Talk to your sons about Miley Cyrus, Robin Thicke and "Blurred Lines" too

Aug 30, 2013 Full story: youngpeoplespavilion.com
There is a body of research that shows how viewing images of objectified women gives men “greater tolerance for sexual harassment and greater rape myth acceptance,” and helps them view women as “less competent” and “less human.”How do you talk to your tween/teen boys about older men using younger girls like sex objects? What are the implications and implicit messages around male performers being surrounded by barely-dressed female backup dancers? How would your boys answer this question: When so many of the female performers areso scantily clad, is that self expression of sexuality or the symptom of something more insidious?

Why were none of the men nearly naked?

Boys, how do you feel the representations of women at the MTV Video Music Awards affect your female friends and family members? What expectations does your family have around how their boys will treat girls and women?

Celebrating “blurred lines” has great potential to reinforce a culture that already trivializes the importance of consent. Full Story

“Absolutely”

Since: Feb 09

Spread around the west

#1 Aug 30, 2013

“Absolutely”

Since: Feb 09

Spread around the west

#2 Aug 30, 2013
This is an important discussion about morality.

“The Lyrical M.G”

Since: Sep 12

harlow essex

#3 Aug 30, 2013
Shut the hell up, the only reason you are doing this is because you are stuck up, I grew up in a SH!T place and always saw women treated as sex objects, but I am extremly polite to girls who are polite to me and I don't ever treat them as objects, the only reason your children will see women as objects is if they're stupid, teach your kids academically and you'll be fine

Since: Feb 13

Auckland, New Zealand

#4 Sep 2, 2013
This is stupid.'Blurred Lines' was NEVER about rape or anything like that. What we have here is political-correctness-gone-wil d as usual. Rick Ross made a song with a reference to spiking a girls champagne but, funnily enough, not that much (if any) attention was given. Robin Thicke already asserted that his song was in no way connected to rape or consent yet people refuse to let it go. What is this world coming to??
REDHEAD

United States

#5 Nov 24, 2013
The reason the men were clothed is because their thingys are not attractive to look at....just saying

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hip-Hop Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
freestyle battle, spit it! (raps only) (Jan '07) 17 hr IllMortal 36,656
Shini_ Bar Exam (Nov '13) Fri Shini 19
Hip hop is shit - youre dumb if you listen to it (May '13) Fri Shini 35
Illmortal Vs Shini (finals) Fri Shini 54
Mariah Carey to Tour Australia for First Time S... Fri jjjlllppp 2
Russell Simmons On public Enemy Sep 18 HipHopOfficial 1
A Group of University Students in Kyoto Want Ja... Sep 17 SHlTWORMKYOKODEBD... 4
•••
•••

Hip-Hop People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••