Televangelist Joel Osteen shuns lavis...

Televangelist Joel Osteen shuns lavish lifestyle, visits Orland...

There are 334 comments on the Orlando Sentinel story from Nov 29, 2007, titled Televangelist Joel Osteen shuns lavish lifestyle, visits Orland.... In it, Orlando Sentinel reports that:

If the evangelical world is looking for a poster child to offset the negative publicity surrounding rich televangelists, Joel Osteen would be a good choice.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Orlando Sentinel.

Darin69

United States

#297 Dec 20, 2008
The biggest problem with prosperity speakers/preachers is that their lifestyle, that everyone sees, hurts their witness. Did people have to pay a $10 cover charge to hear Jesus or any of the apostles teach or preach the gospel??

Even the very elect will be deceived!!!! Does this ring a bell!! It should.
Glenn-76

Chicago, IL

#298 Jan 6, 2009
I must admit that I'm having a real problem with what I'm observing with respect to the lifestyles of many of today's televangelists and leaders of "megachurches" here in America. I have no objection whatsoever with the idea of material blessings being poured out to those who are sincerely and earnestly pursuing the call of Christ in their lives but at what point has one crossed the line between prosperity and excessive opulence? Because I'm quite certain that such a line does exist. And if, indeed it does, then any rational thinking person would have to seriously consider the idea that many of today's church leaders have clearly and completely moved over into the realm of excessive opulence. When one who proclaims to follow Christ has acquired material wealth to such a degree that they could liquidate a mere tenth of their material assets and, with that money, completely finance some of the charitable causes for which they cry out to the common Christian, then something seems to be terribly amiss. My question logically becomes,"If you're not willing to do your part with respect to this cause then why should you expect me to do mine?"
Glenn-76

Loves Park, IL

#299 Jan 7, 2009
(amendment to previous post)
"Now godliness with contentment is great gain.
For we brought nothing into the world, and it is certain we can carry nothing out.
And having food and clothing, WITH THESE WE SHALL BE CONTENT.
BUT THOSE WHO DESIRE TO BE RICH FALL INTO TEMPTATION AND A SNARE, AND INTO MANY FOOLISH AND HARMFUL LUSTS WHICH DROWN MEN IN DESTRUCTION AND PERDITION.
FOR THE LOVE OF MONEY IS THE ROOT OF ALL KINDS OF EVIL, for which SOME HAVE STRAYED FROM THE FAITH IN THEIR GREEDINESS AND PIERCED THEMSELVES THROUGH WITH MANY SORROWS.
But you, O man of God, FLEE THESE THINGS and pursue righteousness, godliness, faith, love, patience, gentleness."
1 Timothy 6:6-11
I fear that our rich preacher friends have either forgotten these verses or figured out a way to claim some sort of immunity from the truth of their message.It truly is amazing what the creature comforts of today's society can do to destroy the clear thinking of formerly sincere and devout Christians.
Final Chapter

United States

#300 Jan 7, 2009
Teresa Hoover wrote:
Joel Olsteen is a very reputable evangelist and your article regarding his modest life style is excellent. However, I feel that attempts by this paper and Sen Charles Grassely to denigrate the reputations of six evangelists because they live in what people believe to be lavish lifestyles are erroneous and based on ignorance of biblical doctrine. Too many people in the world and in the church have this unfounded belief that people called to the ministry need to live in poverty and lack. This is not true. Jesus was not a beggar nor was He poor. He had many followers giving into his ministry. He had a treasurer assigned to give money to the poor. Unfortunately he was a thief and a traitor.
These evangelists do more in carrying the gospel of Jesus Christ to the may parts of this nation and the world than most other christians in this nation. They are on the go most of the year fulfilling their ministry. They have the need of transportation sufficient to taked them to their destinations. They have the right to live in a style that brings comfort and security to them. No one attacks CEO's of large corporations for their luxurious lifestyles or their use of corporate jets to travel to their meetings and various events.
I support these evangelists with my money and my prayers and in no way do I feel that my donations are being abused. I believe that the people who are complaining about these people need to follow in the footsteps of these evangelists for a while and minister to the needs of the church and the world in the manner that is performed by them. These evangelists do not detract from the Gospel of Jesus Christ. They fulfill it in the lives and lifestyles
OMG!

Do you think they should be allowed to earn all this money, TAX FREE, while the taxpayers pay at the door, pay in the taxes, for these self-righteous self-interested (for profit)'preachers'.

We are crazy to depend so much on an 'after life'.

Get real people, live for this life and make it a better place.

Have these 'preachers' pay their way, same as others. With their tax money, perhaps we can get out of debt with China.

They are all 'performers' and are paid the usual salaries as all entertainers are -- which is why families can no longer attend anything together as once was the case.

Imagine a family of five wanting to attend Joel's service.

First the price of gas, then having to pay $50.00 at the door.

You'll can't be that stupid.
Final Chapter

United States

#301 Jan 7, 2009
Oh, I forgot the $5 for paying, you have to park otherwise you are parking on a freeway!

