and I also heard that he beat Jigga in a freestyle battle back in tha day.
Chris

Pittsburg, TX

#3 Feb 14, 2009
RLL wrote:
Man it hurts me 2 see Em and DMX in ya list, but I knew ya felt that way so I ain't surprised. I actually think DMX is underrated, and other than me I ain't seen anyone else name him tha best. And az 4 Em he's def recognized but most ppl recognize him 4 tha wrong reasons. He is recognized for songs like Without Me, and Real Slim Shady, etc. when he should be recognized az tha best lyricist ever,(yes I said it, and I believe I've already said I feel that way.) O and by tha way DMX has done plenty of multi's, and I also heard that he beat Jigga in a freestyle battle back in tha day.
He only beat jay-z in a battle because he recycled some of his old maiterial and jay-z was just spitting off the top of the dome,and where are these multis you speak of I've never heard them?
Em' the best lyricist?I guess that's an opinion but I can't take that seriously,when he trys he is one of the better rappers when he doesn't he just makes the bad music we've been accustomed to for the last 6 years or so.
RLL

Anchorage, AK

#4 Feb 15, 2009
Chris wrote:
<quoted text>
He only beat jay-z in a battle because he recycled some of his old maiterial and jay-z was just spitting off the top of the dome,and where are these multis you speak of I've never heard them?
Em' the best lyricist?I guess that's an opinion but I can't take that seriously,when he trys he is one of the better rappers when he doesn't he just makes the bad music we've been accustomed to for the last 6 years or so.
Em's spit crazy crazy lyrics multiple times and I don't kno anyone who has topped his best work lyrically. Name me someone who's dropped a verse better than any Em verse.
Chris

Pittsburg, TX

#6 Feb 15, 2009
RLL wrote:
<quoted text>
Em's spit crazy crazy lyrics multiple times and I don't kno anyone who has topped his best work lyrically. Name me someone who's dropped a verse better than any Em verse.
Ok.Just off the top of my head - better verses than eminem ever has or ever will do.
Nas - It ain't hard to tell
Inspectah Deck - Triumph
Az - Lifes a Bitch.
Biggy - The What
Prodigy - Shook Ones Pt.2
these are better than any verse eminem ever did.And by saying "Name someone whos made a better verse than any Em verse" you look like a fanboy.
RLL

Anchorage, AK

#7 Feb 15, 2009
Chris wrote:
<quoted text>
Ok.Just off the top of my head - better verses than eminem ever has or ever will do.
Nas - It ain't hard to tell
Inspectah Deck - Triumph
Az - Lifes a Bitch.
Biggy - The What
Prodigy - Shook Ones Pt.2
these are better than any verse eminem ever did.And by saying "Name someone whos made a better verse than any Em verse" you look like a fanboy.
I really couldn't figure out another way 2 ask that. I guess I shoulda said name someone who's spit a better verse than any of Em's best verses, but he has so many.
RLL

Anchorage, AK

#8 Feb 15, 2009
And by tha way I think your insane 4 sayin' Big's The What and Prodigy's Shook Ones Pt. II verse are better than any Em verse. I kno how u feel about Em but seriously, can't u respect his lyrical talent at least a lil' bit man? How can u listen to songs such as Low Down Dirty, Scary Movies, Hellbound, Bad Meets Evil, Just Don't Give a F**k, No One's Iller, Trife Thieves etc. and not hear all those rhymes he does? I mean come on man, he's made really really bad music but no way can u say that stuff ain't lyrical. And no verse u named can touch Em's best. Ain't Hard to Tell is good, but no way it touches an Em verse. I mean honestly, count tha number of rhymes in that verse then go count tha rhymes in one of tha Em verses.
RLL

Anchorage, AK

#9 Feb 15, 2009
"I shove a gun in ya grill, greezy and heated, smothered in hot mustard, so when I feed it 2 u it's easy to eat it,
u need 2 be immediately treated, while u breathin' it you'll be leavin' tha recievin' room this evenin' wit Jesus.
Hate on us, we'll be waitin' on eight corners,
and swarmin' ya hood wit a thousand angry skate boarders.
I hop in a jeep, slam on tha gas and charge u,
and bombard u in tha car that ya mom bought u.
F**k around and get choked, and found in a moat,
floatin' around, drowned, face down in a boat.
I'll pile five dudes in a pinto and pull up 2 tha 7 Mile drive thru,
at McDonalds and pile drive u.
I got tha power 2 snatch a mothaf**ka out of his car, when he rides by me at 90 miles an hour.
This place is my house, I might as well erase my face wit white out,
cause ya'll can see me wit Mase's eyebrows."

now let's look at tha rhymes in that verse.

