Great Debate: Led Zeppelin Vs. The Who

Great Debate: Led Zeppelin Vs. The Who

There are 25 comments on the Cinema Blend News story from Jul 11, 2007, titled Great Debate: Led Zeppelin Vs. The Who. In it, Cinema Blend News reports that:

By Brendan Butler and J.P. Gorman: 2007-07-10 21:07:00 Led Zeppelin! -- Brendan Butler "The Who" is more than a band--it's a likely response people will make when uttered in conjunction with the holy grail of ... via Cinema Blend News

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Cinema Blend News.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Robert

United States

#1 Jul 11, 2007
The Who. Poor musicianship. Musicaly irrelevant since 1978. No recording of stature since 1971 (Who's Next).And absolutely no integrity. Countless farewell forever (this time we mean it) tours. The Who are light weights.
Crowes Fan

Hopewell, VA

#2 Jul 14, 2007
The Who are a great band don't get me wrong....but let's be honest, Led Zeppelin changed the face of music. They took the blues and turned it into hard rock. Not to mention their more mellow stuff is just incredible. The Who are a great rock band but better than the mighty Zep? No way brother!
To Each His Own

Summerville, SC

#3 Jul 20, 2007
If anyone thinks Led Zeppelin is better than The Who you're either too young too recognize superior songwriting or are simply not interested in songwriting. The Who is not for everyone; Led Zeppelin can be for everyone (as long as they have a moderate interest in rock music).
zeppelin great music

Paola, Malta

#4 Jul 26, 2007
I saw Robert Plant in Malta , he was fantastic.
I'am zeppelin fan for 27 years now , i can't find a band better than zeppelin..........
the who have good vibe but not like zeppelin
jimmy b

Salfordville, PA

#5 Jul 30, 2007
Wow what a debate. Attacks on bands that paved the way for generations to come. A comedy of statements made by all. 2 fantastic bands that have their place in history. The Who started out as Mods, Zeppelin deeply rooted in the blues. YOU CAN'T HONESTLY COMPARE THEM!!! Therefore I suggest you enjoy the music as I have for 40 years now.
Just An Observer

Oscoda, MI

#6 Aug 1, 2007
The Who----hands down. Zep's good, but The Who have spanned many different generations and avenues. Rock Operas, the first! Roger Daltry has a better voice, better writing, the words! Wow, the Who are better!
Robert

United States

#7 Aug 1, 2007
jimmy b: you can honestly compare to rock bands if your comparison is about which band is more musically viable.
Just An Observer:high school kids today listen to and wear Zeppelin tour shirts. Nobody wears Who shirts, let alone listen to The Who.
Crowes Fan

Glen Allen, VA

#8 Aug 2, 2007
Robert: I'm sure that some kids listen to THE WHO. I'm a big Zeppelin fan, but I can at least say that any kid interested in music should listen to The Who! Just An Observer: Daltry has better voice than Plant come on man! That's one for the books!
jimmy b

Salfordville, PA

#9 Aug 2, 2007
Robert, then do this. Compare The Beatles, Pink Floyd, The Allman Brothers and The Stones to Led Zeppelin. Once you do that throw in Muddy Waters, Elmore James, Robert Johnson, Elvis, Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, Jerry Vale, Hank Williams Sr, Dylan, The Supremes, The Beach Boys, The Temptations, Yes, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Aerosmith, Rush, Van Halen, and The Black Crowes. Any real music conversation would state that all listed above are viable and the musicians of today will tell you they lean on all these folks for inspiration, but can you compare them all?

Crowes Fan, you hit the nail on the head, music you love to listen to should not be based on who is wearing what to school. It should be based on your own preference.

We can try and compare all the bands who ever recorded anything but at the end of the day it all comes down to what do I enjoy to listen to.

Therefore no one is right or wrong.

ROCK ON

BWG

“Cogito ergo sum”

Since: May 07

Irmo

#10 Aug 2, 2007
To Each His Own wrote:
If anyone thinks Led Zeppelin is better than The Who you're either too young too recognize superior songwriting or are simply not interested in songwriting. The Who is not for everyone; Led Zeppelin can be for everyone (as long as they have a moderate interest in rock music).
You are correct the Who is not for everyone. Neither was a Rock Opera but in it's own way the Who did have some great music. Led Zeppelin was innovative and full of musical talent, they were one of the greatist bands in the history of Rock and Roll. Have someone read the article to you and help you through the rough spots.

