CBS plans `Sybil' remake

CBS plans `Sybil' remake

There are 34 comments on the San Jose Mercury News story from Jan 19, 2006, titled CBS plans `Sybil' remake. In it, San Jose Mercury News reports that:

Thirty years after it first aired on television, the movie ``Sybil'' is getting a new life on CBS.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at San Jose Mercury News.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Chris Kenron

AOL

#1 Feb 2, 2006
I hope that the new movie version of the book Sybil will have an introduction and a trailer explaining that this was a novel and not a true story. It is my understanding that after the book and the movie first came out, there was a large increase in the numbers of multiple personality diagnoses,having started a trend. It may have been a gross exaggeration of a real person's life, not unlike "A Million Little Pieces".
Tiea Nartell

Redford, MI

#2 Feb 3, 2006
The original movie ruined many peoples lives and the course of there treatment was misguided for alm0st 3 decades. After the Movie there was a increase of diagnosis's. It was later proved the book and the Movie ws highly exaggerated. Many Therapists expected behavior much like Sybill's or the portrayal of Sally Fields was accurate and it was highly overdoone thus the emmy. People with DID are highly functioning people and many more subtly changeor switch quietly without all teh fanfare rather than dramatically throwing themselves around a office foaming at the mouth. I sure hope CBS gets it right this time.

There is a large community of people with DID all over the Globe that function and Parent and go to work every day and do not need daily babysitting and caretaking and intense thereapy as portrayed in Sybill.I also agree with the first PO. Since the real "Sybill" is alive maybe a interview would be in order also as of 2005 Dr. Cornelious Wilbur real files on Sybill were to be made public knowledge. Any cahnce CBS could get a peek? I hope we'll get the truth this time
Mamie

Charlottetown, Canada

#3 Mar 18, 2006
Yeah, well I have over 40 personalities and I have never been treated. I had a hard start at it but managed to keep myself together---to say the least. I did do many things that resulted in many bad things....but I think a remake will do the world good. I wrote books and have many poems and a movie is thought to come out on me BUT it doesnt focus on my mpd.
http://spaces.msn.com/mamieswork/
Jeff Adair

Chatsworth, GA

#4 Mar 21, 2006
Chris Kenron wrote:
I hope that the new movie version of the book Sybil will have an introduction and a trailer explaining that this was a novel and not a true story. It is my understanding that after the book and the movie first came out, there was a large increase in the numbers of multiple personality diagnoses,having started a trend. It may have been a gross exaggeration of a real person's life, not unlike "A Million Little Pieces".
In fact "Sybil" is based on a true story. After her death in 1998, it was revealed that ``Sybil'' was Shirley Ardell Mason, who ran an arts business in Lexington, Ky., for the last 20 years of her life.
betty

Washington, DC

#5 Mar 22, 2006
Sybil was based on a true story. It was one of the stories you can call a true classic. It open many doors some good to make people aware and of course you will get your copy cats but guess what world that's going to happen with petty much everything we do in life. Why would one suggest that because one person can fuction with this disorder that all can. It is wonderful that many can handle this and I hope they continue to be blessed with that HOWEVER all people can not cope as well and that's a fact. The movie was great when it was done the first time and not people want to throw their two cents in as always to discreidt something. Please get a life and move on an let a good movie be that a godd movie
Eric

Montréal, Canada

#6 Apr 2, 2006
Chris Kenron wrote:
I hope that the new movie version of the book Sybil will have an introduction and a trailer explaining that this was a novel and not a true story. It is my understanding that after the book and the movie first came out, there was a large increase in the numbers of multiple personality diagnoses,having started a trend. It may have been a gross exaggeration of a real person's life, not unlike "A Million Little Pieces".
You are a TRUE AOHELLER.

It was a real story - not just a novel.

The name of Sybil was chaged to protect her identity.
Carol Besch

United States

#7 Apr 18, 2006
Fell upon this site searching info re: old Sybil movie.

My thought is to watch it with my 12 year-old daughter. I wish a movie would come out about Borderline Personality Disorder. I don't function, and I can't balance. My friend/ex-roommate is DID. What an honor to have experienced, first hand, the love and intensity of this friend.

I wish the movie would help to explain how I, or anyone afflicted, explains their issues/struggles/failures to their children?

Sorry, needed to dump!
Terry

Rancho Mirage, CA

#8 May 21, 2006
Chris Kenron wrote:
I hope that the new movie version of the book Sybil will have an introduction and a trailer explaining that this was a novel and not a true story. It is my understanding that after the book and the movie first came out, there was a large increase in the numbers of multiple personality diagnoses,having started a trend. It may have been a gross exaggeration of a real person's life, not unlike "A Million Little Pieces".
A gross exageration !!! You are hiding in a bubble. I went on like this for years before properly diagnoised with bipolar disease. And I too like Sybil managed inbetween bouts of absolute devastation to graduate with my masters degree in nursing. I could go for months and not remember a thing of what I had been doing. Yet I managed in some insane way to continue to thrive. People who suffer like this is not an exageration.
Rachel

