Future of Belmont's Bel Rio Uncertain

Future of Belmont's Bel Rio Uncertain

There are 24 comments on the NBC29 Charlottesville story from Jul 16, 2010, titled Future of Belmont's Bel Rio Uncertain. In it, NBC29 Charlottesville reports that:

The future of the Bel Rio restaurant and bar in Belmont is up in the air. The bar at the center of the most recent noise complaints in Charlottesville's Belmont neighborhood may not be a problem any longer.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NBC29 Charlottesville.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
cbunny

Charlottesville, VA

#1 Jul 16, 2010
Now, I might be wrong (so don't jump all over me if I am), but that place looks kinda seedy. I don't know that I'd eat anything in there . . .
jessayin

Richmond, VA

#2 Jul 16, 2010
I used to go pretty regularly. The menu was fairly eclectic, the food was good and not expensive - the quail with stuffing was outstanding while it was available.

I was disappointed when they no longer had the Rick Olivarez Trio (gypsy jazz) playng every Sunday night - that was the coolest show and I loved bringing people to see that. They're still playing at C&O once a week (not advertsing, jes sayin' it makes for a sweet night out and it's not too loud!)
Unreal

Charlottesville, VA

#3 Jul 16, 2010
I cannot believe that these places take a chance and move into a rotten, seedy neighborhood, turn it around and make it safe to go there at night, and the people that live there complain. If this place closes down, I hope the neighborhood becomes twice as crime ridden as it used to be!
jessayin

Richmond, VA

#4 Jul 16, 2010
a couple of doors down, on the other side of that street, those are bullet holes on the second story siding. I agree that it's still a sketchy neighborhood, but so is all around the downtown mall.
cbunny

Charlottesville, VA

#5 Jul 16, 2010
jessayin wrote:
I used to go pretty regularly. The menu was fairly eclectic, the food was good and not expensive - the quail with stuffing was outstanding while it was available.
I was disappointed when they no longer had the Rick Olivarez Trio (gypsy jazz) playng every Sunday night - that was the coolest show and I loved bringing people to see that. They're still playing at C&O once a week (not advertsing, jes sayin' it makes for a sweet night out and it's not too loud!)
Thanks for that info -- like I said, I could be wrong. We used to love a place (NY) that was VERY seedy-looking on the outside, but FANTASTIC (and cheap) food on the inside. Unfortunately, I guess I won't be able to give Bel Rio a try now. I can't imagine it was making THAT much noise. It IS, after all, the city (just sayin').[smile, wink]

“Equal Opportunity Not Results!”

Since: Nov 08

Charlottesville

#6 Jul 16, 2010
This is a perfect example of Government regulating a private owner out of business. The people who bought those homes new that there was a small business district located there before they moved into their homes. It wasn't loud you could barely hear it from the street.
Cece from Belmont

Collinsville, VA

#7 Jul 16, 2010
Those comments about being seedy,not hearing the music outside and making no reference to what has been currently fully documented regarding Bel Rio violence and a being loose cannon come from uninformed people...Do not speak to a subject when you have not lived here seeing the deterioration and its cause, Bel Rio. Notice we have objected to only Bel Rio and what was allowed to happen at its venues. The other restaurants are wonderful and have fit in quite well in this neighborhood Commercial area.
If you want the kind of action that Bel Rio had become, then go somewhere else in C'Ville.
Pat

Charlottesville, VA

#9 Jul 16, 2010
Cece from Belmont wrote:
Those comments about being seedy,not hearing the music outside and making no reference to what has been currently fully documented regarding Bel Rio violence and a being loose cannon come from uninformed people...Do not speak to a subject when you have not lived here seeing the deterioration and its cause, Bel Rio. Notice we have objected to only Bel Rio and what was allowed to happen at its venues. The other restaurants are wonderful and have fit in quite well in this neighborhood Commercial area.
If you want the kind of action that Bel Rio had become, then go somewhere else in C'Ville.
Sounds like maybe a little bit of influence from the hood to the ABC board!
Barbara

Charlottesville, VA

#10 Jul 16, 2010
It's a shame that the bad behavior of a few ruin things for the rest of us. My husband and I are not rowdy. We are 50-ish health care professionals and this is our favorite place for local live music. We went there for our 20th anniversary. The last time I was there was to see the Chickenhead Blues Band (my favorite) and the place was packed with people just like us. It was a fun crowd. There were no disturbances, rowdiness, or even spillover into the street. The proximity of the Belmont neighborhood to downtown is naturally going to attract night-time music entertainment as well as restaurants. People are attracted to that area partly for that reason. I wish the people who moved to this neighborhood because of these attractions would speak up louder than those who complain!
UVA FAN

Forest, VA

#11 Jul 16, 2010
I really liked Bel Rio, the food was good,not great,most of the music was good,some great. Most of the time I left before midnight and not sure what happens in the early morning hours. Only what I have read. I would be sad to see it go.
TiredofNIMBYS

