Local nuns being investigated

Local nuns being investigated

There are 58 comments on the WHEC-TV Rochester, NY story from Jul 3, 2009, titled Local nuns being investigated. In it, WHEC-TV Rochester, NY reports that:

They are teachers, social workers, nurses and women of God. But now the Sisters of Mercy and the Sisters of Saint Joseph are being questioned by the Vatican.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WHEC-TV Rochester, NY.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
moi

United States

#1 Jul 3, 2009
"...investigating nuns"

Are they anything like "flying nuns"?
Are you kidding me

North Chili, NY

#2 Jul 3, 2009
This is ridiculous!! It is just one more confirmation that I made the right decision when I left the Catholic Church. So it’s the women causing the problems with the Catholic Church eh? Those nuns are so rebellious…..get real.
Straight Shooter

Fairport, NY

#3 Jul 3, 2009
What have those evil Penguins done now?
I bet Sister Mary Joseph of the Bleeding Knees did something.
About Time

Newark, NY

#4 Jul 3, 2009
It's about time these investigations were in place. I have a firm belief that those valuable vows have gone by the wayside. They need to check all organizations run by these orders and make sure their employees are being treated fairly as well.
RPDsuks

Rochester, NY

#5 Jul 3, 2009
Maybe when these "Investigator Nuns, could help the RPD investigate some cold cases while their in town??
Whenry

Rochester, NY

#6 Jul 3, 2009
Holy cow! I could finally hook up with a virgin at my age!
timmy

Rochester, NY

#7 Jul 3, 2009
This is a stupid story. It really doesn't say much about what the investigation consists of. Probably something to do with their outdated celibacy policy. Thats the policy that says its ok for the priests and nuns to drink as much booze as they want. Just don't show interest in the opposite sex. I have been in rectories that look more like frat houses. You should see the booze stash in some of these places.
joe

Webster, NY

#8 Jul 3, 2009
I went ST Francis Xavier in the late 40s and 50s
I thought all the NUNS where EX. SS TROOPPERS FOR HITLER
JMcGraw

Denison, TX

#9 Jul 3, 2009
As a grad. of Mercy High School. I have never seen anything to suggest that The Sister's of Mercy are not devout in any way shape or form. The Vatican should be ashamed of this witch hunt.
Eliza10

Rochester, NY

#10 Jul 3, 2009
"...you don't want to alienate the female religious who are contributing so much to an increasingly female institution..”-Tim Thibodeau

This comment reminds me of a priest's answer to a recent question of EWTN radio. This priest was asked if it was okay for non-practicing homosexual men to be priests. I think he said it was not allowed. I am sure he said it should not happen.

This priest said that one of the problems in parish leadership today is that for some years since Vatican II, such priests were not barred from priesthood. Part of the fallout of this is problems in parish leadership -- priests who lack true masculine presence.

He said this not only discourages normal males from being involved in the church, but also, his observation is that these priests, in a behavior related to their sexual identity disorder, are afraid to stand up to the women who want to run the parish. They stand back afraid to do anything, and let have their way running the show.

We all, painfully, know women like this - nuns included - in our Diocese. You know: the ones clearly not responding to a call to serve, but who are instead marked by their obvious personal desire for power. And, painfully, we know priests of our Diocese who stand back and let them.

So I say to Professor Thibodeau that no real man should be afraid of offending these women. A real man should be able to speak the truth to any man or women, however much the truth is unwelcome (as it so often is). I hope and pray these Vatican officials represent what is truly Catholic, and that is to speak the truth, no matter how unpopular, no matter the cost.

Father Antinarelli, a manly priest of our diocese who is not afraid to speak the truth to anyone, reminded us recently that the brilliant red robes of the Cardinals and Bishiops is not intended for their glory but to represent the blood of the martyrs who died for the truth.
Don Keefhardt

Naples, NY

#11 Jul 3, 2009
Ummm....Berkeley....

You've completely missed the point of the original story. Are you just clueless ?
Your lede sucks, since it implies "scandal"...the only thing "investigate" is missing is the scare quotes.
Are there any real journalists working in that Nooz Room ?
Straight Shooter

Fairport, NY

#12 Jul 3, 2009
If Berkely Bream is behind this story, then you know it's one of those ambush journalism puff pieces
Sue In Wayne County

Ontario, NY

#13 Jul 3, 2009
Are you kidding me wrote:
This is ridiculous!! It is just one more confirmation that I made the right decision when I left the Catholic Church. So it’s the women causing the problems with the Catholic Church eh? Those nuns are so rebellious…..get real.
As a recovering Catholic, I think that if the pope wants to investigate something, how about all those priests who have been arrested for abusing little alter boys?

Or maybe he should just keep quiet before someone investigates his Nazi past.
Straight Shooter

Fairport, NY

#14 Jul 3, 2009
Pope John Paul 2 worked as a teen during WW2 in a factory in Poland that made the Cyklon B that was used to gas the Jews

I am a reformed Catholic, meaning I no longer go to church or believe. One good thing about a Catholic Education, they made me so smart I was able to see thru organized religion for the sham it is.
cblue

Rochester, NY

#15 Jul 3, 2009
Straight Shooter wrote:
Pope John Paul 2 worked as a teen during WW2 in a factory in Poland that made the Cyklon B that was used to gas the Jews
I am a reformed Catholic, meaning I no longer go to church or believe. One good thing about a Catholic Education, they made me so smart I was able to see thru organized religion for the sham it is.
Ha! Ha! I do agree with you here. I still support the Church but the schools not so much. There biggest problems with the nuns is when I went to catholic schools is that they were very old and incoherent.
The Man

United States

#16 Jul 3, 2009
ummm Berkeley...
Try reading this story..
Please make the necessary corrections...
if you can..
this story as written is pitiful.
Don't you folks have ANY proofreaders????
The Man

United States

#17 Jul 3, 2009
I love how the Catholics can live by one standard and dictate by another standard...
Hypocrits..
Try deciding on what you believe.
murdybirdies

United States

#18 Jul 3, 2009
Wow you sure can tell which of these posters went to Catholic School. No spelling or grammar errors. I am grateful for the education I received from the School Sisters of Notre Dame (8 years) and also from the Sisters of Saint Joseph (4 years) and the Sisters of Mercy (1 year).
Was unable to continue in Catholic Church when I fell in love with a divorced Protestant and unable to marry in the church. We were married in the Episcopal Church also known as "Catholic-lite" and I've never been happier or more filled with the Holy Spirit. Thank you Jesus for showing me the way.
DizzyG

Honeoye Falls, NY

#19 Jul 3, 2009
Whenry wrote:
Holy cow! I could finally hook up with a virgin at my age!
VIRGINS?? HA!! Don't kid yourself, they get more than you and I put together!
thinking is bad

Rochester, NY

#20 Jul 3, 2009
I believe that these nuns are very involved in the local communtiy, taking care of the poor, the unwanted, those that live on the edge. YOU know stuff that Jesus would do, the Vatican may want them instead to chase down Harry Potter books, and look for gay folks.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gothic Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
New Canadian Goth Clothing Store Dec '17 Strange Things Em... 1
gothic clothing (Jun '17) Dec '17 Strange Things Em... 2
Lunysworld.com Oct '17 Luny 1
These bands are the definition of true goth (Aug '17) Aug '17 I rule you suck 1
These bands are the definition of true (Aug '17) Aug '17 I rule you suck 1
Learn what true goth is,posers! (Aug '17) Aug '17 I rule you suck 1
Pathetic. Depressed. Lonely. (Jun '17) Jul '17 Lieutenant Tuvoc 3