Baldwinsville, NY

#9 Jun 12, 2006
Actually, the novel was based on a true story. Everything but the name "Sybil" comes from fact.
karlaouellet

United States

#10 Jul 28, 2006
When is the new movie Sybil, staring Jessica Lange going to be shown on tv?
James

Brooklyn, NY

#11 Jul 30, 2006
Tiea Nartell wrote:
The original movie ruined many peoples lives and the course of there treatment was misguided for alm0st 3 decades. After the Movie there was a increase of diagnosis's. It was later proved the book and the Movie ws highly exaggerated. Many Therapists expected behavior much like Sybill's or the portrayal of Sally Fields was accurate and it was highly overdoone thus the emmy. People with DID are highly functioning people and many more subtly changeor switch quietly without all teh fanfare rather than dramatically throwing themselves around a office foaming at the mouth. I sure hope CBS gets it right this time.
There is a large community of people with DID all over the Globe that function and Parent and go to work every day and do not need daily babysitting and caretaking and intense thereapy as portrayed in Sybill.I also agree with the first PO. Since the real "Sybill" is alive maybe a interview would be in order also as of 2005 Dr. Cornelious Wilbur real files on Sybill were to be made public knowledge. Any cahnce CBS could get a peek? I hope we'll get the truth this time
Perhaps you need to watch this movie again, in it's original form! Sybil did not receive "babysitting" at all. In fact the sessions that she had with the doctor were over the course of 11 years, often three weeks apart, and the doctor also went above and beyond for Sybil. Sybil is the only known case of having as many as 16 personalities (at the time). Most DID cases have only two maybe three personalities, which would limit the amount of "flip-flopping" between personalities. Sybil was and remains to be an amazing movie and true account. You should see the "extras" on the 30th anniversary edition. They speak with the real "Sybil"'s friend and student, and you will find that in fact "Sybil" was very happy with the outcome of the movieand found it to be an excellent portrayal of her struggles.
Elle

Denver, CO

#12 Aug 28, 2006
Chris Kenron wrote:
I hope that the new movie version of the book Sybil will have an introduction and a trailer explaining that this was a novel and not a true story. It is my understanding that after the book and the movie first came out, there was a large increase in the numbers of multiple personality diagnoses,having started a trend. It may have been a gross exaggeration of a real person's life, not unlike "A Million Little Pieces".
While I agree that movies are often exaggerated I would not be so quick to assume that every person with a personality disorder copes well with it. I was very touched by this film. The chemistry of the actors was amazing. It made my heart hurt. However, I would agree that was some poetic lisence taken here.
I would assume personality disorders have to be judged on a case by case basis.
Laura

Saint Charles, MO

#13 Sep 24, 2006
The "Real Sybil" Shirly Mason died in 1998 of breast cancer. So don't be looking for an interview any time soon.
Laura

Saint Charles, MO

#14 Sep 24, 2006
Tiea Nartell wrote:
The original movie ruined many peoples lives and the course of there treatment was misguided for alm0st 3 decades. After the Movie there was a increase of diagnosis's. It was later proved the book and the Movie ws highly exaggerated. Many Therapists expected behavior much like Sybill's or the portrayal of Sally Fields was accurate and it was highly overdoone thus the emmy. People with DID are highly functioning people and many more subtly changeor switch quietly without all teh fanfare rather than dramatically throwing themselves around a office foaming at the mouth. I sure hope CBS gets it right this time.
There is a large community of people with DID all over the Globe that function and Parent and go to work every day and do not need daily babysitting and caretaking and intense thereapy as portrayed in Sybill.I also agree with the first PO. Since the real "Sybill" is alive maybe a interview would be in order also as of 2005 Dr. Cornelious Wilbur real files on Sybill were to be made public knowledge. Any cahnce CBS could get a peek? I hope we'll get the truth this time
<br><br>The "Real Sybil" Shirly Mason died in 1998 of breast cancer. So don't be looking for an interview any time soon.
NIkkie Nichole

Clarksville, TN

#15 Oct 26, 2006
I have been trying to locate this movie to purchase it. Any information on where I could buy this movie?
Anyone know if this is movie is about multiple personality disorders soely or also about her having Borderline personality disorder as well?
Thank you,
Nikkie
T Nartell

Redford, MI

#16 Nov 24, 2006
Laura wrote:
<quoted text><br><br>Th e "Real Sybil" Shirly Mason died in 1998 of breast cancer. So don't be looking for an interview any time soon.
Thanks for the correction, I knew she had passed away . I guess I was thinking of her freind wh I had seen interviewd , a lifetime freind who knew her during those days and spoke of Shrley Mason NOT being happy with outcome of mie and not okeying the facts. In fact most o fthe Moviue does not follow the true to aacount story.
The Movie barely follows the book, many Psychiatrists , do not believe in a The "Sybil" account, many more belive it was a faulse memory induced, by Dr Cornelius Wilbur M.D also keep in mind other Doctors who worked with Shrirly Mason a.k.a Sybil" were told by hirley Mason she switched FOR Dr Wilber did they also want her to switchor Cold she just remene herself?She also was addicted to Sodiem Pentethol( a nice smooth tranquial high ( wherr you might agree with ANYHING) and yet very addictive too,) that Dr Wilber gave her during abbrication sessions of abuse memories.