Greezy and heated, feed it, easy to eat it, immediately treated.
Breathin', leavin', recievin', evenin'.
Eight corners, skateboarders.
Charge u, bombard u, mom bought u.
Choke, moat, around, drowned, facedown, boat.
Five dudes, 7 mile drive thru, pile drive u.
Power, hour.
My house, white out, eyebrows.

Now tha only really one that's average in that verse is power and hour. I don't understand how u can still critisize my opinion but I'm sure you'll find a way so I'll be waitin' on ya next reply. By tha way not tryna be an a$$hole, just like havin' these lil' friendly arguments.
ubeillin

Tampa, FL

#10 Feb 16, 2009
By the way, my username on here is: Ubeillin, as in U be illin, like The Run DMC song. Not Ubeiilan or whatever you call me. LOL
I have said it a bunch of times about Eminem. go look at just those rhymes you just typed. They either dont rhyme, rhymes the same word or is simple like boat & moat, thru & you. Some people are willing to overlook this, and I dont judge the people, but to me thats crap. Its not rapping when you try to make things sound like they rhyme when they dont. You are now making it easy when you break rhyme syndicates rules.
And by the way, Rakim can rhyme verse for verse better than Eminem & his stuff rhymes.
He rhymes stuff like posin & frozen, surgery & burgundy, understand 'em & brand 'em. And to me the last verse of The Punisher by Eric B & Rakim is the single best rap verse ever written.
As for the 10 most overrated, well most are going to be newer MC's as I havent heard anyone that deserves top 25 status. But here we go:

10. Nas (I know it may sound crazy, but he gets his c*ck rode like Tupac, but to a lesser degree) I love Nas, I have him at #4 all-time, but once in a while I hear the hands down, by far, not even close, the greatest who was ever born in the world in the history of the universe & beyond LOL
9. Dr. Dre (not bad but I hear his name way too much, come on, hes not close to elite
8. Andre 3000 (definitely good, but not top 20)
7. Snoop Dogg
6. 50 Cent
5. Kanye West
4. Lil' Wayne
3. Tupac (I have him at #5 all-time) so that shows you the ridiculous worshipping that goes on. A great rapper becomes god-like.
2. Eminem
1. Jay-Z
Chris

Pittsburg, TX

#11 Feb 16, 2009
ubeillin wrote:
By the way, my username on here is: Ubeillin, as in U be illin, like The Run DMC song. Not Ubeiilan or whatever you call me. LOL
I have said it a bunch of times about Eminem. go look at just those rhymes you just typed. They either dont rhyme, rhymes the same word or is simple like boat & moat, thru & you. Some people are willing to overlook this, and I dont judge the people, but to me thats crap. Its not rapping when you try to make things sound like they rhyme when they dont. You are now making it easy when you break rhyme syndicates rules.
And by the way, Rakim can rhyme verse for verse better than Eminem & his stuff rhymes.
He rhymes stuff like posin & frozen, surgery & burgundy, understand 'em & brand 'em. And to me the last verse of The Punisher by Eric B & Rakim is the single best rap verse ever written.
As for the 10 most overrated, well most are going to be newer MC's as I havent heard anyone that deserves top 25 status. But here we go:
10. Nas (I know it may sound crazy, but he gets his c*ck rode like Tupac, but to a lesser degree) I love Nas, I have him at #4 all-time, but once in a while I hear the hands down, by far, not even close, the greatest who was ever born in the world in the history of the universe & beyond LOL
9. Dr. Dre (not bad but I hear his name way too much, come on, hes not close to elite
7. Snoop Dogg
6. 50 Cent
5. Kanye West
4. Lil' Wayne
3. Tupac (I have him at #5 all-time) so that shows you the ridiculous worshipping that goes on. A great rapper becomes god-like.
2. Eminem
1. Jay-Z
that would be good if you didn't put Andre 3x on there.That dude owns.Look how consistent he is listen to how he flows.Def a top 20 rapper.
Come on look at his classics hell yeah he's top 20.
50 Cent ... isn't really "overrated" anymore.Everyone hates him so much now.Even the most diehard G-Unit fans are jumping ship.
And Nas fans are a little bit annoying now.I was thinking about putting him on my list.
ubeillin

