The Biggest Rock Albums Coming Your Way In 2009

There are 20 comments on the Jan 12, 2009, MTV News story titled The Biggest Rock Albums Coming Your Way In 2009. In it, MTV News reports that:

Green Day and U2 drop new LPs this year, along with promising young guns like Paramore, Tokio Hotel and more.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at MTV News.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Lou

Leicester, UK

#1 Jan 13, 2009
Are Muse writing a new album?

that's probably in this feed if they are but hey lol, i wanted to comment :L

xo

Lou

“GerardWayIsMyHer o:]”

Since: Jan 09

Lancashire ;)

#2 Jan 13, 2009
The BIGGEST and BEST album coming out this year has gotta be the new MCR album
I loooove MCR go rock!!! xxx

Since: Nov 07

NJ

#3 Jan 13, 2009
Green Day will always be awesome.

MCR's best album was their second. and people that like that album usually hated The Black Parade. MCR, can't write like they used to because they don't feel that way anymore and if they try (i.e The BP) it sounds whiney.
GD 4 LYF

Canada

#4 Jan 13, 2009
Really? I didn't know that MCR had a similar dilemma that some bands go through, like Green Day for instance. Lots of people who liked Dookie hated American Idiot (not me, though). I guess that kind of thing is more common than I thought.

I personally think that the Black Parade is their best, but it's cool that they're going back to their older sound. Or not. I dunno.

Lancashire ;)

#5 Jan 14, 2009
tbh i dont think that TBP sounds whiney i love all their albums, i know all songs to a tee

i cant wait till their album comes out

i do love greenday too i love dookie and american idiot

xx

NJ

#6 Jan 15, 2009
GD 4 LYF wrote:
Really? I didn't know that MCR had a similar dilemma that some bands go through, like Green Day for instance. Lots of people who liked Dookie hated American Idiot (not me, though). I guess that kind of thing is more common than I thought.
I personally think that the Black Parade is their best, but it's cool that they're going back to their older sound. Or not. I dunno.
yeah you're right, i didn't even equate that with green day.
But the thing is I don't think MCR can go back to the way they used to sound, just as Green Day can't.
Like they can't sing about pain and struggling in the industry any more because they pretty much own the idustry at the moment. But they transitioned. Instead of singing about mental hospitals and f'ed friends they branched out into the biger world of poloitcs and civil rights. Which is totally cool because they're being true to themselves.
MCR, however did not do that on TBP and it came out more forced than raw and new. But that's just my opinion. Actually i'm interested to know your opinion of their old material compared to TBP.
loveMCRnatalia

Hanover, Germany

#7 Jan 16, 2009
Oh, no i hate Tokio Hotel...:/
But I think that will be a fantastic Cd ;)
MCR rules...:D

Lancashire ;)

#8 Jan 16, 2009
loveMCRnatalia wrote:
Oh, no i hate Tokio Hotel...:/
But I think that will be a fantastic Cd ;)
MCR rules...:D
^^Hell yeh!

xx
GD 4 LYF

Canada

#9 Jan 16, 2009
xAngelx wrote:
<quoted text>
yeah you're right, i didn't even equate that with green day.
But the thing is I don't think MCR can go back to the way they used to sound, just as Green Day can't.
Like they can't sing about pain and struggling in the industry any more because they pretty much own the idustry at the moment. But they transitioned. Instead of singing about mental hospitals and f'ed friends they branched out into the biger world of poloitcs and civil rights. Which is totally cool because they're being true to themselves.
MCR, however did not do that on TBP and it came out more forced than raw and new. But that's just my opinion. Actually i'm interested to know your opinion of their old material compared to TBP.
You're right. I don't think Green Day or MCR would ever go back to their old sound, because once you've seen another side (that's really popular in the mainstream.) you just can't turn back.

I didn't find the black parade whiney, but I do admit it's a far cry from their older stuff. Their older stuff was a bit moer sincere, whereas TBP was maybe a bit commericial and not all that realistic, but i still enjoyed the songs.
GD 4 LYF

Canada

#10 Jan 16, 2009
And aslo, you must be the first person EVER interested in my opinion. Usually everyone ignores me!