When Other Drs worked with her and refused to give her Sodeum pentehol sehbended sessions refusing to "switch or speazk of memories" When Dr Wilber was confronted about this she, simpley explained it away as Shirly being "difficult, and clingy to Dr Wilber"
But yep you are right seh died a of Breast Cancer a shame after having such a difficult life to die a difficult death too
Allygrl

Houston, TX

#17 Nov 27, 2006
Chris Kenron wrote:
I hope that the new movie version of the book Sybil will have an introduction and a trailer explaining that this was a novel and not a true story. It is my understanding that after the book and the movie first came out, there was a large increase in the numbers of multiple personality diagnoses,having started a trend. It may have been a gross exaggeration of a real person's life, not unlike "A Million Little Pieces".
Sybil IS A REAL STORY. The real Sybil existed as did Dr. Wilbur. How can you say that it was a novel and not a true story? Did you read the book? The real Sybil was named Shirley Mason. Look it up!
voicebox

United States

#18 Dec 11, 2006
Have any of you ever worked in a mental health facility? Have any of you ever treated anyone with this type of personality disorder? I am guessing you haven't. The actions and behavior of the "sybil" in the movie is not all that grossly exaggerated for a lot of people who suffer from severe chronic mental illness. Make sure you know what you are talking about before jumping onto a band wagon full of horse poop.
Armenki

Mexico, Mexico

#19 Dec 13, 2006
Where can i buy the sybil movie?
IndyGoBlue

Jeffersonville, IN

#20 Jan 5, 2007
Hi, I stumbled onto this blog trying to find information about the release of the new Sybil movie, which seems to be a closely guarded secret.
The original uncut version of Sybil (1976) is now available on DVD in the USA; whether it's compatible with overseas or Mexican formats, I don't know, you'd have to check that out.
As far as the controversy surrounding DID/MPD and Sybil, this is really two different stories. Yes, there's a tremendous amount of controversy surrounding the DID diagnosis, and especially Repressed Memory Syndrome. As of 1953-4 when Sybil was diagnosed, there were only 11 (IIRC) documented cases of MPD existing, none having as many personalities as Sybil. The only living (documented) MPD at the time was "Eve."

The primary sources of the controversy that has been mentioned, are Robert Rieber and Herbert Spiegel. To me, these two raise as many questions about themselves and their own motives as they do about the book and the diagnosis of MPD/DID. Rieber "forgot" he had this tape (which the book's author gave him) until after everyone directly involved with the story was dead. Sybil was a huge sensation in the 70's with the release of the book and the movie. That didn't jog his memory? The information on the tape was information that was in the book; Rieber just put his own spin on it. Spiegel was directly involved with the case, but primarily in his capacity as an expert in hypnosis. He basically used Sybil as a guinea pig for his research. He said that he didn't get involved in her therapy, nor did he know much about her history. When asked why he hadn't come forward sooner with his doubts about the story, his reply was that nobody had asked him.

This is a quote from the book, Sybil, published in 1973: "Acknowledgements (Sybil, pg. 18):[After kudos to "notable members of the psychiatric fraternity"] Dr. Herbert Spiegel, who did age regressions on Sybil and described her as 'a brilliant hysteric,' gave several hours to a valuable discussion of this case, which he knew first-hand."

I read elsewhere that Dr. Spiegel was asked to collaborate in the writing of the book, but refused because he disagreed with the diagnosis and made several other statements impugning (sp?) the reputation of Dr Wilber and the integrity of the book. These statements, of course, were made after 1998 (and the death of the three principles involved, Wilbur, Mason, and Schreiber.)

I don't know his motive in "coming forward" after all these years, but I seriously question his integrity. If he felt the book was a fraud, why didn't he expose it in 1973 or make it clear to Screiber and Wilbur that if they published it as written, he would expose the book as a fraud? I've never read an answer to those questions, either.

Nothing I've read has offered any real proof that the history (not novel) Sybil is either fraudulent or misleading. Many names and facts were changed to protect her identity, but this is also acknowledged

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Tootsie Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Character Actor Charles Durning Dies at Age 89 (Dec '12) Dec '12 john 3
News Renowned character actor Charles Durning dies (Dec '12) Dec '12 Old Sam 1
News Durning, king of character actors, dies in NYC (Dec '12) Dec '12 Elmer 1
News Dan Aykroyd: Bill Murray won't do 'Ghostbusters 3' (Mar '12) Mar '12 Kathwynn 2
News SAG to Honor Durning With Lifetime Award (Nov '07) Aug '11 pro 2
News Rat Pack legend thrills Marlborough Jazz Festiv... (Jul '10) Jul '10 Andy Derrick 1
News HBO Loves the 'Ladies' (Mar '10) May '10 Gery Walker 5
More from around the web