Tampa, FL

#12 Feb 16, 2009
Chris wrote:
<quoted text>
that would be good if you didn't put Andre 3x on there.That dude owns.Look how consistent he is listen to how he flows.Def a top 20 rapper.
Come on look at his classics hell yeah he's top 20.
50 Cent ... isn't really "overrated" anymore.Everyone hates him so much now.Even the most diehard G-Unit fans are jumping ship.
And Nas fans are a little bit annoying now.I was thinking about putting him on my list.
I guess I just gets super irritated when I hear MC's sing and he has done that on more than a few songs. That Idlewild stuff was a big mess to me. Rapping fast doesnt always mean better. i dont think much of him as a lyricist. I would have no problem putting 20 MC's in front of him. Method Man for one & i know you wont agree, but that is why everyone has their own tastes. Cant deny either ones talent, just comes down to your personal preference and i would rather listen to Tical II than Outkast's best album.
Chris

Pittsburg, TX

#13 Feb 16, 2009
ubeillin wrote:
<quoted text>
I guess I just gets super irritated when I hear MC's sing and he has done that on more than a few songs. That Idlewild stuff was a big mess to me. Rapping fast doesnt always mean better. i dont think much of him as a lyricist. I would have no problem putting 20 MC's in front of him. Method Man for one & i know you wont agree, but that is why everyone has their own tastes. Cant deny either ones talent, just comes down to your personal preference and i would rather listen to Tical II than Outkast's best album.
I died a little inside when you said Method Man was a better rapper than Andre.YOU CANNOT BE SEROUS Method Man?The most overhyped and underachieving member of the wu-tang clan?Tical II better than Atlians and Aquemini.I would rather get hit in the face with a steel chair than go through Tical II again,and Tical 0 was the biggest diaster of all time.
The singing thing he is getting into is really lame and Speakerboxx owns The Love Bellow(big bois album is speakerboxx and 'Dres is the love bellow).Mainly because of the singing thing.But Andre is a lyrical and creative mastermind.
RLL

Anchorage, AK

#14 Feb 16, 2009
ubeillin wrote:
7. Snoop Dogg
6. 50 Cent
5. Kanye West
4. Lil' Wayne
2. Eminem
1. Jay-Z
so greezy and heated and easy to eat it doesn't rhyme? I don't get it man u should give me more examples of Em tryna rhyme words that don't rhyme cuz I don't see it.
ubeillin

Tampa, FL

#15 Feb 16, 2009
Chris wrote:
<quoted text>
I died a little inside when you said Method Man was a better rapper than Andre.YOU CANNOT BE SEROUS Method Man?The most overhyped and underachieving member of the wu-tang clan?Tical II better than Atlians and Aquemini.I would rather get hit in the face with a steel chair than go through Tical II again,and Tical 0 was the biggest diaster of all time.
The singing thing he is getting into is really lame and Speakerboxx owns The Love Bellow(big bois album is speakerboxx and 'Dres is the love bellow).Mainly because of the singing thing.But Andre is a lyrical and creative mastermind.
I am not saying Andre 3000 or Method Man is better. simply I would rather listen to him than Andre. When it comes to southern rap, I just cant stand it. I never liked it from when I first heard Outkast to Master P to the present. Unless it is Scarface or Getto Boys. To tell you the truth, you know the only fairly modern MC to come out of the south that I actually dont think is all that bad is Ludacris. I know he does the ringtone & cheesy hook raps, but he can rap with emotion & has a great voice for hip-hop. If he bared down and forgot about what everyone else is doing & really concentrated on making a good rap album with a good old school type producer I wonder what it would be like? I think he has real potential.
ubeillin

Tampa, FL

#16 Feb 16, 2009
RLL wrote:
<quoted text>
so greezy and heated and easy to eat it doesn't rhyme? I don't get it man u should give me more examples of Em tryna rhyme words that don't rhyme cuz I don't see it.
what about the rest of those rhymes you wrote? you dont see them? you picked out 1 rhyme out like 20 you wrote down, how about the other 19? you wrote them down, go read it & say it out loud & tells me it rhymes. Go listen to any song he has ever made. and tell me its not the same word, simple or doesnt even rhyme.
eminem is far from the best lyricist. He is good, but Ice Cube, Biggie, GZA, Nas are way better & Rakim is on another planet.
Chris