BWG

“Cogito ergo sum”

Irmo

#11 Aug 2, 2007
jimmy b wrote:
Wow what a debate. Attacks on bands that paved the way for generations to come. A comedy of statements made by all. 2 fantastic bands that have their place in history. The Who started out as Mods, Zeppelin deeply rooted in the blues. YOU CAN'T HONESTLY COMPARE THEM!!! Therefore I suggest you enjoy the music as I have for 40 years now.
Hang on to that sense of humor. It’s all good. Both bands were great, in their own way. Speaking of ways.. Can you believe Joe Cocker is still alive? Well if you want to call Keith Richards living. You Tube has some great stuff from Joes and his Mad Dogs and Englishmen Tour. Leon Russel is on the piano, high as a kite and Joe is spastic and singing Cry Me A River. The blonde from Heart still plays a mean guitar. Anyway keep the faith. It’s all good. Except, Tiny Tim, him I never understood.
jimmy b

Salfordville, PA

#12 Aug 3, 2007
BWG, YOU TUBE, what a great avenue to see video. I hope it sticks around. I'll need to check out Joe next time I visit the site.

Nancy Wilson a fine guitarist.

I thought Keef died in the 80's

Tiny Tim, I won't be typing that name in the google box anytime soon.

Rock and Roll all
bernie

Nyora, Australia

#13 Aug 4, 2007
it's very simple,the WHO had a great live show but average studio output whereas LED ZEPPELIN had an extraordinary live show and a outstanding studio output.

“Overcome Medusa - Fly Higher!”

Since: Jul 07

...and don't look back!

#14 Aug 4, 2007
bernie wrote:
it's very simple,the WHO had a great live show but average studio output whereas LED ZEPPELIN had an extraordinary live show and a outstanding studio output.
I hate to say this, because I thought the who were fantastic musicians considering they had little or no musical training (like Kieth Richards, who first learned to play guitar in various bathroom stalls in artschool) but Zep musicianship as well as arranging ability was also better (I guess this all adds to the "studio output"). Also Zeps composing ability
was more consistently top notch.

...and don't look back!

#15 Aug 4, 2007
Rarely did one ever buy a Zep single. One bought the whole album because all the songs were hits, masterpieces, very good, or ....
hmmm...I can't think of anything offhand that was just good. Maybe a few things off 'presence' and 'coda?'

...and don't look back!

#16 Aug 4, 2007
But hey, picking out a best or better band is like trying musicians trying to pick the best guitar. Some swear by Les Pauls, some by stratocasters,...whatever. It depends on your playing style, your own touch, how much 'magik'
you can bring out of the instrument....
Zep had more universal appeal, and more appeal for trained musicians but no one should
feel less for liking the who better. I love the stones more than the Beatles....even tho the Beatles had more universal appeal than Stones (but I think stones are closing the gap for a number of reasons including the fact that they've been at it much longer as a Band than beatles.) The stones' music talks to me more personally than beatles, more happy times concert memories, lot's of stuff. But musicially speaking?-and most musicians of the beatles' time and later agreed - The Beatles had it above the stones.
Geeeeeeezzz....I didn't think I'd get so involved in this forum, lol!

BWG

“Cogito ergo sum”

Irmo

#17 Aug 4, 2007
I am still in awe how music has evolved from the 60's to today, with the evolution of technology for how we play and listen to it. We have some from record players to reel to reel, to cassette players to cds and now computers and mpeg players. I have a couple of Sony Walkmans that hold over 600 songs each. One can store hundred of songs on dvds or cd and transfer them to the players via the media library. Pop on the headphones and away we go. Even better with a Bose sound system.

...and don't look back!

#18 Aug 4, 2007
BWG wrote:
I am still in awe how music has evolved from the 60's to today, with the evolution of technology for how we play and listen to it. We have some from record players to reel to reel, to cassette players to cds and now computers and mpeg players. I have a couple of Sony Walkmans that hold over 600 songs each. One can store hundred of songs on dvds or cd and transfer them to the players via the media library. Pop on the headphones and away we go. Even better with a Bose sound system.
Oooooo, bose is nice. The only (slight) problem I had with it is that it lacked a little in the base end, but still wonderful. A Kieth (Richards) chord on a bose kinda' comes out of the speaker, hunts you down, and slices the top of your head off.
i wrote to bose and asked them when they will start making guitar amps, because I read somewhere that
it was in their plans to do so. Bose said not anytime soon. Oh, well.
Robert

United States

#19 Aug 5, 2007
jimmy b, I'll take Zeppelin and Frank Sinatra thanks
marie

Birkirkara, Malta

#20 Aug 14, 2007
cant get any better than zep, and that is it.

i was so happy to get the chance to see plant perform live since i assumed that i would never get the chance in this life time, he was so fucking mindblowing it was ridiculous, and that was just one member out of the 4 so i can only imagine what was the aura with all 4 of them together as LED ZEPPELIN.

hands down; the BEST.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Music Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Radio Style DJ Sat Amataba 1
now booking exclusive radio interviews Jul 21 W Tribe 2
Tommy Flanagan's fave Uk Band - The Winachi Tri... Jul 21 Hendy 2
DJ Chivas Jul 21 Amataba 1
HELP! 90's song with robot/alien voice (Nov '14) Jul 20 LordElros 40
m.v.m dj Jul 20 Yohaka 1
Beautiful Struggle mixtape by Bing Bing drops 8/20 Jul 18 thabingbing 1
More from around the web