Local nuns being investigated

Local nuns being investigated

There are 58 comments on the WHEC-TV Rochester, NY story from Jul 3, 2009, titled Local nuns being investigated. In it, WHEC-TV Rochester, NY reports that:

They are teachers, social workers, nurses and women of God. But now the Sisters of Mercy and the Sisters of Saint Joseph are being questioned by the Vatican.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WHEC-TV Rochester, NY.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Eliza10

Rochester, NY

#41 Jul 4, 2009
Steve Ray reported on this here (scroll down to third story): http://blog.catholic-convert.com/

He says, "I know many wonderful nuns and religious orders ...But there are others that scare the “you know what” out of me."

In the above linked story he includes a magazine cover picture of probably the kind of nuns who are in question, here: http://blog.catholic-convert.com/wp-content/u... He says, "I can spot these nuns a mile away" and I know JUST what he means!
billl

Johnsonville, SC

#42 Jul 5, 2009
Eliza10 wrote:
<quoted text>
Bill, when I was an Evangelical Protestant I believed all these things, too. But you have to check your sources. Asking a Protestant (means: "protesting Catholic") what is Catholic is like asking a Muslim to teach you why the Jewish faith is true.
I loved being a simple Bible-alone Christian and I loved my church, and I had NO desire to be Catholic. But then I read the story of Scott Hahn, a Presbyterian minister who gave up his great career to become Catholic. And then I found The Journey Home program on EWTN TV, where every Monday another converting Protestant minister is featured - this conversion always has a cost.(the program can be listened to online too.) So I began to learn real answers to longheld misconceptions such as yours, and eventually I became a "Tiber-jumper" too.
I won't correct you because there are real answers to all of this (the "pagan custom" myth, the "Constantine-started-the- Church" myth, whats true about Galileo and the Church, why Christians since the first century spilled their blood specifically refusing to deny those same "silly rituals" you speak of) on the Coming Home Network, This Rock Magazine (read online free), Catholic.com , EWTN.com , Steve Ray's blog, Dave Armstrong's website, and tons of other places, if you want to know the truth on all that. The truth is much more amazing than the fiction.
The Catholic Church was founded by Jesus so it is over 2000 years old. Peter was the first Pope and we have the unbroken history of every Pope since. They have a chart of that unbroken chain of Popes at Popechart.com !
Both my daughter and I attend Catholic Colleges and were taught by Catholic Scholars. The Church's Canon law is filled with double talk. You have intellectualized a need in you that doesn't allow you to see the forest for the trees. Just follow Christ's TWO and only TWO commandments and life makes sense. Oh, some of those Popes made Hitler look like an amateur of evil.
Chris

Rochester, NY

#43 Jul 5, 2009
Eliza10, thank you for your clear, concise, patient, non-insulting replies to some of the anti-catholic or uninformed catholic posts on this forum. You are a breath of fresh air!
zzz

Rochester, NY

#44 Jul 5, 2009
The Roman Catholic Church has no one to blame for its downfall but itself. Goodbye!
blerg

Geneva, NY

#45 Jul 5, 2009
The main problem with the Catholic church is that they are WAY too caught up in enforcing "rules" instead of teaching principles, hence this witch hunt with the nuns. There is FREEDOM in Christ, not hopeless bondage to meaningless rules and fancy rituals no matter how well intended.
MWM

Syracuse, NY

#46 Jul 5, 2009
I'm married to a nun!

None in the morning...
None in the afternoon...
None at night...
None on the weekends...
Sue In Wayne County

Ontario, NY

#47 Jul 5, 2009
Ray wrote:
It's about time. I hope the Vatican will shut down these local nuns. Instead of serving the poor and visiting the sick, these nuns try and act like priests, are taking over parishes, are giving the homily, and are being jerks to their parishioners. Good riddance. Let the investigations begin!
If the "crime" these nuns have committed is "giving the homily," I beg to point out that that is no crime at all. The Church has its head in the sand by limiting females from the priesthood.(Reason #4984 why I am a recovering Catholic).
Sue In Wayne County

Ontario, NY

#48 Jul 5, 2009
billl wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh, some of those Popes made Hitler look like an amateur of evil.
and some of them had kids.

not to mention a centuries-long campaign to stifle the advance of knowledge. A blatant example is Galileo, who was tried for heresy because his Copernicus theory of the earth conflicted with teachings of the bible.
4THs Mama

Akron, NY

#49 Jul 5, 2009
Celebacy was decreed by a Pope not by Christ. The Canon is so full of hypocrasy that Martin Luther called them out on it.