Pittsburg, TX

#17 Feb 16, 2009
ubeillin wrote:
<quoted text>
I am not saying Andre 3000 or Method Man is better. simply I would rather listen to him than Andre. When it comes to southern rap, I just cant stand it. I never liked it from when I first heard Outkast to Master P to the present. Unless it is Scarface or Getto Boys. To tell you the truth, you know the only fairly modern MC to come out of the south that I actually dont think is all that bad is Ludacris. I know he does the ringtone & cheesy hook raps, but he can rap with emotion & has a great voice for hip-hop. If he bared down and forgot about what everyone else is doing & really concentrated on making a good rap album with a good old school type producer I wonder what it would be like? I think he has real potential.
Dre is brillant imo.But if you don't like him whatever it's your lose.
----------
Luda is ok I guess.After reading what you had to say about him but the song "MVP" right now.I'm serious!DJ Premier produces it.It's the only good song on his new album imo.
Chris

Pittsburg, TX

#18 Feb 16, 2009
RLL wrote:
And by tha way I think your insane 4 sayin' Big's The What and Prodigy's Shook Ones Pt. II verse are better than any Em verse. I kno how u feel about Em but seriously, can't u respect his lyrical talent at least a lil' bit man? How can u listen to songs such as Low Down Dirty, Scary Movies, Hellbound, Bad Meets Evil, Just Don't Give a F**k, No One's Iller, Trife Thieves etc. and not hear all those rhymes he does? I mean come on man, he's made really really bad music but no way can u say that stuff ain't lyrical. And no verse u named can touch Em's best. Ain't Hard to Tell is good, but no way it touches an Em verse. I mean honestly, count tha number of rhymes in that verse then go count tha rhymes in one of tha Em verses.
The verse in "Aint Hard to Tell" is not only better than any eminem verse ever it's twice as good as any eminem verse ever.
RLL

Anchorage, AK

#19 Feb 16, 2009
ubeillin wrote:
<quoted text>
what about the rest of those rhymes you wrote? you dont see them? you picked out 1 rhyme out like 20 you wrote down, how about the other 19? you wrote them down, go read it & say it out loud & tells me it rhymes. Go listen to any song he has ever made. and tell me its not the same word, simple or doesnt even rhyme.
eminem is far from the best lyricist. He is good, but Ice Cube, Biggie, GZA, Nas are way better & Rakim is on another planet.
I do kno wut ya mean by tha word not exactly rhymin' but it still sounds really good. And at tha same time he does do words that rhyme all tha time.
"leavin', recievin' evenin" (I would throw in breathin' but it don't exactly rhyme like u said."
"around, drowned, down"
"mile drive thru, pile drive u"
"power, hour"
"my house, eyebrows"
and an example of wut u said would be like eight corners and skate boarders, and I understand cuz corner and boarder don't rhyme, but I still think it's good if u hear it and it sounds like it rhymes. I'm just curious if u can give me an example of someone who raps a whole song and every rhyme is exact.
RLL

Anchorage, AK

#20 Feb 16, 2009
Chris wrote:
<quoted text>
The verse in "Aint Hard to Tell" is not only better than any eminem verse ever it's twice as good as any eminem verse ever.
haha, still think your crazy man but opinions are opinions and we all entitled to our own.
Chris

Pittsburg, TX

#21 Feb 16, 2009
RLL wrote:
<quoted text>
haha, still think your crazy man but opinions are opinions and we all entitled to our own.
Eminem's verses on fack are not only a disgrace to hip-hop but a disgrace to music in general.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hip-Hop Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
TOURNEY Round 1: Annoyin Artist vs Affidavit 1 hr annoyin artist 4
TOURNEY Round 1: Illmortal vs The Proverb 7 hr The Proverb 3
freestyle battle, spit it! (raps only) (Jan '07) 17 hr The Proverb 37,985
Hip Hop Lovers Meetups Aug 26 ayefreako 1
TOURNEY Round 1: Chi-Town vs Niatroh Aug 26 Niatroh 2
News Iggy Azalea dumped as Wiz Khalifa re-releases F... Aug 26 gffdgfh 1
News Darren L. Eastman Launches Universal Expansion ... Aug 25 gary 1
More from around the web