Idol's Constantine detracts from 'Jac...

Idol's Constantine detracts from 'Jacques Brel' - AM New York

There are 15 comments on the AM New York story from Feb 1, 2007, titled Idol's Constantine detracts from 'Jacques Brel' - AM New York. In it, AM New York reports that:

The long-running late 1960s Off-Broadway musical 'Jacques Brel is Alive and Well and Living in Paris' marked two firsts in modern musical theater history.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at AM New York.

Ameila

Dillon, SC

#1 Feb 1, 2007
Went to see this show two weekends ago and was blown away by Constantine's performance. He and Bob were the most outstanding actor's and touched me deeply on such an emotional level that I was sobbing by the end of the play. I never once saw Constantine look bored and I saw the play three times in one weekend.
sandy

Ridgewood, NY

#2 Feb 1, 2007
It is so obvious that you hate Constantine and Idol altogether. You are so bitter and decided to take the easy route and bash Constantine. Have you ever even been on a stage before? Constantine is laughing all the way to the bank and you are stuck in Single-A ball for life. AMNY??? HAHAHAHAHA!!!!! Even if he was amazing in the show...which he is...you would say the opposite. You are a low rent reporter who lives with his mother and is looking to write a story that is catchy. Bottom line.
Tammy

Clover, SC

#3 Feb 1, 2007
I couldn't agree with you more. Though Constantine has a pleasant enough voice, I didn't "feel" a connect with the material. I won't be recommending this performance.
Sheila

United States

#4 Feb 1, 2007
Thank you for speaking up about how lousy Constantine Maroulis is in this show. The other three talented performers do not deserve to have to share the stage with this buffoon.
ABC

Royersford, PA

#5 Feb 1, 2007
I rarely comment on one critic's interpretation, but this review could not be further from the truth. He has been acting a very long time and has a degree in musical theater from the Boston Conservatory. Musical theater is his passion, and he pours his heart and soul into every part he has ever had; from Roger in Rent; to Hedwig; to Jesus Christ Superstar.
I have seen Jacque Brel multiple times. Constantine shines. He was put in this show only a couple weeks ago and he has done a phenomenol job with acting, singing and dancing and showing emotion; to include crying at will. His portrayal of 'The Statue' and his emotion in 'Next' is very intense and his singing is beautiful.
Constantine is well liked and respected and he will continue to do well in the Broadway community. He is also very versatile and I look forward to his debut CD dropping this spring.
Judy

Phoenix, AZ

#6 Feb 1, 2007
It is strange how different reviewers see the same show and react so differently; in one day I read your scathing remarks about Constantine, and another who says he plays the material with "depth and sophistication" and fits seamlessly into the cast. Happily, I will be able to see for myself in two weeks.
Karen

Kuching, Malaysia

#7 Feb 1, 2007
Didn't you see Constantine cry with real tears during his performances? Every time. He can cry on cue. Constantine has been acting in musical stage productions for more than 10 years.
Oldrocker

Nottingham, MD

#8 Feb 1, 2007
I'm not sure what show you saw, but it obviously was not Jacques Brel with Constantine Maroulis!. I recently saw the matinee and was so impressed with Constantine that I went right back and got tickets for the 8:00 show. Constantine totally puts his heart and soul into his acting which was evident in the scene following the song "Next" when he drops to his knees and sobs. His vocal range is amazing as well. The entire cast (all four of them) are very talented and provide the perfect mix to pull off a wonderful performance.
deelorus

San Diego, CA

#9 Feb 1, 2007
What a shame you didn't even mention Jayne Patterson, one of the most lovely voices working in theater and a recent addition to the cast, also. Could it be you just wanted to pick on an "idol?" Tsk, tsk...shame, the talented cast deserves far more thoughtfulfulness. I see this an "agenda" piece. Not a review.
Mariska

Redmond, WA

#10 Feb 2, 2007
The tenor of your review was forewarned in the "Idol's Constantine" phrase. One would wonder how different this review would have been had you not known about the American Idol connection.
Elizabeth Schuman

Melissa, TX

#12 Feb 2, 2007
You are welcome to have your opinions about Constantine, but I would take your comments more seriously if you had bothered to spell the names of Bob Cuccioli or Jayne Paterson correctly. Furthermore, if you are going to review a show, I would hope you would comment on the entire show rather than focusing on trashing one single cast member. This reads more as a diatribe against somebody you don't like than a real theatrical review.
Donna

Decatur, GA

#13 Feb 2, 2007
I've seen Brel twice, with Constantine and without Constantine and I disagree with you that Constantine detracts from the show. His version was much more believable than the previous person cast in this role.

I happened to be seated next to two ladies who were talking amongst themselves about who he was as they apparently were not American Idol watchers. Their opinion of him was that "he's fabulous".

Everyone's entitled to their opinion and even though the majority of the public is not a "critic", they do know what they want and like.
Cheryl

Bay Shore, NY

#14 Feb 4, 2007
Thanks for your opinion.
Whether you had seen American Idol or not if you are discussing an actor’s performance it’s a good thing to pronounce their name correctly.

Good critics do their homework.
Canary in a Coal Mine

Miamisburg, OH

#15 Feb 9, 2007
Evidently Constantine in a musical is like a dead canary in a coal mine -- a pretty good indication that you are running out of oxygen.
Brellover

Bronx, NY

#16 Feb 9, 2007
What a disaster. His 15 minutes are so over and he is his biggest fan. Everything he touches seems to turn to crap these days.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chanson Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Ara Gevorgyan's Songs To Tell World About Armen... (Dec '13) Dec '13 Mary joe 4
News Charles Aznavour to visit Armenia (May '13) May '13 Mary Joe 11
News Aznavour: I'll visit Turkey if it opens border ... (Mar '13) Apr '13 sariyerli neco 23
News Actor Rade Serbedzija and Son Danilo to Film WW... (Mar '13) Apr '13 Filip II Reincarn... 8
News How Armenia and Azerbaijan Wage War Through Eur... (Mar '12) Apr '12 OguzTolga 32
News Singer preserves Sephardic music | The Columbus... (Nov '09) Feb '12 Enzyte Bob 6
News Tigran Sargsyan: We Have The Strongest Army In ... (Oct '11) Oct '11 lambroni ardziv 1
More from around the web