Jehovah's Witnesses 'a cruel cult'

Jehovah's Witnesses 'a cruel cult'

There are 108 comments on the theage.com.au story from Mar 15, 2013, titled Jehovah's Witnesses 'a cruel cult'. In it, theage.com.au reports that:

Christian sect the Jehovah's Witnesses - with 64,000 active 'disciples' in Australia - are a cruel religion with no soul, according to Melbourne cultbuster Raphael Aron.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at theage.com.au.

First Prev
of 6
Next Last

“Family comes First”

Since: May 11

Location hidden

#2 Mar 15, 2013

“Family comes First”

Since: May 11

Location hidden

#3 Mar 15, 2013
Oops- apologies, I didn't see the link in the header.
True Christian witness

Slick, OK

#4 Mar 15, 2013
Jesus said you had to count the cost, what it would take to be a true Christian or his follower. He also said to take your torture stake or cross and follow him.

Unless you can endure as a true Christian to worship Almighty God Jehovah as Jesus did, you will lose your life. The early Christians went into the arena to face wild animals or were put to death for their faith in God's word.

(Matthew 10:35-39). .&#82 39;.For I came to cause division, with a man against his father, and a daughter against her mother, and a young wife against her mother-in-law. 36 Indeed, a man’s enemies will be persons of his own household. 37 He that has greater affection for father or mother than for me is not worthy of me; and he that has greater affection for son or daughter than for me is not worthy of me. 38 And whoever does not accept his torture stake and follow after me is not worthy of me. 39 He that finds his soul will lose it, and he that loses his soul for my sake will find it.

Since: Nov 09

Location hidden

#5 Mar 15, 2013
True Christian witness wrote:
Jesus said you had to count the cost, what it would take to be a true Christian or his follower. He also said to take your torture stake or cross and follow him.
Unless you can endure as a true Christian to worship Almighty God Jehovah as Jesus did, you will lose your life. The early Christians went into the arena to face wild animals or were put to death for their faith in God's word.
(Matthew 10:35-39). .&#82 39;.For I came to cause division, with a man against his father, and a daughter against her mother, and a young wife against her mother-in-law. 36 Indeed, a man’s enemies will be persons of his own household. 37 He that has greater affection for father or mother than for me is not worthy of me; and he that has greater affection for son or daughter than for me is not worthy of me. 38 And whoever does not accept his torture stake and follow after me is not worthy of me. 39 He that finds his soul will lose it, and he that loses his soul for my sake will find it.
The bible says that it is in Jesus name we are saved.
Acts 2:12
Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.
Everyone knows that name is Jesus Christ.
And please explain why it is that you and other JWs believe they are the only ones willing to give their lives for their faith in the Lord? There are many who have lost their lives for their beliefs who are not witnesses. There are Pastors, Preachers, Ministers, etc in prison right now due to not denouncing their Beliefs in the Lord.

“BIBLE TRUTHS *NEVER* CHANGE”

Since: Aug 09

LET GO AND LET GOD

#6 Mar 15, 2013
"Mr Aron says shunning is "draconian, cruel and callous." Religion and faith were supposed to provide support, comfort and warmth but shunning could crush self-esteem and give feelings of guilt, especially in children."

"Mr Aron, who has written two books on cults and has investigated them for thirty years, said the Jehovah's Witnesses were an outwardly benign group but they withheld information from potential recruits."

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/national/jehovahs-wi...

I feel that Mr Aron's article is well written and factual.....and the gov'ts everywhere should be investigating these "cults and quasi-religions" more keenly in this day and age.....especially when these members go directly to people's homes to deliver their unique, misleading and faulty teachings as "gospel truths".
True Christian witness

Slick, OK

#7 Mar 15, 2013
Jehovah's witnesses expect persecution and we are not afraid of what man can do to us, we cannot be separated from Almighty God Jehovah's love or our relationship with Jesus as true Christians, willing to die for our faith at the hands of enemies of Jehovah's heavenly Kingdom government. Those enemies are friends of this world's governments and have the mark of 666 on them.
Revelation 13

All fakes or false Christians, the people who pretend to be Christian will experience their destruction when the Great Tribulation starts, the return of Jesus as God's executioner will start with the Harlot or all false religions and Churches. Revelation 19

Only those who are approved and acceptable to Jesus as our heavenly Judge will survive the end of this unrighteous world, and only those survivors will experience salvation. Revelation 7:14

No one is saved until you are safely through the Great Tribulation and Armageddon, the final war on Satans world. You must be an obedient and loyal subject of God's Kingdom government. Isaiah 9:6
Daniel7

