Deal reached for Cypress Gardens passholders unhappy park is cl...

There are 20 comments on the Orlando Sentinel story from Dec 1, 2008, titled Deal reached for Cypress Gardens passholders unhappy park is cl.... In it, Orlando Sentinel reports that:

Declaring that owners are continuing to develop a program for Cypress Gardens season passholders who lost their autumn and winter seasons to an unexpected early park closing, Rob Harper, co-owner of the Winter ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Orlando Sentinel.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
margaritanlime

Denver, CO

#2 Dec 1, 2008
Imagine that-isn't that what it started as ? Botanical gardens with a ski show? Everything old is new again.
Boring

Cocoa Beach, FL

#3 Dec 1, 2008
Cypress Gardens sucks anyway, so who cares?
Boris

Winter Garden, FL

#6 Dec 1, 2008
Bet your last dollar Crazy Daisy Lynum is behind this whole thing. Could we just give her a spear and ship her back to Africa?
that park stinks

Kissimmee, FL

#7 Dec 1, 2008
I would demand my money back.
Geography

Kissimmee, FL

#8 Dec 1, 2008
Okay, how does this help season passholders? It is 107 miles from Cypress Gardens in Polk County to Silver Springs near Ocala. I am guessing that most Cypress Gardens pass holders live generally close to that park, so traveling to Ocala to see Christmas lights or a concert doesn't sound like a good deal.

They should simply refund the full purchase price for anyone who wants a refund or, at the least, offer to extend the Cypress Gardens pass for another 6 months to a year once that park reopens.

And why wouldn't the Sentinel reporter mention the distance between the two parks. That is a big part of the story. When it comes to things like the CVB and UCF, the Sentinel can't write negative stuff quick enough, but this is a case where the customers are clearly getting stiffed and the Sentinel seems to be oblivious and uninterested in calling out the ridiculousness of the offer.
KLC

Orlando, FL

#9 Dec 1, 2008
This place just cannot stay in business.
wtf

United States

#10 Dec 1, 2008
Jeewhiz, thanks for allowing me to drive HOURS away. We live 45 minutes south of Cypress Gardens so it's a 3 hour trip to Silver Springs. This is baloney.
Anon

Apopka, FL

#11 Dec 1, 2008
At least they are trying to do something, most would file Chapter 11 and so what.
C Shearer MT Dora FL

United States

#12 Dec 1, 2008
that park stinks wrote:
I would demand my money back.
Maybe we could hear from some of the ticket holders how they feel about the deal given or offered to them. When we visited the gardens it didn't stink (pun) Roses, orchids, and myriads of blooming fragrant plants.
Greg

Port Richey, FL

#14 Dec 1, 2008
The new owners are a joke. They only bought Cypress Gardens so that they could turn it into condos (their primary business is land development.) This is just phase 1 of a plan to make CG fail so that they get the land restrictions taken off.
Hate dumb people

Fort Myers, FL

#15 Dec 1, 2008
wtf wrote:
Jeewhiz, thanks for allowing me to drive HOURS away. We live 45 minutes south of Cypress Gardens so it's a 3 hour trip to Silver Springs. This is baloney.
The sad part is that this idot probable already got their moneys worth from the park after the second visit!

Stop complaining
Lifebuz

AOL

#16 Dec 1, 2008
Silver Springs is a bit far from Cypress Gardens. Maybe if you could transport them from their homes to Ocala. Then of course there would be a rental car to Silver Springs. There would also have to be an overnight stay in Ocala at a very good hotel.

It would only be fair.
PkD

Orlando, FL

#17 Dec 1, 2008
C Shearer MT Dora FL wrote:
<quoted text>Maybe we could hear from some of the ticket holders how they feel about the deal given or offered to them. When we visited the gardens it didn't stink (pun) Roses, orchids, and myriads of blooming fragrant plants.
Ok, as an annual pass holder:

Ocala is really too far to be useful, but I appreciate that they did something (especially if they don't reopen, since they could have just filed bankruptcy and completely stiffed us.)

If they do reopen, this a nice gesture, but I will expect them to do significantly more to make it up to us. If they really go over the top to make it up, I'll probably renew my family's pass when it expires (assuming the price is right considering the reduced offerings in the park). If they do not do enough, I won't renew our passes. Why take the risk it could shut down again if they don't make it worth our while to take that risk?

In short, I consider this a nice gesture that can start building back some goodwill, but not of any practical value.
Floridadude

Orlando, FL

#18 Dec 1, 2008
Cypress Gardens is a very beautiful but sadly a pre-Disney attraction that can not compete with the big boys no matter how hard you try. I pesonally think this whole area should be turned over to the State of Florida and become a State park. It is off the beaten path, hard to find for most tourists, and with the elimination of the rides, only people over 40 or 50 who like to take things at a slow pace will now go to this place.
studentfsu

Austin, TX

#19 Dec 1, 2008
The deal was too good to be true. Season passes were cheap. The park was better than Disney for kids under 8. It was a little kept secret that if more people in Orlando and Tampa knew what they got for less than $100 a year I am sure more would have flocked to this place. I have said for the past two years I can not figure out how they will survive charging what they did. We have passes for Disney as well and my three kids liked Cyprees Gardens better.
As far as Silver Springs, I do not think I will be making that drive. With that said I am not going to go crazy about not getting any money back because if you went more than twice you got your moneys worth.
The funny thing is that I won two free tickets in a golf tournament the week before the closing was announced....
Del

Altamonte Springs, FL

#20 Dec 1, 2008
"Owners said the park would undergo extensive changes, reinventing itself as primarily a botanical gardens and water park with a water ski show"

Wasn't that what it was before they sunk all that money into making it a theme park!?!?
Tonya

Orlando, FL

#23 Dec 1, 2008
I dont know is that really a deal? What if you don't dig Ronnie Milsap?
Funny

Lake Mary, FL

#24 Dec 1, 2008
What's funny is that people actually buy season tickets to Cypress Gardens. You all deserve this punishment for being so foolish. I mean, Cypress Gardens? Come on now, what a joke.
Krystal

Winter Haven, FL

#26 Dec 3, 2008
#24, I live in Polk County and I bought passes for entertainment close to home.I am foolish and deserve punishment for spending our hard earned money to buy these passes when the owners just did a major screw jobs over on the very people who kept that park going?? Laugh at yourself, your comment in itself was a complete joke!!
tootie

United States

#27 Dec 21, 2008
Cypress Gardens sucks and no matter what they do the park will not make it. For one thing I feel as though they stole money from myself and all gold passport memebers when they did their little closing thing. They took money on the 4th of July from people and gave them a pass that was good until Dec. 31.... so they stole again. You can not tell me that they didn't know they were going to be doing this. HOGWASH

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

The Temptations Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News The Temptations: Classic soul sound still rolli... (Nov '10) Mar '12 WAYNE M 6
News Enchilada fiesta to debut eating oompetition (Jul '11) Jul '11 lcnative 4
News Motown gems come alive (Mar '11) Mar '11 Marc 1
News Motown's legendary Temptations to perform at Si... (May '10) Jun '10 val 4
News Blue Ridge Fest kicks off Friday night (May '10) May '10 Blue Ridge Outdoors 2
News finally some one asked him the question! (Nov '09) Apr '10 I Miss Him 49
News Concert review: Temptations still full of soul,... (Jul '09) Jul '09 Not Racer 2
More from around the web