Wantagh group seeks $28,000 refund for failed concert

Full story: Newsday

Organizers of a campaign to fund student sports and activities in the Wantagh school district acknowledged yesterday that they are seeking to recoup an estimated $28,000 used to finance a much-anticipated ...
Comments
1 - 20 of 36 Comments Last updated Apr 2, 2012
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Albert

Denville, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 26, 2008

Judged:

Great effort by these good parents !!!
Poet

Huntington Station, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 26, 2008

Judged:

Sounds Fishy, seems like someone in Wantaghs pockets got fatter, Criminals are all around us, and it starts with these parents
Mike R Wantagh NY

Bronxville, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 26, 2008

Judged:

The SOS has done a fantastic job. Mary Hall has worked endlessly to overcome tremendous obstacles and reach unprecedented goals, and giving children opportunities which would not have occured if not for the SOS. Thank you Mrs Hall.
Show me the MONEY

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 26, 2008

Judged:

Others identified the promoter as Troy Kemp, head of a Wantagh-based organization, Pathlighter, that sponsors Christian music events. Kemp could not be reached at his office yesterday afternoon.

Probably in Atlantic City.
Show me the MONEY

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 26, 2008

Judged:

Mike R Wantagh NY wrote:
The SOS has done a fantastic job. Mary Hall has worked endlessly to overcome tremendous obstacles and reach unprecedented goals, and giving children opportunities which would not have occured if not for the SOS. Thank you Mrs Hall.
Is she the one who gave Troy Kemp $ 28,000.00?
time to audit the books.
Mike R Wantagh NY

Bronxville, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 26, 2008

Did you miss this paragraph?

In Beverly Hills, a spokesman for the William Morris Agency acknowledged that fees had been paid Velasquez and another singer, Krystal Meyers

Obviously the fees were paid. Maybe the Agency were in on the scam too.... please...
SHOW me the MONEY

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 26, 2008

Judged:

28,000.00 GRAND!!

TIME TO AUDIT THE BOOKS for SOS.
James

New York, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 26, 2008

Books, I'm sure, are accurate. If there is foul play, wouldn't it have surfaced with the (Over $400G raised already?) The concert was a dud, plain and simple.
1234 Anonymous

Hempstead, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 26, 2008

Judged:

Show me the MONEY wrote:
<quoted text>
Is she the one who gave Troy Kemp $ 28,000.00?
time to audit the books.
Yes agreeded time to audit the books!!!!!
If the Concert was cancelled the performers still have to get paid., which is fine but how much were they to receive and where is the rest of the money??? That's what NEWSDAY needs to find out. Time to AUDIT and make public the WantaghSOS books.. Come on Newsday you can do it!!!!
Show me the MONEY

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 26, 2008

28k? WHAT else was wasted?
Money lost or stolen

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 28, 2008

Who sold/issued the tickets?
How is it known how many tickets were sold?
Could the promoter have kept the proceeds from tickets sales without verification by SOS?
Jack

Brooklyn, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 28, 2008

Mike R Wantagh NY wrote:
You're giving Mary Hall far too much credit. There are many others involved who have done most of the heavy lifting if you will- If it makes her feel good to take the credit then let her.

All these hardcore S.O.S. folks will tell you that they're all about the community when in reality they're all about their own children first and the community second- Ask Mary Hall if she'd be organizing car washes if her son wasn't an athlete with the potential to gain some sort of college scholarship ?

Yes, they're doing a good thing in raising this needed money, however, we all know that in reality they're selfish, power-hungry people doing this for themselves-

The biggest question should be...what is the S.O.S. doing to ensure the budget passes next year ?
Experience

New York, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 28, 2008

Kemp, does lots of things on Long Island, for instance helping battered women, supporting local christian charities and holding concerts in Rikers Island free of charge. He is a community activist and friend to many charities. I know it is not him who failed this and know for a fact the Tilles wasnt paid py the promoter because its not the promoters obligation..it is the charity who is funding it. Sounds to me like it was broken down by others maybe Wantagh SOS? This promoter has helped the very needy and not just feed the budget of a school system that badly needs auditing and correction.
Experience

New York, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 28, 2008

Judged:

28,000 first is not the exactr number wantagh sos put out it was lower

Second Artist fees paid
Bands airline tix paid
Bands Meals paid
Advertising radio paid
Tilles non refundable Deposit paid

The money Wantagh sos put into it is much less than they needed to in order to fufil obligations of concert

DOnt hear anyone crying about that

Show me the MONEY

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 28, 2008

Did the Teacher's Union help out?

Not a chance.
Babs

Brooklyn, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 28, 2008

Show me the MONEY wrote:
Did the Teacher's Union help out?
Not a chance.
The union contributed a total of 20,000, which included 15,000 of professional devleopment funds and an additional 5,000 contribution.
what about it

Auburn, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 29, 2008

There has been a small group of sos members that have been asking for open books for months.
Mary and her crew told them to shut up.
Larry K

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 29, 2008

The fundraising event featuring Jaci Velasquez, a Grammy-nominated Christian contemporary singer

Why is a school hosting a Christian singer?

Separation of church and state!

And besides, kids aren't going to go in droves to watch a Christian singer, so you could predict a failure beforehand!
astonished

Brooklyn, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 29, 2008

the Wantagh sos is a scam! It is being run by parents who pushed for a bond to build athletic facilities that will surpass every other comparably sized high school and then voted against the budget that was set to start paying back the money they borrowed to build the facilities. They try to divert everyone's attention from the fact that the spike in their school's budget occurred as a result of their misguided priorities. They are responsible- there are no victims there.

Their district is on austerity, yet they are constructing a new gym and installed a new turf field.

How is anyone falling for their nonsense?

It's unbelievable.
astonished

Brooklyn, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 29, 2008

Larry K wrote:
The fundraising event featuring Jaci Velasquez, a Grammy-nominated Christian contemporary singer
Why is a school hosting a Christian singer?
Separation of church and state!
And besides, kids aren't going to go in droves to watch a Christian singer, so you could predict a failure beforehand!
Concert WAS NOT for the kids. Take one guess as to the religious beliefs of some of the SOS members.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••