Does Madonna still matter?

Apr 29, 2008 Full story: www.salon.com 977

Of Madonna's multiple personalities, the least complex are the best known. But by now, the overly ambitious pop queen and the hands-off sex goddess have become as ho-hum as the insincere crooner of mid-'80s cheeseball ballads was grating. The underappreciated but ultimately more influential Madonna has always been the multifaceted feminist of "Deeper and Deeper," "Papa Don't Preach" and especially "Like a Prayer," who can't control her own desires, doesn't need to control yours, and blames her parents for any faults she cares to admit ("Oh Father").

Full Story
First Prev
of 49
Next Last
BRIDGET

Englewood, CO

#1 Apr 29, 2008
MADONNA'S HAS ALWAYS AND WILL ALWAYS BE A TRAMP.
WHO CARES WHAT SHE'S DOING, WHO SHE'S ADOPTING OR WHO SHE'S MARRYING? I CERTAINLY DON'T. HOPEFULLY SHE'LL GROW OLD QUICK, AND WE WON'T HAVE TO HEAR SO MUCH ABOUT HER.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
live fully
#2 Apr 29, 2008
Not a big fan of Madonna but "Hard Candy" is one of her best album so far.. probably the best album 2008!

Even if she’s not starting any new trends in following the lead of Rihanna, Nelly Furtado, Gwen Stefani and such, Madonna still manages to sound perfectly unique, fresh and edgy in hip hop/urban dance world!

Hard Candy is technically well- produced.
Rick

Kearney, NE

#3 Apr 29, 2008
Bridget maybe you are the tramp and are jealous of Madonna.
Frisbee

Kirkland, WA

#4 Apr 29, 2008
Who?
live fully
#5 Apr 29, 2008
Rick wrote:
Bridget maybe you are the tramp and are jealous of Madonna.
It is quite difficult for someone to enjoy 'hard candy' if she has 'sour grape' in her mouth..:)

“"Raw, But Always Real!"”

Since: Apr 08

St Louis MO

#6 Apr 29, 2008
Read the words that are coming out of my mouth ..... HELL NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! LOL Isn't she like 100 by now?? hahahahaha LOL Just kiddening but seriously nobody cares...

“Bernie Goetz is my hero”

Since: Mar 08

Location hidden

#7 Apr 29, 2008
I have seen some recent pictures of her and they are down right Spooky.

She looks like death warmed over ..No wonder she rode around in a limo looking for "minority" lads to pay to plow her.

No normal person would touch that thing with a vaccinated crow-bar.
Schmetterling

Sacramento, CA

#8 Apr 29, 2008
WHOOOOOOO ???????

“Sabotage!!”

Since: Feb 08

Ruidoso, New Mexico

#9 Apr 29, 2008
She matters only to gay male karaoke enthusiasts.
Guess Who

Las Vegas, NV

#10 Apr 29, 2008
What is meant by does she matter? Of cource she matters...
Guess Who

Las Vegas, NV

#11 Apr 29, 2008
If people would quit looking at her crotch...drugs do ugly things to people.It numbs them for the business...
Pat Kittle

Santa Cruz, CA

#12 Apr 29, 2008
Another insufferably pretentious narcissitic boring squeaky-voiced bimbo poseur, but what else is wrong with her?
Kitty

Mickfield, UK

#13 Apr 30, 2008
lol well she does matter. well she did once matter alot! but now there are new pop sensations and she's just, well, old school. yeah she's still cool but nobody talks about her anymore and she doesn't try and get noticed, like she doesnt do tours or promote hit albums like she used to. so nobody cares, its as easy as that. and she never will be as famous as she used to, she's just slowly fading further and further into the background and to be honest until i saw this forum i forgot all about her, seriously, she needs to do sumthingbig if she wants to be noticed, but obviously she's not that bothered, and neither am i.

Since: Apr 08

Canada

#14 Apr 30, 2008
Until I read the other comments, I genuinely thought the question was a "no-brainer".... "Does Madonna matter???!! It is amusing to read the lame reasons for the oh-my-gosh...."duh" -the "No" answerers to the question.
Where were any of you in the late '70s when she calculatedly blew her closest competion-Cyndia Lauper- out of the water and off the charts. She has consistently enthralled, titilated, and outraged the world. One of her most enchanting quotes is, "I have genuinely forgotten what life was like before I became an empire."
So...please....she's too old??? Too thin??? Too rich??? Which of these do you actually rail against. She is someone you may love/like/hate, but she...and this commentary is proof... continues to grab and maintain our interest whilst she makes music, has children, lives as a transplant in England and watches her bank accounts and investments, not daily as we plebs might, but probably on a less than hourly basis.
She is a force to be reckoned with...and no she doesn't care what you think of her. As she has said, "All publicity, even BAD publicity, is good". The one thing she cannot tolerate is being ignored and I don't think you or I threaten her on that front. Non??
Pat Kittle