Have a look at a Luther's catechism and you'll see many questions that are asked and documented where in the Bible the answers come from. I went to an RCIA class (so that I could marry my husband in a Catholic Church) and asked the priest where the biblical basis is for some of their teachings... I was told that he would answer my questions after class, only to be told I must solely depend on faith and not question the church or to please not come back because I was causing conflict. I ended up telling my husband that we would not get married there if the class was a requirement.

On the flip side, when my husband went to an introduction class for the church when we moved out of state, the Protestant Pastor stated that we are all Catholic as the term is used to refer to the entire body of believers in Jesus Christ across the world, and across the ages. Many protestant Christians hold that their churches are catholic in the sense that they are in continuity with the original catholic (universal) church founded by the apostles. After all Martin Luther still believed he was Catholic till the day he died and used the term in his teachings and prayers. Because of this explaination, my husband now finds it easier to attend any Christian service despite being labeled a Catholic.
Straight Shooter

Fairport, NY

#50 Jul 5, 2009
[QUOTE who="Eliza10 Even Jesus had twelve disciples and one was a total failure: a proud, lustful, argumentative hypocrite who lied, stole and committed the greatest act of betrayal of any man who ever lived - even though living, learning and working alongside the Perfect Master who loved him perfectly, knew him perfectly, and taught him perfectly.[/QUOTE]

YOu referring to Judas? He HAD to do what he did or Jesus would not have been captured, tried, crucified, then resurrected to save you from your sins. It was all part of the preordained plan. Predestination and determined fate.
Jesus KNEW ahead of time what Judas had to do and he told him to go and do it.
The Man

United States

#51 Jul 5, 2009
We don't care about your nuns.
Why don't you close more empty churches?
Eliza10

Rochester, NY

#52 Jul 6, 2009
Straight Shooter wrote:
YOu referring to Judas? He HAD to do what he did or Jesus would not have been captured, tried, crucified, then resurrected to save you from your sins. It was all part of the preordained plan. Predestination and determined fate.
Jesus KNEW ahead of time what Judas had to do and he told him to go and do it.
Yes, It must be true that Jesus knew ahead of time what Judas would do. I think He would have nonetheless loved and taught Him perfectly because anything else of Jesus would have made Him not perfectly holy.

He cannot have told or aided Judas in doing it. God wants only good. He NEVER wills anyone to sin. Jesus, who did the will of His Father perfectly, didn't want anyone to sin.

When Judas meets God as Judge, he will not be saying "Jesus made me do it".

It was Judas' will, not Jesus, that made him do it. If it wasn't Judas, it would have been someone else's will to sin. It was only most horrible with Judas, whom Jesus loved the hardest - like unto a lost sheep.
Eliza10

Rochester, NY

#53 Jul 6, 2009
billl wrote:
<quoted text>
Both my daughter and I attend Catholic Colleges and were taught by Catholic Scholars. The Church's Canon law is filled with double talk. You have intellectualized a need in you that doesn't allow you to see the forest for the trees. Just follow Christ's TWO and only TWO commandments and life makes sense. Oh, some of those Popes made Hitler look like an amateur of evil.
The Vatican has just begun the process of making Catholic colleges and universities accountable to be actually Catholic. This is in response to longterm serious problems with fidelity. Its unlikely you were exposed to a Catholic education at a Catholic college, even if (or especially if) taught by "Catholic" scholars.(They have the same problems as the nuns beiing investigated).

The Church does respond to needs to change, but its slow, like steering a giant ship. But Her doctrine never changes and never will. She has great enemies, and some of the greatest are within.

