Tribal leaders seek presidential apology

May 12, 2011 Full story: Native American Times

NATIONAL ARCHIVES IMAGE ARC ID # 530880 Geronimo , a Chiricahua Apache; full-length, kneeling with rifle.

Full Story
W Somerville

White Lake, MI

#1 Aug 30, 2011
While I don't see the picture here, I have a poster of Geronimo kneeling and holding a rifle. He's wearing a scarf in the picture. I had the same picture of Geronimo when I was in the U.S. Army.
My opinion is Geronimo is the greatest American hero ever. I've enjoyed reading about the Chiricahua, Chokonen & other Apache groups. My view is the Apache won many battles by their superior intelligence.
While I could not read books like Bury My Heart At Wounded Knee, I can enjoy reading about Apache living and struggles. While in the military, I was lucky enough to spend some time in Arizona, and felt very comfortable there.
While the most educated person in my family with two degrees and three certifications, I only speak English. N. Cochise, the grandson of Cochise, could speak Apache, English, Spanish and many dialects. He wrote a book in English and learned to fly an airplane. I admire all those Apaches that have been written about, even those who were not written about. All contributed.
W Somerville

White Lake, MI

#2 Aug 30, 2011
Now I see what the problem is, and I fully agree with the Apache position. The names of Geronimo's enemies might be suitable names for military operations today. Traditional Apache names should be held in higher regard and honored in some way.
Chiefsalad

Edmond, OK

#3 Aug 31, 2011
The title "greatest American Hero Ever" is pretty big, I personally would reserve that for, uhh, I dunno someone like President Lincoln? I mean, he did free 2,678,577 million slaves, but maybe Geronimo did something more significant that that? A couple things I do know is that he ̶n̶e&#82 2;v̶e̶r& #822; gave up, and his name does mean "one who yawns"
Injun Wizard

Shawnee, OK

#4 Jul 15, 2012
Geronimo is still held in high esteem by many American Indian tribes and even some non-Indians. Remember, Somerville states that it is in his opinion that Geronimo is the greatest American hero ever. When we present things as our opinion they are based on personal values and in a personal context. History presents us with many people who could be called a "greatest American hero," but we can make our own choice based on our personal "experience" and knowledge. Most people will respect other people's choices. That is, most rational-thinking people will do so. Some people may choose Honest Abe as the great American hero, and others may choose Dr. Jonas Salk. Geronimo, I think, is a fitting choice.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hardcore Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Capsize releasing an LP on Equal Vision Aug '14 Gloria Hanson 1
India election: Taking the voters' pulse at tea... (May '14) May '14 rahulmarriedbutlo... 2
Radiation problem apology demanded (Mar '14) Mar '14 SpaceBlues 1
New Mexico proposes sale of Fort Bayard, nation... (Feb '14) Feb '14 The rest of the s... 14
Do you US Military may have used HAARP against ... (Nov '13) Nov '13 Quincy Timberlake 2
Australians may regret dumping Kevin Rudd (Nov '13) Nov '13 Quincy Timberlake 1
Is Rand Paul The Next Generation-Defining Senat... (Oct '13) Oct '13 imaginaryfriend 2

Hardcore People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE