CBS plans `Sybil' remake

Full story: San Jose Mercury News

Thirty years after it first aired on television, the movie ``Sybil'' is getting a new life on CBS.
Comments
21 - 34 of 34 Comments Last updated Jun 10, 2008
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
larry

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 25, 2007

Tiea Nartell wrote:
The original movie ruined many peoples lives and the course of there treatment was misguided for alm0st 3 decades. After the Movie there was a increase of diagnosis's. It was later proved the book and the Movie ws highly exaggerated. Many Therapists expected behavior much like Sybill's or the portrayal of Sally Fields was accurate and it was highly overdoone thus the emmy. People with DID are highly functioning people and many more subtly changeor switch quietly without all teh fanfare rather than dramatically throwing themselves around a office foaming at the mouth. I sure hope CBS gets it right this time.
There is a large community of people with DID all over the Globe that function and Parent and go to work every day and do not need daily babysitting and caretaking and intense thereapy as portrayed in Sybill.I also agree with the first PO. Since the real "Sybill" is alive maybe a interview would be in order also as of 2005 Dr. Cornelious Wilbur real files on Sybill were to be made public knowledge. Any cahnce CBS could get a peek? I hope we'll get the truth this time
the real sybil died several years ago.....shirley ardell mason
ANNA

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2007

DOES ANYONE KNOWS WHEN THE MOVIE SYBIL IS GOING TO BE RELEASE?
vanessa

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2007

your so hot and i wish you were my sister..... and tell zac that me and my friend jessica trott that hes hot love you.... LOL LOL LOL LOL
Aceles

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 12, 2007

Chris Kenron wrote:
I hope that the new movie version of the book Sybil will have an introduction and a trailer explaining that this was a novel and not a true story. It is my understanding that after the book and the movie first came out, there was a large increase in the numbers of multiple personality diagnoses,having started a trend. It may have been a gross exaggeration of a real person's life, not unlike "A Million Little Pieces".
I think it's necessary to note here that the novel Sybil is not only based on a true story, it is a direct account of a true story, with names changed to protect the innocent. The original movie, while wonderful, was quite different from the book.

That aside, I'd like to mention how incredibly annoying it is that one memoir can ruin the entire genre of biography. You would be best to not judge these books by their covers--or by 'A Million Little Pieces.' Not everyone lies, and James Frey, for the record, barely did so.

Also, Sybil did not start a trend, it created a much more widespread knowledge of what was already accepted as a psychological disorder.

There's my two cents. Feel free to disagree.
IndyGoBlue2007

Jeffersonville, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 13, 2007

To comment on two different posts. To Anna: CBS hasn't set a broadcast date yet (as far as I know) but it's strongly rumored that it'll be shown in May.

To Aceles: If you've seen the extras disk included in the 30th anniversary edition, Stewart Stern explains how he came to write the screenplay. Without going into detail, he read the book and felt he couldn't write the screenplay from it. He asked to meet with Dr Wilbur and she provided him with much of the original information. Through collaboration with Dr W and Flora Screiber he did his own research and wrote the play accordingly. IMO he did fudge on a few things, such as Sybil meeting the "others" but as far as Vanessa/Peggy losing it (the "piano scene") Sybil's actual words were taken from recordings.
I've also said that unscrupulous shrinks took advantage of emotionally ill people and that much of the "buried memory syndrome" is false, but that's IMO.

Since: Jun 07

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 3, 2007

I've been going to the IMDb site for the past year & posting, replying, etc., but suddenly my posts are being deleted, so I changed to this site. Anyway, does anyone know when the remake will be shown? Someone on the IMDb site said it was shown over Memorial Day weekend in Italy on the Hallmark Channel. Last I heard from Nancy Preston is Autumn 2007 or later.
Karen

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 6, 2007

These people who want to now say multiplicity does not exist have a vested interest in doing so.
I am a multiple. I have had 6 hospitlizations over a span of 20 years.
Insurance companys simply do not want to pay out claims any longer for this diagnosis.
It is costly and cuts into their bottom line profits.
It is a sad state of affairs when insurance lobbyists can overturn a valid diagnosis just so they can keep more of their money.
IndyGoBlue2007

Jeffersonville, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 22, 2007

Krusso, I saw a New Zealand website that is linked from a post on the IMDb Sybil(2006) board; it is being shown overseas at various times. To my great disappointment the broadcast time is only 90 minutes. Hopefully this is a cut-down version.
Karen, you're so right about the insurance companies. They charge more and more and pay less and less while their top execs bring home multi-million dollar paychecks per annum. Sad.
Sheri