Waynesboro, VA

#12 Jul 16, 2010
Barbara wrote:
It's a shame that the bad behavior of a few ruin things for the rest of us. My husband and I are not rowdy. We are 50-ish health care professionals and this is our favorite place for local live music. We went there for our 20th anniversary. The last time I was there was to see the Chickenhead Blues Band (my favorite) and the place was packed with people just like us. It was a fun crowd. There were no disturbances, rowdiness, or even spillover into the street. The proximity of the Belmont neighborhood to downtown is naturally going to attract night-time music entertainment as well as restaurants. People are attracted to that area partly for that reason. I wish the people who moved to this neighborhood because of these attractions would speak up louder than those who complain!
Barbara, what is significant in your commentary is that you went to Bel Rio so you could enjoy a music venue, not a restaurant with a little dinner music. The zoning in the area does not allow for music venues or dance venues for a reason, which is why there has been a conflict.
There is also a reason why all the people who thought Bel Rio was cool didn't live next door. That's because they don't have to deal with the crime, filth, and disruption on a daily basis. It isn't true you could barely hear it outside. Additionally, bass travels a long way, and need not be loud to permeate people's homes.
If you like it so much, I suggest that you encourage someone like Jim Baldi to rezone a property right next to yours, so that you can enjoy music venues and concerts every night, in your own backyard. Or, alternatively, you can purchase a residential property right next to a similar establishment. I am sure you can approach one of the disgruntles residents and make them an offer they can't refuse.
If you aren't willing to do that, then you are just one more NIMBY who thinks someone else should suffer for your pleasure.
No one in that district complains about the good restaurants like Tavola and Mas.
TiredofNIMBYS

Waynesboro, VA

#13 Jul 16, 2010
C-Ville Patriot wrote:
This is a perfect example of Government regulating a private owner out of business. The people who bought those homes new that there was a small business district located there before they moved into their homes. It wasn't loud you could barely hear it from the street.
Different business districts have different rules. if you don;t want to follow the rules go somewhere where the rules fit. Businesses don;t get to trample on the property rights of others. Businesses don;t get to trample on the property rights of other businesses.

Some of those residents predate the type of business zoning. Until the recent development, the residents got along fine with the businesses that were there, and had every right to expect the businesses would operate within the zoning guidelines.

However, if you think business has the right to destroy other's property, and pollute an area, I will gladly take all the waste from my business and deposite it on your property. In fact, it will save me money.

If you say I don;t have a right, because of laws etc, I will just say that you are one more person using Government to regulate a business until it closes.
TiredofNIMBYS

Waynesboro, VA

#14 Jul 16, 2010
Pat wrote:
<quoted text>Sounds like maybe a little bit of influence from the hood to the ABC board!
Wrong. There is far more to the story than the noise trouble, and disruptive destructive behavior of many of his patrons. ABC will only pull a license because the owner/company does something in violation of the ABC code on the books.

I suggest you limit your self righteous opinions until you know what you are talking about.
TiredofNIMBYS

Waynesboro, VA

#15 Jul 16, 2010
Unreal wrote:
I cannot believe that these places take a chance and move into a rotten, seedy neighborhood, turn it around and make it safe to go there at night, and the people that live there complain. If this place closes down, I hope the neighborhood becomes twice as crime ridden as it used to be!
Guess you never visited the area until Bel Rio showed up huh? Do you just like to reinvent history so you can justify your self entitlement, or are you just a pathological tale teller?

If the place was so seedy, why did so many people want to move in long before Bel Rio, including places like Mas? I expect the area will vastly improve again, and with any luck, the message sent will get it back to where it was in 2005 and before.
thinking free

Charlottesville, VA

#16 Jul 16, 2010
Belmont has been undergoing gentrification for some time now. I hope it continues. This bar has been taking advantage of the neighborhoods changing status. They need to respect their neighbors or take a hike.
Monopoly

Charlottesville, VA

#17 Jul 16, 2010
TiredofNIMBYS wrote:
<quoted text>
I will gladly take all the waste from my business and deposite it on your property. In fact, it will save me money.
what business are you in? do tell
zZz

Charlottesville, VA

#18 Jul 16, 2010
Bel Rio will fail not because of noise ordinances, but because their food is mediocre. Actually, since the menu change, it sucks.
Sick of Cville

Scottsville, VA

#19 Jul 17, 2010
Basically it all started when the deejay started playing hip hop music and attracted African Americans. Evidently the people in the neighborhood had a problem with this and complained. There was no fights or wrongdoing. The deejay was told he could play any other music except hip hop. Simply put Charlottesville caters to white people from their stores and restaurants to the nightclubs. Sad but true. You can go just about anywhere here and find a place playing country, heavy metal, techno, etc and nobody says a thing. As soon as a club starts playing hip hop and rap people start to complain. What ever happened to diversity?
truthhurts

Staunton, VA

#20 Jul 17, 2010
you want diversity, go check out who's mugging who all around town, then mosey over to the court in the morning and see who all is waiting to go before the judge.
thinking free

Charlottesville, VA

#22 Jul 17, 2010
Sick of Cville wrote:
Basically it all started when the deejay started playing hip hop music and attracted African Americans. Evidently the people in the neighborhood had a problem with this and complained. There was no fights or wrongdoing. The deejay was told he could play any other music except hip hop. Simply put Charlottesville caters to white people from their stores and restaurants to the nightclubs. Sad but true. You can go just about anywhere here and find a place playing country, heavy metal, techno, etc and nobody says a thing. As soon as a club starts playing hip hop and rap people start to complain. What ever happened to diversity?
I used to live over by 4th and Main. The restaurant there on the corner played hip hop one evening, the aftermath was frightening,and I saw this myself at a very safe distance, Police had to be called to keep order. The club never played hip hop again.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

A-Cappella Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Man takes deal in murder, gets life without parole (Aug '09) Oct '17 YourNotGod 9
COLUMBIA SHARP MUSIC VIDEO: Coffee X Pillowtalk (Dec '16) Dec '16 cusharp 1
New Marc Anthony Cover by Collegiate A Capella ... (Oct '16) Oct '16 snarsher 1
i am (Sep '16) Sep '16 Paul 1
One Man A Cappella Cover Band (Aug '15) Aug '15 Rebecca Loops 1
News A Capella Group Turns Kelly Clarkson's Hits Int... (Jul '15) Jul '15 John Kenney is No... 1
News Belmont outlines accomplishments: City Council ... (Mar '15) Mar '15 Schmones 1
More from around the web