Macklemore wins Hip Hop Grammy, talks...

Macklemore wins Hip Hop Grammy, talks on white privilege

There are 155 comments on the Examiner.com story from Jan 29, 2014, titled Macklemore wins Hip Hop Grammy, talks on white privilege. In it, Examiner.com reports that:

The racial divide is a nasty concept that affects everything in life. Nothing is safe, especially not music.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Examiner.com.

“Sombrero Galaxy”

Since: Jan 10

I'm An Illegal Alien

#115 Feb 12, 2014
Black Facts wrote:
<quoted text>
TRUTH !
Hip Hop's been DEAD since 2000. Too much crooked White executives doggin' the Black rappers while the non talented White rappers shine like a mofo, like this Macklemore mofo.
That's why I NEVER like Eminem because IMHO, his skill level just borderline average but his record sales purchased by his own peoples and the worshipping by these coons in the industry made that milk toast famous. Eminem had said the WORST sh!t on earth about Black women but these sellouts bump his music like Mr. Challie's the greatest...smh. I would rather nod my head to some Paul Wall instead,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =fBCtlPtaoIgXX
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2ndn_paul-w...
Eminem is one of the three greatests rappers of all time. Eminem's style is great because it is unique, creative and humorous.
Paul Wall is garbage.

“Sombrero Galaxy”

I'm An Illegal Alien

#116 Feb 12, 2014
leilajoy wrote:
<quoted text> Stop acting like you care about bw, if he was racist why did Dre sign him, please him using the N word, don't black rappers allow Gwyneth Paltrow to say the word. Obviously Eminem was feeling some kind of way after getting rejected by some black girl he had feelings for back in hs. The difference between him and other bm who degrade bw in their raps is that Eminem actually apologized. The fact is Eminem didn't repeat it and make a career of denigrating bw, many bm rappers make a career of insulting bw in some kind of way.
Dr Dre did not kinow that Eminem made that record before he signed. Most rappers, Eminem included, have made sexist music, the difference is that Eminem specifically targeted bw for his rant and used the most racist remarks against them.

“Sombrero Galaxy”

I'm An Illegal Alien

#117 Feb 12, 2014
leilajoy wrote:
<quoted text> Stop acting like you care about bw, if he was racist why did Dre sign him, please him using the N word, don't black rappers allow Gwyneth Paltrow to say the word. Obviously Eminem was feeling some kind of way after getting rejected by some black girl he had feelings for back in hs. The difference between him and other bm who degrade bw in their raps is that Eminem actually apologized. The fact is Eminem didn't repeat it and make a career of denigrating bw, many bm rappers make a career of insulting bw in some kind of way.
All Gwyneth did was quote a song, why would people make such a big deal about that?

Since: Jul 13

Location hidden

#118 Feb 19, 2014
Rap is not music. It is the call of death. Rap continues to make slaves of Black people who are still reeling from the vestiges of physical slavery. One more major component of rap that I omitted in post #99 is that it promotes gross irresponsibility.

If you are in the forum or in the real world defending rap or playing it within the earshot of others(especially children), you are a champion of evil and a lost soul. There are plenty of you about as devils are legion. If you experience some pangs of anger after reading this, you are either a perpetrator or a willing victim.

If the two paragraphs above were not true, I would not have been sent here to give you their message.
Sexy haitian queen

Nassau, Bahamas

#119 Feb 21, 2014
leilajoy wrote:
I am happy he won

“Get use to the cold!”

Since: Jan 12

Location hidden

#120 Feb 23, 2014
emperorjohn wrote:
<quoted text>
Dr Dre did not kinow that Eminem made that record before he signed. Most rappers, Eminem included, have made sexist music, the difference is that Eminem specifically targeted bw for his rant and used the most racist remarks against them.
His whole music career has been hating on his mama and Kim his ex who are both white, just because he's not saying w hite bitch many feminist ww had an issue with his terms toward his baby mama. Eminem has been hating on all women for a while. If it was a bm hating on his baby mama some people would be saying he hates bw, yeah but Eminem hating on his baby mama means what. Dre still would have signed him. Anyway I don't care, all you bm crying because white boys you introduced into rap and gave them a pass are now overtaking bm not only just because they're white now (whiich was the sole reason b4) but because a lot of them now have the swag down and writing fresher material than many of the bm rappers these days. Not to mention how you let the ww in and never said ish when they were using slave lyrics and supported them over bw. Just got to lie in the bed you made. Eminem would have never made it without Dre's production team and being around all the black rappers.

“Get use to the cold!”

Since: Jan 12

Location hidden

#121 Feb 23, 2014
Without Dre's beats Eminem would have never made it at all. Macklemore living in these times can put rap lyrics over modern, alternative sounds, Macklemore is a self made rapper, they don't need bm's production team.

“I support Cystic Fibrosis.”

Location hidden

#122 Feb 23, 2014
He is right we need to stop giving white people a black card so easily.

You voted Eminem as best rapper of all time on bet. You blacks that did that need your asses kicked.

