Thoughts on 'The Wizard of Oz' at 70

Thoughts on 'The Wizard of Oz' at 70

There are 5 comments on the www.sfgate.com story from Oct 29, 2009, titled Thoughts on 'The Wizard of Oz' at 70. In it, www.sfgate.com reports that:

It's impossible to watch "The Wizard of Oz" today without feeling, within minutes, some kind of mystical connection to people you will never know. When Judy Garland sings "Over the Rainbow," there's the sense of participating, just by watching, in some beautiful shared human experience. Yet, when it was released in 1939, the film's ultimate status as a timeless piece of Americana was hardly assured. The reviews were mixed-to-friendly, but not rapturous, and the box office was disappointing.

In any case, I watched the new "The Wizard of Oz" DVD, and it looks crisper than the previous "Wizard" DVD and lusher than the "Wizard" DVD before that. It also looks better coming out of my video projector than it did in theaters when it was re-released in 1998. So the movie is definitely looking good, better than ever. What follows are seven random impressions of "The Wizard of Oz," at 70: Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/10/29/MORR1ABE1D.DTL&type=entertainment#ixzz0VNfSdWIv

The eye-popping production design, including the Emerald City, looks better than ever in the 70th anniversary editions. It certainly looks better than it did on a black-and-white TV in the 1950s. Photo: © 2009 Turner Entertainment Co.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.sfgate.com.

Short Left Index Finger

Hamilton, Canada

#1 Oct 30, 2009
The heartless Tinwoodsman was the blue-collar factory worker,the brainless scarcrow was the farmer,and the cowardly lion was a republican the author didn't like.
Short Left Index Finger

Toronto, Canada

#2 Nov 1, 2009
Hip hip hooray!The Wizard Of Oz is out on blu-ray.I sure hope the new blu-ray version of the 1948 movie,The Red Shoes comes to Canada soon.
mplo

Everett, MA

#3 Dec 31, 2010
I saw the 70th anniversary re-release of "The Wizard of Oz" when it was out in the movie theatres in a place not far from where I presently reside. It's a nice film, and I had a good time, but "The Wizard of Oz" does not hold the same special place in my heart regarding movies as "West Side Story", which I'm hoping and waiting for a 50th-year anniversary theatrical re-release of.
Frank Stanton

New York, NY

#4 Dec 31, 2010
It was on tv the other day, and I'm still amazed at how superb the special effects were back in the 30's.

Although I would guess that most people know that Buddy Ebsen was originally cast as the Tin Woodsman, did you know that originally the beautiful Gale Sondergaard was cast as the Wicked Witch ?

But Margaret Hamilton became iconic.

“Zebra Girls Rule!”

Since: Jul 10

the Open Range

#5 Jan 2, 2011
The Wizard of Oz still totally rocks!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

The Wizard of Oz Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Protesters of Ferguson decision flood US streets (Nov '14) Nov '14 src 5
News 'The Wizard of Oz' at 75: Did you know...? (Aug '14) Aug '14 Kid_Tomorrow 1
News Judy Garland's 'Wizard of Oz' dress up for auction (Oct '12) Oct '12 Eighthman 1
News A Festival! in Stratford (Aug '12) Aug '12 Tippys Goldfish 3
News Gay Pride 2012: Anthems Perfect For Celebrating (Jun '12) Jul '12 SLIF 2
News Liza celebrates Judy Garland's 90th birthday (Jun '12) Jun '12 Angry Old White Dude 1
News Sir Wil 'Wiz' an all-age production that can't ... (Apr '12) Apr '12 Jean 1
More from around the web