Reno, NV

#8 Mar 15, 2013
For someone who has written two books about cults and has “investigated” Jehovah’s Witnesses, how little Mr. Aron seems to know of the issues he has raised. People are disfellowshipped because they are unrepentant violators of Bible principles.(1 Cor. 5:13; 6:9, 10) I’m sure Mr. Aron would agree that one bad apple does spoil the whole bunch. Would he allow his children to have friends who abused drugs or committed theft? Maybe Mr. Aron can inform us about what is being withheld from “potential recruits”. The Bibles teachings on things such as Christmas, Easter and birthdays are plainly spelled out to those we study with and it doesn’t take much research to find out these things are of pagan in organ. Mr. Aron, who is an Observant Jew should go back and reread his scriptures, especially Gen. 9:4; Lev. 3:17; 7:26; Deut. 12:16; 12:23 in the case of the use of blood, and Eccl. 7:1 on the matter of birthdays. Mr. Aron claims we are “not allowed” to do various things, making it sound as though we are captives of some sort. We study The Bible (in my case The King James version for two years with the Witnesses AND on my own) so we can make an informed choice, and adopt these as our values. NO! Mr. Aron’s article IS NOT well written and is full of prejudice and hysteria and he uses disgruntled, vindictive ex-witnesses as his source material.
jace

Woodbridge, VA

#9 Mar 15, 2013
True Christian witness wrote:
Jesus said you had to count the cost, what it would take to be a true Christian or his follower. He also said to take your torture stake or cross and follow him.
Unless you can endure as a true Christian to worship Almighty God Jehovah as Jesus did, you will lose your life. The early Christians went into the arena to face wild animals or were put to death for their faith in God's word.
(Matthew 10:35-39). .&#82 39;.For I came to cause division, with a man against his father, and a daughter against her mother, and a young wife against her mother-in-law. 36 Indeed, a man’s enemies will be persons of his own household. 37 He that has greater affection for father or mother than for me is not worthy of me; and he that has greater affection for son or daughter than for me is not worthy of me. 38 And whoever does not accept his torture stake and follow after me is not worthy of me. 39 He that finds his soul will lose it, and he that loses his soul for my sake will find it.
Do you agree with the WT EDitorial staff's teaching that in the last 30-40-50 yrs that the JW denomnation is the only Denomnation that God has Selected folks from to Go to Heaven?

thanks
jace

Woodbridge, VA

#10 Mar 15, 2013
Daniel7 wrote:
For someone who has written two books about cults and has “investigated” Jehovah’s Witnesses, how little Mr. Aron seems to know of the issues he has raised. People are disfellowshipped because they are unrepentant violators of Bible principles.(1 Cor. 5:13; 6:9, 10) I’m sure Mr. Aron would agree that one bad apple does spoil the whole bunch. Would he allow his children to have friends who abused drugs or committed theft? Maybe Mr. Aron can inform us about what is being withheld from “potential recruits”. The Bibles teachings on things such as Christmas, Easter and birthdays are plainly spelled out to those we study with and it doesn’t take much research to find out these things are of pagan in organ. Mr. Aron, who is an Observant Jew should go back and reread his scriptures, especially Gen. 9:4; Lev. 3:17; 7:26; Deut. 12:16; 12:23 in the case of the use of blood, and Eccl. 7:1 on the matter of birthdays. Mr. Aron claims we are “not allowed” to do various things, making it sound as though we are captives of some sort. We study The Bible (in my case The King James version for two years with the Witnesses AND on my own) so we can make an informed choice, and adopt these as our values. NO! Mr. Aron’s article IS NOT well written and is full of prejudice and hysteria and he uses disgruntled, vindictive ex-witnesses as his source material.
HI Dan

I pose to same question to you that I asked of another poster

#####

Do you agree with the WT EDitorial staff's teaching that in the last 30-40-50 yrs that the JW denomnation is the only Denomnation that God has Selected folks from to Go to Heaven?

thanks
little lamb

Park Orchards, Australia

#11 Mar 15, 2013
Jesus said " you are my friends if you do what I am commanding you

And he says that ' he is a friend sticking closer then a brother '

He also states " no one has greater love then this , that someone should surrender his life in behalf of his friends,"

Then he tells us " He goes to prepare a place for us, that where he is we will be with him"

I can only see friendship with Jesus as the criteria of being with him..

and nowhere does it say only a particular organization is the criteria, to be with Christ.
YAHOOOOOOOOOO

Wausau, WI

#12 Mar 15, 2013
jehovah witnesses are very much a dangerous cult which people need to be aware of who's really at their doors ,"Wolves in Sheep Clothing "!!!!!
Daniel7

Reno, NV

#13 Mar 15, 2013
jace wrote:
<quoted text>
HI Dan
I pose to same question to you that I asked of another poster
#####
Do you agree with the WT EDitorial staff's teaching that in the last 30-40-50 yrs that the JW denomnation is the only Denomnation that God has Selected folks from to Go to Heaven?
thanks
Hi Jace, I can only tell you what The Bible teach's:
First, not everyone worthy of everlasting life goes to Heaven.

