'The Shack' continues at No. 1 on CBA...

'The Shack' continues at No. 1 on CBA Top 50

There are 17 comments on the Christian Retailing story from Jul 24, 2008, titled 'The Shack' continues at No. 1 on CBA Top 50. In it, Christian Retailing reports that:

William P. Young's The Shack sits atop the CBA's best-sellers list for July, the third consecutive month for the controversial novel to do so, showing it is doing well at Christian retail.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Christian Retailing.

Sue Dent

Brandon, MS

#1 Sep 10, 2008
I think it's important to note that The Shack tops this list without being written by a CBA or ECPA affiliated author.

The Shack, which is self-published, initially couldn't even get into a CBA affiliated Christian bookstore. CBA affiliated bookstores only pull stock from CBA and ECPA and you have to pay to become a member. This is to protect the conservative core audience of CBA Christian Bookstores.

Mr. Young's book, with a marketing fund of $200, starts selling like hotcakes and all of a sudden, it gets a stamp of approval from CBA. CBA Christian bookstore owners start putting in on their shelve and suddenly theirs controversy.

CBA and ECPA core market readers have responded accordingly. They do not like the book. They're offended by it and say so at every turn. Most readers from the market this book targets, the Christians who read whats in the general market, enjoy the book emmensely which equals Best Seller.

It does make one wonder about motive though. There are tons of non-affiliated books that actually appeal to CBA and ECPA's core market of conservative evnagelicals. Why does CBA only approve the ones that stand to irritate their market?

Well, I guess thats just smart business.

And for the record, this book did not become a bestseller based on controversy. Controversy only became an issue after CBA approved it for their core market audience, having the same effect of tossing a dog bone and telling him not to eat it.
Tex_

Spring, TX

#2 Oct 30, 2008
Wow! You've got my appetite up now!
GChap

Nashville, TN

#3 Oct 30, 2008
Read it immediately.
It is amazing...pushes the imagination of belief but not too much for me.
I have been incredibly inspired.
There's a ton of tunes in that little book.
Metro_DFW

Spring, TX

#4 Jan 1, 2009
GChap wrote:
Read it immediately.
Sorry it took me so long to reply. I will probably read "Marley and Me" and other dog stories. I get stuck on one thing and then another. I've seen that book everywhere. I used to carry books to make people think I'm well read and smart, but then I read one about not needing acceptance, so now I carry a tiny purse to church with my cell phone, keys, my tithe, and peppermint. The scripture is always on the screen.

Without giving it away, what moved you so much about the book?

Sweet Jesus moves me because of the old man giving his life to save the boy and the boy praying to the same Jesus. The way it plays out always gets me! Tears, tissues, the works.
Metro_M

Spring, TX

#5 Jan 10, 2009
GChap wrote:
Read it immediately.
I still have to finish "Eat, Pray & Love"..."What's So Amazing About Grace?"
and several others. I'm a great & voracious reader, but it has to really hold my attention. I either devour it in 2-3 days or it collects dust. I'm sure eventually a copy will find its way into my cart.
shapeimin

Spring, TX

#6 Jan 24, 2009
Today, the focus is books. Wish I had that to read while I recover from allergy/bronchitis/croupy cough.
Tex_

Spring, TX

#7 Dec 5, 2009
GChap wrote:
Read it immediately.
I read an excerpt of it online. It was the part where a note was found urging someone to meet another person at the Shack. It was winter, cold and icy. I can tell you that I wasn't riveted, but I have the attention span of a gnat. A family member just suggested I read it also. They were an English major in college and said the main theme was about Redemption.

I think I am basically going to wait for My Shack to fall to the ground. Then there will be no more fighting about it. For now, I have put it in the God box. I want nothing more than to enjoy Christmas and ponder on how "A Baby Changes Everything" especially Baby Jesus.
_Tex_Shack

Spring, TX

#8 Dec 23, 2009
GChap wrote:
Read it immediately.
Could you or would you voluminously elaborate if I say pretty please?
Holy_Water_7

Spring, TX

#9 Mar 1, 2010
GChap wrote:
Read it immediately.
Great. Let's hear them!
Grace_Is_Suffici ent

Spring, TX

#10 Mar 8, 2010
GChap wrote:
Read it immediately.
I'd rather see Alice in Wonderland 3-D. Did anyone watch any of the awards last night?
Tex_Coke

Spring, TX

#11 Mar 17, 2010
Sue Dent wrote:
I think it's important to note that The Shack tops this list without being written by a CBA or ECPA affiliated author.
The Shack, which is self-published, initially couldn't even get into a CBA affiliated Christian bookstore. CBA affiliated bookstores only pull stock from CBA and ECPA and you have to pay to become a member. This is to protect the conservative core audience of CBA Christian Bookstores.
Mr. Young's book, with a marketing fund of $200, starts selling like hotcakes and all of a sudden, it gets a stamp of approval from CBA. CBA Christian bookstore owners start putting in on their shelve and suddenly theirs controversy.
CBA and ECPA core market readers have responded accordingly. They do not like the book. They're offended by it and say so at every turn. Most readers from the market this book targets, the Christians who read whats in the general market, enjoy the book emmensely which equals Best Seller.
It does make one wonder about motive though. There are tons of non-affiliated books that actually appeal to CBA and ECPA's core market of conservative evnagelicals. Why does CBA only approve the ones that stand to irritate their market?
Well, I guess thats just smart business.
And for the record, this book did not become a bestseller based on controversy. Controversy only became an issue after CBA approved it for their core market audience, having the same effect of tossing a dog bone and telling him not to eat it.
Reverse psychology?
Brian L

Nashville, TN

#12 Mar 26, 2010
Grace_Is_Sufficient wrote:
<quoted text>
I'd rather see Alice in Wonderland 3-D. Did anyone watch any of the awards last night?
You need a friend. So sad.
All Access

Spring, TX

#13 May 17, 2011
GChap wrote:
Read it immediately.
Still have not read it, but now that I have a Kindle, just might look it up! A relative of mine read it and loved it.
Bedhead

Spring, TX

#14 Sep 11, 2012
It is definitely fiction, right? I still haven't read it. I have a whole bookshelf full of books and bags of books too. I want to donate them all and start over on a Kindle. Clutter B Gone!
buck

AOL

#15 Sep 12, 2012
Clutter B gone,hmmm
and what was clutter A pile like? lol
I have rid some books too, several still unread on the shelves.
buck

AOL

#16 Sep 12, 2012
Only heard of this Shack book, and it's fiction?
the reviews appear to be good concerning its contents.
Unglued

Spring, TX

#17 Oct 18, 2012
buck wrote:
Only heard of this Shack book, and it's fiction?
the reviews appear to be good concerning its contents.
Definitely fiction. A family member read it, so I don't have to!
I think the theme is redemption.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Christian Music Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Shall We Gather At the River Hymn Story Jul 28 samkadya 1
Away in a manger, no crib for His bed. - Christ... Jul 26 samkadya 1
Go Down Moses : Story Behind Negro Spiritual Jul 26 samkadya 1
News Outspoken theologian ousted from the Lutheran C... Jul 26 barbsalter 2
News 'Tsunami' for First Nation Jul 25 Tax Free Native 3
"Be not dismayed whate'er betide, God will take... Jul 18 samkadya 1
Fling Out The Banner! Let It Float - George Was... Jul 14 samkadya 1
More from around the web