And if he would stop blimking his eyes and hold them open for a few minutes we might be able to see what he really is!
IMHO

Grimsby, Canada

#302 Jan 7, 2009
You just can't stand for anybody who chooses to follow Christ to prosper can you? You will never see anybody bashing Wayne Dyer,Deepak Chopra, Tony Robbins, or any of the secular "prophets" on any forum for their prosperity. Why? They never profess their faith in God. A person can be anything but a Christian in America today. God Bless America indeed. It's no wonder you are losing the war on terror. Your hipocrasy is cloying in your own throats.
Final Chapter

United States

#303 Jan 7, 2009
IMHO wrote:
You just can't stand for anybody who chooses to follow Christ to prosper can you? You will never see anybody bashing Wayne Dyer,Deepak Chopra, Tony Robbins, or any of the secular "prophets" on any forum for their prosperity. Why? They never profess their faith in God. A person can be anything but a Christian in America today. God Bless America indeed. It's no wonder you are losing the war on terror. Your hipocrasy is cloying in your own throats.
They ALL, jointly and severally are the rotten apples at the bottom of the barrel!

Not Christian alone, absolutely not -- Deepak and the whole lots of them. Parasites on good people.
IMHO

Grimsby, Canada

#304 Jan 7, 2009
Final Chapter wrote:
<quoted text>
They ALL, jointly and severally are the rotten apples at the bottom of the barrel!
Not Christian alone, absolutely not -- Deepak and the whole lots of them. Parasites on good people.
What?
Darin69

United States

#305 Feb 9, 2009
We all need to pray for Joel and his family. He is truly decieved by the money and fame. Surely at the end of this life we will have nothing to gain, in this world, that will take us on to the next to live eternally.
Rajith

India

#306 Feb 10, 2009
Hey guys, Please do not judge and condemn any one, then you will also not be judged and condemned. Pray to God for His Spirit of Truth to guide you and protect you from being decieved.

Birth pain is already started.

God bless.

“You Can't handle the Truth!!!!”

Since: Jan 07

Orlando

#307 Mar 16, 2009
Rajith wrote:
Hey guys, Please do not judge and condemn any one, then you will also not be judged and condemned. Pray to God for His Spirit of Truth to guide you and protect you from being decieved.
God bless.
That is sooooo not keeping that verse in context.....nice try though.....
Final Chapter

United States

#308 Mar 16, 2009
Darin69 wrote:
We all need to pray for Joel and his family. He is truly decieved by the money and fame. Surely at the end of this life we will have nothing to gain, in this world, that will take us on to the next to live eternally.
Don't know if you ever saw 'his church' in Houston.

Lived in Houston since late '70s, his father had a small church, Lakewood Church, called after the subdivision it was close to (average middle class subdivision).

Then Compaq came (now HP) and Lakewood was close to their new digs (after they had gotten out of the garage of one of the founder's garage).

Lakewood Church expanded as more people came into the area.

But since the father died and Joel (who didn't even finish college) took over it has been bent on making as much money as possible and from as many avenues as possible.

The 'average' house he professes to be his home, is one of many.

He bought the complex that housed Houston Rockets' games (yes, in the eighties when they won two championships).

Joel has done quite well for himself on pandering hope to those of us who want better days ahead.

Save your money and that is the way you will get ahead. Giving it to Joel is not getting any of us there!
guest00

Chanute, KS

#309 Mar 29, 2009
Rajith wrote:
God bless.
I don't think that I judged any one, at least I did not write it or think it. We are to pray for someone who is on the wrong path. Faith in prosperity is not the answer to eternity and if you can discern God's word it does not suggest it.
Jack Mehoff

New Hope, PA

#310 Aug 15, 2010
Every time I see this fraud I's like to knock those perfect teeth down his throat!
jha

United States

#311 Jun 19, 2011
ah thank paster blink be right smart bout the laord. dammit.
just wondering

Jackson, TN

#312 Oct 5, 2011
Shunning lavish life style but lives in 10 million dollar house and got 13 million advance for book. Charges up $150 to hear him talk. That does not sound like he shuns lavish lifestyle. I know he accepts no money from church, he dosen't need anymore!!!
Jud Paynter

United States

#313 Nov 17, 2011
Be The Miracle wrote:
Did anyone do ANY fact checking on this story? Joel Osteen lives in an 8 million dollar home! I'd say that's lavish by any definition of the word.
There is something about this man that I do not trust. The eyes are the mirror to the soul, and I don't see good. Oh, I see a wolf in sheep clothing, not unlike a lot of the evangelist who say they live a modest life, but they don't. Sorry, I posted this many years later, because I just saw him on Dr. Oz.
Jud Paynter

United States

#314 Nov 17, 2011
http://www.inplainsite.org/html/tele-evangeli...

Joel Osteens modest home. I knew there was darkness in his eyes.

Since: Jun 11

Location hidden

#315 Dec 13, 2011
Bumped for bonis

Since: Jan 12

Location hidden

#317 Jan 12, 2012
I think people who speak publicly regarding faith are going to be criticized no matter what they do. No one is ever perfect enough to please everyone.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gospel Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News FCC fines Syracuse radio owner $20,000 after 'u... Jun 21 Vienna Road 3
News Televangelist Bynum's husband turns himself in - (Aug '07) Jun 19 Jelly Belly Popcorn 347
News Christian music star David Phelps to play Calva... (Apr '06) Jun 16 BULLWINKLE 26
Inquiry for different Gospel music styles Jun 1 luryalurya 1
Gospel Music Recommendations Like Life of Pablo? May '16 Mallinz 1
News Ask Billboard: Remember When Prince & Madonna R... May '16 Amused Octopus 1
News Top 5 Concerts of the Coming Week Apr '16 Lucy Jane 1
More from around the web