Matthew 5:5 Blessed are the meek, for they shall inherit the earth. NKJ

Ephesians 4:5 one Lord, one faith, one baptism, AS

Matthew 7:13,14 "Enter by the narrow gate; for the gate is wide and the way is easy, that leads to destruction, and those who enter by it are many. 14. For the gate is narrow and the way is hard, that leads to life, and those who find it are few. RS

Revelation 18:4 And I heard another voice out of heaven say:“Get out of her,(Babylon The Great/False worship) my people, if you do not want to share with her in her sins, and if you do not want to receive part of her plagues.

All these scriptures speak of one true way of worshiping.
YAHOOOOOOOOOO

Wausau, WI

#15 Mar 15, 2013
Dr Shrink wrote:
this is plain truth that JW organization are only mouth runers not love,and cruel cold from watchtower teachings they are not only brain washed,but also behave like wind up lunatics,never gave helpful hand to those in very urgent needs
Past 32 years as Jw I do have very bad life experience, from Lies,take advantage,false friendship pf so called brothers, to libel behaviour,
and strange far away smiles
THERE IS IN USA AMONG JW SAME LIKE GERMANY POLAND,OR EUROPA
I DON'T SEE SUCH ORGANIZE GROUP ORGANIZATION ONLY ENTERING KINGDOM OF GOD OR NEW HEAVEN AND NEW EARTH
THEY CAN CHEAT FELLOW BROTHERS AND SISTERS BUT ARE NOT ABLE TO CHEAP ALMIGHTY GOD WHO REQUIRE FROM HIS CHILDREN ACTIVE LOVE AGAPE, NOT ONLY FULL EMPTY MOUTHS
THIS posting is Fabulous !!!!!
This is 100% accurate ...
Thanks for posting ..:)

Since: Nov 09

Location hidden

#16 Mar 16, 2013
True Christian witness wrote:
Jehovah's witnesses expect persecution and we are not afraid of what man can do to us, we cannot be separated from Almighty God Jehovah's love or our relationship with Jesus as true Christians, willing to die for our faith at the hands of enemies of Jehovah's heavenly Kingdom government. Those enemies are friends of this world's governments and have the mark of 666 on them.
Revelation 13
All fakes or false Christians, the people who pretend to be Christian will experience their destruction when the Great Tribulation starts, the return of Jesus as God's executioner will start with the Harlot or all false religions and Churches. Revelation 19
Only those who are approved and acceptable to Jesus as our heavenly Judge will survive the end of this unrighteous world, and only those survivors will experience salvation. Revelation 7:14
No one is saved until you are safely through the Great Tribulation and Armageddon, the final war on Satans world. You must be an obedient and loyal subject of God's Kingdom government. Isaiah 9:6
I am very sorry to tell you this, but yes we are saved before all of this happens, The bible says so. In John 3:16-18 it tells us this...

15That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life.

16For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

17For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

18He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.

When the jailor ask Paul and Silas, what he needed to do to be saved..
Acts 16:
30 He then brought them out and asked, "Sirs, what must I do to be saved?"
31 They replied, "Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved--you and your household."

He did not say, but you first have to survive tribulations, he said, YOU WILL BE SAVED. Just as the verses in John says, Believe and you will be SAVED. Don't add to scripture what is not there.

Right now in Iran, Saeed Abedini, 32 is being prosecuted for his faith in Jesus.
His wife, Najmeh, says he has suffered beatings during interrogation and has expressed fears for his life in letters to her.
"This is the process in my life today: one day I am told I will be freed and allowed to see my kids on Christmas (which was a lie) and the next day I am told I will hang for my faith in Jesus," Mr Abedini, a father-of-two, wrote in one letter. "One day there are intense pains after beatings in interrogations, the next day they are nice to you and offer you candy."
Mr Abdini, who converted to Christianity at the age of 20, was building an orphanage near the city of Rasht on the Caspian Sea, fuelled by a belief that the Bible teaches helping widows and orphans, according to his wife.

He was detained in 2009 but later released after agreeing to sign a commitment not to engage in religious activities such as working in underground churches.

Christians are persecuted for their faith in the Lord, but stand strong.

Jesus will judge those who stand firm and strong for him during times like this will be saved. Carrying a name of a religion does not save you, nor does belonging to any organization, it is how we show our love and belief in the Lord that does. If you believe there is any other ways to gain salvation, you need to reread the bible.
True Christian witness

Slick, OK

#17 Mar 16, 2013
All people who misapply Scriptures believe their lie, they enjoy their dream.
Reality

United States

#18 Mar 16, 2013
True Christian witness wrote:
All people who misapply Scriptures believe their lie, they enjoy their dream.
This especially applies to Jehovah's Witnesses.
True Christian witness

Slick, OK

#19 Mar 16, 2013
Jehovah's witnesses will keep awake and enduring real life in these last days of this unrighteous world, since we are the only religion united world wide as a spiritual family.