NJ

#11 Jan 17, 2009
GD 4 LYF wrote:
<quoted text>
You're right. I don't think Green Day or MCR would ever go back to their old sound, because once you've seen another side (that's really popular in the mainstream.) you just can't turn back.
I didn't find the black parade whiney, but I do admit it's a far cry from their older stuff. Their older stuff was a bit moer sincere, whereas TBP was maybe a bit commericial and not all that realistic, but i still enjoyed the songs.
you are right. But for me, the lack of sincerity made the ablum unrealistic and a tab bit whiney. I mean have you even seen them perform 'Mama'? Gerard is an actor. You can tell that in his performance which is a (extremely) mild comparison to what ppl like Jack Nicholson and Heath Ledger do. Granted musician do write songs from the stand points of other characters (i.e the Misfits, Slippknot) but they're songs pretty much only exemplify the emotons of hate and anger. MCR, however started out by using real emotions and experiences in their music (i,e Skylines and Turnstyles, Helena, etc.) When the were o longer able to do that on TBP, they faked it.
*ok, MCR rant, over.
But seriously, all those ppl that are willing to sacrifice themselves for MCR, should really, listen to and understand what they become so absorbed in. It is dangerous to become so obsessesed with a band liek MCR because you equate so many of your values on the band's image and not who they are personally.
This is why I can't stand when ppl say 'MCR saved my life', because in theory it simply can not true.
My question to you my new cognitive friend, agree or disagree; Can a band save a life?(and I want to know what you think, not what you believe you should say, your unbiased opinion)

NJ

#12 Jan 17, 2009
GD 4 LYF wrote:
And aslo, you must be the first person EVER interested in my opinion. Usually everyone ignores me!
That is a shame.
But the thing you have to remember is that you are different, in the sence that you tend to go against the grain. Which in the real world is a good thing (well, most of the time).
But people on here are a lot younger. Adolenents tend to be (to an extent)very egocentric- that they think they're own exeperiences are unique, which leads them to only focus on themselves and their beliefs.
When people go against their opinions, they get defensive, rather than being openminded to the alternate views. This is why if I were to say "MCR SUCKS" many people on the MCR forum would go on the attack mode because, i'm devaluing their beliefs.
What I'm trying to say is that, from what you've said to me, it seems that you may be a head of the cognitive develompent, meaning that if you set your opinions against older people, they would be more valued. If I find you interesting and value your opinions, you can be 100% certain that others will too.
GD 4 LYF

Canada

#13 Jan 17, 2009
xAngelx wrote:
<quoted text>
you are right. But for me, the lack of sincerity made the ablum unrealistic and a tab bit whiney. I mean have you even seen them perform 'Mama'? Gerard is an actor. You can tell that in his performance which is a (extremely) mild comparison to what ppl like Jack Nicholson and Heath Ledger do. Granted musician do write songs from the stand points of other characters (i.e the Misfits, Slippknot) but they're songs pretty much only exemplify the emotons of hate and anger. MCR, however started out by using real emotions and experiences in their music (i,e Skylines and Turnstyles, Helena, etc.) When the were o longer able to do that on TBP, they faked it.
*ok, MCR rant, over.
But seriously, all those ppl that are willing to sacrifice themselves for MCR, should really, listen to and understand what they become so absorbed in. It is dangerous to become so obsessesed with a band liek MCR because you equate so many of your values on the band's image and not who they are personally.
This is why I can't stand when ppl say 'MCR saved my life', because in theory it simply can not true.
My question to you my new cognitive friend, agree or disagree; Can a band save a life?(and I want to know what you think, not what you believe you should say, your unbiased opinion)
Agree with everything you said there. Their performances were dramatic enough to be a Broadway show.

No, I band cannot save your life. Especially not bands like MCR, who talk about death, blood and use the words lightly. I think if anything it would maybe take your life AWAY if you were obsessed enough, but that's probably really uncommon. That being said, if music IS somebody's life (guilty) a band could save their life, in theory I guess.

