Macklemore wins Hip Hop Grammy, talks...

Macklemore wins Hip Hop Grammy, talks on white privilege

There are 155 comments on the Examiner.com story from Jan 29, 2014, titled Macklemore wins Hip Hop Grammy, talks on white privilege. In it, Examiner.com reports that:

The racial divide is a nasty concept that affects everything in life. Nothing is safe, especially not music.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Examiner.com.

“Sombrero Galaxy”

Since: Jan 10

I'm An Illegal Alien

#42 Jan 30, 2014
Kendreya wrote:
The only reason he won that Grammy was because white people like him. I don't think he is all that or even half way there. That is the reason we have the BET Awards so that we don't have to just go with the flow and agree with the decisions of the majorly white opinionated music award shows. They try to control and run it now. Hip-hop is our culture. Many of the really great R & B , hip-hop, and rap artists that we like don't get awarded at those shows. Rihanna usually gets everything in the R & B category but there are many female R & B artists that sing better and in my opinion, have better music. When it comes to hip-hop you will never see Tupac or Nas win anything over a white rapper who can't even half way rap well or a black rapper who talks about how much he loves white girls and has a million of them in his videos. WHO CARES ABOUT THE GRAMMY'S
I don't really like their music, just doesn't get to me. However I find that duo to be better and more creative than most rappers today and I support their win.

“Sombrero Galaxy”

Since: Jan 10

I'm An Illegal Alien

#44 Jan 30, 2014
Spit-Fire wrote:
<quoted text>
BW do NOT dominate rap/hip hop. Our overall presence in this genre is non exsistent. Nicki Minaj had a good debut, she has not sold out stadiums or had a hit record in years. That is not domination.
RiRi and Beyonce are not dominating anything right now, both are living off of name recognition right now.
Not ONE Black person had a #1hit on the Billboard charts for the entire year of 2013. Not One.
That includes Kanye, Kendrick, Jay Z, RIRI or Beyonce.
White men- Robin, Justin, Macklemore, Slim Shady are ruling.
Iggy is right, it was all good while BW were disappearing, but they stupidly believed that it could not happen to them.
The music industry waited for the Grammys to make a mockery out of BM on a world stage and they are powerless to do anything to stop it.
They are reaping what they've sown.
Robin Thicke doesn't dominate anything. He struggled for years and only had hits with a featured artist.
Cyrus

Manassas, VA

#45 Jan 30, 2014
Lol @ some insinuating Macklemore's Grammy sweep is dictating the direction of Hip hop. Eminem has been sweeping Grammy awards ever since while Greats Nas, Biggy, 2pac got zero awards. The only that's has changed and will change is that a lot of modern and upcoming rappers just plain suck.
carmen

Columbus, OH

#46 Jan 30, 2014
emperorjohn wrote:
<quoted text>
Have Queens never been jealous of a peasant?
Was not Saul jealous of David?
Jealousy works both ways, up and down.
But the peasant shouldn't get carried away and believe that jealousy is the reason he/she is a peasant. That's delusional. The peasant shouldn't focus on the jealousy but instead focus on how not to be a peasant.

“No man is worth it”

Since: Jan 14

Huntington Station, NY

#47 Jan 30, 2014
What I am saying is that bw are the dominant forces in R&B and hip-hop, meaning there are no other races of women who take the lead in this genre. and that is not true. When Robin Thicke started out he was NOT popular among white people. and neither was Eminem, he wrote a song about it at the very beginning of his career!! JT was popular but he was more so among blacks. 1859
Genevieve11

Los Angeles, CA

#48 Jan 30, 2014
forget macklemore he ugly as hell, I'll RIDE eminem though 4 real.

Eminem

http://hqwallpapersplus.com/wp-content/upload...

Macklemore

http://www.gq.com/style/blogs/the-gq-eye/mack...

NO Fcking comparison lol

http://s1.ibtimes.com/sites/www.ibtimes.com/f...

Oh, and GO PAULA! You got one FINE @ss white boi right thur!

“No man is worth it”

Since: Jan 14

Huntington Station, NY

#49 Jan 30, 2014
that 1859 is a typo oops!
Big Knob

United States

#50 Jan 30, 2014
Robin Thicke, thats funny, hes being sued by marvin gaye's family for copy write issues, timberland produces justin timberlake, in fact most "boy bands" were carbon copies of boys to men in the 90s, but in the 1980s a ww Teena Marie did out pace bw r&b singers & groups, especially her duets with rick james, & I dont think that she ever won a grammy, this is much to do about nothing..........and there was jealousy of her.
Godbody

Jonesboro, GA

#51 Jan 30, 2014
The word "hip hop" for most of us down south sound like some 1980 beat box sht.Some of yall sound like some old grumpy mofos. Everything evolves. Times change.We saw rap shine in the east(80s),then west coast(90s gangsta rap),now the south is where its at. You even hear Jay z use southern(ATL) slang like "turn up" in that drunk song with Beyonce

