Civil suit draws Joyce Meyer Ministri...

Civil suit draws Joyce Meyer Ministries into Coleman murder

There are 109 comments on the St. Louis Post-Dispatch story from May 26, 2009, titled Civil suit draws Joyce Meyer Ministries into Coleman murder. In it, St. Louis Post-Dispatch reports that:

The Joyce Meyer Ministries, whose former security chief was charged with murdering his wife and two sons, is being drawn deeper into the case by a wrongful-death suit filed Tuesday.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at St. Louis Post-Dispatch.

First Prev
of 6
Next Last
Sugar

New Orleans, LA

#1 May 26, 2009
Believe me the very LAST thing joyce meyers and her church want is to be dragged into the cesspool that chris coleman created. I kind of like joyce meyers, she is a good speaker, and can be inspirational and she certainly did NOT know that coleman was a savage beast murderer when she hired him, noone puts that on a resume ever.

she is probably very upset dreading the day she ever laid eyes on him! yes she is christian but there IS a line drawn, joyce meyers will NOT stick up nor defend a man who strangled his own flesh and blood little boys and beautiful wife, for a skanky nude dancer living in FL, I mean that aint gonna happen, Joyce will never condone that and is probably trying to distance herself from this and I dont blame her, coleman is scum!
Tom

Columbia, MO

#2 May 27, 2009
Hey, there is nothing wrong with skanky nude dancers.
Columbia resident

Atlanta, GA

#3 May 27, 2009
Strippers need to eat too. Plus at least we are not having to pay their welfare if they are working for a living.
clem

Columbia, IL

#4 May 27, 2009
I dont know if people really understand what kind of racket Joyce meyer is running. I have researched her (she fleeced a relative). She is a very intelligent cult leader who has the worlds best accountants/attorneys. I am not saying that she had anything to do with these murders. I will say She is not a preacher, she is a shrewd business women willing to eliminate anything or anyone who gets in her way. Does this sound familiar to anyone? As I understand it Chris Coleman worked very closely with Joyce Meyer. Maybe her arrogance and god complex started to rub off on him.

Since: May 09

Phoenix, AZ

#5 May 28, 2009
Based on what the police have released of the threatening letters that Chris gave to the police, the letters are targeting him because he worked for JMM. If these threats were given to the police and the police informed JMM of the threats to her guard because of his work with JMM she may have looked into everything and prevented what happened from happening. Maybe she assigned her head security guard to the task, not knowing he was the one that actually sent the letters in the beginning.6739
jen

Columbia, IL

#6 May 28, 2009
clem wrote:
I dont know if people really understand what kind of racket Joyce meyer is running. I have researched her (she fleeced a relative). She is a very intelligent cult leader who has the worlds best accountants/attorneys. I am not saying that she had anything to do with these murders. I will say She is not a preacher, she is a shrewd business women willing to eliminate anything or anyone who gets in her way. Does this sound familiar to anyone? As I understand it Chris Coleman worked very closely with Joyce Meyer. Maybe her arrogance and god complex started to rub off on him.
i agree about jm shes all about $. maybe there is a little bit of truth with your theory, youre only as good as the ppl you hang with.
jim

Lynchburg, VA

#7 May 28, 2009
Clem you shouldn't speak of things about JM in your ignorance. She is not a cult leader, but a follower of Jesus Christ. What is your definition of a "preacher"? If you would tune in to her program long enough to check it out, she preaches what the Bible says. Last time I checked that is what a Preacher does. How much money do you give to missions? How many starving people in 3rd world countries are you feeding? How many people are you helping with the hope of the Bible message?

How dare you insinuate she has any kind of "god complex" that has anything to do with the horrific murders of three innocent people. As for your comments regarding a god complex- the definition is "one who perceive themselves as omniscient, God-like, thus treating others as mere mortals" Once again you apparently don't know anything about her ministry. She is very transparent in her human flaws and encourages other believers to know they are not perfect but that God forgives us all. One of the reasons so many people can relate to her message is that she is a real human- not God.

No clem ,the Joyce Meyer you are speaking of does not look familar to me.

Joyce Meyer ministry goes above and beyond any and all other ministries regarding their financial accountability.
columbia res

Millstadt, IL

#8 May 28, 2009
Jim..LOLOLOLOL ROFL LOLOL Transparent is right...too bad you have cataracts.
columbia res