But saving a suicidal person? Not gonna happen. I dunno, maybe I'm just using myself to judge from, but if the suicide-prevention hotline told me to go listen to Bob Dylan, I'd commit suicide anyway =)(Got nothing against bob dylan, BTW)

NJ

#14 Jan 18, 2009
Thank you! you know you are the first person to make sence on this MCR forum. Everyone one on here that said MCR saved their lives, couldn't tell me how. Physology states surounding yourself with a depressing situation will only depress you further (it triggers the hope portion of our brain to minimise in its out put. And last i heard MCR weren't sining about anything other then as you say, blood and death.
And I do agree with you 100%, that if you become obsessed enough it will take your life away.
It's not the bands fault, they're just 'expressing' themselves and ppl aren't supposed to take them too seriously. Even they said, that it wasn't what they wanted.

Music in general, I do believe can save your life. Because it's malleable, you can make it whatever you need it to be. Its open to your own interpretation so you can find joy in it if you wish.
I guess I'm guilty too. A band did save me. but it wasn't the band it was more the consept of their music.
Neutral Milk Hotel- The made a consept album on Anne Frank. The music was sad but it was beautiful. It reminded me that my pain was nothing compared to that of Anne and it helped me put my own life into perspective. I am obsessed with the music, but not the band, there is a difference. It's not about the image, its about the message.

lol, Bob Dylan.
GD 4 LYF

Canada

#15 Jan 18, 2009
Yes, they are putting themselves out there through their music, but no matter how personal, it's still about blood and it can't save anyones life.

Maybe you're right that music can save your life,(I don't know that from experience, but I'm guessing) if the message is positive enough, or at least uplifting. But wow! A concept album on Anne Frank? I haven't heard much from Neutral Milk Hotel, but that sounds amazing! I'll definitely check that out!
GD 4 LYF

Canada

#16 Jan 18, 2009
And also, the only MCR song I can think of that could maybe save somebody's life is Famous Last Words.

"I am not afraid to keep on living
I am not afraid to walk this world alone"

And that's all I really know. I only have TBP, but I want Three Cheers for Sweet Revenge. I have listened to a lot of their stuff on their first two albums and it's really good, but the only album I have is TBP. But this year I promised myself to get into as many new bands as I can, so I'd count MCR's older material as new.

NJ

#17 Jan 18, 2009
NMH are amazing. If you want a reccomendation I'd say start with 'In the Aeroplane over the Sea' and it would help to read the actual Diary of Anne Frank first.:)

yeah they do have that one song and in my opinion it was the most realistic song on their album because that was Gerard's reflection of himself and how he has grown. But still the vid was a little bit too theartical for me.

They're old stuff is good but i suggest not getting to involved in it. but you know that.
What kind of music are you in to?
I usually don't label myself but i do have peferences.
and another question out of morbid curiosity; How old are you? and I'm guessing just by sheer vibe that you are a girl?
*If you're not, I'm totally sorry that my sexdar if whacked.
GD 4 LYF

Canada

#18 Jan 18, 2009
Yeah, I've listend to a few songs off the album now (Cheyyah, I'm quick!!)and it certainly does help if you've read it. I think I read half of it.

Umm...I like pop-punk, rock, pop rock and classic rock. Can't really put a label on it.

=P I'm 13 going on 14 and, yeah! I'm a girl.:)

Do you mind me asking how old you are?

NJ

#19 Jan 18, 2009
GD 4 LYF wrote:
Yeah, I've listend to a few songs off the album now (Cheyyah, I'm quick!!)and it certainly does help if you've read it. I think I read half of it.
Umm...I like pop-punk, rock, pop rock and classic rock. Can't really put a label on it.
=P I'm 13 going on 14 and, yeah! I'm a girl.:)
Do you mind me asking how old you are?
13, really? Wow, see you just proved my point about being more mature than your general age range. I thought you must have been at least 15.
lol, got the girl part right, though.

Well, as you probably already know, i am a girl but I want to ask you how old you think I am?
GD 4 LYF

Canada

#20 Jan 18, 2009
Mm....in your 20's?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gothic Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Being Gothic Sun Maria 6
Am I goth or emo? Apr 5 Maria 129
My Parents Are Judging My Style (Sep '14) Feb '15 Dreadfully Yours 37
Goth stereotypes... (Jul '07) Feb '15 Dreadfully Yours 349
Evolution of your goth experience Feb '15 Dreadfully Yours 11
Is this an okay thing to be? Feb '15 Dreadfully Yours 9
Problems With You People Feb '15 PSIskull 18
More from around the web