I haven't heard about any Popes as bad as Hitler, but I know there have been bad Popes, leading sinful lives publically, including fathering children as was mentioned here.

No one claims Popes as individuals are infallible. But through the Holy Spirit and the will of God, the Pope will always rule infallibly on matters of faith and morals. Its amazing to see the hand of God when bad popes attempt to teach bad doctrine - sometimes they have a vision and repent and change their mind, sometimes take ill and then don't make the change they'd proposed. But no wrong doctrine on faith and morals has ever been taught by a bad pope.

No bad popes lately! I guess in this evil age God thinks we need all the help we can get!
Eliza10

Rochester, NY

#54 Jul 6, 2009
Chris wrote:
Eliza10, thank you for your clear, concise, patient, non-insulting replies to some of the anti-catholic or uninformed catholic posts on this forum. You are a breath of fresh air!

Thanks Chris! Its easy to be patient when I thought all these things once too! I thought I was just Bible-alone Christian, but the fact is I was a thoughly indoctrinated Protestant ("Protesting Catholic")- and it takes time to learn that everything you thought Catholic meant isn't true.

[I don't know why it says I am from Niagara Falls here. I am from Rochester.}
Eliza10

Rochester, NY

#55 Jul 6, 2009
Sue In Wayne County wrote:
<quoted text>
If the "crime" these nuns have committed is "giving the homily," I beg to point out that that is no crime at all. The Church has its head in the sand by limiting females from the priesthood....
The homilies are to be given by the Priest only, and on the scripture of the day. The Church has a reason for the male preisthood and its not going to change ever. Jewish Rabbi's also were always male - even during times thoughout history when their contemporary religions commonly had woman priests.

The Cathoic Priesthood is not just a role, it is an icon. They stand in for Christ at the Mass. The Church is the Bride of Christ. Since the priest is already married to the Bride of Christ, wouldn't that be polygamy?

You (and also "4THs Mom") might be interested in this link, http://www.ewtn.com/library/PRIESTS/ZWOMORD.H...

(Here a former Lutheren pastor defends the male priesthood.)
Patricia Darling

Ontario, NY

#56 Jul 6, 2009
My dear Lord-the good nuns are more spiritual and Christlike that any people God has put on this earth. They live Jesus'word and His teachings in their daily lives and missions. I think some of the Priests could take a lesson from them-and maybe some of the folks at the Vatican, too.

Since: Sep 08

Rochester, NY

#57 Jul 6, 2009
When Pope Ratzinger picks on the NUNS, he went over the top. He's dead meat!
couse

Batavia, NY

#58 Jul 12, 2009
billl wrote:
<quoted text>
The Catholic Church has been around almost 2000 years, the first Christian religion. Catholic means Universal, however with the conversion of Rome many pagan customs and ideas were Christianized to accommodate. The Church is always 300 or 400 years behind the times. A lot of its teachings are base on old customs rather then Christ teaching. In '90 Galileo was finally removed from the heretics list. I guess until that time we were obliged to believe that the sun revolved around the earth. Silly rituals may make some people feel comfortable, but they have nothing to do with the core of Christianity.
behind the times ahead of the times its the catholic church. if you like it or not. no one is forcing anyone to be catholic. if you want to be a christian go ahead. lead a good life. it doesnt mean your catholic and no one is saying you have to be. being catholic requires sacrifice. if you do not want to make these sacra fices then dont be a catholic. dont try to change a religion that has been around for so long because you feel its right or wrong. please you cant

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gothic Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Lunysworld.com Oct '17 Luny 1
These bands are the definition of true goth Aug '17 I rule you suck 1
These bands are the definition of true Aug '17 I rule you suck 1
Learn what true goth is,posers! Aug '17 I rule you suck 1
Pathetic. Depressed. Lonely. (Jun '17) Jul '17 Lieutenant Tuvoc 3
gothic clothing (Jun '17) Jun '17 Andymolly 1
Being Gothic (Mar '15) May '17 Terrance 177
More from around the web