Zombie Corpse Rental

San Jose, CA

#52 Jan 30, 2014
Aziya Shines wrote:
This what I mean by whites degrading everything blks do so blks will be more willing to give it to them. Again, it's basic psychology
Degrade rao music, call it garbage now they control It and make billions off of it.
Another black invention stolen by whites, like the electric pyramid warmer and the coffee inflator.
Spit-Fire

Atlanta, GA

#53 Jan 30, 2014
emperorjohn wrote:
<quoted text>
Robin Thicke doesn't dominate anything. He struggled for years and only had hits with a featured artist.
Robin Thicke is the only WM that has struggled to break into mainstream.
His songs have always had regular rotation on Black R&B stations.
This the commercial success of Blurred Lines, his tour will sell out much larger venues without any problems.
Justin and Robin took turns dominating the R&B charts for the entire year. Not one BM topped them.
That is musical domination with both Black and White support.
Spit-Fire

Atlanta, GA

#54 Jan 30, 2014
Justin Timberlake started out in a boy band. Stop acting like more Black people were fans of Nsync than Blacks. You are reaching outside of reality to make a point that holds no water.
I was born and raised in Detroit. I was living in my hometown while Eminem was just getting started.
Whites were driving into the ghettos to hear him perform in spades.
Neither him nor Justin NEEDED Blacks to buy their music, we were just a bonus and gave them the
Black stamp of approval.
You're right, no race of women has come close to removing them in R&B, but Black rappers DID try to replace them in hip hop.
Do we really need to go down the lust of BM rappers, who were signing or either promoting WW as the next big thing?
Come on now, BM played themselves.
Spit-Fire

Atlanta, GA

#55 Jan 30, 2014
*fans of his band more than Whites.
🙈

Mckeesport, PA

#56 Jan 30, 2014
What really is Hip-Hop or Rap anymore?
Spit-Fire

Atlanta, GA

#57 Jan 30, 2014
*list....sorry for the typos.
The Truth

Morrow, GA

#58 Jan 30, 2014
MDJ2011 wrote:
<quoted text>
This is true.
I concur
michele

Houston, TX

#59 Jan 30, 2014
Kendreya wrote:
The only reason he won that Grammy was because white people like him. I don't think he is all that or even half way there. That is the reason we have the BET Awards so that we don't have to just go with the flow and agree with the decisions of the majorly white opinionated music award shows. They try to control and run it now. Hip-hop is our culture. Many of the really great R & B , hip-hop, and rap artists that we like don't get awarded at those shows. Rihanna usually gets everything in the R & B category but there are many female R & B artists that sing better and in my opinion, have better music. When it comes to hip-hop you will never see Tupac or Nas win anything over a white rapper who can't even half way rap well or a black rapper who talks about how much he loves white girls and has a million of them in his videos. WHO CARES ABOUT THE GRAMMY'S
You are 100% right.
michele

Houston, TX

#60 Jan 30, 2014
These pigskins degrade black peoples creativity then COPY EVERYTHING they degrade about black people.

Black people need to stop allowing these jealous pig people to mimic us.

That inbred looked so damn stupid on the grammys. These inbreds resemble BAFFONS trying to act like us. Then they get rewarded as BETTER AT BEING us.

They are GOOFY pigskins. They need to be who they are and stop trying to be COOL like us cause they look like RETARDS.
uppercut

Suisun City, CA

#61 Jan 30, 2014
Genevieve11 wrote:
forget macklemore he ugly as hell, I'll RIDE eminem though 4 real.
Eminem
http://hqwallpapersplus.com/wp-content/upload...
Macklemore
http://www.gq.com/style/blogs/the-gq-eye/mack...
NO Fcking comparison lol
http://s1.ibtimes.com/sites/www.ibtimes.com/f...
Oh, and GO PAULA! You got one FINE @ss white boi right thur!
You black women all just want our sexy, white, male bodies. Dont lie.
Rambeaux

Malvern, PA

#62 Jan 30, 2014
Don't care for hip-hop no matter what color the singer(s) is(are). As far as rap, it is simply talking fast in cadence and rhymes.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hip-Hop Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
freestyle battle, spit it! (raps only) (Jan '07) 9 hr DARKxBLACK 38,670
News Kanye West not asked to perform at 'traditional... 9 hr USA Today 1
News Radiohead, Beyonce, Kendrick Lamar to Headline ... 10 hr insanity becomes me 3
News The Latest: Trump calls Election Day 'our Indep... Fri CZars_R_US 359
Traim beat Jan 18 Traim 1
News Watch Rae Sremmurd Deliver France's Weather For... Jan 18 No Thanks 3
News Celebrity birthdays for April 21 (Apr '11) Jan 16 tony briar mitchell 2
More from around the web