Remembering hard times and the Calvary Church

Feb 3, 2009 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Cape May County Herald

How could I ever forget a memorable week at Calvary Seaside House, in Stone Harbor! My brother and I were six or seven years old when the crash of the stock market in 1929 wrecked havoc.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 9 of9
Barbara Pede Moore

Philadelphia, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 17, 2009

My father's family spent many summers at Calvery Seaside House in Stone Harbor, NJ. My sisters also went down in the summer. I believI did as a baby but have no recollection. I do remember seeing the cedar shake structure many years later prior to it being torn down.

My Nana, Caroline Biffoni Pede, spent many a summer cooking for the children My family belonged to Calvery Church in Germantonw, Pa.

We are having a Family Reunion this summer in Stone Harbor. Does anyone have any history to share, photos or memorabilia?
e kirkley

Philadelphia, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 30, 2009

I sure do remember aunt CARRIE & uncle JOHN and GODMOTHER (lord rest their souls) and the great times at the seaside house.
dohetalk@verizon.net
Lenny Kohl

Jacksonville, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 10, 2009

Barbara Pede Moore wrote:
My father's family spent many summers at Calvery Seaside House in Stone Harbor, NJ. My sisters also went down in the summer. I believI did as a baby but have no recollection. I do remember seeing the cedar shake structure many years later prior to it being torn down.
My Nana, Caroline Biffoni Pede, spent many a summer cooking for the children My family belonged to Calvery Church in Germantonw, Pa.

We are having a Family Reunion this summer in Stone Harbor. Does anyone have any history to share, photos or memorabilia?
Hi Barbara,

Just read your reply to the article in the Herald. I also replied but can't seem to find it on the site. I spent parts of 10 summers at The Seaside House(1945-1954) until it closed. The best times of my life! In fact, I was one of the last people to be there in Sept. of 1954 when the house was shut-down. That was a sad day! I knew several from the both the Biffoni and Pede families. Of course Aunt Carrie, Jack Pede(a few years older than me), Gladys Biffoni, Faith Biffoni (a couple of years younger than me) and I have exchanged e-mailes with Ulysses Biffoni(Biff) over the past year or so. I hope this response gets to you. I would like to correspond about those days and your family reunion this past spring.

Lenny Kohl

p.s. I still have some photos that I would be happy to share with you.
Barbara Pede Moore

Philadelphia, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 10, 2009

Hi Lenny,

How nice of you to respond. I was only a baby but my older sister Carolyn spent summers at the shore with my Nana, Caroline. I think I spent some time at Calvery as an infant and toddler but I have no recollection.

I am anxious to see what photos you have. My family reunion is in September at St. Paul's Church in Stone Harbor. My Uncle Jack and cousin Faith will be attending. Are you able to scan the photos and send via email?
Lenny Kohl

Jacksonville, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 10, 2009

I have found 6-7 photos taken in 1952 or 53. One good one of the house. I'll try to scan and send to you via e-mail. My e-mail is lenkohl@yahoo.com. Please respond to my by e-mail and I'll try to get the pics to you.

Lenny

Barbara Pede Moore wrote:
Hi Lenny,
How nice of you to respond. I was only a baby but my older sister Carolyn spent summers at the shore with my Nana, Caroline. I think I spent some time at Calvery as an infant and toddler but I have no recollection.
I am anxious to see what photos you have. My family reunion is in September at St. Paul's Church in Stone Harbor. My Uncle Jack and cousin Faith will be attending. Are you able to scan the photos and send via email?
Joan Pede Beach

Mays Landing, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 26, 2009

Thank you to Toni Pistilli Zeccardi for the column in the Cape May County Herald. I spent 3 or 4 summers at Calvary Seaside House with my Nana, Caroline Pede. What wonderful memories of Godmother and what was provided for so many children. My Father, was Lawrence "Duke" Pede and he like his brothers and sisters had spent many happy summers at Calvary. Toni, thank you for the memories.
Carlyn Petosa Hallman

Lansdale, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 3, 2012

Just decided to Google Calvary Seaside House..didn't expect to get results but what a nice surprise. My father Michael Petose was one of the first children Godmother took to the shore many years ago. I spent my childhood in that wonderful house and feel blessed to have been part of that experience..there was no other like Godmother...I still go to Stone Harbor each summer and take many walks down 83rd and reminisce about all the love and laughter we all shared.
Carl

Media, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 7, 2013

My mother-in-law speaks very fondly of Calvary Seaside house in Stone Harbor. I am hoping to find a photograph for the family history that she is writing. Oh yes, she often speaks of Godmother. Does anyone have a picture of Godmother? So many thanks ...
Carl

Media, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 11, 2013

My mother-in-law, Gertrude Biffoni Ricciuti Roselle, is the daughter of Aunt Carrie's sister. We would love to hear from anyone who might have memories to share: cwitzjr@msn.com

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 9 of9
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

5 Users are viewing the Christian Music Forum right now

Search the Christian Music Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Christian academy planned for Salt Rock (Jul '13) Thu Harts Creek Forever 2
Thoughts on this song Mar 31 sean_bris 1
Sandi Patty leaving Anderson (Dec '08) Mar 25 Jesus 190
Prescription bottle, pink pills, pen, and presc... Mar '14 memyself 2
Steven Curtis Chapman: 'Kids from Paducah, Kent... Mar '14 love 2
World Class Rock-Blues Guitarist - GW Williams,... Mar '14 Guitar World Blues Fan 5
'Private Lives of Nashville Wives' Cassie Chapm... Mar '14 Keela fields 1
•••
•••
•••
•••
•••
•••