Tonex Retires From Gospel Mus

Tonex Retires From Gospel Mus

There are 65 comments on the Ibelieve.com story from Jan 23, 2006, titled Tonex Retires From Gospel Mus. In it, Ibelieve.com reports that:

Yesterday, Tonex shocked his many fans that he will be retiring from the gospel music industry.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Ibelieve.com.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
TERESA MILLER

Miami, FL

#1 Apr 25, 2006
I'M SURE THAT TONEX KNOWS WHAT IS BEST FOR HIM, BUT IF HE PLANS TO GO THE SECULAR ROUTE, I KNOW HE WILL BE JUST AS SUCCESSFUL. I JUST HOPE AND PRAY THAT HE'S TOTALLY AWARE OF THE SPIRITUAL CONSEQUENCES THAT HE WILL HAVE TO FACE, WHEN DEALING WITH GOD. I WOULD SERIOUSLY HATE FOR HIM TO FALL AWAY FROM WHAT GOD, HIMSELF HAS GIFTED THIS MAN WITH. WHAT EVER HE DOES, HE HAS MY DEEPEST PRAYERS AND WISHES.
Trying to keep it Real

Atlanta, GA

#2 Apr 27, 2006
Tonex says he retiring. He gave a lot of good reasons too, but be real...Tonex has been busier than ever. He has PAID dates, preaching dates, singing dates, GOBBS of industry dates across the country. He's on radio, working on projects and is still producing.
Does that sound like someone who has retired! I don't think so. Look for Tonex to make a total come back sooner than HE SAYS! He's still in the game, but simply trying to downplay his status.
Eric autry

Concord, NC

#3 Jun 9, 2006
I don't know if Tonex really did retire it was a pretty bad idea correct me if i'm wrong but did he say he retired because he got divorced thats not a good reason if you ask me and another thing he's switching over to secular music thats a very bad idea i sure hope he knows what he's getting himself into cause spiritually it doesn't look to good for him
Trevor

Valsayn, Trinidad and Tobago

#4 Jun 29, 2006
I have been searching the web for a pic of Anthony Harmon, man i'm a bassist and that's my hero.Does anyone have a pic?
Al A

New Orleans, LA

#5 Jul 22, 2006
I just heard Tonex will be in Miami Fl on August 19th 2006 along with Fred Hammond. James L Knight Center -- Tickets on Ticketmaster.com
Byrd

Rock Hill, SC

#6 Aug 8, 2006
Eric autry wrote:
I don't know if Tonex really did retire it was a pretty bad idea correct me if i'm wrong but did he say he retired because he got divorced thats not a good reason if you ask me and another thing he's switching over to secular music thats a very bad idea i sure hope he knows what he's getting himself into cause spiritually it doesn't look to good for him
what u mean...tonex aint goin secular...get ya facts straight b4 u go puttin my fellow christian on blast over tha net...and if u supposed to be his brother u would cover him...not throw him out in tha ocean to drown...this is his blog that he wrote on his myspace page...

:::“After long contemplation and much financial & emotional hardship I have decided that Tonex needs go on hiatus from the music industry. I have tried very hard to endure all that I can from being misunderstood to being down right lied on and I don't physically or emotionally have the capacity to continue on anymore under the current circumstances. My record Label ZLG (Zomba Label Group) has repeatedly ignored my requests for help and they just don't get me as an artist. But I'm not blaming them, it's hard for anyone to really get me as an artist because I am not the normal type of artist. I bow out. And I don't know when I'm coming back.

Honestly I don't feel that I fit into anyone's category but my own, but in a world that's filled with labels, sections & categories people can't function if they can't put you in a certain box.
I don't fit totally into Gospel because I don't sing JESUS JESUS JESUS all day and I don't fit into mainstream because I don't sing SEX SEX SEX all day either. I'm at a serious crossroads right now in life. And I don't have the answers. I cried and cried and cried last night to God for help because I can't go any further.

I'm not writing this so that people can feel sorry, I'm blogging my thoughts out. And I think I need to just bow out gracefully while I'm still on a fairly successful run off of OTB. I will continue to sell my projects online and things like that via YOTONEX but I think I need to just dissappear until I can find a place where I can live at least comfortably. Right now I am an 8 time Stellar Award winning , 2 time Dove award winning, Grammy nominated, Gold Selling artist with no furniture, Divorced, No chairs, No money. The label doesn't give me advances because my contract a is real wack. And they don't communicate.I don't know what else to say world.

