Musical memories: Remembering KCs Cowtown Ballroom

Mar 7, 2008 Full story: KansasCity.com 16

“It was hotter than holy hell in there”

Some music halls book rock legends. Others are legend.CBGBs in New York.Whisky a Go Go in Los Angeles.The Fillmore West in San Francisco.In Kansas City, on July 16, 1971, a hippie kid out of Rockport, Mo. via KansasCity.com

Full Story
clc

United States

#1 Mar 22, 2008
How about Sly & the Family Stone?

Since: Jul 07

Kansas

#2 Mar 22, 2008
Can't read the rest of the article.

Since: Feb 07

Village of Claycomo, MO

#3 Mar 23, 2008
clc wrote:
How about Sly & the Family Stone?
I know they played Freedom Palace, but I don't recall them playing Cowtown.
The ones I recall playing at Cowtown were:
Flying Burrito Brothers
Poco
Hot Tuna
Frank Zappa
Kinky Friedman
Mott The Hoople
Alice Cooper
Black Oak Arkansas
Nitty Gritty Dirt Band
Freddy King
and that's about I all I remember, but there was many others.
Do you remember the "astroturf" at the Freedom Palace?
My favorite venue back then was Memorial Hall in K.C, KS. I recall seeing the Grateful Dead opening up for The Iron Butterfly in February, 1969 or '68.
How about "The Place" in Westport (now occupied by Westport Flea Market)? Moby Grape and I think Jefferson Airplane played there and of course so did local favorites Mystic Number National Bank, KC Grits and Marshmallow Monorail.

Kansas

#4 Mar 23, 2008
I fell in love with Timothy B. Schmidt of Poco at Cowtown. He was oh so yummy back then.
Jim D

United States

#5 Mar 28, 2008
"Are you ready for some Rock & Roll?" shouted the announcer and we cheered "Yes!", three times. Then he announced there would be a comedian, first. It was Steve Martin with arrow and balloons. After his act, we applauded and after he walked off stage, he was yelling things like, "That guy is great." He joined the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band on banjo.
On a rainy Halloween Night the Steve Miller Band put on two shows. Three of us road 2 motorcycles in the rain for the midnight show. There was a costume contest and one of the contestants was in a full gorilla suit, but he did not win. After the contest the others joint and the syringe left the stage, but the Gorilla stayed. The SMB walked up on stage and started playing. The gorilla took off his mask and it was Steve Miller. We were in the balcony and fell asleep during the concert. Ha.
Johnnycat

AOL

#6 Apr 15, 2008
Robin Trower first US tour.
Rory Gallagher, both one dollar shows, incredible.
Loggins & Messina
Alice Cooper, of course.
timmy1953

Warsaw, MO

#7 May 13, 2008
Savoy brown, Hot tuna with the then unknown Ozark mountain daredevils, and Steve Miller. These were all great acts that you could see for $5 or under. This was a wonderful place, setting on the floor, joints passing by. Everybody were friends.
THE Frito Bandito

Kansas City, MO

#8 Aug 25, 2008
The Flying Burrito Brothers was originally scheduled for Freedom Palace and for some reason ended up at Cowtown.
I saw Whizzo The Clown emcee a halloween night show at Cowtown with Poco, boy Whizzo got drunk that night!

Kansas

#9 Aug 26, 2008
Whizzo drunk? Say it ain't so!!!
THE Frito Bandito

Kansas City, MO

#10 Aug 28, 2008
Sad but true, Frank was a cool dude and would give you the shirt off his back, but my uncle used to run the old Milgram Grocery Liquor Dept. back in the 60's over off Wilson over in Old Northeast area of KC,MO, about where the Price Chopper is now, and he was a steady customer there, even though he lived over in Shawnee (I believe). He was a fine firefighter as well as a GREAT entertainer and musician.
And he had some fine Whizzo Dust as we all remember from his Whizzo's Wonderland TV show!
blah blah

United States

#11 Aug 29, 2008
blah blah blah
barry

Kansas City, MO

#12 Feb 10, 2013
Johnnycat wrote:
Robin Trower first US tour.
Rory Gallagher, both one dollar shows, incredible.
Loggins & Messina
Alice Cooper, of course.
Trower was a no show bus broke down inthe snow.Offered refunds!!! It was wild 10cc stayed and played for hours to maybe 50 of us .Great show turned me on to Tourist Bloody Tourist album.Spent a lot of time enjoying the cowtown world. Shame we all grew up and the world caught up with us.
barry

Kansas City, MO

#13 Feb 10, 2013
its a beautifulday,Jesse collin Young,,Climax Blues band.BTO....Golden Earrring..Steve Matrin and the dirt band....Thanks so much to the memories the girls met and the fun had..
xxxx

Kansas City, MO

#14 Feb 11, 2013
It's A Beautiful Day twice. Those were some fun days.
ken

Dallas, TX

#15 May 3, 2013
How about peter and paul, jethro tull,dave mason, paul butterfield and there was another big blues band i thimk w/ ec but i lost the name in a psychodelic haze.
Village Idiot wrote:
<quoted text>
I know they played Freedom Palace, but I don't recall them playing Cowtown.
The ones I recall playing at Cowtown were:
Flying Burrito Brothers
Poco
Hot Tuna
Frank Zappa
Kinky Friedman
Mott The Hoople
Alice Cooper
Black Oak Arkansas
Nitty Gritty Dirt Band
Freddy King
and that's about I all I remember, but there was many others.
Do you remember the "astroturf" at the Freedom Palace?
My favorite venue back then was Memorial Hall in K.C, KS. I recall seeing the Grateful Dead opening up for The Iron Butterfly in February, 1969 or '68.
How about "The Place" in Westport (now occupied by Westport Flea Market)? Moby Grape and I think Jefferson Airplane played there and of course so did local favorites Mystic Number National Bank, KC Grits and Marshmallow Monorail.
ken

Dallas, TX

#16 May 3, 2013
timmy1953 wrote:
Savoy brown, Hot tuna with the then unknown Ozark mountain daredevils, and Steve Miller. These were all great acts that you could see for $5 or under. This was a wonderful place, setting on the floor, joints passing by. Everybody were friends.
"yeah brother many times. THE Best memories.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Country Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
International country music singer George Hamil... 2 hr Hmmm 3
Sheriff is the star of reality show (Oct '11) 18 hr Dre 11
Bobby Bare Country Music Singer from Ironton, Ohio (Mar '12) Fri mbailey 32
Stefani Schaefer (Oct '09) Fri Bvarrecchia 55
Dangerous Motorcycle Gang in Cincinnati (Aug '09) Thu Dianne 8,075
Photo Gallery: Kellye Cash SheppardPHOTO Galler... Sep 18 ChopperBlades 1
Randy Travis' name no longer on 'Welcome to Mar... Sep 18 PawPaw Godwin 21
•••
•••

Country People Search