Movie review: Gran Torino -- 3 of 5 s...

Movie review: Gran Torino -- 3 of 5 stars

There are 11 comments on the Orlando Sentinel story from Jan 7, 2009, titled Movie review: Gran Torino -- 3 of 5 stars. In it, Orlando Sentinel reports that:

"I think the movie will surprise some people, the nuance of it," Eastwood said. The racist, homophobic Dirty Harry Callahan has retired in Detroit.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Orlando Sentinel.

you are an idiot

Dallas, TX

#1 Jan 7, 2009
I have just a basic question that perhaps you may be able to answer....

IS THE MOVIE ANY D*MN GOOD? In your review you fail once again to tell me if I am going to be entertained or not. You are friggin terrible and I can't tell why the let you review movies...

“FL for Harley FL not Floriduh”

Since: Jul 08

Lake Mary

#2 Jan 9, 2009
you are an idiot wrote:
IS THE MOVIE ANY D*MN GOOD? In your review you fail once again to tell me if I am going to be entertained or not. You are friggin terrible and I can't tell why the let you review movies...
The movie is excellent! If you are an Eastwood fan, this is one of his best! I never pay attention to these ratings, usually if they rate it poor,my wife and I enjoy it. In the world of todays movies when the trailer is usually better than the movie, this one is worth seeing. Having lived in some of these neighborhoods and knowing the retired blue collar worker mentality towards the deterioration and changes in their neighborhoods, I thoroughly enjoyed it!
Olando

Titusville, FL

#4 Jan 9, 2009
What the hell is a 'Hmong' family? That some kinda new chink ive never heard of before?

Love movies like this where punks get shot and dead. This is how it should be in real life.

Lake Mary

#5 Jan 9, 2009
Olando wrote:
What the hell is a 'Hmong' family? That some kinda new chink ive never heard of before?
Love movies like this where punks get shot and dead. This is how it should be in real life.
Hmong people are Asian hill people that helped the US during VietNam and came here in droves when the Communists took over in 1975.
Olando

Titusville, FL

#7 Jan 9, 2009
fltom wrote:
<quoted text>Hmong people are Asian hill people that helped the US during VietNam and came here in droves when the Communists took over in 1975.
Oh then they were good dinks as opposed to the dinks killing our men viciously in the jungles.
Harley

Orlando, FL

#8 Jan 9, 2009
you are an idiot wrote:
I found myself asking the same thing. What is wrong with this paper???

Lake Mary

#9 Jan 10, 2009
Olando wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh then they were good dinks as opposed to the dinks killing our men viciously in the jungles.
If you were there you wouldnt make an idiotic statement like that, some of us risked all to save these people from the hands of the NVA which were the enemy. The whole point of Eastwoods movies about Iwo Jima and this one are coming to terms with the hatred, you obviously missed it! You couldnt live through what they did, you are to spoiled in America, and Veterans like me fought for the right for every race to be free in this country, not just yours!
Robb

United States

#10 Jan 10, 2009
Great movie, I walked away seeing good and bad in everyone.
Clint did a fantastic job, along with the entire cast.
Thanks to our vets and thanks to Hmong people.
river rat

United States

#11 Jan 11, 2009
i too am a vet.
i think this is the best movie ive seen in a long long time.
evey one who has every drawn combat pay suffers the guilt ,deals with the same demons.
eastwood portrayed this acurately.
the scaring is not just physical
philbert desenex

Kingston, TN

#13 Jan 15, 2009
Moore nailed it, You Are An Idiot. It was a C grade movie - understand? It was OK, not great, not bad. You surely got some of those grades in school on your better days.

Lake Mary

#14 Jan 15, 2009
philbert desenex wrote:
Moore nailed it, You Are An Idiot. It was a C grade movie - understand? It was OK, not great, not bad. You surely got some of those grades in school on your better days.
Its a C rade movie to those that are to young to understand! The WWII and Korean Vets that returnd home and couldnt claim PTSD were labeled Shell shocked, they went to work and raised their families and kept their demons with them. My Father, my Uncles all bore the scars of those conflicts and a deep seeded hatred of Asians, some came to terms with it, some didnt! I think the same goes for Asians that age.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Unforgiven Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Clint Eastwood tells Cannes he might act again ... (May '17) May '17 toe 3
News Actor Gene Hackman's other career (Mar '14) Mar '14 In our town 3
News No One Wants To Watch Big Budget Westerns At Th... (Jul '13) Jul '13 not alone 1
News Eastwood says he'd love to be directing at age 105 (Apr '13) Apr '13 Sheik Yerbouti 1
News Police: Gene Hackman slaps homeless man in NM (Oct '12) Nov '12 Kicks2012 26
News Clint Eastwood on the Good, the Bad and the Ugl... (Sep '12) Sep '12 Nigel Hendricks 1
News Clint Eastwood is Mitt Romney's opening act (Aug '12) Sep '12 MWE 5
More from around the web