What's funny is I still have people writing to me kicking me while I'm down. So now I say y'all can have it. Tonex will be out of your way once and for all. You win. Please congratulate Ex-Ministries, some Chick from England named Alexandria and a host of other so called Christians who have literally destroyed,defamated , embarrased and fatigue my life, my family and my spirit. I'm done y'all. Really. Sorry that I let some of you down but it wasn't intentional. I don't have ANY options right now so I have to do what I have to do which is "Nothing".
They don't even ask me what the real deal is but they use and twist my words for controversy sake to sell CD's DVD's and magazines. I had no idea Christians get down like this ????”::::
Natusha

Saint Louis, MO

#7 Aug 15, 2006
Byrd wrote:
<quoted text>
what u mean...tonex aint goin secular...get ya facts straight b4 u go puttin my fellow christian on blast over tha net...and if u supposed to be his brother u would cover him...not throw him out in tha ocean to drown...this is his blog that he wrote on his myspace page...
:::“After long contemplation and much financial & emotional hardship I have decided that Tonex needs go on hiatus from the music industry. I have tried very hard to endure all that I can from being misunderstood to being down right lied on and I don't physically or emotionally have the capacity to continue on anymore under the current circumstances. My record Label ZLG (Zomba Label Group) has repeatedly ignored my requests for help and they just don't get me as an artist. But I'm not blaming them, it's hard for anyone to really get me as an artist because I am not the normal type of artist. I bow out. And I don't know when I'm coming back.
Honestly I don't feel that I fit into anyone's category but my own, but in a world that's filled with labels, sections & categories people can't function if they can't put you in a certain box.
I don't fit totally into Gospel because I don't sing JESUS JESUS JESUS all day and I don't fit into mainstream because I don't sing SEX SEX SEX all day either. I'm at a serious crossroads right now in life. And I don't have the answers. I cried and cried and cried last night to God for help because I can't go any further.
I'm not writing this so that people can feel sorry, I'm blogging my thoughts out. And I think I need to just bow out gracefully while I'm still on a fairly successful run off of OTB. I will continue to sell my projects online and things like that via YOTONEX but I think I need to just dissappear until I can find a place where I can live at least comfortably. Right now I am an 8 time Stellar Award winning , 2 time Dove award winning, Grammy nominated, Gold Selling artist with no furniture, Divorced, No chairs, No money. The label doesn't give me advances because my contract a is real wack. And they don't communicate.I don't know what else to say world.
What's funny is I still have people writing to me kicking me while I'm down. So now I say y'all can have it. Tonex will be out of your way once and for all. You win. Please congratulate Ex-Ministries, some Chick from England named Alexandria and a host of other so called Christians who have literally destroyed,defamated , embarrased and fatigue my life, my family and my spirit. I'm done y'all. Really. Sorry that I let some of you down but it wasn't intentional. I don't have ANY options right now so I have to do what I have to do which is "Nothing".
They don't even ask me what the real deal is but they use and twist my words for controversy sake to sell CD's DVD's and magazines. I had no idea Christians get down like this ????”::::
I feel what you saying. I can't believe how our christian can be so brand new. I can admit I didn't care too much for tonex when he first hit the scene but I heard him preach one day and that did it for me. People just don't know how hard it is for gospel artist who are really trying to live life like christ. Honestly I believe that if the main people that are putting him on blast have secrets of thier own and if they had the spotlight like tonex did they wouldn't last half as long as he did. Its time for christians to start sweeping around their own door because when the Lord stands at their door and knock they will miss a blessing simply because they were too busy trying to run everyone elses life. I have faith that God is not going to let Tonex fall to the point were he can't rise again. People fail to realize that when God says touch not my annointing he wasn't just talking about them. So people better be careful because God is a jealous God. The wrath of God just for one little soul? BE CAREFUL SAINTS HOW YOU TALK ABOUT GODS CHOSEN!