Rap will go the way of Rock n Roll if we are not careful.

“Repent and worship God”

Location hidden

#123 Feb 23, 2014
emperorjohn wrote:
<quoted text>Eminem is one of the three greatests rappers of all time. Eminem's style is great because it is unique, creative and humorous.
Paul Wall is garbage.
I agree that Eminem is one of the greatest of all time. Who are the other two you have?

Hip hop analysts voted him #1, however.

“Repent and worship God”

Location hidden

#124 Feb 23, 2014
leilajoy wrote:
<quoted text>His whole music career has been hating on his mama and Kim his ex who are both white, just because he's not saying w hite bitch many feminist ww had an issue with his terms toward his baby mama. Eminem has been hating on all women for a while. If it was a bm hating on his baby mama some people would be saying he hates bw, yeah but Eminem hating on his baby mama means what. Dre still would have signed him. Anyway I don't care, all you bm crying because white boys you introduced into rap and gave them a pass are now overtaking bm not only just because they're white now (whiich was the sole reason b4) but because a lot of them now have the swag down and writing fresher material than many of the bm rappers these days. Not to mention how you let the ww in and never said ish when they were using slave lyrics and supported them over bw. Just got to lie in the bed you made. Eminem would have never made it without Dre's production team and being around all the black rappers.
Eminem certainly respects and loves his daughter.

“Aye!!!!!”

Since: Apr 09

Dayton, Ohio

#125 Feb 23, 2014
Big Knob wrote:
Hip-Hop has been robbed, the music has been watered down, no message, just, sex n money & partying, I remember the days when it stood for something, with artist like slick rick, gang starr nwa, nas, pac, biggie, common, public enemy, money love, BDP, brand nubian, x-clan, queen latifa, mc lyte, the music & videos were slamming, now not only have they replaced bw in videos, but now theyre trying to replace young bm with a white image world wide, like rock n roll with elvis or disco with the bee gees, this music is popular world wide, so its a chance for white folks to glorify the image of wm off black music world wide, so these artist need to take back their image and music, its ours to share with the world, and not to promote the image of wht/guys off our culture......... Do it like the bros & sistas in the 80 & 90s did..........
I agree.

“Aye!!!!!”

Dayton, Ohio

#127 Feb 23, 2014
ITIMAMOBIWW wrote:
I can't see it terms of white privilege.
Arguing the merits of hip hop in terms of excellence is beyond absurd.
It's like passing off fast food as cuisine.
It only works if you've never tasted real food.
In terms of music, this is a pitched battle for last place.
It's like dueling midgets, arguing the merits of relative height.
At some point, the winner is just plain short - at best.
The greater social atrocity is not that a non-black won in a hip hop competition.
It's that the losers would dare to blame it on white privilege.
This is the height of racism.
Of course, for those that defined the genre, this is all a huge affront.
Whites are not supposed to produce product in these sacrosanct genres (hip hop, R & B, jazz, etc.)- much less be considered during an awards show... much less - the ultimate crime - win in the category of the awards show.
These genres were rigged to guarantee that blacks would win at something.
They were patronizing set asides.
They were intended to be - exclusive.
That is why the whites running the awards shows leveraged and allowed their creation.
It is ironic that artists native to the genre (created specifically for them) would loose out to another demograph.
But, it can't be blamed on white privilege.
It was white privilege that mandated the award category, with the intent of recognizing black artists.
For some one of improper skin tone to win the category, speaks volumes for the current products being delivered and sold.
Whatever is going on - it's not based on white privilege.
It's the market responding to crap.
You said "It is ironic that artists native to the genre (created specifically for them) would loose out to another demograph. But, it can't be blamed on white privilege. It was white privilege that mandated the award category, with the intent of recognizing black artists. For some one of improper skin tone to win the category, speaks volumes for the current products being delivered and sold. Whatever is going on - it's not based on white privilege."

White people are pulling the strings behind the scenes. Award shows like the vma's, mtv music awards, etc, are already planned out from the get go.

Are there trashy rap songs on the radio today? Yes. But this is all a plan.

There is no way that the 90's had good (rap) music, and then, all of a sudden, the 00's have weak music. It doesn't make sense. This is why I say that this was an intentional plan.

For example, 90's music artists have genes from people that were music artists in the 70's and even before. As of today's current music artists generation, their genes come from the 90's music artists. So, how can rap become so wack so easily so fast? Again, this was a plan.

Peep game.

“Aye!!!!!”

Dayton, Ohio

#128 Feb 23, 2014
That Backfired Ehh wrote:
BALLA!!!!
(aka Michele).
You grew your hair out!
You look like the Predator in Arnold's movies, dude!
Typical racist white response. When a white can't refute an intelligent comment made by an intelligent Black, this is what they resort to.
FuqEmAll

United States

#130 Feb 23, 2014
emperorjohn wrote:
<quoted text>Rap is the most complex form of music known to man. The ability to rhyme and apply the rhymes to some beat requires a lot of creativity.
Same old bitches, hoes and cars in every rap song, no instruments, simple beats. Classical music is complex. Any fool can come up with a rap song. Just look at lil b and chief keef. Retards.