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 4, 2007

If Shirley Ardelle Mason was indeed multiple,how could she remember being abused by her schizoid mother at six months of age! Nobody remembers being six months old. And since the woman is dead and the psyciatrist and the author are all dead now,why can't anyone hear these so called tapes of her in therapy? Maybe this book was a work of fiction. I believe that Dr Wilbur convinced her about being abused by her mother just like my sister who is Bipolar and obcesive compulsive and a hard core drug addict has tried again and again to claim her aunt and her female babysitter molested her This is total BS! I was there when these so called molestations took place. Thats why I don't believe that Ms Mason was multiple just mentally ill.
Living Shadows

Saint Albert, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 3, 2008

Sheri: Because according to medical sci, a Multiples brain is split up into peices, and so some, most, are frosen in a certian time. So a person could have anywhere from babies in them, to people who don't have an age for some reason, but still would have flash backs for some reason, of only a certian time.
Maybe they can't hear the tapes, because of other family members? I don't know about you, but I wouldn't want my ansesters personal life spread out in the world, just for some skeptics. We people who believe MP"D" exists don't need to hear the tapes to know that Sybil was real.
Well, you can't have to people in one boat like that. Sybil and your ister. Yes, you wre there when your sister cliamed those things, but were you also there when Sybil was having T? You can't say that and put the puzzle together like that. It's not that simple.
baloney

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 16, 2008

I have been waiting for this movie as I loved the first Sybil. Has it been released or not?
John Hallmark

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2008

Does anyone know where to locate and purchase a copy of this remake which has been released in Europe? The original was a true art form in acing as well as one of the first movies to reveal the horror and effects of child abuse in this country. Please let me know where I can purchase this for home entertainment purposes only.

Respectfully
John Hallmark
jhllmrk@aol.com
Geraldine

Maracay, Venezuela

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 3, 2008

I can only say i love this book and those of you who think itīs not true, look up the facts about this disorder.īthis is no joke people can realy suffer this course.
dj g

Westland, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 10, 2008

Sheri wrote:
If Shirley Ardelle Mason was indeed multiple,how could she remember being abused by her schizoid mother at six months of age! Nobody remembers being six months old. And since the woman is dead and the psyciatrist and the author are all dead now,why can't anyone hear these so called tapes of her in therapy? Maybe this book was a work of fiction. I believe that Dr Wilbur convinced her about being abused by her mother just like my sister who is Bipolar and obcesive compulsive and a hard core drug addict has tried again and again to claim her aunt and her female babysitter molested her This is total BS! I was there when these so called molestations took place. Thats why I don't believe that Ms Mason was multiple just mentally ill.
I can understand the difficulty with accepting the did diagnosis and the confusion re how could Sybill have memories at age 6 months. I am a therapist working presently with a did client and every session I am still in awe of this particularly amazing coping skill. I can tell you that the core personality may not remember at that young age, but amazing as this sounds (and we must admit that we still have a lot to learn about the brain, the soul, spirituality)altho my client does not remember this, one of her healer alters has told me that she first came to be at nine months when the mother started burning her with cigarettes. Parts of the child come out to protect the core from the pain and severe trauma, that is the alters job. I don't think my client's conscious mind (the core personality) will ever remember what happened to her at age 9 months. But I believe that there is an imprint, a part of the soul or psyche that holds the memory. At the same time, I am sure that parts of the movie Sybil were exaggerated for filming purposes. dj

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Tootsie Discussions

Search the Tootsie Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Character Actor Charles Durning Dies at Age 89 (Dec '12) Dec '12 john 3
Renowned character actor Charles Durning dies (Dec '12) Dec '12 Old Sam 1
Durning, king of character actors, dies in NYC (Dec '12) Dec '12 Elmer 1
Dan Aykroyd: Bill Murray won't do 'Ghostbusters 3' (Mar '12) Mar '12 Kathwynn 2
SAG to Honor Durning With Lifetime Award (Nov '07) Aug '11 pro 2
Rat Pack legend thrills Marlborough Jazz Festiv... (Jul '10) Jul '10 Andy Derrick 1
HBO Loves the 'Ladies' (Mar '10) May '10 Gery Walker 5
•••
•••
•••