Be Blessed!
DENETTE

Marietta, GA

#8 Aug 17, 2006
Being a former professional artis myself, I understand Tonex's position to the "T". When I was in the industry, I saw more evils that I did from people we were "supposed" to be there to minister to. I did see backbiting and haterisms throughout my 10 year tenure with the industry. My only concern for Tonex is that he does not cross over to the "other side" and become secular. No matter what was done to me, I didn't let anyone deter me from seeking God. It's the devil's position to do just what has happened to Tonex...distract, deter, and destroy. I love Tonex. I'm not realy into all of his music, as I enjoy traditional gospel the most, however, he is one of the most talented musicians in the WORLD. I love you Tonex, but most importantly, God loves you best!
D-boy

UK

#9 Aug 26, 2006
yo peeps check my page out:

www.myspace.com/dingasper

God Bless !!!
petronella

Bristol, UK

#10 Sep 2, 2006
love you tonex
curiousfan

Salisbury, UK

#11 Sep 21, 2006
is it really true tonex retired? why?
well tonex you are my number one, i justlove your music and the you sing them.
heaven_4_me2002

United States

#12 Oct 3, 2006
I think you should keep on singing. You have a gift I have 8 children and all of them LOVE your music.Your music is not for everyone but it is for the young.Don't you let the devil stop your annointing.Show him and them Haters who is the true KINGS of KINGS, LORDS of LORDS.Tonex stop giving the Devil the VICTORY.Show him that throw all things thru Christ JESUS you can't do all things.Even if you and your wife did get a divorce sorry to hear that,but more reason for you to get closer to the LORD. Stay True No Matter What!!
heaven_4_me2002

United States

#13 Oct 3, 2006
it was a misprint in my statement I meant you CAN do all things thru Christ Jesus!!!
Ashley Shelley

Murfreesboro, TN

#14 Oct 26, 2006
I hate that Tonex retired from the gospel music industry. I love his songs and I still listen to them today. Two of my favorite songs are Lord Make Me Over and Work On Me. My prayers are with him. I pray that he goes in the right path that God wants him to go in.
Pinkktoesathotma ilcom

Redmond, WA

#15 Nov 5, 2006
The funniest thing about this is as I was surfing the web, I am listening to your "Out the Box" CD track number 4 and it is amazing.. It is so very unfortunate and spritually disappointing to hear that Tonex has decided to leave gospel music. While I am the first to understand totally how you feel Tonex, but there are times when we as Christians are going to be tried and tested and tried and tested and tried and tested until the day we fall asleep. I am not in the Gospel music industry, but I am the praise and worship leader at my church and I know how it is to be rejected, ignored and even hated..however, once I was delivered from "People", I promise I am not the same. Yes, even on Sundays, they still look at us like we're crazy, but I recognize that I decided to answer one of the many gifts and callings from the Lord. Therefore I decided not to hide my talents from God....if we don't praise Him the rocks will cry out. I know you are frustrated but, please do not be like the parable of the talents person in the Bible who chose to hide his talent. I know that you are very well talented and most definitely called, chosen and anointed for a time such as this: therefore please don't let people who spend their lives living in a clouded box deter you from ministering in praise and worship..you and your music can and will save many young and YES even old from giving up. We are the voice for this generation..what will YOU do about it Tonex? I am constantly along with my pastor and church family praying and fasting for you!! Be Blessed and most of all be encouraged!! Gwendolyn Thomas
Etonio

AOL

#16 Nov 8, 2006
Just keep living for the lord, and don't strive to please no one but the Lord!!!!
Young Miss Nix

Phoenix, AZ

#17 Dec 29, 2006
DEAR TONEX,
AS A CHILD OF GOD YOU HAVE OUR CONDOLENCES FOR ALL THAT YOU ARE FACING. YOU ARE IN THE MIDST OF THE FIRES OF LIFE THAT WE ALL GO THROUGH THAT THE LORD USES TO PURIFY US. SOMETIMES AS MINISTERS WE CAN BE SO BUSY DOING GODS WORK THAT ALL OF SUDDEN WHEN THE TRIALS OF LIFE HIT US WE CANT SEE OR ARE SHOCKED WHEN LIFE PUNCHES US IN THE FACE. A SABBITICAL HAS PROBABLY BEEN NEEDED FOR YOU FOR A LONG TIME. TIME TO ALLOW THE LORD TO MINISTER TO YOU HIS DESIRE, HIS WILL, HIS THOUGHTS AND WAIT AND LISTEN AND WAIT AND LISTEN AND WAIT AND LISTEN AND WAIT. I THINK THAT MANY TIMES AS PEOPLE, WE JUST "MILK" PEOPLE FOR ALL OF THIER TALENTS" WE JUST WANT MORE AND MORE AND MORE. BUT MAYBE GOD IS CALLING THAT PERSON TO ANOTHER PLACE FOR A SEASON SO THAT HE CAN REDIRECT HIM. TONEX, PLEASE TAKE THIS TIME TO REST AND TO BE HUMBLED BEFORE THE FATHER. FOR HE LOVES YOU AND YET STILL IN THE MIDST OF ALL THAT YOU ARE GOING THROUGH HAS A PLAN FOR YOU. HE IS MORE CONCERNED ABOUT YOUR ITIMACY WITH HIM YOUR OBEDIENCE TO HIM YOUR CLOSENESS AND RELATIONSHIP WITH HIM THAN ANY THING ELSE IN THIS WHOLE WORLD. HE LOVES YOU. BE ENCOURAGED. TAKE THIS TIME TO BE MENTORED AND NOT IN THE LIME LIGHT THAT THE LORD MAY RESTORE YOUR SOUL LIKE PSALM23. WE ALL NEED IT. GOD BLESS YOU
judz-Jamaica WI

