Gothic culture
Diana and Fieke

Hoofddorp, Netherlands

#1 Nov 11, 2012
Hi everyone,
for school we are working on a project about gothics. We would like to know a couple of things:

1. How did you became a gothic?
2. What does it mean to you to be a gothic?
3. Do you notice any difference between you and the society?
4. Do gothics have their own language/words?
5. How can you recognise a gothic?
6. What does a normal day look like?
7. Do you feel like people judge you (because of your appearance and lifestyle)?
8. Is there anything else that you think we need to know?

We would be really happy if you could answer these questions for us

Diana and Fieke
ELDERGOTH

Bethesda, MD

#2 Jan 11, 2013
I have always been a bit gothic. When my friends were into the Motown sound of the 60s and 70s, I was into heavy metal, When they were talking parties, I was talking horror or death. Black has always been my color even when I was only 6 years old. I was always considered different.
I now have a name for what I am and can embrace my lifestyle with a little more pride than be just an outcast.
See No. 1. I had friends who just didn’t get me. I was a black girl who didn’t like James Brown or the Temptations like them, I was into Morrison, Hendrix and Grand Funk. Everybody knew my favorite holiday was halloweeen
Not really. There are elder goths like myself who embrace the Victorian goth culture and then there are the younger emos and the hangers on who think goth is only a fashion statement. The little grandma sitting on the porch just might be a vampiric goth
You can’t. Not unless you see them in their full attire. I go to work in nice little ordinary clothing but when I get my freak on I am in full goth attire from head to toe
Usually me looking online for other goths like me who like to gather. In my area, there are precious few goth clubs that would even allow the type of attire we wear so we usually go in groups. Horror movies, gatherings, enjoying a wonderful dark rainy day is my kind of action.
7. Do you feel like people judge you (because of your appearance and lifestyle)?
All the time. Even though I keep at most normal when I work, everyone there knows I’m goth. Some just swears I’m into Satan or Vampires (well I AM into vampires) and cannot get past all the black I wear or when I slip some of my more controversial attire into the mix.
There are so many types of goths and most you just wouldn’t recognize until you attend a large holloween event.

“All around goth mommy”

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#3 May 4, 2013
I have always been different. I have always prefered the darker side. I have always been the weird one, the odd one. I am the black sheep of my family. I don't believe there is such a thing as NORMAL. THERE IS NO NORMAL. I am 38 years old and I find comfort in my Goth lifestyle....

Since: Jan 13

Bethesda, MD

#4 Jun 18, 2013
For me, I was always goth. We were called beatniks back in the day, then there just were no names that matched our personalities. Finally for me, someone came up with a name for us. Gothics. so all of the cyperpunks, Victorian mindsets and the like had one roof to fall under

For me it is just the outlook on life that made me gothic. I found beauty in the dark, the cemetaries, the haunted realms, that most found frightening. I embraced the darkness rather than run from it. Holloween is just as important a holiday as Christmas to me. It also helped explain why I loved old dusty Victorian mansions to ultra modern apts and gothic styled churches. It is just who I am is all I can say

Not really. I have the same thoughts and convictions as anyone else. I just choose to observe them in my own way

I don’t see any difference other than what we like or gravitate to

Some of us are very recognizable but there are a lot of us who do not show our “dark” side except on special occasions. The sweet little middle aged secretary you see at work can be a raging goth in her off time. While most of us shout it out in high school, as we get older we assimilate more in the workplace. You would need to pay attention to what we gravitate to or notice what colors we wear most to see us as we are. everyone at my establishment know that I am goth because I am the won wearing long sleeves in the summer, more Victorian attire and my wardrobe colors are mostly purple and black

Like a normal day.

All the time. They just don’t know what to make of the gothic granny they see in me.

Goths are just people who just think a little differently. We find beauty in the darkest places.

“All around goth mommy”

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#5 Jun 18, 2013
ELDERGOTH wrote:
For me, I was always goth. We were called beatniks back in the day, then there just were no names that matched our personalities. Finally for me, someone came up with a name for us. Gothics. so all of the cyperpunks, Victorian mindsets and the like had one roof to fall under
For me it is just the outlook on life that made me gothic. I found beauty in the dark, the cemetaries, the haunted realms, that most found frightening. I embraced the darkness rather than run from it. Holloween is just as important a holiday as Christmas to me. It also helped explain why I loved old dusty Victorian mansions to ultra modern apts and gothic styled churches. It is just who I am is all I can say
Not really. I have the same thoughts and convictions as anyone else. I just choose to observe them in my own way
I don’t see any difference other than what we like or gravitate to
Some of us are very recognizable but there are a lot of us who do not show our “dark” side except on special occasions. The sweet little middle aged secretary you see at work can be a raging goth in her off time. While most of us shout it out in high school, as we get older we assimilate more in the workplace. You would need to pay attention to what we gravitate to or notice what colors we wear most to see us as we are. everyone at my establishment know that I am goth because I am the won wearing long sleeves in the summer, more Victorian attire and my wardrobe colors are mostly purple and black
Like a normal day.
All the time. They just don’t know what to make of the gothic granny they see in me.
Goths are just people who just think a little differently. We find beauty in the darkest places.
Exactly!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gothic Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Relief-Series for 1960's Gothic soap-opera with... Dec '16 Daryl 2
You want Gothic? I'll show ya Gothic ;) (May '16) Dec '16 Daryl 2
Anyone here listens to real Goth bands like Ale... (Jul '16) Nov '16 Sakkiko 2
you effin pansies (Dec '15) Nov '16 Sakkiko 3
Being Gothic (Mar '15) Nov '16 Maria 165
Shopping online or in store what do you look for? Oct '16 Kozzy Strange Thi... 1
Abercrombie and Fitch? Sep '16 Sirdrinksalot 1
More from around the web