Millstadt, IL

#9 May 28, 2009
that guy beats his wife less then the that guy
clems friend

Columbia, IL

#10 May 28, 2009
jim wrote:
Clem you shouldn't speak of things about JM in your ignorance. She is not a cult leader, but a follower of Jesus Christ. What is your definition of a "preacher"? If you would tune in to her program long enough to check it out, she preaches what the Bible says. Last time I checked that is what a Preacher does. How much money do you give to missions? How many starving people in 3rd world countries are you feeding? How many people are you helping with the hope of the Bible message?
How dare you insinuate she has any kind of "god complex" that has anything to do with the horrific murders of three innocent people. As for your comments regarding a god complex- the definition is "one who perceive themselves as omniscient, God-like, thus treating others as mere mortals" Once again you apparently don't know anything about her ministry. She is very transparent in her human flaws and encourages other believers to know they are not perfect but that God forgives us all. One of the reasons so many people can relate to her message is that she is a real human- not God.
Joyce Meyer ministry goes above and beyond any and all other ministries regarding their financial accountability.
This is what youre paying for with all your mission money. I hope you realize you cant buy your way into heaven, but you can buy someone a multi million dollar compound. Why has she abandoned CC so quickly? doesnt seem like the christian thing to do. http://www.trinityfi.org/images/meyer03.jpg
Jim

Lynchburg, VA

#11 May 29, 2009
To Columbia res and Clem's friend--no i don't have cataracts actually 20/20 vision. I don't know where you get this concept of buying your way into heaven. Jesus said over and over again to take care of the poor. Are you familar with all the feeding programs in third world countries that are fully run and funded by JM. So again I ask, how much are you giving to missions? How many starving kids are you feeding in third world countries? Clem's friend, you must be Joyce's friend too if you know that she has abandoned CC.
How do you know what she is doing in this situation.
columbia res

Millstadt, IL

#13 May 29, 2009
Your cataracts are internal Jim. Sigh- someone so insightful- thought you'd get that one. Because Ms Meyer receives an F in the transparency department of her tax-free status. Maybe you should pray-- really really hard for the truth- you may be surprised.
clem

Columbia, IL

#14 May 29, 2009
jim wrote:
Jim, you are correct, Joyce Meter is a preacher. She is a Business woman first though. She was born with a great gift of public speaking. Preaching the word is just the avenue she chose for her own personal success.

When you posed the question "How much money do you give to missions?" It seems like you think this is some sort of contest, but to answer your question I give to many charitable organizations within my means.

The problem I have with Joyce Meyer is that she guilts people into giving their money to her organization. Then After all her personal bills are paid, and the new porsche is paid for she gives whatever is left to these so called missions.

The stl post-dispatch did an in depth investigation on her a few years back. I advise anybody interested to google "st. Louis post-dispatch Joyce Meyer" It is absolutely astounding.
clem

Columbia, IL

#15 May 29, 2009
clem wrote:
<quoted text>Jim, you are correct, Joyce Meter is a preacher. She is a Business woman first though. She was born with a great gift of public speaking. Preaching the word is just the avenue she chose for her own personal success.
When you posed the question "How much money do you give to missions?" It seems like you think this is some sort of contest, but to answer your question I give to many charitable organizations within my means.
The problem I have with Joyce Meyer is that she guilts people into giving their money to her organization. Then After all her personal bills are paid, and the new porsche is paid for she gives whatever is left to these so called missions.
The stl post-dispatch did an in depth investigation on her a few years back. I advise anybody interested to google "st. Louis post-dispatch Joyce Meyer" It is absolutely astounding.
Heres the link http://www.gospelassemblyfree.com/facts/false...
Jenna

Menomonee Falls, WI

#16 May 29, 2009
jim wrote:
jim, I hate to say it but JMM has been involved in scandal after scandal including IRS trouble. Look, I am a Christian, but don't believe in the word of man (or woman in this case)- I only believe in the word of GOD. She is human - and along with that comes bad decisions, even if she made them while working under the guise of her ministry.

It is about the money. Sure, JMM is likable & a pretty good speaker. But, at the end of the day - she has her hand out & her sheep follow her without question and keep the money flowing.
Jim

Lynchburg, VA

#17 May 29, 2009
It is obvious people believe whatever they want, and whatever the news or media tells them. While I am sure many won't go to Joyce's website because it is all a hoax there is valid confirmed documentation of the ministry's financial accountability. Here are a few excerpts from the website.

"Joyce Meyer Ministries, Inc. commits to posting our audited financial statements, as well as any attestation letters provided by our auditors, on our website and updating the information annually.

On March 12, 2009, Senator Chuck Grassley praised Joyce Meyer Ministries for joining the Evangelical Council for Financial Accountability (ECFA).

In a Senate Committee on Finance press release, Grassley said,“It’s good to see increased financial accountability, transparency, board governance, and ethical fund-raising taken seriously.” Grassley went onto say that membership with ECFA, an organization founded in 1979, is like a “Good Housekeeping Seal of Approval.”

ECFA accreditation is based on standards of responsible stewardship, including financial accountability, transparency, sound board governance and ethical fund-raising.

“Transparency has been and will continue to be a standard of this ministry,” said Joyce Meyer.“We hold a deep commitment to our ministry partners and friends, and this is why we have a tradition of going above and beyond what is required by law. We are committed to the truth and to our purpose.”

Each year, independently audited financial reports are made available upon completion to the public as a demonstration of commitment to fiscal responsibility.(Click here to view 2004-2007 financial reports.)