Miami Beach, FL

#18 Dec 29, 2006
Oh my this comes as a shock to me that one of my favorite artist is retiring. However I believe that God brings his people through certain situations, for a given purpose, that most times we cannot see. I agree with "young miss nix". Continue to trust God, He can and he will work everything out for his purpose.
jlb

AOL

#19 Feb 4, 2007
I am a little shocked at his decision. I am not surprised of the things he is going through. No one is immuned to what he is going through. I believe that Tonex stepped out of the Will of God. You will encounter obstacles in your life but problems of his magnitude lead me to believe that he did what he wanted and not what God wanted.

First off, I believe Tonex needs to find the Truth. He was raised as a Oneness Pentecostal and he stayed in that denomination. After doing research on that denomination, it is deeply flawed in it's doctrine. Such flaws can lead to spiritual turmoil and great sadness. If you read in the Bible want you want to read, you will be sadly disappointed with the results of your life.

God is now trying to get his attention and I pray that the Lord sends someone to him who will show him the Truth. No one is perfect but it's up to us to follow God's lead and now our own.
JIMMY SMITH

Waco, TX

#20 Apr 23, 2007
WELL SIR ALL I CAN SAY IS I'M PRAYING FOR YOU. THE BEST PLACE TO BE IS IN GOD'S WILL. AND YOU KNOW IF THIS IS WHAT GOD TOLD YOU TO DO or WHAT YOUR EMOTIONS TOLD YOU TO DO. BUT WHATEVER DECISION YOU HAVE MADE I RESPECT YOU FOR IT, AND DON'T CONDEMN YOU. THAT'S NOT MY PLACE BUT ONE THING I WILL HOLD YOU TO FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE IS TO BE YE HOLY FOR YOUR GOD IS HOLY. YOU MUST UNDERSTAND YOU ARE A SABBATH KEEPER AND YOU KNOW THAT WORD IS RIGHT. BUT OUT OF ALL THINGS THAT WE HAVE BEEN TAUGHT REALIZE THAT YOU MUST STAND ON GOD'S WORD AND DON'T BACK DOWN FROM ANYTHING. DON'T YOU EVER STOP PREACHING THE TRUTH, IT'S TO MANY YOUNG PEOPLE THAT NEEDS YOU. YOU CAN'T STOP GIVING GOD PRAISE. I KNOW YOU DON'T DO ANY CONCERTS BUT I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW WHAT WOULD IT TAKE TO GET YOU TO COME TO A LITTLE SMALL COUNTRY TOWN AND ENCOURAGE OUR YOUTH. EVERY YEAR WE HAVE AN CONVOCATION IN JULY AND WE HAVE WHAT YOU CALL YOUTH NIGHT WHERE OUR YOUTH ARE IN CONTROL OF THE SERVICE THAT NIGHT. YOU COULD SEE LITTLE CHILDREN BY THE AGE OF 5 YEARS OLD FILL WITH THE HOLYGHOST AND WE WOULD PRAY THAT YOU COULD COME AND HELP US MAKE IT AND EVENT THAT OUR CHILDREN WOULD NEVER FORGET. IF THIS IS POSSIBLE PLEASE CONTACT ME AT gailjimmsmith@yahoo.com
and adress it to the National youth pastor jimmy smith

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gospel Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Humble Music Feb 4 Anonymous 1
News Stop leads to drug arrest Feb 2 Do not break the law 3
News Weeks, Bynum must meet for mediation next month (Jan '08) Jan 29 UNND 13
News Chris Coleman's in-laws suing Joyce Meyer Minis... (Apr '10) Jan '17 vb 17
News Christian music star David Phelps to play Calva... (Apr '06) Dec '16 CHIRCH 28
Number One Gospel Song Track Billboard Artist G... (Apr '15) Nov '16 Guitar48 7
Life Eternal Nov '16 stratton609 1
More from around the web