Advocates take complaints about abori...

Advocates take complaints about aboriginal children to United Nations

There are 14 comments on the The Winnipeg Free Press story from Oct 24, 2011, titled Advocates take complaints about aboriginal children to United Nations. In it, The Winnipeg Free Press reports that:

Child rights advocates say they believe shaming Ottawa before the world will lead to concrete improvements for aboriginal children on reserves.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Winnipeg Free Press.

Bobb

Gabriola, Canada

#1 Oct 25, 2011
The natives blame everyone else for their endless list of short comings.The single biggest thing that can be done for native children is to stop natives from having them.It makes me sad to see how the natives treat their kids.You know that those kids have little or no chance of growing up well adjusted.As a former police officer I was involved in several child removals on the reserves.The conditions that the parents let their kids live in are absolutely disgusting.I am thinking that their "culture" should be redefined as apathy and cruelty.It is too easy for the natives to get away with abuses to each other as the government are too cowardly to step in and say enough is enough.
QUITTNER

Toronto, Canada

#2 Oct 25, 2011
1:22 pm, Tuesday, October 25, 2011:
RE: Advocates take complaints about aboriginal children to United Nations
..... I haven't studied this, but maybe it's a case of which government is responsible for what?
..... As I understand it, the Federal Government is responsible for all registered status Indians living on reserves, and the Provincial Governments for all registered status Indians NOT living on reserves. True? False? What about those that are NOT registered? Not status? Who is supposed to look after them? What do the many treaties say about that? Is that a lawyers' paradise to sort out? Who pays them? Do legal costs take too much money that should actually be used for the welfare of Aboriginals? Do ANY provincial laws apply in/on reserves? All that in consideration that these people deserve maximum freedom and liberty! To mistreat their kids too?
..... By the way, as far as I know, the definition of the word "native" is "born there". That should apply to non-Indians as well! Use "Aboriginals" instead of "natives"?
paul SHYKORA arts

Calgary, Canada

#3 Oct 25, 2011
...Why are they ''blameing'' everyone ..but..themselves,here...Why?? ...eh..POINTING...eh..
paul SHYKORA arts

Calgary, Canada

#7 Oct 27, 2011
whitetrashgang wrote:
Natives are a violent stoneage people,just like blacks
..Well NOT everyone,here...eh...Be fair...

Since: Aug 12

Winnipeg, Canada

#8 Aug 9, 2012
Bobb wrote:
The natives blame everyone else for their endless list of short comings.The single biggest thing that can be done for native children is to stop natives from having them.It makes me sad to see how the natives treat their kids.You know that those kids have little or no chance of growing up well adjusted.As a former police officer I was involved in several child removals on the reserves.The conditions that the parents let their kids live in are absolutely disgusting.I am thinking that their "culture" should be redefined as apathy and cruelty.It is too easy for the natives to get away with abuses to each other as the government are too cowardly to step in and say enough is enough.
I was raised by whites thanks to the sixties scoop and i was abused in the home, at school and on the street in that fine white nieghborhood. You are grossly misinformed and selective in your condemnation of only one " race". White skinned people kill, maim, steal, abuse and enslave others so why say its only indians? Why incite hatred based on race? What kinda policeman were you? Probably a mean angry hateful one judging by what you have posted. I hope you are retired.

Winnipeg, Canada

#9 Aug 9, 2012
Bobb wrote:
oh yeah- by suggesting that native children not even be born how can you believe your any better than a abusive parent? you are advocating the death and non existence of children based on race. you are a monster who wants to kill children. and yet you point the finger. It is YOU who have suggested that native children not be born. it is YOU who has suggested grievious harm on them by stating you don't even want them born. shame on you. It is YOU that presents the greatest danger and problem facing natives today. Your hatred and advocacy of death is appalling and sick. once again, shame on you.

Winnipeg, Canada

#10 Aug 9, 2012
whitetrashgang wrote:
Natives are a violent stoneage people,just like blacks
sez the guy who admits he's in a "gang".
Anon

Winnipeg, Canada

#12 Aug 10, 2012
rhiannonE wrote:
<quoted text>
oh yeah- by suggesting that native children not even be born how can you believe your any better than a abusive parent? you are advocating the death and non existence of children based on race. you are a monster who wants to kill children. and yet you point the finger. It is YOU who have suggested that native children not be born. it is YOU who has suggested grievious harm on them by stating you don't even want them born. shame on you. It is YOU that presents the greatest danger and problem facing natives today. Your hatred and advocacy of death is appalling and sick. once again, shame on you.
There is a tremendous difference between "killing children, greivous harm and advocating death" which you suggest, and advocating for responsible parenthood, or use of birth control, which I believe the original poster was suggesting. Please keep your comments in perspective.
rhiannonE

Winnipeg, Canada

#14 Aug 22, 2012
Anon wrote:
<quoted text>
There is a tremendous difference between "killing children, greivous harm and advocating death" which you suggest, and advocating for responsible parenthood, or use of birth control, which I believe the original poster was suggesting. Please keep your comments in perspective.
I guess I've misunderstood all these years when I've repeatedly heard that Natives only have kids for the welfare cheque. Or that Native families are incapable of knowing how to love thier children. These statements are never challenged and its about time they were challenged. I'm sorry you find my post so offensive but what goes around comes around I guess. Don't dish it out if you cannot take it. Controlling reproductive freedom of a racial group is listed as a crime of genocide. OK???
rhiannonE

Winnipeg, Canada

#15 Aug 22, 2012
controlling reproductive freedom within a racial group is one of the crimes listed for Genocide. no exceptions.
Hun

Burnaby, Canada

#16 Aug 23, 2012
The natives reproduce starting at age twelve and do not stop until the well is dry.It is easy to have a dozen kids when you bear no responsibility for raising them.The natives cost taxpayers billions of dollars a year due to irresponsible behaviour.Do not take my word for it,ask doctors,nurses,ambulance attendants,ploice officers,social workers etc.My nieces are natives and as a result of not being raised on a reserve both are highly educated and do well in their lives.No matter how loud the likes of rhiannonE holler the fact remains that the natives are a burden on Canada.
Red Bone

Burnaby, Canada

#17 Aug 23, 2012
The only people that think the natives are wonderful are natives and politicians that are paid to say it.
Anon

Winnipeg, Canada

#18 Aug 23, 2012
rhiannonE wrote:
<quoted text>
I guess I've misunderstood all these years when I've repeatedly heard that Natives only have kids for the welfare cheque. Or that Native families are incapable of knowing how to love thier children. These statements are never challenged and its about time they were challenged. I'm sorry you find my post so offensive but what goes around comes around I guess. Don't dish it out if you cannot take it. Controlling reproductive freedom of a racial group is listed as a crime of genocide. OK???
I think you're confusing "controlling reproductive freedom" with responsible parenthood. Advocating responsible parenthood is not genocide, it's smart policy....and that applies to all races equally.
Terry Nelson

Winnipeg, Canada

#20 Sep 15, 2012
some ignorant comments here.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gospel Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Gospel vocalist Tommy Ellison dies (Jun '09) Sep 20 Singing heart 3
Wien Music Festival 2017 Sep 19 MRF 1
News The Forgotten Mother of Rock-and-RollBy Janice ... Sep 11 Andrew 1
News Amy Grant and Michael W. Smith to Bring Christm... Sep 5 My Ninja Wears Black 1
Lago di Garda Music Festival 2017 Aug 31 MRF 1
Cracovia Music Festival 2017 Aug 31 MRF 1
Praha Music Festival 2017 Aug 31 MRF 1
More from around the web