Santa Cruz, CA

#15 Apr 30, 2008
ndcurry wrote:
Until I read the other comments, I genuinely thought the question was a "no-brainer".... "Does Madonna matter???!! It is amusing to read the lame reasons for the oh-my-gosh...."duh" -the "No" answerers to the question.
Where were any of you in the late '70s when she calculatedly blew her closest competion-Cyndia Lauper- out of the water and off the charts. She has consistently enthralled, titilated, and outraged the world. One of her most enchanting quotes is, "I have genuinely forgotten what life was like before I became an empire."
So...please....she's too old??? Too thin??? Too rich??? Which of these do you actually rail against. She is someone you may love/like/hate, but she...and this commentary is proof... continues to grab and maintain our interest whilst she makes music, has children, lives as a transplant in England and watches her bank accounts and investments, not daily as we plebs might, but probably on a less than hourly basis.
She is a force to be reckoned with...and no she doesn't care what you think of her. As she has said, "All publicity, even BAD publicity, is good". The one thing she cannot tolerate is being ignored and I don't think you or I threaten her on that front. Non??

OK, she's famous for being famous. Happy now?
JosephMendiola

Barrigada, Guam

#16 Apr 30, 2008
MADONNA = WOT/9-11 > STRUGGLE FOR OWG-NWO, since the 1960's.

D *** NG IT, I HAD AN OLD DREAM OF TRYING TO CHEW/EAT "HARD CANDY" - DIDN'T EVERYBODY [humor]!?

America is presently winning the WOT agz Radical Islam = WAR FOR OWG-NWO in the ME but is still very much capable of being defeated. MADONNA ONCE SAID SHE WANTED TO RULE THE WORLD, AND SO DOES THE ISLAMIST "HIDDEN IMAM-MAHDI" + OTHER RELATED CONQUERORS [e.g. UIGHURS, HIndus, etc.].

JOHN PAUL JONES to OSAMA BIN LADEN, ZAWAHIRI, etc > "YOU HAVE NOT EVEN BEGUN TO FIGHT THE WAR FOR OWG-NWO"! This, like KAMALEN, is just the LITE STUFF - the real + big + most dangerous thingys lies 2010 and beyond, silly boy!
Blond Prince

Chattanooga, TN

#17 Apr 30, 2008
Madonna will always be Madonna, and will always matter.

Forgetting Madonna would be like forgetting Monroe. Some celebrities will never be forgotten, and Madonna is one of those special ones. Most actors, singer, performers or whatevers are one day forgotten, but a few like Madonna can't be.

As Monroe was the 1950s no matter what age she lived to be or what age she would have lived in after or before the 50s, Madonna will always be the 1980s regardless if she likes that or not.

The 80s was a whole decade in American, and World history, and no matter what Nation you go to, if you look up the 1980s, Madonna’s name will come up just like Monroe's name will come up with the 1950s.

Madonna is going through the most difficult reinvention of her career right now whether she knows it or not. It happens to every entertainer at some point. For an example of a slowdown, and then a come back, all one has to do is think of Tina Turner. There for a few years everyone thought her career was over, and then all of the sudden she made a big comeback making more money in just a few years than she had made all the years before.

Bette Davis would be 100 years old this month but no one has forgotten her.

Madonna has many years ahead of her but the next few years will probably seem bumpy, and lonely for her imo She will make a big comeback in her 50s if she wants.

Hollywood has been overly harsh on Madonna. With the right role, and direction, Madonna can act SO LONG AS SHE DOESN'T TRY TO DIRECT HERSELF! I bet Jodie Foster could bring out a great performance in Madonna if those two could get along. I'm not sure how those two personalities would go together, but if Madonna wanted to act in movies, it is my opinion that she should be calling Foster for advice, and begging to get Foster to direct her in film. I believe Foster is a Directing genius, and Madonna has untapped acting talent that could be brought out.

Madonna is never going to be a great singer, and she would probably be the first to admit that but she puts on one hell of a show, entertains, and dances better than anyone. Madonna is really a dancer first and foremost, and a genius businesswoman second.

She has every right to be rich so get over it people.
Annie

Fresno, CA

#18 Apr 30, 2008
She's the reason why we have people like Paris Hilton today.
Back in Madonna's heyday, everyone wondered why she's so famous when she can't sing - and she still can't sing!
All she knows is how to attract attention.
brush lee

United States

#19 Apr 30, 2008
sure she does matter; she farts and it will be in print.
fed up

Nashville, TN

#20 Apr 30, 2008
Has being a feminist ruined her? Most of us who lived during the sixties heard their rants.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 49
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gospel Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Edmonton's Victory Christian Center in limbo (Aug '12) Sep 8 Speaking TRUTH in... 60
Low attendance doesn't stop Bonifay Southern Go... Sep 5 fran 4
Texas' Perry says disparaging tweet unauthorized Sep 1 paddyomalley 1
Carrollton Free Press Standard Letters to the E... Aug '14 thinkabout it 1
Televangelist Joel Osteen shuns lavish lifestyl... (Nov '07) Jul '14 Hot Babe 328
Joyce Meyer's $23,000 Toilet: A Symbol Of The P... (Nov '07) Jul '14 Joe 27
The Dixie Melody Boys at Willards Campground Ju... Jul '14 Tom Dooley 1
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

Gospel People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••