(1 Thessalonians 5:6, 7).&#8239;.&#8239;.So, then, let us not sleep on as the rest do, but let us stay awake and keep our senses.
hMMMMM

Aurora, IL

#20 Mar 16, 2013
Mr Aron, a psychologist, counsellor and director of Melbourne's Cult Counselling Australia, said the Jehovah's Witnesses had a policy of "shunning" members who left or wanted to leave by cutting them off from family members who remained.

"I am still waiting for a justification for someone to be able to rip away a five or six year old child from their extended family because Mum or Dad have decided to leave the Jehovah's Witnesses," he said.
Advertisement

Former members say shunning can involve bullying, threats, harassment and stalking to lure the 'apostate', or lapsed member, back. The religion's scripture magazine The Watchtower describes 'apostates' as "mentally diseased" outcasts who "seek to infect others."

Mr Aron says shunning is "draconian, cruel and callous." Religion and faith were supposed to provide support, comfort and warmth but shunning could crush self-esteem and give feelings of guilt, especially in children.

Late last year the federal government set up a body called the Australian Charities and Not For Profits Commission (ACNC) to regulate charities with tax-exemptions. It can de-register charities. A treasury spokesman said the government could soon redefine charities and boost their requirement for 'public benefit.'

"At the moment groups like the Jehovah's Witnesess and Scientology are subsidised by the taxpayer," Senator Xenophon said. He said the French government's cultbusting agency Miviludes had been effective.

Victoria's current state inquiry into how churches handle child sex abuse has submissions from former Jehovah's Witnesses. One includes allegations of rape, sexual assault, blackmail and death threats. Others include allegations of paedophilia.

A spokesman for the church in Australia, Sydney solicitor Vincent Toole, dismissed the allegations and said shunning was a"myth."

Mr Aron, who has written two books on cults and has investigated them for thirty years, said the Jehovah's Witnesses were an outwardly benign group but they withheld information from potential recruits. Jehovah's Witnesses cannot celebrate Christmas, Easter or birthdays. They are not allowed to have blood transfusions, sing the natiuonal anthem or salute the national flag.

"They come to your door on a Sunday morning and you have a wonderful discussion about God but they never tell you that once entrenched in the religion you may never be able to say happy birthday to your children again."

They don't celebrate birthdays because they say there are no birthdays in the Bible, which Aron, an observant Jew, maintains is not true. "There's no Moomba in the Bible either," he says. "And no football. Does that mean we shouldn't do those things either?"

Jehovah's Witnesses believe they have God's messages to themselves, that all other religions are wrong, that the end of the world will come and only those in 'The Truth' will survive. They have predicted the end of the world five times. They also believe Satan has ruled the earth since 1914.

Daniel7

Reno, NV

#21 Mar 16, 2013
Well, apparently "hMMMMM" ether hasn't read my post (please see above) or chooses to ignore it and more importantly the scriptures sighted, and appeals to people with the same prejudice and hysteria that Mr. Aron does. "hMMMMM" tries to condemn an enter group of honest, hardworking, tax paying Christians, who use their time and resources (w/o pay) to help others become the same, by the actions of a few "bad apples". Some more scriptures that apply:

1 Timothy 6:4 "he is puffed up [with pride], not understanding anything, but being mentally diseased over questionings and debates about words. From these things spring envy, strife, abusive speeches, wicked suspicions," NWT

1 Timothy 6:4 "he is a conceited ignoramus with a morbid appetite for discussions and controversies which lead to envy, quarreling, abuse, base suspicions," William's New Testament

Jesus' words at Matt. 10:35-39 are quoted by "True Christian Witness" above.

Since: Nov 09

Location hidden

#23 Mar 17, 2013
True Christian witness wrote:
All people who misapply Scriptures believe their lie, they enjoy their dream.
So you are saying that the GB aka F&DS enjoy their dreams?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Classical Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News 'A dark future for all religious freedom': In R... 3 hr DR SOS 174
News Hate campaign against Jehovah's Witnesses - why? (Aug '06) 9 hr Spike 2,328
News Jehovah's Witnesses look in other direction 20 hr Bobby 237
News Leah Remini's A&E Series May Take on Jehovah's ... Tue red blood relative 208
News Quebec coroner says Jehovah's Witnesses died af... Nov 18 red blood relative 18
News Jehovah's Witnesses sell The Towers, a storied ... Nov 17 Well Well 22
News Chelsea Manning Headlines New Yorker Festival Nov 16 lavon affair 2
More from around the web