In 2007, 83 percent of total expenses were spent on outreaches and programs directed toward reaching people with the Gospel of Jesus Christ and meeting the physical needs of the poor and needy worldwide.

Joyce Meyer Ministries recently voluntarily cooperated with an IRS tax inquiry to determine whether we meet the requirements for exemption from Federal Income Tax. The IRS was pleased to inform us that we qualify and continue to meet the requirements for Federal Income Tax exemption under IRC Section 501 (c)(3). Read the response from the IRS below."

I think if the statements about Senator Grassly's inquiries and the IRS questions were falsified by JM the Senator's office and the IRS would have no problem exposing it.

I don't talk about giving to missions like it is a contest, I bring it up to show that whether people want to believe it or not JM helps a lot of people all over the world.

You can read more at Joycemeyer.org , all of this information is available under the "about us" tab. If people think the info is false, then bring the evidence and proof (not speculation or heresay) and I will gladly listen.
Jenna

Menomonee Falls, WI

#18 May 29, 2009
Jim-

When you have a large CASH business, how would the IRS know how much of it is reported vs not?

83% of what is spent doing good things around world? 83% of checks coming in, which are documented? How much of her total earnings are cash vs checks?

I'm talking about real transparency.
Jenna

Menomonee Falls, WI

#19 May 29, 2009
Mainstream Media Exposes Joyce Meyer: She Received MILLIONS

God’s Word commands us to expose false Apostles, Prophets and Teachers. I am aware that this subject will be uncomfortable to many, as it was to me when I became aware of it.
We live one hour south of ST. Louis Missouri. Joyce Meyer Ministries is located in ST. Louis, and there is a repulsion and disgust for her extravagant lifestyle here.
Joyce Meyer has been in trouble for violating federal tax exempt status laws. For any non for profit business or ministry to be classified as tax exempt, they must meet certain standards. There is a cap on the salaries of employees or ministers. There is also a limit to the amount of possession’s the ministry can own. Joyce Meyer ministries as also been investigated for income tax evasion. They have battled with Jefferson County over this for quite some time.
Joyce Meyer’s attorneys advised her to sell some of their homes and reduce her salary in order to avoid prosecution. She shifted her money around in order to accomplish this.
Below is an excerpt from the ST. Louis Post Dispatch newspaper.
The ministry’s board of trustees, which is headed by Joyce Meyer, agreed to pay
her a $900,000 annual salary in 2002 and 2003.
The board agreed to give her husband, Dave Meyer, the board’s vice president,
an annual salary of $450,000 in each of those same two years.
The board agreed to provide the couple with free personal use of a corporate
jet and luxury cars, a $2 million home where all bills are paid by the ministry
and a separate $50,000-a-year housing allowance.
The ministry paid $1.475 million to buy three houses for the three Meyer
children.
The board authorized Joyce and Dave Meyer to control a $790,000 fund to be used
at their discretion for bonuses to “executive management.”
The job duties of seven employees of the ministry include sorting gifts
“personally received” for Joyce and David Meyer, including cash and jewelry.
trinityfi.org/press/JoyceMeyer6.html
TV evangelist Joyce Meyer and her family have received millions in salary and
benefits from her worldwide ministry in recent years, according to newly
released records.
The documents, obtained by the Post-Dispatch under Missouri’s Open Records
laws, provide the first public look at how the worldwide broadcasting and
publishing empire has compensated Meyer and her family.
They paint a picture of a minister and her family who have reaped large
financial rewards from the ministry they created and control. Over 20 years,
Joyce Meyer Ministries of Fenton has grown to a $90 million-a-year empire with
TV and radio programs that reach millions of people in about 70 countries.
Among the details included in the financial statements, board minutes and other
documents Meyer provided to the assessor of Jefferson County in a dispute over
the tax-exempt status of its headquarters property.
Jenna

Menomonee Falls, WI

#20 May 29, 2009
JMM smells fishy to me.
justj

Charlotte, NC

#21 May 29, 2009
There is a seperation (as far as income) between the JMM income thru donations and what JM makes from book/audio tapes. What I am trying to figure out is: Dodes JM pay JMM for ad time. Like the time she spends promoting her books/tapes on the TV Show that JMM pays for.
Has anyone seen a brek down about this?
Also, I understand people not being to thrilled about that mansion she has. My question is, what has she done directly in this case that has everybody so angry at her?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gospel Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Amy Grant and Michael W. Smith to Bring Christm... (Sep '16) Apr 16 Yeti 2
News Edmonton's Victory Christian Center in limbo (Aug '12) Apr 16 Paul Yanks - New ... 92
News Madonna plays surprise concert in park for Hill... Mar 29 Hillary got thumped 41
News Joyce Meyer's $23,000 Toilet: A Symbol Of The P... (Nov '07) Mar 27 Amanda 29
Humble Music Feb '17 Anonymous 1
News Stop leads to drug arrest Feb '17 Do not break the law 3
News Weeks, Bynum must meet for mediation next month (Jan '08) Jan '17 UNND 13
More from around the web