Location hidden

#131 Feb 23, 2014
Iggy Azelea wrote:
He won and shouldn't have to apologize for it.Black men are hypocrites,they don't have a problem with white female rappers winning awards and taking the place of black women in hip hop.It only becomes a problem when its a white male.
I agree!

“Aye!!!!!”

Dayton, Ohio

#133 Feb 24, 2014
<quoted text>I wasn't replying to one of your comments, B....I usually don't even bother to read them,
because they're always full of racist bullcrap and ghetto stupidity.
I was just commenting on your new pic,
........the way you used to comment on mine when I had it up.
Don't remember you... what name u went by?

“Aye!!!!!”

Dayton, Ohio

#135 Feb 24, 2014
<quoted text>
Stick around,. dunce cap,....it'll all come rushing back to you.
Oh, wait, you're black.
Let me "level the playing field" for you
(by GIVING you the answer)
http://www.topix.com/forum/afam/TKOGC9AMJLL3B...
I'm much smarter than you think. I'm a straight A college student.

By the way, yeah, I remember ya. What kind of username you got now? Lol.

“Aye!!!!!”

Dayton, Ohio

#138 Feb 25, 2014
<quoted text>You said that 6 years ago, too.
Did you get left back or something?
Dummy, I said that I was a straight A high school student. NOW, I'm a straight A college student, which means I attend college.

Got it?

“All Because You Said It...”

Since: Feb 11

USA

#140 Feb 27, 2014
Mellow Prophet wrote:
So many(not all) here have been deceived and are now on automatic. Deceived by whom? The devil, who is no respecter of color, but will use color(nee race) to further his ultimate goal of separating men from God as he himself is. Rap(for the most part) is an effective instrument whereby the devil plants the seeds of negativity and continually cultivates them until those who imbibe are led to destruction. These seeds of negativity are(in part):
Greed
Adultery
Constant references to sex, freakiness, etc.
Lack of committment
Wasting time/Being a sluggard
Drug addiction as being positive
Being free(as in not wanting responsibility)
Making babies(like making a sandwich....same thing)
Getting something for nothing
Name calling
Blaming "Whitey"
Playing the race card
Going nowhere with nothing to do
Wasting money
Disdain for authority
The constant repetition of these messages are creating serious evil in the world. Many will deny it, but such is the nature of addition. Many have and will continue to put a positive spin on it calling it "keeping it real" and other pet phrases which makes satan happy and keeps the sheep "skinning and grinning".
Why do what seems like 99% of Black Women prefer the hair of others rather than themselves? Don't say because it's easier to manage because people will jump through some serious hoops if they feel it contributes to elevating their self esteem and from what I can see, the hair of the African isn't one of them. HOLD ON!!!
Some of what you stated was in fact true. One example I'd agree with you on is the fact that satan does use music and ideolism as a source to do evil by sending mixed and sinful messages for it's listeners or for it's followers to interpret. However did you know that when a musician or artist becomes successful he or she is literally signing his soul over to Satan. Even Gospel singers are not exempt from this. But understand that only "some" is the key word and not all. Gods artist are also in this mix you are generalizing unconvincingly. You really lost me when you went off into the childish rant about black women, hair and how it supposedly elevates their esteem when black women in the masses go to beauty salons by the boatload and usually don't come out with there hair styled down like a becky come on what world are you living in.
Jalian

London, UK

#141 Feb 27, 2014
Kendreya wrote:
The only reason he won that Grammy was because white people like him. I don't think he is all that or even half way there. That is the reason we have the BET Awards so that we don't have to just go with the flow and agree with the decisions of the majorly white opinionated music award shows. They try to control and run it now. Hip-hop is our culture. Many of the really great R & B , hip-hop, and rap artists that we like don't get awarded at those shows. Rihanna usually gets everything in the R & B category but there are many female R & B artists that sing better and in my opinion, have better music. When it comes to hip-hop you will never see Tupac or Nas win anything over a white rapper who can't even half way rap well or a black rapper who talks about how much he loves white girls and has a million of them in his videos. WHO CARES ABOUT THE GRAMMY'S
Fcuk the Grammys and Fcuk white people.

Do your own Grammys and run your own businesses. Simple.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hip-Hop Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Making a beat from scratch w/ guitar (New Video) 10 hr AdonaiTheProducer 1
freestyle battle, spit it! (raps only) (Jan '07) Sun Rap God 38,822
Making a trap beat from scratch (new video) Jan 15 AdonaiTheProducer 1
News Jay-Z 'files Jaybo trademark documents' Jan 15 Hostis Publicus 1
"Winner's Break" EP from Norfolk Rapper Jan 12 LCTheGoat 1
Watch me make a beat in my music studio (New Vi... Jan 10 AdonaiTheProducer 1
News There's a serious proposal to give babies born ... Jan 9 debts paid 1
More from around the web