What is the heavy metal ideology?

What is the heavy metal ideology?

Posted in the Heavy-Metal Forum

Reiserkeiser

Nacogdoches, TX

#1 Oct 13, 2008
Hey guys I'm doing an ethnography for my english and I decided to do the heavy metal subculture. I would like to know, from your standpoints, what is the heavy metal ideology, in other words, I would like to know: what is "metal" and what is not "poser"
Vin

United States

#2 Oct 16, 2008
Well, i won't / can't give you a "Fan" perspective on this, cause as a cross-genre guitarist of about 25 years, i spent more time on the actual music than imagery and lyrics and "visuals" of metal. My musical "take" on this is that since i've spanned a few decades of the metal genre, and considering that metal has branched out into different sub-genres, i'm aware of one common thread that runs through most metal forms. First - it has to be big. The sound , production, the live show. Everything has to have that "Larger than Life" feel. i could use the word "Extreme", but today that conjures up a genre that in my opinion may not be so... Anyway, Big stacks of amps in a "wall" fashion, a huge double bass drum kit, Power vocals (again, MY definition, not what is popular..), Btw- i define "Poser" as any band who claims to be "Metal" (perhaps on their myspace page?) simply cause their mom bought them a distortion pedal to hook up to a small amp, and they routinely have a "Punch out" card from Hot Topic. Here's some metal history for you by way of the guys in Judas Priest....who hold the title of "Metal Gods". As a young school lad, singer Rob Halford used to walk home from school past an actual metal factory / foundary, and would recall seeing the huge vats of molten metal being poured into molds, and hearing the huge sound of the metal stamps, pounding out various blocks of metal. He said it was a very loud sounding and earth shaking noise , and he always had in mind to create a music that would match that, and this was way before Black Sabbath was credited, and before any Steppenwolf song was written.....
chahn

Columbus, OH

#3 Oct 30, 2008
metal is a way of life. its being able to say 'F@#* you' to anyone who needs it. being able to say what you want, what everybody else is afraid of saying. not to mention being familiar with the fine art of moshing. ;) \m/ rock on
Perrito

Bogotá, Colombia

#4 Mar 30, 2009
el heavy metal es interesante ! amo a Iron Maiden !
CLEVER SLEAZOID

United States

#5 Apr 8, 2009
chahn wrote:
metal is a way of life. its being able to say 'F@#* you' to anyone who needs it. being able to say what you want, what everybody else is afraid of saying. not to mention being familiar with the fine art of moshing. ;)\m/ rock on
Well Said
brad

UK

#7 Jul 3, 2012
I think metal music is more than just a genre. I almost see it as a force to identify with. A lot of metal deals with what people would deem as negative emotions/ideals excluding christian metal, power metal and some metalcore. I feel people are able to relate to metal on there own personal level, in this way bringing a sort of "release". A lot of metal singers sing their "demons" out, its this release of inner-demons whether its anger, depression or whatever, is what the individual listener can relate to. The music reflects these emotions, so it will come across as dark or aggresive not to mention freaken awesome. Life isn't all flowers and metal is the music that reflects this idea. METAL IS NOT FLOWERS. And it is important that a genre in its "pure/unadulterated" form cause yes there is "poser-metal" is able to do this.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Heavy-Metal Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Throw the book at him! Fugitive murderer found ... (Dec '15) Dec '15 Ritual Habitual 1
News Motorhead frontman 'Lemmy' dies - band's Facebo... (Dec '15) Dec '15 Troll Scum 1
News Lemmy Celebrates 70th With Rock Star Pals In Lo... (Dec '15) Dec '15 Troll Scum 1
News Mercury, Halford on Maxim Russia's 'Cool and Ga... (Dec '15) Dec '15 Belles Echoes 2
News Motorhead drummer Phil Taylor dies (Nov '15) Nov '15 MEhrmantraut 1
News Iron Maiden star blames oral sex for his cancer (Sep '15) Sep '15 Mr Beans Turkey - UK 19
News Iron Maiden singer has tongue cancer, band says (Feb '15) Jul '15 laintern 2
More from around the web